The surrogate baby - questions
2019-01-22 11:36:53 UTC
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.

Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
Clive Arthur
2019-01-22 12:39:56 UTC
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
And how will they react when they find it's twins?

Cheers
Clive
Mike
2019-01-22 12:50:35 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Penny
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
And how will they react when they find it's twins?
Cheers
One each? - easier when they annul the marriage.
Clive Arthur
2019-01-22 13:50:42 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Penny
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
And how will they react when they find it's twins?
Cheers
One each? - easier when they annul the marriage.
A Supreme idea!

'Baby, baby, where did our love go?'

Cheers
Clive
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-22 15:45:45 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Penny
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
And how will they react when they find it's twins?
Cheers
They could then have their divorce, and have one each?

(Or is it a divorce for a civil partnership? IIRR, their joining was
before marriage was possible.)

Hadrian's Wall has never been a border between Scotland and England. It lies
entirely within England but, when it was built in AD 122 by the Romans as a
defence against the raiding Picts, the future English were still in Germany
and the Scottish were still in Ireland.
- Michael Cullen, Skye, in RT 2014/12/6-12
carolet
2019-01-22 17:00:28 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Penny
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
 Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
And how will they react when they find it's twins?
Cheers
They could then have their divorce, and have one each?
(Or is it a divorce for a civil partnership? IIRR, their joining was
before marriage was possible.)
They did have a civil partnership, but I'm pretty sure that they got
married later on, when that became a possibility.

I think that Rob told Ian all about Adam's indiscretions on the eve (or
thereabouts) of the wedding. That could have been just before the civil
partnering, but wasn't that long before Rob was around? And wouldn't Ian
have reacted more and not gone through with it then, before he was
legally bound to Adam.
2019-01-22 15:49:07 UTC
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-22 16:12:16 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
Why do you say that? Presumably Home Farm Inc. would have to take on
someone to fill in for Adam, as would Gay Grables for Ian. If anything,
finding someone with Adam's skillset (management as well as doing a lot
of the jobs, such as driving/operating the farm machinery), especially
someone willing to do it on a part-time basis, could well be more
difficult than finding someone to fill in for Ian.

I'm not quite sure what Adam _does_ actually do all day (at least when
he's not driving a tractor or combine), but I've always had the
impression it's a fairly full-time job (and that he's fairly committed
to doing it: not always in _ways_ that work, but he's no shirker IMO).

DavidK
2019-01-22 17:00:20 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
Because, from what we have heard, his job is much less structured. I
didn't say he could spare the time more than Ian, I said he could
organise his time more easily. He can choose, to some degree, when to
walk the fields, when to sow the seed, when to spray herbicide, when to
sell the caravans. Ian can't say to his customers that supper will be 30
minutes late because baby was feeling fractious.

When does Rory finish school and take over some of the farm-work and
could Alice employ Ed to take over the greenhouses?
Penny
2019-01-22 18:00:50 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 17:00:20 +0000, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by DavidK
When does Rory finish school and take over some of the farm-work and
could Alice employ Ed to take over the greenhouses?
I don't think Rory is interested in working at Home Farm. He has found, at
Brookfield, that there are other ways of doing things which may suit him
better although I can't see Brookfield employing him.

Maybe he will wander off on an extended gap year, as Adam did. Anything to
escape his warring family.
2019-01-22 19:38:40 UTC
I don't think Rory is interested in working at Home Farm. He has found, at
Brookfield, that there are other ways of doing things which may suit him
better although I can't see Brookfield employing him.
I got the feeling that, having had his eyes set on something flash, in
the city, it has suddenly occurred to him that being his own boss, on
the farm, might be rather more enjoyable. Hence all the detailed
questions he was asking Adam about what he actually did all day.
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.
carolet
2019-01-23 17:01:06 UTC
I don't think Rory is interested in working at Home Farm. He has found, at
Brookfield, that there are other ways of doing things which may suit him
better although I can't see Brookfield employing him.
I got the feeling that, having had his eyes set on something flash, in
the city, it has suddenly occurred to him that being his own boss, on
the farm, might be rather more enjoyable.  Hence all the detailed
questions he was asking Adam about what he actually did all day.
I certainly thought that.

It has been on the cards since Ruairi arrived that there would
eventually be a competition between Brian's son and Jenny's son as to
who would eventually be in charge of the Farm. Which one do we think
Brian would prefer to follow him? Perhaps it is less likely now that
they have the family partnership, but I wouldn't rule out such dispute yet.
2019-01-23 17:24:28 UTC
In message <q2a6kh$r3c$***@dont-email.me>, carolet
<***@gmail.com> writes:
It has been on the cards since Ruairi arrived that there would
eventually be a competition between Brian's son and Jenny's son as to
I fear so.
Post by carolet
who would eventually be in charge of the Farm. Which one do we think
Brian would prefer to follow him? Perhaps it is less likely now that
Good question! Especially if Biriani gets illogical in his old age at
any point (not that there's IMO any sign of that yet).
Post by carolet
they have the family partnership, but I wouldn't rule out such dispute yet.
Presumably if it got nasty Jenny could show that she was extremely
tolerant (of Brian) while R. was growing up. How much that would affect
things, I don't know.

Thay have a saying for it: /Geiz ist geil/, which roughly translates as, "It's
sexy to be stingly". - Joe Fattorini, RT insert 2016/9/10-16
Serena Blanchflower
2019-01-23 20:17:59 UTC
I don't think Rory is interested in working at Home Farm. He has found, at
Brookfield, that there are other ways of doing things which may suit him
better although I can't see Brookfield employing him.
I got the feeling that, having had his eyes set on something flash, in
the city, it has suddenly occurred to him that being his own boss, on
the farm, might be rather more enjoyable.  Hence all the detailed
questions he was asking Adam about what he actually did all day.
I certainly thought that.
It has been on the cards since Ruairi arrived that there would
eventually be a competition between Brian's son and Jenny's son as to
who would eventually be in charge of the Farm. Which one do we think
Brian would prefer to follow him? Perhaps it is less likely now that
they have the family partnership, but I wouldn't rule out such dispute yet.
Of course, the age gap is such that, if it wasn't TA, there wouldn't be
too much of an issue. By the time Ruairi is old enough to take over
the farm, Adam will be approaching retirement age and so it could be a
pretty natural handing on of the farm. However, this being TA, we can
be pretty sure it won't be anything as civilised as that.
Broken pencils are pointless.
carolet
2019-01-23 22:40:45 UTC
[...]
But won't Adam want to pass it on to his son?
2019-01-24 02:37:04 UTC
[...]
How old will Ruairi be when the putative offspring reaches farm-managing
age?
2019-01-24 10:54:13 UTC
But won't Adam want to pass it on to his son?
The age gap between Adam and his child will be roughly the same as the
age gap between Brian and Ruairi. He will have reached an age where he
will probably be pretty much ready to retire before it's clear whether
offsprung is even interested in farming.

He's also not the owner of the farm, only a shareholder and partner, so
he won't have had the same expectation that his child(ren) should
inherit the lot, that farmers like Brian and David have.
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every
part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. (John Glenn)
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-24 20:07:53 UTC
He's also not the owner of the farm, only a shareholder and partner, so
he won't have had the same expectation that his child(ren) should
inherit the lot, that farmers like Brian and David have.
But people having unrealistic expectations is often the driving force
behind soap operas/W everyday stories of Country Folk.

Eddie always felt his get-rich-quick schemes were bound to work.
Umra kept hoping for the return of Nelson.
2019-01-24 11:25:25 UTC
Of course, the age gap is such that, if it wasn't TA, there wouldn't be
too  much of an issue.  By the time Ruairi is old enough to take over
the farm, Adam will be approaching retirement age and so it could be a
pretty natural handing on of the farm.  However, this being TA, we can
be pretty sure it won't be anything as civilised as that.
Won't Adam want his own son to follow in his footsteps?
2019-01-24 11:40:05 UTC
Of course, the age gap is such that, if it wasn't TA, there wouldn't
be too  much of an issue.  By the time Ruairi is old enough to take
over the farm, Adam will be approaching retirement age and so it could
be a pretty natural handing on of the farm.  However, this being TA,
we can be pretty sure it won't be anything as civilised as that.
Won't Adam want his own son to follow in his footsteps?
I refer you to the answer I gave Carolet, up thataway.

I find it interesting that both you you assume a son for Adam, rather
than a daughter. I think I'll make an OP that Lexi's baby will be a
girl, if only to give the SWs endless fun with men not understanding
what girls need[1].

[1] Although it's taken for granted that single mothers will be fine at
bringing up sons.
Be careful what you wish for; it just may come true.
Mike
2019-01-24 12:18:08 UTC
Of course, the age gap is such that, if it wasn't TA, there wouldn't
be too  much of an issue.  By the time Ruairi is old enough to take
over the farm, Adam will be approaching retirement age and so it could
be a pretty natural handing on of the farm.  However, this being TA,
we can be pretty sure it won't be anything as civilised as that.
Won't Adam want his own son to follow in his footsteps?
I refer you to the answer I gave Carolet, up thataway.
I find it interesting that both you you assume a son for Adam, rather
than a daughter. I think I'll make an OP that Lexi's baby will be a
girl, if only to give the SWs endless fun with men not understanding
what girls need[1].
[1] Although it's taken for granted that single mothers will be fine at
bringing up sons.
Or to quote the dialogue from an old 78 rpm record I had ‘On the Dole’
‘Is that a boy or a girl?’ - ‘Oh no, just an ordinary child you know.’
2019-01-24 12:39:24 UTC
Of course, the age gap is such that, if it wasn't TA, there wouldn't
be too  much of an issue.  By the time Ruairi is old enough to take
over the farm, Adam will be approaching retirement age and so it
could be a pretty natural handing on of the farm.  However, this
being TA, we can be pretty sure it won't be anything as civilised as
that.
Won't Adam want his own son to follow in his footsteps?
I refer you to the answer I gave Carolet, up thataway.
I find it interesting that both you you assume a son for Adam, rather
than a daughter.  I think I'll make an OP that Lexi's baby will be a
girl, if only to give the SWs endless fun with men not understanding
what girls need[1].
I don't really assume that it will be a son, I just thought it followed
on better after talking about Brian's son and Jenny's son. I left out
mention of Jenny's farming daughter as well.

The thing is, the sex of babies born in Ambridge isn't as random as it
is in the rest of the world. It is a question of whether the story of
men bringing up a girl in the next few years or struggles about control
of Home Farm in some decades time (and whether that requires the baby to
be a boy) appeals more to the gods of Ambridge. I can see possibilities
either way.
2019-01-24 12:47:35 UTC
Although it's taken for granted that single mothers will be fine at
bringing up sons.
EG Helen. I wonder if Henry has got to grips with a proper cricket ball
yet?
2019-01-24 13:10:50 UTC
Although it's taken for granted that single mothers will be fine at
bringing up sons.
EG Helen. I wonder if Henry has got to grips with a proper cricket ball
yet?
Does Hellbent like bats - or not?
Peter Withey
2019-01-24 12:26:56 UTC
Of course, the age gap is such that, if it wasn't TA, there wouldn't be
too  much of an issue.  By the time Ruairi is old enough to take over
the farm, Adam will be approaching retirement age and so it could be a
pretty natural handing on of the farm.  However, this being TA, we can
be pretty sure it won't be anything as civilised as that.
Won't Adam want his own son to follow in his footsteps?
Assuming A, that the child is a boy and B, Lexi comes back from
Bulgaria.

B, could lead to some interesting legal problems.
Pete
Chris McMillan
2019-01-24 18:58:54 UTC
[...]
I’m assuming the recent wailings from Ruairi when David asked Ben to help
on the farm and asked Ruairi to go with him, that Ruairi’s no farmer, but a
bookish youth (fsvo).

2019-01-24 20:28:56 UTC
I’m assuming the recent wailings from Ruairi when David asked Ben to help
on the farm and asked Ruairi to go with him, that Ruairi’s no farmer, but a
bookish youth (fsvo).
I don't think we've heard anything to suggest he's bookish. He does
seem to have more indoor and, perhaps, urban interests though - the only
ones we really know though are computer games and cars. It's clear
that, until now, he really hasn't had any interest in the day to day
activities of farming.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood (Marie Curie)
Chris McMillan
2019-01-23 13:47:53 UTC
Post by DavidK
When does Rory finish school and take over some of the farm-work and
could Alice employ Ed to take over the greenhouses?
I don't think Rory is interested in working at Home Farm. He has found, at
Brookfield, that there are other ways of doing things which may suit him
better although I can't see Brookfield employing him.
Maybe he will wander off on an extended gap year, as Adam did. Anything to
escape his warring family.
Except I’m not sure he’ll get the handouts the others have bern given

2019-01-23 13:56:44 UTC
Post by DavidK
When does Rory finish school and take over some of the farm-work and
could Alice employ Ed to take over the greenhouses?
I don't think Rory is interested in working at Home Farm. He has found, at
Brookfield, that there are other ways of doing things which may suit him
better although I can't see Brookfield employing him.
Maybe he will wander off on an extended gap year, as Adam did. Anything to
escape his warring family.
Except I’m not sure he’ll get the handouts the others have bern given
It depends. I think Brian will win his court case, avoid huge fine and
claim damages. Then we'll hear that the Gills who've gone belly up (fish
puns'R'us) so he'll buy the house back for less than he sold it for.

T'was ever thus, salt water or fresh, turds always rise to the top, as I
read in the excellent first Aurelio Zen book last night.
BrritSki
PS OP
Penny
2019-01-23 16:38:24 UTC
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 13:47:53 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by DavidK
When does Rory finish school and take over some of the farm-work and
could Alice employ Ed to take over the greenhouses?
I don't think Rory is interested in working at Home Farm. He has found, at
Brookfield, that there are other ways of doing things which may suit him
better although I can't see Brookfield employing him.
Maybe he will wander off on an extended gap year, as Adam did. Anything to
escape his warring family.
Except I’m not sure he’ll get the handouts the others have bern given
Doesn't he have some sort of trust fund?

Mined ewe, I know some parents who raided the one set up for their kids by
the grandfather...
2019-01-22 21:06:22 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find
the time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam
would find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
Why do you say that? Presumably Home Farm Inc. would have to take on
someone to fill in for Adam, as would Gay Grables for Ian. If
anything, finding someone with Adam's skillset (management as well as
doing a lot of the jobs, such as driving/operating the farm
[]
Post by DavidK
Because, from what we have heard, his job is much less structured. I
didn't say he could spare the time more than Ian, I said he could
organise his time more easily. He can choose, to some degree, when to
I apologise, you did indeed say that.
Post by DavidK
walk the fields, when to sow the seed, when to spray herbicide, when to
sell the caravans. Ian can't say to his customers that supper will be
30 minutes late because baby was feeling fractious.
Good point.

Sarcasm: Barbed ire
DavidK
2019-01-23 10:28:50 UTC
Post by DavidK
walk the fields, when to sow the seed, when to spray herbicide,
I cannot decide if I have sinned. Some time ago I read an excerpt from
"Advice to a Young Scientist" by someone famous to the effect that said
young scientist must not write "the mouse was injected" because that
implies that the mouse was ground up small and injected into some other
poor beast. To modify it as "the mouse was injected with antibiotics"
merely compounds the error by suggesting that the puree of mouse was
lubricated with antibiotics. I'm getting a strong feeling of deja vu.

When I wrote that Adam might spray herbicide, I'm left wondering whether
I should have written that he might spray with herbicide.
John Ashby
2019-01-23 11:06:42 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by DavidK
walk the fields, when to sow the seed, when to spray herbicide,
I cannot decide if I have sinned. Some time ago I read an excerpt from
"Advice to a Young Scientist" by someone famous to the effect that said
young scientist must not write "the mouse was injected" because that
Peter Medawar, I suspect.

2019-01-23 11:58:18 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by DavidK
walk the fields, when to sow the seed, when to spray herbicide,
I cannot decide if I have sinned. Some time ago I read an excerpt from
"Advice to a Young Scientist" by someone famous to the effect that said
young scientist must not write "the mouse was injected" because that
implies that the mouse was ground up small and injected into some other
poor beast. To modify it as "the mouse was injected with antibiotics"
merely compounds the error by suggesting that the puree of mouse was
lubricated with antibiotics. I'm getting a strong feeling of deja vu.
When I wrote that Adam might spray herbicide, I'm left wondering
whether I should have written that he might spray with herbicide.
Although in theory there might be some very slight chance of ambiguity,
I think "the mouse was injected" would be understood by 100% of those
reading it. I suspect that what the "advisor" was _really_ about, though
using a spurious grammatical point to say it, was the all-pervasive
passive voice, at least in scientific papers.

I agree, but there is significant resistance to the use of active voice
and first person in scientific writing.

"The people here are more educated and intelligent. Even stupid people in
Britain are smarter than Americans." Madonna, in RT 30 June-6July 2001 (page
32)
Clive Arthur
2019-01-23 12:07:06 UTC
<snipped>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
When I wrote that Adam might spray herbicide, I'm left wondering
whether I should have written that he might spray with herbicide.
Although in theory there might be some very slight chance of ambiguity,
I think "the mouse was injected" would be understood by 100% of those
reading it.
Like 'double negatives make a positive'. They don't, unless you
deliberately try to misunderstand.

And as for double positives not making a negative; yeah, yeah.

Cheers
Clive
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-23 12:32:21 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snipped>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
When I wrote that Adam might spray herbicide, I'm left wondering
whether I should have written that he might spray with herbicide.
Although in theory there might be some very slight chance of
ambiguity, I think "the mouse was injected" would be understood by
100% of those reading it.
Like 'double negatives make a positive'. They don't, unless you
deliberately try to misunderstand.
Or are a non-native-speaker - "yes, we have no bananas".

(I think the chance of misunderstanding was a red herring, used [though
it weakens the case as it's not real] to try to discourage use of the
passive voice.)
Post by Clive Arthur
And as for double positives not making a negative; yeah, yeah.
VG!
Cheers

32)
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-23 22:24:46 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snipped>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
When I wrote that Adam might spray herbicide, I'm left wondering
whether I should have written that he might spray with herbicide.
Although in theory there might be some very slight chance of
ambiguity, I think "the mouse was injected" would be understood by
100% of those reading it.
Like 'double negatives make a positive'.  They don't, unless you
deliberately try to misunderstand.
And as for double positives not making a negative; yeah, yeah.
There are newsgroups where some individuals look for and adopt the
opposite end of even the slightest ambiguity.
2019-01-23 23:12:50 UTC
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 22:24:46 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Clive Arthur
<snipped>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
When I wrote that Adam might spray herbicide, I'm left wondering
whether I should have written that he might spray with herbicide.
Although in theory there might be some very slight chance of
ambiguity, I think "the mouse was injected" would be understood by
100% of those reading it.
Like 'double negatives make a positive'.  They don't, unless you
deliberately try to misunderstand.
And as for double positives not making a negative; yeah, yeah.
There are newsgroups where some individuals look for and adopt the
opposite end of even the slightest ambiguity.
It happens in umra too - usually resulting in a pun cascade.
2019-01-24 02:38:34 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
There are newsgroups where some individuals look for and adopt the
opposite end of even the slightest ambiguity.
It happens in umra too - usually resulting in a pun cascade.
Ah well. Puns!
That's a horse of a different kettle.
Clive Arthur
2019-01-24 08:10:16 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
There are newsgroups where some individuals look for and adopt the
opposite end of even the slightest ambiguity.
It happens in umra too - usually resulting in a pun cascade.
Ah well.  Puns!
That's a horse of a different kettle.
Indeed, barking up the wrong end of a wild red herring chase while
playing emotional football on a political rollercoaster and burning the
midnight candle at both ends.

Cheers
Clive
krw
2019-01-24 11:28:19 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
There are newsgroups where some individuals look for and adopt the
opposite end of even the slightest ambiguity.
It happens in umra too - usually resulting in a pun cascade.
Ah well.  Puns!
That's a horse of a different kettle.
Only if it is a three temperature tagine.
2019-01-24 12:14:56 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
There are newsgroups where some individuals look for and adopt the
opposite end of even the slightest ambiguity.
It happens in umra too - usually resulting in a pun cascade.
Ah well.  Puns!
That's a horse of a different kettle.
Only if it is a three temperature tagine.
Is that dried, soft or tinned puns?
2019-01-23 13:19:34 UTC
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 11:58:18 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Although in theory there might be some very slight chance of ambiguity,
I think "the mouse was injected" would be understood by 100% of those
reading it. I suspect that what the "advisor" was _really_ about, though
using a spurious grammatical point to say it, was the all-pervasive
passive voice, at least in scientific papers.
I thought the passive voice was all about blame (or lack thereof).

I/you/he/she broke the cup.
The cup was/got broken.
2019-01-23 17:27:07 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Although in theory there might be some very slight chance of ambiguity,
I think "the mouse was injected" would be understood by 100% of those
reading it. I suspect that what the "advisor" was _really_ about, though
using a spurious grammatical point to say it, was the all-pervasive
passive voice, at least in scientific papers.
I thought the passive voice was all about blame (or lack thereof).
I/you/he/she broke the cup.
The cup was/got broken.
Oh, indeed; but "plausible denial" in research papers doesn't, I think,
carry much real weight. But you are right, during the period where it
did, the passive voice became so much the norm in scientific reporting
that first person wording is extremely refreshing on the rare occasions
it makes it into print - though it's usually blocked by management.

Vicky Ayech
2019-01-22 21:33:18 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
That's not working so well for Pip, is it? She had to have full
maternity leave and is still needing a lot of help. Presumably both
Adam and Ian would get some maternity leave? Or just one?
Why would Alice be concerned with the greenhouses?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-22 22:37:41 UTC
Post by DavidK
When does Rory finish school and take over some of the farm-work and
could Alice employ Ed to take over the greenhouses?
Why would Alice be concerned with the greenhouses?
Could he have meant polytunnels? (Where Alice was hoping to release her
strawberry-picking machines?)

"Address the chair!" "There isn't a chair, there's only a rock!" "Well, call
it a chair!" "Why not call it a rock?" (First series, fit the sixth.)
Mike
2019-01-23 08:56:13 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by DavidK
when to sow the seed, when to spray herbicide, when to
sell the caravans. Ian can't say to his customers that supper will be 30
minutes late because baby was feeling fractious.
When does Rory finish school and take over some of the farm-work and
could Alice employ Ed to take over the greenhouses?
Why would Alice be concerned with the greenhouses?
She doesn’t even really care about those poly things, they won’t gain her
any brownie points with Price Bowman (sp?) now.
2019-01-23 13:47:53 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
Ah! This is where Ed gets the hours he needs. There’s Home Farm sheep, the
deer. All the arable and the maize maze, and there was the strawberries,
though dumping that will save Adam work and diminish his income. Have I
forgotten anything?

2019-01-23 13:58:40 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
There's the work he was doing for that chap umbrella yesterday planting
trees. He is going to be the source of the extra deposit money somehow.
Hope it's legal... OP
Mike
2019-01-23 14:04:25 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
It is ‘cash in hand’ at this stage so, who knows!?
2019-01-23 16:41:16 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
Tim. This is the Grundys we’re talking about. They mustn’t rise up the
demographics table.

Sincerly Chris
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-23 17:34:15 UTC
In message <dg_1E.130444$***@fx17.am4>, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
Ah! This is where Ed gets the hours he needs. There’s Home Farm sheep, the
deer. All the arable and the maize maze, and there was the strawberries,
I'd completely forgotten about the maize maze - as I suspect have the
SWs. I don't remember hearing any mention of it for ages. Even the
arable - which one would think could go months without being mentioned -
does get the occasional coverage, such as when Brian (possibly only when
his attention was drawn by some other troublemaker) commented about rot
in the winter wheat, or something.
Post by Chris McMillan
though dumping that will save Adam work and diminish his income. Have I
I doubt he's just going to abandon the polytunnels - just not grow
strawberries in them. Even if he doesn't use actual polytunnels, I'd
have thought he'd use the land for something: it's a big enough area
(Lindy complained about it a few years ago) that I can't see him letting
it rot/go to seed/whatever the right phrase is. [Though it's a bit odd
he didn't say what he _is_going to do with it - but that could just have
been left so Alice could have her tantrum.]
Post by Chris McMillan
forgotten anything?
Sincerely Chris
John

carolet
2019-01-23 18:44:25 UTC
On 23/01/2019 17:34, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
.
.
.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I doubt he's just going to abandon the polytunnels - just not grow
strawberries in them. Even if he doesn't use actual polytunnels, I'd
have thought he'd use the land for something: it's a big enough area
(Lindy complained about it a few years ago) that I can't see him letting
it rot/go to seed/whatever the right phrase is. [Though it's a bit odd
he didn't say what he _is_going to do with it - but that could just have
been left so Alice could have her tantrum.]
Adam has mentioned growing some new crop to Ian, and Ian has talked
about practising recipes that use it. I can't remember what it is now,
though. That is probably why I'm not sure if it is one of the new things
that Tom is thinking of growing, but that does sound like the sort of
plot that is likely to be thought entertaining.
forgotten anything?
Sincerely Chris
John
2019-01-23 18:52:57 UTC
.
.
.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Quinoa (bless you!)
2019-01-23 21:07:58 UTC
Adam has mentioned growing some new crop to Ian, and Ian has talked
about practising recipes that use it. I can't remember what it is now,
though. That is probably why I'm not sure if it is one of the new things
that Tom is thinking of growing, but that does sound like the sort of
plot that is likely to be thought entertaining.
Quinoa (bless you!)
I grew it on the allotment twenty-some years ago. Cropped well, but it
was a bugger to winnow the grain on a small scale, and the husks tasted
soapy.

2019-01-23 22:33:44 UTC
Adam has mentioned growing some new crop to Ian, and Ian has talked
about practising recipes that use it. I can't remember what it is now,
though. That is probably why I'm not sure if it is one of the new things
that Tom is thinking of growing, but that does sound like the sort of
plot that is likely to be thought entertaining.
Quinoa (bless you!)
I grew it on the allotment twenty-some years ago. Cropped well, but it
was a bugger to winnow the grain on a small scale, and the husks tasted
soapy.
john
Adam also mentioned growing soya beans. I tried that on my allotment but
it was a dismal failure. The plants just sat there and sulked so perhaps
I did something wrong.
John Ashby
2019-01-23 23:05:02 UTC
Post by DavidK
Adam has mentioned growing some new crop to Ian, and Ian has talked
about practising recipes that use it. I can't remember what it is now,
though. That is probably why I'm not sure if it is one of the new things
that Tom is thinking of growing, but that does sound like the sort of
plot that is likely to be thought entertaining.
Quinoa (bless you!)
I grew it on the allotment twenty-some years ago. Cropped well, but it
was a bugger to winnow the grain on a small scale, and the husks
tasted soapy.
john
Adam also mentioned growing soya beans. I tried that on my allotment but
it was a dismal failure. The plants just sat there and sulked so perhaps
I did something wrong.
Trid those about the same time. Grew, but not well and fairly feeble crop.

The other problem with quinoa was convincing the children to eat
something that looks like it contained a mix of baby's fingernails and
intestinal worms. Even vast amounts of tomato ketchup didn't work.

2019-01-24 02:41:26 UTC
The other problem with quinoa was convincing the children to eat
something that looks like it contained a mix of baby's fingernails and
intestinal worms. Even vast amounts of tomato ketchup didn't work.
But I'm sure their protests were very tuneful.
2019-01-23 23:22:11 UTC
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 22:33:44 +0000, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by DavidK
Quinoa (bless you!)
I grew it on the allotment twenty-some years ago. Cropped well, but it
was a bugger to winnow the grain on a small scale, and the husks tasted
soapy.
I used to grow coriander in the garden - quite by chance. I'd made some
breadcrumbs with added (badly) pounded coriander seed to coat some belly
pork slices before grilling and I put the leftover crumbs out for the
birds. This strange, nasty smelling parsley-like crop came up under the
bird table and I harvested the seeds in due course but they were hardly
worth the bother. I have a strong dislike of the leaves.
Post by DavidK
Adam also mentioned growing soya beans. I tried that on my allotment but
it was a dismal failure. The plants just sat there and sulked so perhaps
I did something wrong.
These are being sold frozen as edamame beans these days - not very pleasant
to eat IMO. I keep sending unhappy messages to Morrisons about them because
they haven't sold proper broad beans for a couple of years but do stock
these travesties alongside the 10 different varieties of frozen peas.
2019-01-23 23:31:04 UTC
Post by DavidK
Adam also mentioned growing soya beans. I tried that on my allotment but
it was a dismal failure. The plants just sat there and sulked so perhaps
I did something wrong.
These are being sold frozen as edamame beans these days - not very pleasant
to eat IMO. I keep sending unhappy messages to Morrisons about them because
they haven't sold proper broad beans for a couple of years but do stock
these travesties alongside the 10 different varieties of frozen peas.
I didn't knoe endame beans are soya ones. Endame=edamame? They have
those in many thai places and yo sushi, in the shells and you shell
them. Granddaughter likes them and they are healthy so we are glad she
eats them.I quite like them in salads or as a veg, but like broad
beans too. You can definitely get frozen broad beans and I've seen
fresh in the last few years.
Penny
2019-01-24 10:06:59 UTC
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019 23:31:04 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
You can definitely get frozen broad beans and I've seen
fresh in the last few years.
I gave up buying them fresh years ago. It's too hard to tell if there are
any beans in the pod and if there are, what size they will be. A
time-consuming and expensive exercise to find out. Frozen are all fairly
small and far better value. I found them in Tesco - still none in
Morrisons.
2019-01-24 12:20:26 UTC
You can definitely get frozen broad beans and I've seen
fresh in the last few years.
I gave up buying them fresh years ago. It's too hard to tell if there are
any beans in the pod and if there are, what size they will be. A
time-consuming and expensive exercise to find out.
They are always available in season at Benedetta's in Ceriana. Very good
they are too, traditionally eaten in Liguria with salami.
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-24 20:13:26 UTC
You can definitely get frozen broad beans and I've seen
fresh in the last few years.
I gave up buying them fresh years ago. It's too hard to tell if there are
any beans in the pod and if there are, what size they will be. A
time-consuming and expensive exercise to find out.
They are always available in season at Benedetta's in Ceriana. Very good
they are too, traditionally eaten in Liguria with salami.
Do they deliver?

p.s. Having google street viewed around Ceriana, I think a small
pre-bashed car would be an excellent mode of transport.
Not enough landing space for a helicopter.
2019-01-24 10:22:05 UTC
These are being sold frozen as edamame beans these days - not very pleasant
to eat IMO. I keep sending unhappy messages to Morrisons about them because
they haven't sold proper broad beans for a couple of years but do stock
these travesties alongside the 10 different varieties of frozen peas.
The other thing which comes in 10 different varieties - or more - is
ham. You look for some sliced cooked meat - more or less anything other
than ham is acceptable - and there's ham, ham, ham, yet more ham and
still more ham. WHY, ffs?
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Mike
2019-01-24 12:06:55 UTC
These are being sold frozen as edamame beans these days - not very pleasant
to eat IMO. I keep sending unhappy messages to Morrisons about them because
they haven't sold proper broad beans for a couple of years but do stock
these travesties alongside the 10 different varieties of frozen peas.
The other thing which comes in 10 different varieties - or more - is
ham. You look for some sliced cooked meat - more or less anything other
than ham is acceptable - and there's ham, ham, ham, yet more ham and
still more ham. WHY, ffs?
Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam.
2019-01-24 12:13:37 UTC
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 10:22:05 +0000, Jenny M Benson
These are being sold frozen as edamame beans these days - not very pleasant
to eat IMO. I keep sending unhappy messages to Morrisons about them because
they haven't sold proper broad beans for a couple of years but do stock
these travesties alongside the 10 different varieties of frozen peas.
The other thing which comes in 10 different varieties - or more - is
ham. You look for some sliced cooked meat - more or less anything other
than ham is acceptable - and there's ham, ham, ham, yet more ham and
still more ham. WHY, ffs?
Most are not very nice. They seem to have lots of water. I liked ham
from the butcher, cut from a leg of lamb and sometimes you could get
the last bit on the leg. I think the supermarket deli counter used to
do that too but havne't checked for a while. You can get similar
slices in a packet, or you can get parma or serrano ham, both of which
are nice.
Mike
2019-01-24 12:49:54 UTC
[...]
Leg of lamb? Is it large enough? Anyway I am sure bridge Farm will be
only too keen to try out this new experiment.
2019-01-24 13:13:10 UTC
[...]
I think the farmer might want the customers to shoulder the costs involved
- they might reply ‘No Shanks’.
OOps. Ham not lamb.
John Ashby
2019-01-24 13:45:43 UTC
[...]
ITYM pork and I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Time for a religious joke: On a transatlantic flight a rabbi and a
catholic priest are seated next to each other and get to talking about
their respective religions and their strictures. The priest eventually
says to the rabbi "Tell me, in your faith you're not allowed to eat
pork. Have you ever been tempted?" The rabbi says that as a matter of
fact as a young man he did enjoy a bacon sandwich.

He then asks the priest "In your faith, you're not allowed to have
sexual relations. Have you ever been tempted." The priest says that as
amatter of fact as a young man he did have sex with a woman.

There is a pause, then the rabbi leans over and says "It's better than
bacon, isn't it?"

2019-01-24 18:58:56 UTC
Post by DavidK
Adam also mentioned growing soya beans. I tried that on my allotment but
it was a dismal failure. The plants just sat there and sulked so perhaps
I did something wrong.
These are being sold frozen as edamame beans these days - not very pleasant
to eat IMO. I keep sending unhappy messages to Morrisons about them because
they haven't sold proper broad beans for a couple of years but do stock
these travesties alongside the 10 different varieties of frozen peas.
I like edame beans. I’ll always choose a dish with them in when eating out.

2019-01-24 08:21:26 UTC
Post by DavidK
Adam has mentioned growing some new crop to Ian, and Ian has talked
about practising recipes that use it. I can't remember what it is now,
though. That is probably why I'm not sure if it is one of the new things
that Tom is thinking of growing, but that does sound like the sort of
plot that is likely to be thought entertaining.
Quinoa (bless you!)
I grew it on the allotment twenty-some years ago. Cropped well, but it
was a bugger to winnow the grain on a small scale, and the husks tasted
soapy.
john
Adam also mentioned growing soya beans. I tried that on my allotment but
it was a dismal failure. The plants just sat there and sulked so perhaps
I did something wrong.
Soya didn’t try again?
2019-01-24 02:22:36 UTC
.
.
.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Quinoa? Of course I Quinoa: we were at primary school together.

2019-01-23 19:20:39 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
though dumping that will save Adam work and diminish his income. Have I
I doubt he's just going to abandon the polytunnels - just not grow
strawberries in them. Even if he doesn't use actual polytunnels, I'd
have thought he'd use the land for something: it's a big enough area
(Lindy complained about it a few years ago) that I can't see him letting
it rot/go to seed/whatever the right phrase is. [Though it's a bit odd
he didn't say what he _is_going to do with it - but that could just have
been left so Alice could have her tantrum.]
Post by Chris McMillan
forgotten anything?
Sincerely Chris
John
I forgot the herbal lays, and the millennium Wood too.

2019-01-23 23:05:14 UTC
In message <b832E.388228$***@fx36.am4>, Chris McMillan
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
I forgot the herbal lays, and the millennium Wood too.
Sincerely Chris
I thought a big attraction of the herbal lays/leys was that they were
low (near-zero) maintenance. And I thought the wood was some ground they
presented to the village, i. e. don't have to maintain themselves (if
anything, wasn't it Mike - as tree expert - who looked after it?).
Wasn't the eco-cemetery part of it?

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when
they're in trouble again.
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-24 02:44:27 UTC
Wasn't the eco-cemetery part of it?
I misread that, but was _very_ taken with the idea of an Echo-Cemetery.

(Or am I just repeating what was said before?)
2019-01-24 18:58:54 UTC
I forgot the herbal lays, and the millennium Wood too.
Sincerely Chris
I thought a big attraction of the herbal lays/leys was that they were
low (near-zero) maintenance. And I thought the wood was some ground they
presented to the village, i. e. don't have to maintain themselves (if
anything, wasn't it Mike - as tree expert - who looked after it?).
Wasn't the eco-cemetery part of it?
There was something Brine was selling off I seem to remember that was
special to effer, wood or land I can’t recall. I’m not sure if any of the
wood is part of the farm frankly.

Doesn’t he still contract for Deavud?

2019-01-23 20:29:54 UTC
I'd completely forgotten about the maize maze - as I suspect have the
SWs. I don't remember hearing any mention of it for ages. Even the
arable - which one would think could go months without being mentioned -
does get the occasional coverage, such as when Brian (possibly only when
his attention was drawn by some other troublemaker) commented about rot
in the winter wheat, or something.
I would imagine the maize cobs are long since harvested and the plants
long-since dead. It's an annual, not perennial.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-23 23:07:30 UTC
I'd completely forgotten about the maize maze - as I suspect have
the SWs. I don't remember hearing any mention of it for ages. Even
the arable - which one would think could go months without being
mentioned - does get the occasional coverage, such as when Brian
(possibly only when his attention was drawn by some other
troublemaker) commented about rot in the winter wheat, or something.
I would imagine the maize cobs are long since harvested and the plants
long-since dead. It's an annual, not perennial.
But was maize, and the maze, a one-off crop? (Or is it one of those
things to do with crop rotation I learnt about in school four decades
ago and have forgotten more or less all but the name of?)

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when
they're in trouble again.
DavidK
2019-01-24 09:47:43 UTC
 I'd completely forgotten about the maize maze - as I suspect have
the  SWs. I don't remember hearing any mention of it for ages. Even
the  arable - which one would think could go months without being
mentioned -  does get the occasional coverage, such as when Brian
(possibly only when  his attention was drawn by some other
troublemaker) commented about rot  in the winter wheat, or something.
I would imagine the maize cobs are long since harvested and the plants
long-since dead.  It's an annual, not perennial.
But was maize, and the maze, a one-off crop? (Or is it one of those
things to do with crop rotation I learnt about in school four decades
ago and have forgotten more or less all but the name of?)
I'm almost certain that there has been a maize maze at least twice,
weren't Eddie and family involved somehow, and I'm pretty sure that Adam
grows maize most years; I think for the biodigester on Berrow Farm.
There was some education on undercropping maize a while ago; growing it
can cause soil loss through wind erosion after cropping without some
management. I published here the script from a farming programme on it.
DavidK
2019-01-24 09:52:34 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
Here ...
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.media.radio.archers/maize$20subtitles%7Csort:date/uk.media.radio.archers/qFduhFVRQPk/MUvLFWseHXkJ>

PS I asked for a price on umra.co.uk out of curiosity and the owner has
quoted £670
krw
2019-01-24 11:31:34 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
Beetle banks? Fishing Lake? Riding course? Leys? Cattle on the leys?
Contracting work on Brookfield's arable and anywhere else - so why are
they selling the heavy kit? Less land of their own means they can take
on more contracting work and do it better than the big boys.
2019-01-24 13:39:56 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
Hmm, I've forgotten, does Home Farm still have the BL estate contract?
IIRC they only kept it because Justin said so with the expectation of
reciprocal grooming from Brian.
Chris McMillan
2019-01-24 18:58:56 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Penny
[...]
We haven’t heard about beetles, fish or riding for a year or several.

2019-01-22 19:36:38 UTC
Post by DavidK
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
ISTR some vague discussions and I think they were thinking that, because
they work very different hours from one another, they'd be able to
juggle childcare between them. It sounded as if reality was beginning
to sink in though, at least for Adam, when he was talking to Jenny, on
Sunday.
Sometimes I sits and thinks... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)
Fenny
2019-01-22 21:08:31 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 19:36:38 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by DavidK
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
ISTR some vague discussions and I think they were thinking that, because
they work very different hours from one another, they'd be able to
juggle childcare between them. It sounded as if reality was beginning
to sink in though, at least for Adam, when he was talking to Jenny, on
Sunday.
Adam works all day and half the night in the summer. Ian works from
before lunch until after dinner. Are they going to juggle sleep as
well as childcare.
2019-01-22 22:02:11 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 21:08:31 +0000, Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
Are they going to juggle sleep as
well as childcare.
Every new parent does.
2019-01-23 21:02:34 UTC
Post by Fenny
Are they going to juggle sleep as
well as childcare.
Every new parent does.
Yes, but not with demanding 18 hour a day jobs!
Clive Arthur
2019-01-22 22:13:56 UTC
Post by DavidK
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
Could they not just put it up for adoption if it all gets too much?
Would Lexi automatically get first refusal?

Cheers
Clive
carolet
2019-01-23 17:10:19 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by DavidK
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
Could they not just put it up for adoption if it all gets too much?
Would Lexi automatically get first refusal?
Cheers
Lexi isn't genetically related to the baby. Adam is.
That might not stop her from being lumbered with the baby that she has
given birth to, if she can not hand it over to Adam and Ian for any
reason, but I think that it is unlikely that anybody would expect her to
take it back once they have had it for a while and she has disappearred
back to Bulgaria.
2019-01-23 18:27:37 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by DavidK
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
Could they not just put it up for adoption if it all gets too much?
Would Lexi automatically get first refusal?
Cheers
Lexi isn't genetically related to the baby. Adam is.
That might not stop her from being lumbered with the baby that she has
given birth to, if she can not hand it over to Adam and Ian for any
reason, but I think that it is unlikely that anybody would expect her to
take it back once they have had it for a while and she has disappearred
back to Bulgaria.
Wasn’t the fertilised egg one of Lexi’s own? If so, Shirley she has
contributed jeans to the little perisher in her womb?
2019-01-23 18:46:09 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by DavidK
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
Could they not just put it up for adoption if it all gets too much?
Would Lexi automatically get first refusal?
Cheers
Lexi isn't genetically related to the baby. Adam is.
That might not stop her from being lumbered with the baby that she has
given birth to, if she can not hand it over to Adam and Ian for any
reason, but I think that it is unlikely that anybody would expect her to
take it back once they have had it for a while and she has disappearred
back to Bulgaria.
Wasn’t the fertilised egg one of Lexi’s own? If so, Shirley she has
contributed jeans to the little perisher in her womb?
No. That was one of her conditions, that the egg came from somebody
else. Of course, the gods of Ambridge may have changed the past and that
is no longer so.
Clive Arthur
2019-01-23 19:20:53 UTC
<snip>
Wasn’t the fertilised egg one of Lexi’s own? If so, Shirley she has
contributed jeans to the little perisher in her womb?
No. That was one of her conditions, that the egg came from somebody
else. Of course, the gods of Ambridge may have changed the past and that
is no longer so.
What came first, the egg or the chicken factory?

Cheers
Clive
a l l y
2019-01-24 15:02:18 UTC
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for most
of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure she
can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the time
to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would find it
easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
Well full-time-working, opposite-sex couples seem to manage, don't they?
They employ child-minders, nursery schools and the like. Adam & Ian will
probably get Emma to do it, hopefully for a proper fee.

ally

---
2019-01-24 16:43:07 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by DavidK
and have we actually heard them discuss how they are going to find the
time to look after a baby? It's Ian who wants the baby but Adam would
find it easier to organise his time to do part-time work.
Well full-time-working, opposite-sex couples seem to manage, don't they?
They employ child-minders, nursery schools and the like. Adam & Ian will
probably get Emma to do it, hopefully for a proper fee.
But a proper fee is theft - Prudhon.

john(welcome back)
steveski
2019-01-22 17:48:26 UTC
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for
most of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure
she can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
Will they both qualify for paternity leave?
2019-01-22 18:43:48 UTC
Do Adam and Ian have any formal contract with Lexie?
Presumably her intention at the moment is to go back to Bulgaria for
most of the pregnancy and then return to give birth.
Is Brexit likely to get in the way of this plan?
What is health care like in Bulgaria?
Are Adam and Ian planning to pay Lexie during the pregnancy to ensure
she can eat well and get medical checks?
If the baby ends up being born in Bulgaria will this cause problems for
taking it back to Britain and being 'claimed' by the men?
Will they both qualify for paternity leave?
One of them should be able to get adoption leave and the other
"paternity" adoption leave. Or they could go for Shared Parental
Leave, but I've forgotten the rules about how to split that.
2019-01-22 18:49:39 UTC
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 18:43:48 +0000, Fenny <***@removethis.gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Fenny
Post by steveski
Will they both qualify for paternity leave?
One of them should be able to get adoption leave and the other
"paternity" adoption leave. Or they could go for Shared Parental
Leave, but I've forgotten the rules about how to split that.
I don't think the rules matter much in Adam's case, I don't see him
abandoning the running of the farm to Brian although he might hire someone
in to do any grunt work he would otherwise be doing.

OTOH he might like the opportunity to escape to the farm...