improvement?
2020-07-14 08:53:19 UTC
I thought Jolene, Harrison and Kenton's scenes last night much better
than some of the previous weeks' efforts. I am not sure if it is the
writing too, but I do think the actors made a much better job of it.
They didn't at all use that 'aye me, I am having inner thoughts and
ruminations' voices. They sounded like themselves, speaking
naturally. And Harrison's scene sounded as if there were at least 2
people there, not to mention the strimmer.

Ok the story lines have not been linked to ones that we very much want
to continue to find out about, but they were better than plumbing. I
admit though that I like harrison and Jolene, so am biassed.
Peter
Yes, agreed.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-07-14 13:45:55 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
I thought Jolene, Harrison and Kenton's scenes last night much better
Eyup, I thought as I was reading that: then I realised, as I had a
TV-free day yesterday (not being virtuous or anything, just didn't get
round to turning it on*), I didn't get my usual cues to turn on the
radio! So have just listened to the podcast.

* Physically crossing the room to do so: my about 40-yo TV's remote
doesn't work. Since I use it with a set-top box (whose remote _does_
work of course), not a problem.
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
than some of the previous weeks' efforts. I am not sure if it is the
writing too, but I do think the actors made a much better job of it.
They didn't at all use that 'aye me, I am having inner thoughts and
ruminations' voices. They sounded like themselves, speaking
Yes, I agree. I thought Jolene drawing up a - numbered! - list of
Kenton's faults was particularly nasty - which means I was thinking of
it as a real person, not lockdown. Little odd external noises (such as
the beeps from the 'phones as they texted) help a lot. (As long as they
don't overdo it, which I don't think the SWs will.)
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
naturally. And Harrison's scene sounded as if there were at least 2
people there, not to mention the strimmer.
Agreed. I could visualise the three of them. (And I liked his awful
puns.)
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
Ok the story lines have not been linked to ones that we very much want
to continue to find out about, but they were better than plumbing. I
admit though that I like harrison and Jolene, so am biassed.
I like Harrison; Jolene usually, though - see above - she seemed a bit
catty in this one. (Even though I agree with her, that a peacock would
be a good thing - at least where there'd been one before, so objections
[from neighbours about noise?] would already have been handled. And also
that Kenton was responsible for the crushed Eccles.)
Post by Peter
Yes, agreed.
Harrison's "something big might happen by Thursday" (or WTTE) is the
usual SW double/triple/more bluff that irritates me, of course: we are
supposed to think it'll be him finding about the maltreatment of horses,
but as we're supposed to think that it won't be, but ...

Radio 4 is one of the reasons being British is good. It's not a subset of
Britain - it's almost as if Britain is a subset of Radio 4. - Stephen Fry, in
Radio Times, 7-13 June, 2003.
Chris McMillan
2020-07-14 15:03:45 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
I thought Jolene, Harrison and Kenton's scenes last night much better
than some of the previous weeks' efforts. I am not sure if it is the
writing too, but I do think the actors made a much better job of it.
They didn't at all use that 'aye me, I am having inner thoughts and
ruminations' voices. They sounded like themselves, speaking
naturally. And Harrison's scene sounded as if there were at least 2
people there, not to mention the strimmer.
Ok the story lines have not been linked to ones that we very much want
to continue to find out about, but they were better than plumbing. I
admit though that I like harrison and Jolene, so am biassed.
Yes, agreed.
Thought it was rubbish. Harrison didn’t hold my attention. Kenton’s best
friend, like David’s best friend, just isn’t st his best. Jolene’s best
friend got it right. But the subject alone wasn’t working. Maybe by the
end of the week?

2020-07-14 16:07:56 UTC
I thought Jolene, Harrison and Kenton's scenes last night much better
than some of the previous weeks' efforts. I am not sure if it is the
writing too, but I do think the actors made a much better job of it.
They didn't at all use that 'aye me, I am having inner thoughts and
ruminations' voices. They sounded like themselves, speaking
naturally. And Harrison's scene sounded as if there were at least 2
people there, not to mention the strimmer.
Ok the story lines have not been linked to ones that we very much want
to continue to find out about, but they were better than plumbing. I
admit though that I like harrison and Jolene, so am biassed.
Yesterday's episode felt more in line with how things are now. All of
the other monologue episode have felt as if they were set in deepest
lockdown, even though it was being relaxed by the time that they started
to be aired.
2020-07-14 17:24:03 UTC
[...]
But Carpet would not have been impressed by being asked to appear on the
radio, nor would he have acted as he did re cricket team until the PTF
intervened. The scene with the trimmer was a bit better, but the inner
monologues are just not convincingly written or acted imo.

The peacock bolleaux at the Bulleaux was more in keeping, but this sort
of childish bickering has ling been decried.

My 8yo grand-daughters could write better.
Chris McMillan
2020-07-15 11:48:06 UTC
[...]
It has been suggested to me that Deavud’s last thought might be connected
with ‘the slaves’ : are we getting led back towards ‘real TA’? I was
distracted by a visitor at our window: missed some of the epi.

2020-07-15 13:09:35 UTC
It has been suggested to me that Deavud’s last thought might be connected
with ‘the slaves’ : are we getting led back towards ‘real TA’?
That's very much my assumption.
And, while it was regarded as pretty good evidence of criminality to be
living in a slum, for some reason owning a whole street of them merely
got you invited to the very best social occasions. (Terry Pratchett)
Chris McMillan
2020-07-16 10:09:59 UTC
It has been suggested to me that Deavud’s last thought might be connected
with ‘the slaves’ : are we getting led back towards ‘real TA’?
That's very much my assumption.
Hmm. *silly*! (Again).

2020-07-15 17:41:40 UTC
On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 11:48:06 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
I was
distracted by a visitor at our window: missed some of the epi.
Had they come from Porlock?

2020-07-15 17:50:35 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
I was
distracted by a visitor at our window: missed some of the epi.
Had they come from Porlock?
Nick
Nearly right, the visitor’s surname is Pocock!
2020-07-16 10:10:00 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
I was
distracted by a visitor at our window: missed some of the epi.
Had they come from Porlock?
Nick
LOL. No, it was the next door neighbour thanking us for the veg from our
garden left on his doorstep.