oT: the tail/tale of the sat cat nav
2019-07-24 12:58:06 UTC
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!

He’d been in our friend and neighbour’s garden and heard it warbling. But
it couldn’t locate which of three gardens in our road as the garden
boundaries are somewhat staggered. Turned out it was the next house down
from us! I wonder what he said to his (oh so clever cat!) on his return.

2019-07-24 13:02:33 UTC
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
He’d been in our friend and neighbour’s garden and heard it warbling. But
it couldn’t locate which of three gardens in our road as the garden
boundaries are somewhat staggered. Turned out it was the next house down
from us! I wonder what he said to his (oh so clever cat!) on his return.
Sincerely Chris
“The cat sat on the sat-nav cat collar”.
2019-07-24 22:09:56 UTC
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
He’d been in our friend and neighbour’s garden and heard it warbling. But
it couldn’t locate which of three gardens in our road as the garden
boundaries are somewhat staggered. Turned out it was the next house down
from us! I wonder what he said to his (oh so clever cat!) on his return.
"I don't know how you did it, but you managed to lose a very expensive
cat collar!"

"Me? Ow?"

2019-07-25 08:58:50 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 12:58:06 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
Many neighbourhood cats 'use' my garden, either as a latrine or a cut
through to properties above or below me. I met one of the owners recently,
a chap I'd never seen before, when I found a cat collar in the garden and
phoned the number on the tag. "Have you got a cat called Ozzie?" I asked.
He was surprised and replied "Yes, he's right here."

He came and collected the collar later.
2019-07-25 22:38:50 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
Many neighbourhood cats 'use' my garden, either as a latrine or a cut
through to properties above or below me. I met one of the owners recently,
a chap I'd never seen before, when I found a cat collar in the garden and
phoned the number on the tag. "Have you got a cat called Ozzie?" I asked.
He was surprised and replied "Yes, he's right here."
He came and collected the collar later.
Was Ozzie was short for Ozymandias?
2019-07-26 07:17:21 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down.  I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time.  He said he’d got the cat, it was
at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
Many neighbourhood cats 'use' my garden, either as a latrine or a cut
through to properties above or below me. I met one of the owners recently,
a chap I'd never seen before, when I found a cat collar in the garden and
phoned the number on the tag. "Have you got a cat called Ozzie?" I asked.
He was surprised and replied "Yes, he's right here."
He came and collected the collar later.
Was Ozzie was short for Ozymandias?
No doubt the cat would leave a deposit in the garden, kill a few birds
and declaim "Look upon my works you mighty and despair".
Sid Nuncius
2019-07-26 08:08:07 UTC
Many neighbourhood cats 'use' my garden, either as a latrine or a cut
through to properties above or below me. I met one of the owners recently,
a chap I'd never seen before, when I found a cat collar in the garden and
phoned the number on the tag. "Have you got a cat called Ozzie?" I asked.
He was surprised and replied "Yes, he's right here."
He came and collected the collar later.
Was Ozzie was short for Ozymandias?
No doubt the cat would leave a deposit in the garden, kill a few birds
and declaim "Look upon my works you mighty and despair".
While the lone and level craps stretch far away.
Oh dear Sid, we seem to channeling BUM :)
Penny
2019-07-26 08:26:23 UTC
On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 23:38:50 +0100, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Chris McMillan
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
Many neighbourhood cats 'use' my garden, either as a latrine or a cut
through to properties above or below me. I met one of the owners recently,
a chap I'd never seen before, when I found a cat collar in the garden and
phoned the number on the tag. "Have you got a cat called Ozzie?" I asked.
He was surprised and replied "Yes, he's right here."
He came and collected the collar later.
Was Ozzie was short for Ozymandias?
I didn't ask.
Our last cat was Oz, short for Ounce, named from a crossword clue, 'Not
much of a cat'.
2019-07-26 21:29:40 UTC
the dust...
Post by Chris McMillan
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
Many neighbourhood cats 'use' my garden, either as a latrine or a cut
through to properties above or below me. I met one of the owners recently,
a chap I'd never seen before, when I found a cat collar in the garden and
phoned the number on the tag. "Have you got a cat called Ozzie?" I asked.
He was surprised and replied "Yes, he's right here."
He came and collected the collar later.
Was Ozzie was short for Ozymandias?
I didn't ask.
Our last cat was Oz, short for Ounce, named from a crossword clue, 'Not
much of a cat'.
I'm pretty sure that I've previously mentioned the cat we called
"Enki-don't!"
2019-07-26 22:15:59 UTC
Was Ozzie was short for Ozymandias?
I didn't ask.
Our last cat was Oz, short for Ounce, named from a crossword clue, 'Not
much of a cat'.
I'm pretty sure that I've previously mentioned the cat we called
"Enki-don't!"
My latest kitten is called Pardon. I had a Ludo and then acquired a
Sorry, but Ludo passed away recently.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Chris McMillan
2019-07-27 12:14:10 UTC
Was Ozzie was short for Ozymandias?
I didn't ask.
Our last cat was Oz, short for Ounce, named from a crossword clue, 'Not
much of a cat'.
I'm pretty sure that I've previously mentioned the cat we called
"Enki-don't!"
My latest kitten is called Pardon. I had a Ludo and then acquired a
Sorry, but Ludo passed away recently.
Jenny, so sorry to hear Ludo has passed away. Photo of Sorry and Pardon
please pretty please?

2019-07-29 11:40:49 UTC
https://www.flickr.com/photos/***@N02/albums/72157632194123111
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Vicky Ayech
2019-07-29 12:31:16 UTC
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 12:40:49 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Chris McMillan
Jenny, so sorry to hear Ludo has passed away. Photo of Sorry and Pardon
please pretty please?
I think they are supposed to learn to clean themselves. You're not
supposed to put them in the washing machine. The videos are nice.
Kittens move in a different way from grown up cats, don't they. Sort
of more bendy and softer. And then Harryet Potter is creaky now so
moves more awkwardly, like Bobby. And us. This is a house for ageing
arthritics.
Chris McMillan
2019-07-29 12:55:49 UTC
Jenny, so sorry to hear Ludo has passed away. Photo of Sorry and Pardon
please pretty please?
Thank you!

2019-07-29 22:19:12 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Jenny, so sorry to hear Ludo has passed away. Photo of Sorry and Pardon
please pretty please?
Sorry is rather cute.
2019-07-30 07:49:41 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Jenny, so sorry to hear Ludo has passed away. Photo of Sorry and Pardon
please pretty please?
Sorry is rather cute.
The first photo: you couldn’t *bribe* a cat to sit with such a straight
back! Fabulous set, thanks, Jenny

2019-07-28 15:22:09 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
Many neighbourhood cats 'use' my garden, either as a latrine or a cut
through to properties above or below me. I met one of the owners recently,
a chap I'd never seen before, when I found a cat collar in the garden and
phoned the number on the tag. "Have you got a cat called Ozzie?" I asked.
He was surprised and replied "Yes, he's right here."
He came and collected the collar later.
I had someone who was very surprised, and rather confused, when I phoned
him to let him know that I had his cat's front door key - his collar,
complete with the magnetic tag to operate the cat flap.

My two don't have their names on their tags[1] but do have the street
address as well as my phone number on them. Quite often, when one of
them has lost a collar, it's been returned to me, either in person or
just dropped on either the front wall or the door step.

[1] apart from anything else, this means I only need one, shared, stock
of tags, rather than keeping two sets of spares.
I changed my iPod's name to Titanic. It's syncing now.
DavidK
2019-07-26 10:38:21 UTC
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
He’d been in our friend and neighbour’s garden and heard it warbling. But
it couldn’t locate which of three gardens in our road as the garden
boundaries are somewhat staggered. Turned out it was the next house down
from us! I wonder what he said to his (oh so clever cat!) on his return.
Sincerely Chris
I'm reminded of a story from The News Quiz, I think the original can be
found here <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09c4xvs>, my version will
have been altered by time and senility.

A vicar was visiting a family and found them clustered around a tree
trying to entice their cat down. The tree was a mere sapling, tall,
slender and whippy, but not strong enough to support the weight of an
adult wanting to climb it and retrieve the cat.

No problem said the vicar, we'll attach a rope to the tree at
head-height and the other end to the rear of my car. If I drive gently
away the tree will bend over towards it and you can reach up and lift
off the cat.

This plan was no sooner said than put into practice and the vehicle was
being slowly driven away when disaster struck and the rope came undone.
The tree shot back up into a vertical position and the cat could not be
found.

A few days later, on another parochial visit, the vicar remarked that he
didn't know the family had a cat. "Oh we didn't" said the father, we
were sitting out on the lawn when my daughter said that she wished we
had a cat. No sooner were the words out of her mouth when her prayers
were answered, a miracle happened, and this cat dropped out of the sky
and it's been with us ever since.
Mike
2019-07-28 22:05:27 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
(GROAN!)

My favourite cat-in-tree story - I don't know if true or not - was from
the time of the firemen's strike (I think they were called firemen
then), when the army with its "Green Goddess" fire engines stood in.
There was a cat-in-tree callout, which was successful - grateful
little-old-lady and so on - until they left - and ran over the cat. The
wrinkle that I heard to the story was that the TV newcasters - I think
this was still in the days of Trevor McDonald, Angela Ripon, and Jan
Leeming - were told that they _could_ report the story, as long as they
could do it with a straight face.

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.
Vicky Ayech
2019-07-26 11:49:38 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
That made me laugh. It was the idea of the boiiing effect. 4 yr old
granddaughter is currently listning to nursery rhymn songs she asked
Alexa to play so I won't interrrupt to tell her why I am laughing. It
might take a bit of explaining.
Penny
2019-07-26 12:48:28 UTC
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 11:38:21 +0100, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by DavidK
I'm reminded of a story from The News Quiz, I think the original can be
found here <https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b09c4xvs>, my version will
have been altered by time and senility.
<snip of cat-up-tree story>

I'm reminded of a fire-fighter who, when asked how fire-fighters extracted
cats from trees replied, "Cats can always get themselves down from trees,
they just don't want to. When we are called out to help, one of us
distracts the cat owner while another scares the cat.".
2019-07-26 18:16:42 UTC
I'm reminded of a fire-fighter who, when asked how fire-fighters extracted
cats from trees replied, "Cats can always get themselves down from trees,
they just don't want to. When we are called out to help, one of us
distracts the cat owner while another scares the cat.".
Excellent. I shall have to relay this to a friend who writes for US
firefighting-related dramas.
2019-07-28 15:25:34 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Wonderful!

My late, great, Jellicle cat used to very much enjoy climbing a tall,
slender and whippy willow tree in my garden. He' go up high enough that
it could no longer support his weight and bend over, taking him back to
ground level. He'd then jump off, wait for the tree to straighten up
and repeat the exercise! Eventually, of course, the tree gave up and
stayed bent over and had to be cut down (it had, also, grown rather too
large for the bed it was in).
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street
with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they look sexy.
Mike
2019-07-28 15:31:14 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Perhaps you needed a king size... ;-)
2019-07-28 15:18:09 UTC
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
He’d been in our friend and neighbour’s garden and heard it warbling. But
it couldn’t locate which of three gardens in our road as the garden
boundaries are somewhat staggered. Turned out it was the next house down
from us! I wonder what he said to his (oh so clever cat!) on his return.
That is one of the things which has kept me (so far, at least) from
investing in a GPS tag for my cats. I'd be fascinated to know how far
afield, and where, my two go when they're out on patrol but I have a
nasty feeling they'd just remove the tag in the most inaccessible places.
I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns
it on, I go to the library and read a good book (Groucho Marx)
Mike
2019-07-28 15:22:04 UTC
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
He’d been in our friend and neighbour’s garden and heard it warbling. But
it couldn’t locate which of three gardens in our road as the garden
boundaries are somewhat staggered. Turned out it was the next house down
from us! I wonder what he said to his (oh so clever cat!) on his return.
That is one of the things which has kept me (so far, at least) from
investing in a GPS tag for my cats. I'd be fascinated to know how far
afield, and where, my two go when they're out on patrol but I have a
nasty feeling they'd just remove the tag in the most inaccessible places.
Of course they would Serena - they are cats!!!;-)
2019-07-28 15:52:15 UTC
A stranger knocked at our door at tea time yesterday saying he has a cat.
He lives in the road behind our garden but further down. I said I’d not
seen any cats here for some time. He said he’d got the cat, it was at home
when he arrived from work - it was the electronic collar tag!
He’d been in our friend and neighbour’s garden and heard it warbling. But
it couldn’t locate which of three gardens in our road as the garden
boundaries are somewhat staggered. Turned out it was the next house down
from us! I wonder what he said to his (oh so clever cat!) on his return.
That is one of the things which has kept me (so far, at least) from
investing in a GPS tag for my cats. I'd be fascinated to know how far
afield, and where, my two go when they're out on patrol but I have a
nasty feeling they'd just remove the tag in the most inaccessible places.
I did succumb and bought a tracker collar for Molly who was staying out all
hours. It was very interesting while it lasted until I realised one day she
had lost it. I dutifully tracked it down to the neighbours opposite and we
all searched. I stood on the spot where the collar was, but it wasn't! Said
neighbour has an impenetrable 10-12 foot high hedge. He told me his cat
hangs about in there, and obviously so does Molly. Although I had the spot,
I didn't know the height of the collar so there it remains, quite
impossible to find. One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
2019-07-28 17:25:04 UTC
One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
I do recommend hi-viz collars, particularly for cats, like both of mine,
who have lo-viz coats. I think it makes them that bit safer, when out
and about at night.
The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear really tight shoes.
Mike
2019-07-28 17:47:54 UTC
One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
I do recommend hi-viz collars, particularly for cats, like both of mine,
who have lo-viz coats. I think it makes them that bit safer, when out
and about at night.
I like that term ‘lo-viz coat! I suppose they are akin to grey hoodies!
2019-07-28 19:16:41 UTC
One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
I do recommend hi-viz collars, particularly for cats, like both of mine,
who have lo-viz coats. I think it makes them that bit safer, when out
and about at night.
I like that term ‘lo-viz coat! I suppose they are akin to grey hoodies!
They might as well be wearing those at night! Freddie is black and
white, mainly black, and although his white socks and shirtfront are
hi-viz, his back and sides are far from being so. Bella, as a tabby, is
camo-cat and can become almost invisible, especially in leafy shadow.
Sam Plusnet
2019-07-28 20:24:25 UTC
One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
I do recommend hi-viz collars, particularly for cats, like both of mine,
who have lo-viz coats.  I think it makes them that bit safer, when out
and about at night.
I like that term ‘lo-viz coat! I suppose they are akin to grey hoodies!
They might as well be wearing those at night!  Freddie is black and
white, mainly black, and although his white socks and shirtfront are
hi-viz, his back and sides are far from being so.  Bella, as a tabby, is
camo-cat and can become almost invisible, especially in leafy shadow.
But they do carry a pair of Cat's Eyes which are pretty visible in the
right conditions.
2019-07-28 20:36:40 UTC
One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
I do recommend hi-viz collars, particularly for cats, like both of mine,
who have lo-viz coats.  I think it makes them that bit safer, when out
and about at night.
I like that term ‘lo-viz coat! I suppose they are akin to grey hoodies!
They might as well be wearing those at night!  Freddie is black and
white, mainly black, and although his white socks and shirtfront are
hi-viz, his back and sides are far from being so.  Bella, as a tabby,
is camo-cat and can become almost invisible, especially in leafy shadow.
But they do carry a pair of Cat's Eyes which are pretty visible in the
right conditions.
Yes, very, if they're looking in the right direction.
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-07-28 22:13:04 UTC
[...]
My favourite camo-cat picture - purely coincidence, but (IMO) an amazing
match with the carpet: Loading Image... (one
of my Grandma's cats [I now find I can't remember the name], and I think
that's my brother's hand).

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-07-29 08:54:13 UTC
match with the carpet: http://255soft.uk/temp/2002_1104_120002.JPG (one
of my Grandma's cats [I now find I can't remember the name], and I think
that's my brother's hand).
Yes, that's a good one. Ally has taken quite a few, similar photos of
one of her cats equally well camouflaged against the carpet. A quick
search of Flickr came up with this example:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/allybeag/385974876/in/photolist-kg8vt-kg8uR-kg8ui-jWBJM-jWBGY-jS6Zy-jNB1a-jNAZW-jNAZf-jNAYZ-jNAYG-jNAYt-jNAYf-jNAXU-jNAXu-jzMKf-jzMJM-jzMHV-jzMHo-jzMGE-jzMFW-jzMF4-jzMEm-jzMDz-jzMCF-jzMC5-jzMBq-EAyv2-EAyhH-EAxyy-EAwPW-CX7uw-CX7hW-CX71v-BU7Vd-BU7K3-BbaBG-A7ewG-A7ekx-A7ea5-A7dTf-A7dnJ-A7dhL-v8amu-tu4a7-sUYjM-sqNx1-qSG3W-jzMAv-jzMzA>,
aka <https://is.gd/0e9W5W>
Mike
2019-07-29 07:21:17 UTC
One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
I do recommend hi-viz collars, particularly for cats, like both of mine,
who have lo-viz coats.  I think it makes them that bit safer, when out
and about at night.
I like that term ‘lo-viz coat! I suppose they are akin to grey hoodies!
They might as well be wearing those at night!  Freddie is black and
white, mainly black, and although his white socks and shirtfront are
hi-viz, his back and sides are far from being so.  Bella, as a tabby, is
camo-cat and can become almost invisible, especially in leafy shadow.
But they do carry a pair of Cat's Eyes which are pretty visible in the
right conditions.
Yes, but they are only needed if they wish to sit in the middle of the road
and even then, only for traffic coming from the direction they face!
2019-07-28 21:38:54 UTC
One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
I do recommend hi-viz collars, particularly for cats, like both of mine,
who have lo-viz coats. I think it makes them that bit safer, when out
and about at night.
I like that term ‘lo-viz coat! I suppose they are akin to grey hoodies!
They might as well be wearing those at night! Freddie is black and
white, mainly black, and although his white socks and shirtfront are
hi-viz, his back and sides are far from being so. Bella, as a tabby, is
camo-cat and can become almost invisible, especially in leafy shadow.
Yes, Molly is an invisible tabby too. However her secret hiding places are
exposed when I shine a bright torch and see these eyes looking back at me!
2019-07-29 22:11:29 UTC
They might as well be wearing those at night! Freddie is black and
white, mainly black, and although his white socks and shirtfront are
hi-viz, his back and sides are far from being so. Bella, as a tabby, is
camo-cat and can become almost invisible, especially in leafy shadow.
Yes, Molly is an invisible tabby too. However her secret hiding places are
exposed when I shine a bright torch and see these eyes looking back at me!
When one of our cats found a new hiding place, we could always track her
down by remaining quiet and listening to see which cubbyhole was purring.
2019-07-30 07:49:41 UTC
They might as well be wearing those at night! Freddie is black and
white, mainly black, and although his white socks and shirtfront are
hi-viz, his back and sides are far from being so. Bella, as a tabby, is
camo-cat and can become almost invisible, especially in leafy shadow.
Yes, Molly is an invisible tabby too. However her secret hiding places are
exposed when I shine a bright torch and see these eyes looking back at me!
When one of our cats found a new hiding place, we could always track her
down by remaining quiet and listening to see which cubbyhole was purring.
LOL!! Cats version of hide and seek!

2019-07-28 17:50:21 UTC
One problem is that the collar isn't very visible and I
was just thinking of putting some reflective stickers on it which would
catch torchlight, but I hadn't yet done so!
I do recommend hi-viz collars, particularly for cats, like both of mine,
who have lo-viz coats. I think it makes them that bit safer, when out
and about at night.
LOL!! Did you here that, Freddie and Bella?