Marine One at Risk!
2020-10-03 12:05:01 UTC
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
Mike
2020-10-03 12:09:48 UTC
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
Dunno what happened to the rest of the message but I went on to explain
that the cuffs are the components that attach the rotor blades to the drive
shaft in such a way that all the control functions for the blades are
possible. In the case of the Sea Kings, the castings are so heavy before
machining commenced, we had to use a hoist to lift them onto the profile
milling table.
2020-10-03 22:28:42 UTC
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
Dunno what happened to the rest of the message but I went on to explain
that the cuffs are the components that attach the rotor blades to the drive
shaft in such a way that all the control functions for the blades are
possible. In the case of the Sea Kings, the castings are so heavy before
machining commenced, we had to use a hoist to lift them onto the profile
milling table.
Unfortunately, as the Westland was built under licence from Sikorsky,
I think it is very unlikely your parts turned up in their aircraft.

I say unfortunately because if your parts had been used, at least they
would have known what size they were. Until earlier this year, the USA
had two, different, measurements for their standard foot and though I
think it likely that their aviation industry probably know which feet
and inches they ought to have used. But better not remind Lockheed
Martin about their mars Orbiter, eh?

2020-10-03 12:13:03 UTC
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu". If he's very ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
Peter
2020-10-03 12:28:00 UTC
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu". If he's very ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he's ternimally ill, no vote will save him.

ternimally? My spell-checker objects.
Mike
2020-10-03 17:52:49 UTC
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu". If he's very ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
Looking on the bright side.
As long as he is in either hospital for quarantine, he can't do any more
of those 'share your ailments with others' rallies.

Maybe he can stay in hospital until after the election?
Steve Hague
2020-10-04 08:42:55 UTC
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu". If he's very ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim to
his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've ever
had.
Steve.
Mike
2020-10-04 09:01:18 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim to
his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've ever
had.
He (or his followers) will say that anyway. Evidence/proof of anything
they say is irrelevant.
--
Sid
2020-10-04 15:51:19 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim to
his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've ever
had.
He (or his followers) will say that anyway. Evidence/proof of anything
they say is irrelevant.
I don't think he can be too ill: only this morning he ordered a
staffer to send out for one of Bellamy's meat pies.

2020-10-04 16:05:13 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim to
his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've ever
had.
He (or his followers) will say that anyway. Evidence/proof of anything
they say is irrelevant.
I don't think he can be too ill: only this morning he ordered a
staffer to send out for one of Bellamy's meat pies.
Nick
‘Where’s the Beef?’
2020-10-04 19:58:21 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim to
his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've ever
had.
He (or his followers) will say that anyway. Evidence/proof of anything
they say is irrelevant.
I don't think he can be too ill: only this morning he ordered a
staffer to send out for one of Bellamy's meat pies.
I'm pretty sure Trump wouldn't understand that one.

If he says that reports of his demise are "Fake News" - that might be
the one time I would accept his word on something.
2020-10-05 08:36:38 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Rather than ‘Grossly Exaggerated’?
2020-10-05 19:17:04 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim to
his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've ever
had.
He (or his followers) will say that anyway. Evidence/proof of anything
they say is irrelevant.
I don't think he can be too ill: only this morning he ordered a
staffer to send out for one of Bellamy's meat pies.
Pitt the Younger snuffed it at age 47 (not 74).
2020-10-05 23:57:58 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
I thought it would have made it too cryptic if I had offered Ymalleb
instead.

Do you find that those pies repeat on you ?
Nick Odell
2020-10-05 18:43:19 UTC
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 16:39:11 +0100, BrritSki
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Yes. And they are bloomin well going to keep on repeating until
somebody gives me a BTN - even if you - I mean the BTM - cast said
nomination aside.

2020-10-05 15:51:13 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Might they repeat 2. 141592653589793238 times?
2020-10-05 19:08:08 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Apologies. That was neither humble, nor modest nor polite. Perhaps one
of the undereported symptoms of Covid-19 and/or lockdown will turn out
to be believing ones attempts at bad taste are far better than they
really are.

You might think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-10-05 18:21:57 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim to
his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've ever
had.
He (or his followers) will say that anyway. Evidence/proof of anything
they say is irrelevant.
I don't think he can be too ill: only this morning he ordered a
staffer to send out for one of Bellamy's meat pies.
Then he ate it and the world dropped out of his bottom?

Peter
2020-10-04 14:35:14 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim to
his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've ever
had.
Steve.
AIA in finding it deplorable that the POTUS (the present one or any
other) is called the leader of the free world? A genuinely free people
would neither have nor need a leader.
Mike
2020-10-04 23:51:41 UTC
Post by Peter
AIA in finding it deplorable that the POTUS (the present one or any
other) is called the leader of the free world? A genuinely free people
would neither have nor need a leader.
Or a ‘First Woman’.
Definitely needs a first cat and dog, though.

I admire him for the constancy of his curiosity, his effortless sense of
authority and his ability to deliver good science without gimmicks.
- Michael Palin on Sir David Attenborough, RT 2016/5/7-13
Peter
Are you ribbing me?
Anne B
2020-10-04 17:16:06 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Steve Hague
I understand the Donald was ferried to horsepiddal in a Sikorsky Sea King
helly co Peter; fairly safe by now as it is well over 40 years since I
machined any cuffs* for these birds whilst working at Westland Helicopters.
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
And if he makes a full and rapid recovery, he will no doubt proclaim
to his fellow Mercans that this proves he's the toughest POTUS they've
ever had.
Steve.
AIA in finding it deplorable that the POTUS (the present one or any
other) is called the leader of the free world?  A genuinely free people
would neither have nor need a leader.
And he is elected by the voters of just one country. He is a threat to
all of us, but we get no say in whether or not he gets (re-)elected.

Anne B
Mike
Steve Hague
2020-10-05 08:07:45 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Are you proposing a One World Government?
Conspiracy Theories R Us.
Anne B
2020-10-05 11:34:17 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Not at all. Just that before you style yourself 'leader of xxx', you
should make sure that all the people of 'xxx' are willing to have you as
their leader.

Anne B
Penny
2020-10-05 14:18:14 UTC
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 12:34:17 +0100, Anne B <***@btinternet.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Anne B
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
AIA in finding it deplorable that the POTUS (the present one or any
other) is called the leader of the free world?  A genuinely free people
would neither have nor need a leader.
And he is elected by the voters of just one country. He is a threat to
all of us, but we get no say in whether or not he gets (re-)elected.
Anne B
LW
Are you proposing a One World Government?
Conspiracy Theories R Us.
Not at all. Just that before you style yourself 'leader of xxx', you
should make sure that all the people of 'xxx' are willing to have you as
their leader.
But that's not how democracy works, either here or in the USA.

I've only failed to vote in an election once since I turned 18. The number
of times the person I voted for has been elected is a tiny percentage of
those occasions. The number of times this lead to the PM being supported by
the person I voted for is probably 2.
Anne B
2020-10-05 14:48:57 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
[...]
OK, then, all the people of xxx should have the opportunity to say
whether or not they accept you as their leader before you can claim to
be leader of xxx.

Democracy plainly doesn't work in any case in the USA because the
electoral college system means a candidate can be elected POTUS even
though (s)he gets fewer than 50% of the actual votes cast.

Anne B
Chris J Dixon
2020-10-05 14:54:01 UTC
Post by Anne B
Democracy plainly doesn't work in any case in the USA because the
electoral college system means a candidate can be elected POTUS even
though (s)he gets fewer than 50% of the actual votes cast.
I don't claim great understanding of the process, but the
imbalance between different UK areas in votes per seat seems to
pale into insignificance compared with the US method.

Much speculation on what would happen if the chosen candidate was
no longer available to take office by the time the college meets.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-10-05 15:13:09 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Anne B
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
[...]
Ah but there is a technique whereby one ensures that the ‘opposition’ is
exposed to a potentially fatal illness or something to eliminate them from
the competition. Perhaps achievable by having an infected person cavort
about the area and also ensure that one is able to recruit others to help
spread an infection - can’t think of any way to contrive this into coming
about but perhaps where one might be able to ensure your closest staff
spent time in your proximity for a while...
Peter
2020-10-05 17:51:59 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Anne B
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
[...]
I am minded not to think of a head of government as a leader (I don't
wish to be led anywhere) but rather as a civil servant of a particular
kind (specifically, the sackable kind). I think of a head of state as
being no more than a figurehead or symbol, and therefore best not
simultaneously the head of government.
Anne B
Steve Hague
2020-10-05 15:15:12 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
[...]
I've voted in every general election since I was 18, and on only one
occasion has the candidate I voted for been elected. That was the only
time I ever voted Tory 😘. I was voting for the man though, not the
party. He was the sitting MP, and supported his constituency over his
party, to the possible detriment of his political career.
2020-10-06 09:33:20 UTC
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 16:15:12 +0100, Steve Hague <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Steve Hague
I've voted in every general election since I was 18, and on only one
occasion has the candidate I voted for been elected. That was the only
time I ever voted Tory ?. I was voting for the man though, not the
party. He was the sitting MP, and supported his constituency over his
party, to the possible detriment of his political career.
That's pretty much what I think an MP should do. They should probably sit
as an independent though.

When I moved here, Lembit Opik was the local MP. I don't think his party
particularly liked him but I felt he did a good job for the constituency.

I'm trying to recall which book it was in which the central character,
having decided to 'go into politics' was advised it didn't matter which
party he aligned himself with.
2020-10-05 12:33:38 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
What a weird idea: vote for someone in your state you have never met
(presumably) for then to vote for someone you would only have seen if you
have access to the modern world (and can afford a newspaper)

2020-10-05 14:03:44 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Sincerely Chris
The Donals said that ‘He gets it now’ ITHM ‘I’ve got it now.’
2020-10-05 18:28:47 UTC
On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 18:16:06 +0100, Anne B
Post by Anne B
Post by Peter
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
It has been tried. Remember Operation Clark County in 2004? That was a
disaster.

and very funny :)
Sam Plusnet
2020-10-04 20:01:08 UTC
Post by Peter
AIA in finding it deplorable that the POTUS (the present one or any
other) is called the leader of the free world?  A genuinely free people
would neither have nor need a leader.
A leader of a free world which is, apparently, unable to have much say
in the installation of this 'leader'.
198kHz
2020-10-04 11:33:06 UTC
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu". If he's very ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
We must hope for the best...

198kHz
Mike
2020-10-04 12:20:59 UTC
Post by 198kHz
Post by Sally Thompson
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu". If he's very ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
We must hope for the best...
http://youtu.be/kxKW14LDG58
What is the current death toll? Might Donald Trump it?
2020-10-04 13:41:34 UTC
Post by 198kHz
Post by Sally Thompson
It's a tricky situation isn't it. If he's only a little bit ill, he will
use it to say "I told you it was only like the flu".  If he's very
ill, he
might get the sympathy vote.
We must hope for the best...
http://youtu.be/kxKW14LDG58
I hope he gets better. But I've been hoping that since 2016.