Ask EU how would one organise an online pub quiz?
2020-07-03 13:51:27 UTC
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
Mike
2020-07-03 14:01:51 UTC
Post by DavidK
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
How un-Umratic!!!
2020-07-03 18:20:21 UTC
On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 14:51:27 +0100, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by DavidK
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
I think she was using a fairly short time frame for each question so they
probably do unless someone else actually knew it all.

I am constantly surprised by how bad some people are at finding stuff via a
search engine.

Evidence?
The number of misdirected emails I answer from people who have found a
photograph of the place they want to contact, clicked the [Contact Us]
button, selected the 'Contact the place shown in the photo' topic, entirely
ignored the bright yellow banner which pops up to tell them we don't hold
contact details for places photographed and asked if they can book the hall
for a party on [date].

I learnt my 'looking it up on the internet' skills in the last century -
pre Google when I was doing a monthly quiz by post with a few friends. I
would use the computer in the library, we weren't online at home at the
time. These days you don't even need to be able to spell.
2020-07-04 12:22:47 UTC
Post by DavidK
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
Cos the slower typist might have the better broadbean? Oh, and personally
speaking as a fast messy typist, the tortoise is the hero/ine as always.

Sincerely chris
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-07-04 19:21:32 UTC
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 12:22:47, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by DavidK
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
Cos the slower typist might have the better broadbean? Oh, and personally
speaking as a fast messy typist, the tortoise is the hero/ine as always.
Sincerely chris
I think it's partly a matter of honour (I don't know of any online ones
that give prizes, though some may exist), and partly that the
question-setters try to devise ones that would be hard to google -
either because they're complex questions, or at least are one-off. (Such
as the one in the Kirsty podcast - after being Jilted by Tom the first
time, who did Kirsty go with [there were three choices - Sam, Jazzer,
and Umbrella]. I think that would be hard to google.)

"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." - Woody Allen
Min
2020-07-21 00:07:22 UTC
Post by DavidK
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
Just putting this here to remind me to answer this tomorrow....
Min
Chris McMillan
2020-07-21 10:36:05 UTC
Post by Min
Post by DavidK
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
Just putting this here to remind me to answer this tomorrow....
LOL

Sincerely Chris
Min
2020-07-21 23:17:03 UTC
Post by DavidK
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
Because online quizzes (HQ, QLive and Hangtime are three I know) that give out money are simply too quick to be able to Google. With online pub quizzes (i.e You take your smartphone or pad into the pub..) again, there really isn't time. SpeedQuizzing, it was just about possible - but only if the answer came up on the first page (and the pub's network was also often switched off for greater security). There's another one (featured on 'Dragon's Den) called Kwizzbit - again, far too fast to Google. They are actually less cheatable than pen & paper. My pub (even the millennials) prefers paper and pencil for the social aspects. For that, we swap papers and mark each others' each round - phones are only allowed to be used while the answers are given out. If phones are seen by me (prowling...) or the staff, or other teams, the people using them can and will be disqualified. When the Quiz starts up again, I see me having to do the marking in order to maintain social distancing rules. I am happy(ish) to do this as long as I've got hand sanitiser and a proper mask...
HTH
Min
krw
2020-07-22 09:50:36 UTC
Post by Min
If phones are seen by me (prowling...) or the staff, or other teams, the people using them can
feel the impact of the snipper riffle.
2020-07-22 11:58:28 UTC
Post by Min
If phones are seen by me (prowling...) or the staff, or other teams, the
people using them can
feel the impact of the snipper riffle.
And the telescopic sights have been calibrated with surgical precision...
Min
2020-07-21 23:20:18 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
again, I see me having to do all the marking in order to maintain social
Min
steveski
2020-07-22 01:53:47 UTC
Post by Min
Post by DavidK
Why doesn't the person who can type into a search engine fastest win?
Because online quizzes (HQ, QLive and Hangtime are three I know) that
give out money are simply too quick to be able to Google. With online
[snippage]
Post by Min
I am happy(ish) to do this as long as I've got hand sanitiser
and a proper mask...
When I'm quizmaster on my railway (Chinnor and Princes Risborough - Fish
and Chips/Quiz evening - book now to avoid disappointment :-) ) [1] the
stewards make notes of obvious infractions and that team or teams are
marked down accordingly.

Whilst this may seem Draconian, it's astonishing the number of people who
openly (and with sardonic smiles) cheat using the InterTubes.

However, at the end of the evening, everyone is happy (no doubt due, at
least in part, to the alcohol imbibed) so it's a result for the
passengers and the entirely volunteer railway [also 1]

Be that as it may, when I'm a contestant in a quiz, everything has to be
verifiable and scrupulously above board :-)

[1] Nothing until next year, it looks like :-(
krw
2020-07-22 09:51:42 UTC
Chinnor and Princes Risborough
Max and I went on that a while ago. Difficult to get good photos. But
the dog was permitted so that was good.