Imperial College Covid in home antibody testing research study
2020-10-16 17:51:56 UTC
B got a letter today inviting him to take part in the above. They are
apparently taking random names from GP records. If the person agrees
they get a kit sent, do a finger tip prick to test blood, that will
show within 15 minutes on the actual test if you have anitbodies. You
then enter the result on a website. It is anon. Records only seen by
research team.They do say the test is not 100% accurate at individual
level. They want even people who had the viorus and were tested to do
it.

Anyone else get one? Oh and you should not let anyone else do it
instead. Must be person letter is for. If you agree.
Peter
2020-10-16 21:20:27 UTC
B got a letter today inviting him to take part in the above. They are
apparently taking random names from GP records. If the person agrees
they get a kit sent, do a finger tip prick to test blood, that will
show within 15 minutes on the actual test if you have anitbodies. You
then enter the result on a website. It is anon. Records only seen by
research team.They do say the test is not 100% accurate at individual
level. They want even people who had the viorus and were tested to do
it.
Anyone else get one?
Yes, back in June.
--
When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally
recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to
Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays
Vicky Ayech
2020-10-17 10:08:47 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
B got a letter today inviting him to take part in the above. They are
apparently taking random names from GP records. If the person agrees
they get a kit sent, do a finger tip prick to test blood, that will
show within 15 minutes on the actual test if you have anitbodies. You
then enter the result on a website. It is anon. Records only seen by
research team.They do say the test is not 100% accurate at individual
level. They want even people who had the viorus and were tested to do
it.
Anyone else get one?
Yes, back in June.
Did it show you had the antibodies and so had had the virus? And are
you now immune.
Peter
Kate B
2020-10-18 09:28:21 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
and so had had the virus? And are
you now immune.
No. Not even if you are POTUS.
Anne B
2020-10-18 11:22:22 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
and so had had the virus? And are
you now immune.
No. Not even if you are POTUS.
Him? He probably never had it in the first place. Just a ploy to win votes.

Anne B
Mike McMillan
2020-10-18 11:39:44 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
and so had had the virus? And are
you now immune.
No. Not even if you are POTUS.
Him? He probably never had it in the first place. Just a ploy to win votes.
Anne B
Ah, I’m not the only one to think that then, I said to Mrs. McToodles a day
or two back that it would be a good ploy to show how
good/clever/smart/invincible he is and how grate(sic) his handling of Covid
in the USA has been!
YANAOU
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-10-18 11:59:52 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Vicky Ayech
and so had had the virus? And are
you now immune.
No. Not even if you are POTUS.
I think there _is_ some evidence that, if you survive it, you are
immune, to that strain, for a while. That period may be shorter than for
some other diseases (I think I've heard three months or so mentioned),
and as I say, isn't proof against a very different strain.

(I'm encouraged by the research I heard about this morning looking at
different strains of the virus, using that to trace the propagation;
they found the chicken factory outbreak all had the same strain, so it
had propagated, whereas at some hospital they checked, it was lots of
different strains, showing they'd all come in from outside and it wasn't
propagating within the hospital, so the hospital's measures were
effective. I hope this research is at least useful in tracing
propagation _backwards_, so sources - possible "superspreaders" - can be
found.)
Post by Anne B
Him? He probably never had it in the first place. Just a ploy to win votes.
Yes, that's my strong suspicion as well.
Post by Anne B
Anne B
On the subject of the US elections: apparently there are fewer undecided
voters than usual. So I don't think attacking DT is productive: that
won't change his supporters, who are used to and ignore attacks on their
hero. I think the only hope is to present his _supporters_ as naïve -
more so than we have been; make them uncomfortable. The main attraction
(as I see it) of being a DT supporter is that, if you don't think too
hard, it _feels_ good. We've got to change that. Make them feel
embarrassed. Gonna be hard work.

"Where's Piglet?" asked Pooh, as he munched a pork pie.
BrritSki
"We" ?
DavidK
That sounds interesting, where can I find it?
Hellerat
2020-10-18 20:38:24 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
and so had had the virus? And are
you now immune.
No. Not even if you are POTUS.
Him? He probably never had it in the first place. Just a ploy to win votes.
Agreed.

As to the antibodies thing, a friend of ours in Dubai caught Coronavirus a few weeks ago,
she was the only one of her family of 5 who tested positive, and she was one of those who
had thought it was only a mild thing as she's in her 40s and fit and healthy, so why would
it affect her? Anyhow, after rather a nasty bout where they feared she would need
hospitalizing, she recovered (apart from her senses of taste and smell) and took a test at
a private medical facility, 14 days after her first positive test. It was positive again
and the DHA (local health authority) told her that she needed to test negative on two
consecutive occasions from a DHA screening centre only, before she could get a clearance
certificate to go back to work, AND THAT THERE WAS NO POINT TESTING AGAIN BEFORE 90 DAYS
WERE UP AS THAT IS HOW LONG THE ANTIBODIES STAY IN YOUR BODY! I am no apologist for the
DHA, but this does make some sort of sense, especially when you consider "long Covid"
(which I am unfortunately associating with "long pig").

In other not spectacular news, I am scared of catching Coronavirus in Athens and wish I
were back in my Dubai bubble. Not looking forward to travelling to Cyprus at all.
--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat
Vicky Ayech
2020-10-19 08:09:56 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I am confused. I was 75 you know last birthday.
Ok there seem to be 2 things. You have antibodies and you test
positive or negative? You can have antibodies but still test positive?
Or shoudl having antibodies andbeing positive be good as then you
should not catch it again? I thought the point of antibodies was as
protection? So you need to test negative, which is NO antibodies?
Sid Nuncius
2020-10-19 09:29:14 UTC
I am confused. I was 75 you know last birthday.
Ok there seem to be 2 things. You have antibodies and you test
positive or negative? You can have antibodies but still test positive?
Or shoudl having antibodies andbeing positive be good as then you
should not catch it again? I thought the point of antibodies was as
protection? So you need to test negative, which is NO antibodies?
If you become infected with the virus you produce antibodies which are
your immune system's attempt to destroy it. The virus and antibodies
are separate entities.

My understanding of testing is this:
If you test positive for the virus, you currently have an active
infection and should avoid contact with others to avoid infecting anyone
else. You will probably also have antibodies at this stage as your body
will have produced them to fight the virus.

If you test negative for the virus but positive for antibodies, that
means you've had Covid but you are no longer have any active virus, so
a) you cannot currently infect anyone else, and
b) you have some degree of immunity.

No-one yet knows how long any immunity will last, nor how strong that
immunity is. However, the best outcome from testing would seem to be
negative for the virus but positive for antibodies.

HTH

(And, FWIW, I do think Trump had Covid but that he had treatment not
available to others, hence his relatively rapid recovery.)
--
Sid
2020-10-19 09:36:12 UTC
I do think Trump had Covid but that he had treatment not available to
others, hence his relatively rapid recovery.
Whilst that seems a plausible explanation would he be willing to
experiment with what is presumably either a relatively untried approach
or one that is simply too expensive to be contemplated for wider use?
2020-10-19 20:23:07 UTC
I do think Trump had Covid but that he had treatment not available to
others, hence his relatively rapid recovery.
Whilst that seems a plausible explanation would he be willing to
experiment with what is presumably either a relatively untried approach
or one that is simply too expensive to be contemplated for wider use?
He is very keen to believe in 'miracle cures' & is plainly dismissive of
any medical opinion which doesn't agree with what he thinks.
<LW>
Vicky Ayech
2020-10-19 13:06:52 UTC
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 10:29:14 +0100, Sid Nuncius
[...]
So assuming the tests were accurate you need 2, one for antibodies and
one for the virus?
Sid Nuncius
2020-10-19 14:10:40 UTC
[...]
So I understand. BIMBAM.
--
Sid
2020-10-19 20:21:02 UTC
[...]
Plus, he was almost certainly infectious before that debate, but had
refused to be tested (as all parties were required, and had agreed, to do).
2020-10-21 10:29:58 UTC
[...]
He had the drug beginning with R (forgotten the rest of it which is used
here, Reservic? Or something like that. Plus another one which I can’t
remember but was specific to his symptoms, both known to be suitable. That
was via the bbc, I think, our reporter.

2020-10-21 11:03:32 UTC
[...]
Remdesivir and Regeneron - the first an anti-viral, the second a
cocktail of antibodies not available to most. He was treated very early
on so the symptoms were stopped in their tracks. Hardly anyone else in
the world gets that kind of instant treatment, and very few can afford
it. Also he is clearly in league with the Devil, which helps.
Anthony Smith
2020-10-21 13:08:22 UTC
On Wednesday, 21 October 2020 at 12:03:34 UTC+1, Kate B wrote:

<snipped>
That is, perhaps, a little unkind to the Devil.
Chris McMillan

2020-10-19 09:39:53 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I think you (or she) are confusing antibodies with viral fragments (and
you wouldn't be alone).

Anyone who has had CV will have developed antibodies. How long they stay
in your system is currently unknown and they probably don't give full
immunity as the 5 (I think) cases of reinfection have shown, although I
think they have been different strains of CV.

As for the viral fragments, they are certainly around in your system for
some time and people are usually non-syptomatic and not infectious. 3
months sounds plausible, but the fragments are only detectable by very
sensitive tests . I think I posted something about this some time ago,
with a respected PCR specialist saying that anything above 30-35
iterations of the PCR process was too sensitive. She would have chosen
the lower limit. The UK does 40 iterations apparently :/

Then there are the false positives where the test is simply wrong which
aiui is 1% OF PEOPLE TESTED. If you do 200K tests as I think is where we
are at now, you get 2000 people who are told they have it and don't. So
of the 20,000 +ve tests that we currently have, 10% are wrong. There
will be a few false negatives too, but nowhere near as many if most of
the population tested are -ve.

And finally comparing the current situation with last spring is very
misleading as we had very little testing capacity back then so the great
majority of people who had CV were undetected and the real rate of
infection was far higher than today.

Remember that test and trace was abandoned as a strategy back then ON
THE SAGE ADVICE. I am glad that BoJo is taking more into account than
just the science. That's his job.
John Ashby
2020-10-19 13:33:54 UTC
Post by Hellerat
Post by Anne B
Post by Kate B
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 22:20:27 +0100, Peter
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Are you sure that was the SAGE advice.I can believe that the advice was
to defer T&T (but to prepare for it, after all, we started to develop
our world-beating app back then, the one that did so badly on the Isle
of Wight they had to abandon it and start again with the Google/Apple
toolkit) until the infection rate was higher because at low rates the
effect of false positives are much greater, but since WHO were saying
Test, Test, Test from March I find it hard to believe that it would have
been completely abandoned by Vallance, Whitty, Ferguson et al.

2020-10-19 14:29:25 UTC
but since WHO were saying Test, Test, Test from March I find it hard to
believe that it would have been completely abandoned by Vallance,
Whitty, Ferguson et al.
Given the U turns in recent months on all sorts of approaches who can
remember who had which plan at which time? All I know is that it has
flattened holidays in Italy, Ireland, Portugal and Liverpool with
Austria and Italy about to get the boot later this week I suspect.
2020-10-19 15:00:57 UTC
Given the U turns in recent months on all sorts of approaches
Which is preferable - admit a mistake and reverse the decision or carry
on regardless of being wrong?

I wonder that every time one side rants about the other doing a U-ie.
Wrexham, UK
krw
2020-10-19 15:36:24 UTC
Given the U turns in recent months on all sorts of approaches
Which is preferable - admit a mistake and reverse the decision or carry
on regardless of being wrong?
I wonder that every time one side rants about the other doing a U-ie.
Quite

The footnote of the following makes for an appropriate view of U turns:
https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m3979
2020-10-19 14:32:00 UTC
Remember that test and trace was abandoned as a strategy back then ON
THE SAGE ADVICE. I am glad that BoJo is taking more into account than
just the science. That's his job.
Are you sure that was the SAGE advice.I can believe that the advice was
to defer T&T (but to prepare for it, after all, we started to develop
our world-beating app back then, the one that did so badly on the Isle
of Wight they had to abandon it and start again with the Google/Apple
toolkit) until the infection rate was higher because at low rates the
effect of false positives are much greater, but since WHO were saying
Test, Test, Test from March I find it hard to believe that it would have
been completely abandoned by Vallance, Whitty, Ferguson et al.
Test and trace was abandoned on March 12th by Hancock while at the same
time they were doing everything to ramp up testing capacity. I don't
think the 2 statements are necessarily incompatible.

I can't find any clear evidence that it was Sage advice having trawled
through all the Sage minutes up to and including 10th March
<https://www.gov.uk/search/transparency-and-freedom-of-information-releases?organisations%5B%5D=scientific-advisory-group-for-emergencies&page=3&parent=scientific-advisory-group-for-emergencies>

However in the 11th Feb meeting they said (below bullet point 25)
"ACTION: PHE to work with SPI-M to develop criteria for when contact
tracing is no longer worthwhile. This should include consideration of
any limiting factors on testing and alternative methods of identifying
epidemic evolution and characteristics".

Then in the Feb 18th meeting they said:
"7. Currently PHE can cope with five new cases a week (requiring
isolation of 800 contacts). Modelling suggests this capacity could
be increased to 50 new cases a week (8,000 contact isolations) but this
assumption needs to be stress tested with PHE operational colleagues."

Finally in the March 13th meeting there is this:
"33. Community testing is ending today – which will increase the pace of
testing (and delivery of results) for intensive care units, hospital
admissions, targeted contact tracing for suspected clusters of cases
and healthcare workers. This includes faster confirmation of negative
results"

Which is an explanation for Hancock's announcement the day before I
suppose, but also emphasises the need for precise language when getting
into this sort of detail (from me as much as anyone else).

So test and trace wasn't abandoned as I claimed, just focused on certain
areas, probably down to lack of capacity in both performing the actual
tests and then in having the capability for tracing the contacts. The
former has been addressed to a certain degree, although almost certainly
not as much as claimed by politicos, but the contact tracing is a dismal
failure and looks like being so for the forseeable future until it is
decentralised.

I have downloaded the app, but doubt if it will make much difference.
The problem with any form of contact tracing is that there is nothing to
force the contacts to self-isolate if they don;t want to.
Chris J Dixon
2020-10-20 07:36:16 UTC
I have downloaded the app, but doubt if it will make much difference.
The problem with any form of contact tracing is that there is nothing to
force the contacts to self-isolate if they don;t want to.
Hasn't it been announced that details can be passed to the police
for enforcement action?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/17/police-get-access-to-people-told-of-self-isolate-by-nhs-test-and-trace

"People who fail to self-isolate “without reasonable
justification” could have their name, address and contact details
passed to their local authority and then to the police, the
DHSC’s website said."

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-10-20 07:43:41 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
I have downloaded the app, but doubt if it will make much difference.
The problem with any form of contact tracing is that there is nothing to
force the contacts to self-isolate if they don;t want to.
Hasn't it been announced that details can be passed to the police
for enforcement action?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/17/police-get-access-to-people-told-of-self-isolate-by-nhs-test-and-trace
"People who fail to self-isolate “without reasonable
justification” could have their name, address and contact details
passed to their local authority and then to the police, the
DHSC’s website said."
True, but that's not the app. AIUI no data identifying who is infected
and who has been told to self-isolate by the app is passed to anyone
else. That was one of its selling points.

Once again my lack of precision with words bites me. "Any form of
contact tracing" can be enforced, just not the app :/

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54599320>
Nick Odell
2020-10-20 17:34:59 UTC
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 08:43:41 +0100, BrritSki
Post by BrritSki
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
[...]
I find it remarkable that anybody in the UK has a clear understanding
of what they may or may not do and where and when and that anybody
still has the strength and determination to try and find out, given
that the status appears to me to be subject to change every ten
minutes or so.

Nick Trend in The Telegraph has littered his advice column with I
thinks and I believes and the rest of the things he seems to be sure
of are IMO convoluted beyond belief.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/can-still-travel-uk-local-lockdown-travel-questions-answered/

The Media Show podcast recently had a BBC Website wallah(1) saying
that they had tried to put all the UK covid regulations into a simple
type-in-your-postcode look-up system but have come to the conclusion
that the best advice they can offer is to read your local newspaper(3)
or listen to local radio(4).

Things are starting to change here and I have started to become more
interested in understanding the UK situation(5) because it is not
beyond the bounds of possibility that I might be able to come back
within the next month or two: just in time for Boris "Sheriff of
Nottingham" Johnson's inevitably-to-be-cancelled Christmas, no?

Unfortunately Milagros Costabel's article in the Telegraph today won't
leave you much wiser. Dateline Colonia - which is in a different
country on the opposite side of the same RIVER yet it still calls
Buenos Aires a coastal city and just keeps getting a worse grasp on
the facts from there. The individual anecdotes are still worth a read
to anybody interested:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/20/psychological-trauma-longest-lockdown-mounts-buenos-aires-argentina/

Nick

(1)Are we still allowed to say wallah these days?(2)
(2)Do people still know what it means?
(3)Long gone. Now some sprawling Yorkshire-wide website which is
beaten into a cocked hat by the pre-exisitng Yorkshire Post - which I
also do not read.
(4)I am not sure I know what that is nor whether I can de-rust the
tuning dial on my wireless sufficiently to move away from Radio 4.
(5)Beyond my continuing concern that friends and family are staying
safe, of course.
Penny
2020-10-20 16:49:38 UTC
On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 14:34:59 -0300, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
I find it remarkable that anybody in the UK has a clear understanding
of what they may or may not do and where and when and that anybody
still has the strength and determination to try and find out, given
that the status appears to me to be subject to change every ten
minutes or so.
I stopped paying much attention as I had given up the idea of going
anywhere much* and knew my children would not be coming here. Of course a
lot of other people don't pay much attention either and news that Welsh
police were challenging people who had travelled to Wales from areas in
lockdown in England was somewhat worrying.

Now our local government has decided to lockdown Wales for a couple of
weeks I suppose that is less of a worry. A lot of folk were complaining
this included Powys (where I live) which has one of the lowest figures for
cases (and deaths**) of any part of Wales.

I did wonder if the chap who decided that could not get his head around the
quoting of figures as per 100,000. In 2019 there were about 132,000 living
people in Powys, spread out over 5,000 sq km. Whereas the Cardiff urban
area has about 345,000 squeezed into 140 sq km.

However, given that Powys forms a large part of the border with England,
I'm now thinking the reason for including it was so the Police could
effectively close the English border (again), which central government,
when asked, said no to.

* I did escape to the coast for a day last week - quite brave really as I'd
just learnt a friend in Machynlleth had tested positive***.
** They all go to England to die - we have no 'proper' hospital.
*** While wondering how she could have caught it, she has figured out that
the three other cases in the town were all chefs at different restaurants,
one of which is next door to her house - the exhaust from the kitchen
ventilation is in her yard.
2020-10-20 17:22:09 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Well, Watford is Herts and is tier 1 and London is Tier 2 so if I
wanted to sit in the park or garden with daughters I can't,
apparently.
krw
2020-10-21 12:36:53 UTC
or listen to local radio
Do you really believe that Shock Jock Susan understands it sufficiently
well to explain it?
2020-10-21 08:40:12 UTC
On 20/10/2020 08:43, BrritSki wrote:
Sorry to follow-up to self, but I'll just leave this here...

I read this article yesterday that gives me some hope that it will be
over more quickly than people think. I don't agree with everything he
has to say, particularly about masks which are a no-cost option to
implement even if they do prove somewhat ineffective, and I suspect
there might be some double counting between the prior-immunity and
infected groups, but it is clear and logically argued and chimes with
what I've been thinking about the low death-rates this time around. It
would also possibly explain why the East has been more successful as
they have had more prior exposure to coronaviruses I think. And in line
with scientific method he makes some predictions based on his theory
which we will see come true or not quite quickly. I just hope if he's
right the politicians react appropriately quickly - BoJo's decision to
ignore Sage and not implement the circuit breaker gives me some confidence.

<https://lockdownsceptics.org/what-sage-got-wrong/>
Vicky Ayech
I think he is right.
Sam Plusnet
2020-10-19 20:16:35 UTC
Post by Hellerat
In other not spectacular news, I am scared of catching Coronavirus in
Athens and wish I were back in my Dubai bubble. Not looking forward to
travelling to Cyprus at all.
Looking at some numbers, the infection rate in Greece is certainly up,
but from a pretty low base number.
2020-10-18 09:27:48 UTC
B got a letter today inviting him to take part in the above. They are
apparently taking random names from GP records. If the person agrees
they get a kit sent, do a finger tip prick to test blood, that will
show within 15 minutes on the actual test if you have anitbodies. You
then enter the result on a website. It is anon. Records only seen by
research team.They do say the test is not 100% accurate at individual
level. They want even people who had the viorus and were tested to do
it.
Anyone else get one? Oh and you should not let anyone else do it
instead. Must be person letter is for. If you agree.
Yes, my husband did one a couple of months ago. Very quick, easy,
painless, just read the instructions properly first - if you do things
in the wrong order it doesn't work.

The test was negative.