AskEU - updaing VLC media player
2021-05-23 16:09:30 UTC
I have version 3.0.12 installed and it tells me there is an update,
which when I say I want to download it, gives me a message that the
installer won't launch automatically and I need to run it manually.

It appears to download the installer ok but problem is, I can't find it!
I don't get an option to select *where* to save it, so I would presume
it goes into Downloads but there's nothing showing there as downloaded
to-day. I can't search for the installer by name because I don't know
what it's called. I tried searching for .zip files but it only found a
few relating to other things.

Can anyrat tell me what the installer is called and/or where I might
find it?
Wrexham, UK
John Ashby
2021-05-23 16:24:29 UTC
I have version 3.0.12 installed and it tells me there is an update,
which when I say I want to download it, gives me a message that the
installer won't launch automatically and I need to run it manually.
It appears to download the installer ok but problem is, I can't find it!
 I don't get an option to select *where* to save it, so I would presume
it goes into Downloads but there's nothing showing there as downloaded
to-day.  I can't search for the installer by name because I don't know
what it's called.  I tried searching for .zip files but it only found a
few relating to other things.
Can anyrat tell me what the installer is called and/or where I might
find it?
Looking at the download web page it looks as though it should be called
vlc-3.0.14-win32.exe

2021-05-23 18:15:58 UTC
I have version 3.0.12 installed and it tells me there is an update,
which when I say I want to download it, gives me a message that the
installer won't launch automatically and I need to run it manually.
It appears to download the installer ok but problem is, I can't find
it!   I don't get an option to select *where* to save it, so I would
presume it goes into Downloads but there's nothing showing there as
downloaded to-day.  I can't search for the installer by name because I
don't know what it's called.  I tried searching for .zip files but it
only found a few relating to other things.
Can anyrat tell me what the installer is called and/or where I might
find it?
Looking at the download web page it looks as though it should be called
vlc-3.0.14-win32.exe
If for any reason that doesn't solve it, may I suggest Ninite?
https://ninite.com/
It's a wondrous site (and another thing for which I'm immensely grateful
to umra). Their installers just do everything for you, including
stripping out all the junk that sometimes is added on.

Just scroll down a bit, check the box for VLC and then scroll down
further and click Get Your Ninite. The installer will appear in your
Downloads folder: double click to run it and just let it do its stuff.
And any time you want to update, just run the same installer again; it
always checks and installs the latest version.

I love Ninite and use it for updating and installing as much as possible.
--
Sid
2021-05-23 22:28:37 UTC
I have version 3.0.12 installed and it tells me there is an update,
which when I say I want to download it, gives me a message that the
installer won't launch automatically and I need to run it manually.
It appears to download the installer ok but problem is, I can't find it!
 I don't get an option to select *where* to save it, so I would presume
it goes into Downloads but there's nothing showing there as downloaded
to-day.  I can't search for the installer by name because I don't know
what it's called.  I tried searching for .zip files but it only found a
few relating to other things.
Can anyrat tell me what the installer is called and/or where I might
find it?
Looking at the download web page it looks as though it should be called
vlc-3.0.14-win32.exe
Aha! Got it!

Like a mug, I went and downloaded the update and I too couldn't find
it anywhere either.

However, the advice at
https://www.videolan.org/vlc/releases/3.0.12-update.html
really does work.

As it says:
If you already ran the updater and it downloaded the installer, you
can run it manually by opening a file explorer (Windows key + E, or
just click the explorer icon) and enter %TEMP% as the location.
You'll see the installer there. It will be named
depending on whether you're using a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows.

It wasn't immediately obvious to me exactly what "enter %TEMP% as the
location" actually meant but when I deleted the contents of the box
that says "This PC >" and replaced it with %TEMP% it automagically
took me to the right place. The file in question was a very long way
down the list of other temp files in that folder. A double click
kicked it into life and I now have the upgrade on my machine.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

2021-05-23 18:43:15 UTC
I have version 3.0.12 installed and it tells me there is an update,
which when I say I want to download it, gives me a message that the
installer won't launch automatically and I need to run it manually.
It appears to download the installer ok but problem is, I can't find it!
 I don't get an option to select *where* to save it, so I would presume
it goes into Downloads but there's nothing showing there as downloaded
to-day.  I can't search for the installer by name because I don't know
what it's called.  I tried searching for .zip files but it only found a
few relating to other things.
find it?
I had the same problem.
My "fix" might not suit you, but I uninstalled VLC from my PC (there's
an option for hanging on to your settings) and then downloaded VLC
afresh from their website.
It worked without any problem, and it knew about all the files I had
previously played etc, so I lost nothing in the process.
Tom Strickland
2021-05-23 22:23:00 UTC
I had this problem as well. Turns out VLC downloads the update to your TEMP directory. This is usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp
but you can open a command window and enter echo %TEMP% to find out. You might find this link helpful
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/vlc-media-player-3014-fixes-broken-windows-automatic-updater/
Tom
Jenny M Benson
2021-05-23 22:31:23 UTC
Post by Tom Strickland
I had this problem as well. Turns out VLC downloads the update to your TEMP directory. This is usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp
Thanks, everyrat! Never even knew that Temp directory existed, but
found it and found the installer there.

Thanks for the info about Ninite, Sid. That will be very useful, I think.
Wrexham, UK
Mike McMillan
2021-05-24 08:11:19 UTC
Post by Tom Strickland
I had this problem as well. Turns out VLC downloads the update to your
TEMP directory. This is usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp
but you can open a command window and enter echo %TEMP% to find out. You
might find this link helpful
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/vlc-media-player-3014-fixes-broken-windows-automatic-updater/
Tom
New Umrat? If so, WELCOME Tom!