The Adventures of Captain Bobo
Add Reply
Peter
2020-11-03 15:10:49 UTC
John Sessions (known to his many friends as John Sessions), dead. It's
a bit alarming when someone a similar age to oneself dies.
--
When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally
recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to
Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays
Steve Hague
2020-11-03 17:22:10 UTC
John Sessions (known to his many friends as John Sessions), dead.  It's
a bit alarming when someone a similar age to oneself dies.
We all have an expiry date on us, but it's usually in a difficult place
to read.
2020-11-03 18:04:07 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
John Sessions (known to his many friends as John Sessions), dead.  It's
a bit alarming when someone a similar age to oneself dies.
We all have an expiry date on us, but it's usually in a difficult place
to read.
Steve
All one can hope for is that the expiry date and the ‘best before’ are very
close together. Losing ones faculties / physical powers /control of bodily
functions ain’t dignified. I think the expression ‘Shoot me if I ever
become like that’ is a very wise one. :-(((
Steve Hague
I intend to live forever. So far, my plan seems to be working.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-11-04 12:15:42 UTC
On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 18:42:45, Steve Hague <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
[]
Post by Steve Hague
I intend to live forever. So far, my plan seems to be working.
Another one for the quote file! You're not related to Groucho, are you?
Your latest two aphorisms certainly have a Grouchian (!?) flavour.

"Grammar is there to help, not hinder."
-- Mark Wallace, APIHNA, 2nd December 2000 (quoted by John Flynn 2000-12-6)
Steve Hague
2020-11-04 14:20:01 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I intend to live forever. So far, my plan seems to be working.
Another one for the quote file! You're not related to Groucho, are you?
Your latest two aphorisms certainly have a Grouchian (!?) flavour.
I'm not sure I'm quoting Groucho, but I'm certainly influenced by him.
A comedic master of course, but if I'm related to him, it's many times
removed.
John Ashby
2020-11-04 17:25:20 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I intend to live forever. So far, my plan seems to be working.
Another one for the quote file! You're not related to Groucho, are
you? Your latest two aphorisms certainly have a Grouchian (!?) flavour.
 I'm not sure I'm quoting Groucho, but I'm certainly influenced by him.
A comedic master  of course, but if I'm related to him, it's many times
removed.
Guards! Remove this man! Again!

2020-11-03 18:57:29 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Steve Hague
John Sessions (known to his many friends as John Sessions), dead.  It's
a bit alarming when someone a similar age to oneself dies.
We all have an expiry date on us, but it's usually in a difficult place
to read.
Steve
All one can hope for is that the expiry date and the ‘best before’ are very
close together. Losing ones faculties / physical powers /control of bodily
functions ain’t dignified. I think the expression ‘Shoot me if I ever
become like that’ is a very wise one. :-(((
Do make sure that your definition of "that" exactly coincides with the
working definition used by the person holding the gun.
2020-11-04 00:32:10 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
John Sessions (known to his many friends as John Sessions), dead.
It's a bit alarming when someone a similar age to oneself dies.
We all have an expiry date on us, but it's usually in a difficult place
to read.
Steve
Now in my quotes file (with attribution [to Steve]).

But remember, in a permissive society, it is also permissible to stay at home
and have a nice cup of tea instead. Andrew Collins, RT 2015/2/14-20
Clive Arthur
2020-11-04 09:47:39 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
John Sessions (known to his many friends as John Sessions), dead.
It's a bit alarming when someone a similar age to oneself dies.
We all have an expiry date on us, but it's usually in a difficult place
to read.
Steve
My dad always said we each had a specific number of heartbeats
allocated. Trouble is, he couldn't say how many that was.
--
Cheers
Clive
Sam Plusnet
2020-11-04 20:05:22 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Peter
John Sessions (known to his many friends as John Sessions), dead.
It's a bit alarming when someone a similar age to oneself dies.
We all have an expiry date on us, but it's usually in a difficult
place to read.
Steve
My dad always said we each had a specific number of heartbeats
allocated. Trouble is, he couldn't say how many that was.
It would be worse if he did tell you.

Does anyone recall the scene where Bluebottle is counting votes after an
election[1] and someone offers him a cup of tea?

[1] Phonograph record: How to Win an Election (Or not lose by too much)
by Peter Sellers et al.
Peter
Penny
2020-11-04 22:51:26 UTC
On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 20:05:22 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Does anyone recall the scene where Bluebottle is counting votes after an
election[1] and someone offers him a cup of tea?
I seem to have missed that somehow - thought I had heard the entire Goon
output.
Post by Sam Plusnet
[1] Phonograph record: How to Win an Election (Or not lose by too much)
by Peter Sellers et al.
It seems to be available on Amazon.
2020-11-05 02:35:11 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Does anyone recall the scene where Bluebottle is counting votes after an
election[1] and someone offers him a cup of tea?
I seem to have missed that somehow - thought I had heard the entire Goon
output.
It was Sellers, Milligan & Secombe, but (mostly) not doing Goon characters.
However the last 'track' was certainly Bluebottle who was doing the
counting of votes entirely on his own.

"Two million, three hundred and twenty three thousand, five hundred and
sixty two."
"Two million, three hundred and twenty three thousand, five hundred and
sixty three."
etc. etc.

Offered a cup of tea which he accepts and drinks.

"Now where was I - Three million six hundred... no no Four million
five... no no!...

"One. Two. Three. Four..."
[1] Phonograph record: How to Win an Election (Or not lose by too much)
by Peter Sellers et al.
It seems to be available on Amazon.
Comedy albums were a thing back then. We had a copy & I heard it often
enough for some bits to stick with me.
Peter
2020-11-06 17:16:13 UTC
John Sessions (known to his many friends as John Sessions), dead.  It's
a bit alarming when someone a similar age to oneself dies.
Also, a warm hand for Geoffrey Palmer. (D'you see what I did there?
Nothing pleases me quite as much as my own dazzling brilliance.)