UMRA birthday info for 8 October 2020
Birthday Monitor
2020-10-08 06:07:51 UTC
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
Tony Smith
2020-10-08 08:14:15 UTC
Hipy Papy Bthuthdth Thuthda Bthuthdy
Hellerat
2020-10-08 08:22:42 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
Hipy Papy Bthuthdth Thuthda Bthuthdy
Or as I like to say, Χρονια πολλα! Many happy returns of the day, Rosemary!
--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-10-08 08:55:09 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
Hipy Papy Bthuthdth Thuthda Bthuthdy
Or as I like to say, 0 >Rosemary!
And from me. But Tony was citing Winnie the Pooh, which really took me
back!

Beatrix Potter was a bunny boiler.
- Patricia Routledge, on "Today" 2016-1-26
Tony Smith
2020-10-08 09:17:12 UTC
I wonder how WOL would have spelled that. No doubt Pooh has been translated into Greek, so some translators must have addressed the issue.
Hellerat
2020-10-08 09:42:11 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Hellerat
Or as I like to say, Χρονια πολλα!
I wonder how WOL would have spelled that. No doubt Pooh has been translated into Greek, so some translators must have addressed the issue.
I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognize the Winnie the Pooh reference :( Quoogle shows he is
not too popular in Greece!
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-10-08 10:24:30 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Tony Smith
Or as I like to say, 0
(Turnpike shows that as blank; Notepad+ tells me there are characters
there, I presume Greek.)
Post by Hellerat
Post by Tony Smith
I wonder how WOL would have spelled that. No doubt Pooh has been
translated into Greek, so some translators must have addressed the
issue.
(-:! He's certainly been translated into Latin; I think my brother has a
copy of Winnie Ille Pu.
Post by Hellerat
I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognize the Winnie the Pooh reference :(
Quoogle shows he is not too popular in Greece!

The average age at which a woman has her first child has passed 30.
Jason Cowley, RT 2016/6/11-17
Tony Smith
2020-10-08 11:09:05 UTC
(-:! He's certainly been translated into Latin; I think my brother has a
copy of Winnie Ille Pu.
My son has a copy of that, given him by my father. I then got him the Latin "House at Pooh Corner". I think my English ones have ended up in his flat, too.

But I have found no evidence of a Classical Greek Pooh.
Nick Odell
2020-10-08 18:47:01 UTC
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 04:09:05 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith
Post by Tony Smith
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(-:! He's certainly been translated into Latin; I think my brother has a
copy of Winnie Ille Pu.
My son has a copy of that, given him by my father. I then got him the Latin "House at Pooh Corner". I think my English ones have ended up in his flat, too.
But I have found no evidence of a Classical Greek Pooh.
Sounds like a project for someone, then.

2020-10-08 17:01:59 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(-:! He's certainly been translated into Latin; I think my brother has a
copy of Winnie Ille Pu.
My son has a copy of that, given him by my father. I then got him the
Latin "House at Pooh Corner". I think my English ones have ended up in his flat, too.
But I have found no evidence of a Classical Greek Pooh.
Sounds like a project for someone, then.
Nick
Some might Pooh Pooh that idea though.
2020-10-08 18:56:40 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(-:! He's certainly been translated into Latin; I think my brother has a
copy of Winnie Ille Pu.
My son has a copy of that, given him by my father. I then got him the
Latin "House at Pooh Corner". I think my English ones have ended up in his flat, too.
But I have found no evidence of a Classical Greek Pooh.
Sounds like a project for someone, then.
Nick
Some might Pooh Pooh that idea though.
(-:

I asked the oracle, and here's his reply:

Well, I didn't know, so I Googled. And it would appear that there is a
modern Greek version—

https://www.amazon.com/Pouph-syntrophia-Winnie-Pooh-Greek/dp/487187253X

—but I can see no sign of a Classical Greek version. (And yes, I think
they are different enough languages that separate versions would be
needed.)

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011
Tony Smith
2020-10-08 19:20:52 UTC
As a 1973 work, it might be in katharevousa Greek.
Tony Smith
2020-10-10 18:40:43 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/Pouph-syntrophia-Winnie-Pooh-Greek/dp/487187253X
The Bodleian library's catalogue (or Boolean Library, as my spill-chucker suggests) does not list a copy.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-10-10 19:24:27 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
https://www.amazon.com/Pouph-syntrophia-Winnie-Pooh-Greek/dp/487187253X
The Bodleian library's catalogue (or Boolean Library, as my
spill-chucker suggests) does not list a copy.
I find the concept of a Boolean library rather pleasing, though I'm not
sure why.

We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first
duty of intelligent men. In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will
be a revolutionary act - Orwell
Peter
2020-10-10 21:34:18 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
https://www.amazon.com/Pouph-syntrophia-Winnie-Pooh-Greek/dp/487187253X
The Bodleian library's catalogue (or Boolean Library, as my
spill-chucker suggests) does not list a copy.
I find the concept of a Boolean library rather pleasing, though I'm not
or, and, xor, nor, nand
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
sure why.
--
When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally
recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to
Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays
Vicky Ayech
2020-10-08 10:41:38 UTC
And happy birthday, Rosemary, from me too.
Rosemary Miskin
2020-10-08 15:43:04 UTC
On Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 11:41:44 AM UTC+1, Vicky Ayech wrote:
Happy birthday, Rosemary, from me too.

Thank you all! A happy day is being had, with the promise of a sea bass supper cooked by Himself to come.

Rosemary
Penny
2020-10-08 19:30:09 UTC
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 08:43:04 -0700 (PDT), Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Happy birthday, Rosemary, from me too.
Thank you all! A happy day is being had, with the promise of a sea bass supper cooked by Himself to come.
And then he'll need to wash-up (whose sig was that?).

Hope you've had a great day, Rosemary.
2020-10-09 02:59:53 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Happy birthday, Rosemary, from me too.
Thank you all! A happy day is being had, with the promise of a sea bass supper cooked by Himself to come.
And then he'll need to wash-up (whose sig was that?).
from frances dowd at CHEFF You don't need to wash up until you've
eaten fish.

Nick
Rosemary Miskin
2020-10-09 08:05:05 UTC
And then he'll need to wash-up (whose sig was that?).
Of course he did!

Rosemary
Sam Plusnet
2020-10-08 19:26:43 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
Hipy Papy Bthuthdth Thuthda Bthuthdy
And happy birthday, Rosemary, from me too.
Indeed. May dancing Hippos attend this joyous festival.
2020-10-08 17:31:04 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
Hipy Papy Bthuthdth Thuthda Bthuthdy
Happy hippos Rosemary

The McTs
Min
2020-10-08 23:40:57 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
(Just) belated Happies from me and the Hounds, Rosemary!
--
Min