Interesting article by Jeremy How.
Add Reply
Peter Withey
2020-08-27 09:44:52 UTC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/authors/3613062d-d301-404d-b20b-994c97a14aae

or https://tinyurl.com/y3brm6gr
--
Pete
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-08-27 19:19:48 UTC
Post by Peter Withey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/authors/3613062d-d301-404d-b20b-
994c97a14aae
or https://tinyurl.com/y3brm6gr
Direct to Jeremy Howe's bit:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/168eb4e7-1903-4825-81fc-8a7e1bdbcc1e
(https://bbc.in/2YE8UIP)

The voices of Radio 4 continuity and newsreading have been keeping me right
for as long as I can remember. I can call on a million different information
sources, but it doesn't make sense unti I've heard it from Peter, Harriet,
Charlotte and the rest.- Eddie Mair in Radio Times 10-16 November 2012
Peter
2020-08-27 19:52:33 UTC
Post by Peter Withey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/authors/3613062d-d301-404d-b20b-
994c97a14aae
or   https://tinyurl.com/y3brm6gr
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/168eb4e7-1903-4825-81fc-8a7e1bdbcc1e
(https://bbc.in/2YE8UIP)
I had not previously heard of the BBC Blog so I rummaged around a little
and came upon

Let's unleash the BBC's potential to combat fake news and
help Global Britain

written by Tony Hall. Does anyone know what 'Global' means there?
krw
2020-08-28 14:19:11 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Peter Withey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/authors/3613062d-d301-404d-b20b-
994c97a14aae
or   https://tinyurl.com/y3brm6gr
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/168eb4e7-1903-4825-81fc-8a7e1bdbcc1e
(https://bbc.in/2YE8UIP)
I had not previously heard of the BBC Blog so I rummaged around a little
and came upon
    Let's unleash the BBC's potential to combat fake news and
    help Global Britain
written by Tony Hall.  Does anyone know what 'Global' means there?
It is a sop to Dominic Cummings as "World Beating" in that context might
lead to "Rule Britannia".
2020-08-29 22:52:01 UTC
Post by Peter Withey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/authors/3613062d-d301-404d-b20b-994c97a14aae
or https://tinyurl.com/y3brm6gr
Apropos Jeremy Howe, I have just been listening to The Falklands Play,
from Radio 4 in 2002. That was directed by Jeremy Howe and was rather
good. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007674j

Nick
Peter
2020-08-29 20:05:00 UTC
Post by Peter Withey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/authors/3613062d-d301-404d-b20b-994c97a14aae
or https://tinyurl.com/y3brm6gr
Apropos Jeremy Howe, I have just been listening to The Falklands Play,
from Radio 4 in 2002. That was directed by Jeremy Howe and was rather
good. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007674j
Yes, it was good. An example of the BBC's dishonesty can be got from
that web page. Here's a bit:

"The BBC commissioned the TV play from writer Ian Curteis in 1986, but
notoriously shelved it for 16 years because of its pro-Thatcher stance
ahead of a general election."

If it was thought to be pro-Thatcher and due to be broadcast just before
a general election, then that would be a reason (good, bad or
indifferent, I wouldn't know) to delay its broadcast until after the
election. But how does one account for _16_ years?
2020-08-29 20:44:40 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Peter Withey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/authors/3613062d-d301-404d-b20
b-994c97a14aae
or https://tinyurl.com/y3brm6gr
Apropos Jeremy Howe, I have just been listening to The Falklands Play,
from Radio 4 in 2002. That was directed by Jeremy Howe and was rather
good. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007674j
Yes, it was good. An example of the BBC's dishonesty can be got from
"The BBC commissioned the TV play from writer Ian Curteis in 1986, but
notoriously shelved it for 16 years because of its pro-Thatcher stance
ahead of a general election."
If it was thought to be pro-Thatcher and due to be broadcast just
before a general election, then that would be a reason (good, bad or
indifferent, I wouldn't know) to delay its broadcast until after the
election. But how does one account for _16_ years?
That assumes the length of the shelving was deliberate. Once the
decision to shelve (which I agree, might have been valid [I haven't
heard the play so can't say]) had been made, it might not have been
anyone's job specifically to re-schedule it - so it might just have been
forgotten about until someone found it.

I am just wary of attributing malice - or even just intent - where it
might not have been intended.

/"\
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
X AGAINST HTML EMAIL
/ \ AND POSTINGS
Peter
2020-08-29 21:00:22 UTC
Post by Peter Withey
[...]
By Curteis and Howe? Pretend yourself to be the author or director of
a play. The network controller tells you that it won't be broadcast
next Tuesday because there's a general election in two weeks time. What
will you do the day after that election? Maybe you fell asleep and
didn't wake for 16 years.