The Curious Incident Of The Phone In The Co-op
2019-03-15 19:12:33 UTC
I've had an odd thing happen with my Android phone. It's working fine
again now, so this is just out of curiosity, but I'd love to know
whether umrats can shed any light on the matter.

A little while ago I tried to ring wofe from our local Co-Op store to
ask something about the shopping. It suddenly went into a boot-loop;
Android kept starting up, but it didn't go back to the manufacturer's
logo as it does on a full restart. It stayed on the lockscreen long
enough to get it to restart but that didn't help. I turned it off and
then tried it again a few minutes later when I was well away from the
shop. It was fine - perfectly normal.

It's been fine ever since until a couple of days ago when I phoned from
exactly the same spot, right next to the cash machine in the Co-Op. It
did it again. Turning it off, going away from the store and then
restarting sorted it out again and it's been fine since.

I just find it odd that the only times this has happened have been when
I was in exactly the same place. Could some external signal (from the
cash machine or something else) possibly be triggering it? Or is this
wholly fanciful? I've tried googling, but can't find anything -
possibly partly because I don't quite know how to ask the right question.

Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
2019-03-15 20:05:52 UTC
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:12:33 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
There's clearly a rift in the time/space continuum, or you're in the
eye of the storm as parallel universes collide somewhere within the
Co-op building. I suggest you watch the complete works of Star Trek,
Stargate and Fringe to find the solution. Walter Bishop could not
only explain it, but probably caused it. Sam Carter could fix it. Any
Captain of the Enterprise would be able to quote the historical
reference.
2019-03-16 00:45:16 UTC
Post by Fenny
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:12:33 +0000, Sid Nuncius
[]
Post by Fenny
Post by Sid Nuncius
I just find it odd that the only times this has happened have been when
I was in exactly the same place. Could some external signal (from the
cash machine or something else) possibly be triggering it? Or is this
wholly fanciful? I've tried googling, but can't find anything -
possibly partly because I don't quite know how to ask the right question.
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
There's clearly a rift in the time/space continuum, or you're in the
eye of the storm as parallel universes collide somewhere within the
Co-op building. I suggest you watch the complete works of Star Trek,
Stargate and Fringe to find the solution. Walter Bishop could not
only explain it, but probably caused it. Sam Carter could fix it. Any
Captain of the Enterprise would be able to quote the historical
reference.
Assuming they're English or their English is up to such a discussion,
why not ask the co-op staff if they have any ideas - or at least if any
other customers have reported anything similar.

And Jonathan Harker would never have sent all those letters to his beloved
Mina from Transylvania, he'd have texted her instead. "Stuck in weird castle w
guy w big teeth. Missing u. xxxx (-:" - Alison Graham, RT 2015/11/7-13
Mike
2019-03-16 08:13:44 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
I have experienced ‘no signal’ close to a chill cabinet in Lidl before now
- interference perhaps?
2019-03-16 09:45:39 UTC
On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 08:13:44 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Fenny
Post by Sid Nuncius
I just find it odd that the only times this has happened have been when
I was in exactly the same place. Could some external signal (from the
cash machine or something else) possibly be triggering it? Or is this
wholly fanciful? I've tried googling, but can't find anything -
possibly partly because I don't quite know how to ask the right question.
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
There's clearly a rift in the time/space continuum, or you're in the
eye of the storm as parallel universes collide somewhere within the
Co-op building. I suggest you watch the complete works of Star Trek,
Stargate and Fringe to find the solution. Walter Bishop could not
only explain it, but probably caused it. Sam Carter could fix it. Any
Captain of the Enterprise would be able to quote the historical
reference.
:)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Assuming they're English or their English is up to such a discussion,
why not ask the co-op staff if they have any ideas - or at least if any
other customers have reported anything similar.
I have experienced ‘no signal’ close to a chill cabinet in Lidl before now
- interference perhaps?
I can never get a radio signal inside a supermarket - I use my mobile more
as a pocket radio when walking than I ever use it as a phone.
2019-03-16 11:53:04 UTC
I can never get a radio signal inside a supermarket - I use my mobile more
as a pocket radio when walking than I ever use it as a phone.
I can never get a radio signal inside a supermarket either. I use a
pocket radio as a pocket radio - or it might be that I use an mp3 player
as a pocket radio since it does both.

2019-03-16 14:50:04 UTC
I can never get a radio signal inside a supermarket - I use my mobile more
as a pocket radio when walking than I ever use it as a phone.
I can never get a radio signal inside a supermarket either. I use a
pocket radio as a pocket radio - or it might be that I use an mp3 player
as a pocket radio since it does both.
Regrettably my current phone no longer has the bits needed to be a radio.
2019-03-16 15:27:11 UTC
I can never get a radio signal inside a supermarket - I use my mobile more
as a pocket radio when walking than I ever use it as a phone.
I can never get a radio signal inside a supermarket either. I use a
pocket radio as a pocket radio - or it might be that I use an mp3 player
as a pocket radio since it does both.
Regrettably my current phone no longer has the bits needed to be a radio.
And my radio never was a ‘phone...
2019-03-16 09:36:06 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
B says it happened to him lying in bed, not near any industrial
freezers. He thinks it could be to do with the touch screen. You touch
something on a corner and put a code in that you didn't know you were.
John Ashby
2019-03-15 20:24:29 UTC
[...]
The times my phone has behaved like that it has been due to me putting
the gel case on the wrong way round, thus pressing the power button
continually.

Which doesn't help with your proximity evidence.

2019-03-15 21:39:58 UTC
I've had an odd thing happen with my Android phone. It's working fine
again now, so this is just out of curiosity, but I'd love to know
whether umrats can shed any light on the matter.
[snip phone woes]
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.

Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).

HTH
2019-03-16 19:46:34 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
HTH
The stuff in the minibar in most hotel rooms is dreadfully expensive.
You would do well to procure your own from elsewhere.
2019-03-17 09:49:06 UTC
I've had an odd thing happen with my Android phone.  It's working fine
again now, so this is just out of curiosity, but I'd love to know
whether umrats can shed any light on the matter.
[snip phone woes]
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
HTH
The stuff in the minibar in most hotel rooms is dreadfully expensive.
You would do well to procure your own from elsewhere.
Many thanks for this and all the other sound advice from umrats. :o)

I think that's pretty much a collective shrug, then. Fair enough. I
just wondered.
2019-03-17 10:02:58 UTC
I've had an odd thing happen with my Android phone.  It's working fine
again now, so this is just out of curiosity, but I'd love to know
whether umrats can shed any light on the matter.
[snip phone woes]
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
HTH
The stuff in the minibar in most hotel rooms is dreadfully expensive.
You would do well to procure your own from elsewhere.
Many thanks for this and all the other sound advice from umrats. :o)
I think that's pretty much a collective shrug, then. Fair enough. I
just wondered.
Just ‘Give us a Bell’ if you want any more info..... err...
2019-03-17 20:02:17 UTC
I've had an odd thing happen with my Android phone.  It's working fine
again now, so this is just out of curiosity, but I'd love to know
whether umrats can shed any light on the matter.
[snip phone woes]
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
HTH
The stuff in the minibar in most hotel rooms is dreadfully expensive.
You would do well to procure your own from elsewhere.
Many thanks for this and all the other sound advice from umrats. :o)
I think that's pretty much a collective shrug, then.  Fair enough.  I
just wondered.
If I may sum up the collective wisdom of UMRA on this topic.
"Some funny stuff happens from time to time, dunno why."
2019-03-17 22:34:53 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
Before or after she transformed and married John Sheridan [1]?

[1] Who scored the winning goal for Sheffield Wednesday in their
Rumbelow's Cup win over the Mancs in 1991.
2019-03-18 00:34:50 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
Before or after she transformed and married John Sheridan?
You mean Bruce 'Wooden' Boxleitner?

Mind you, more facial muscles than Sinclair . . .
2019-03-18 00:39:37 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
Before or after she transformed and married John Sheridan?
You mean Bruce 'Wooden' Boxleitner?
Mind you, more facial muscles than Sinclair . . .
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...

"I hate the guys that criticize the enterprise of other guys whose enterprise
has made them rise above the guys who criticize!" (W9BRD, former editor of
"How's DX?" column in "QST")
steveski
2019-03-18 01:52:24 UTC
[snip phone woes]
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
Before or after she transformed and married John Sheridan?
You mean Bruce 'Wooden' Boxleitner?
Mind you, more facial muscles than Sinclair . . .
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.

2019-03-18 08:29:25 UTC
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.

***@cdixon.me.uk
She is still living happily on fb :)
Serena Blanchflower
2019-03-19 09:59:21 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.

In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses Theatre.
Tewkesbury, this weekend? (Two matinees and two evenings) All very
welcome!
I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells (Dr. Seuss)
carolet
2019-03-19 13:34:15 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses Theatre.
Tewkesbury, this weekend?   (Two matinees and two evenings)  All very
welcome!
Ooooh! I have tickets for that.
2019-03-19 14:13:09 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses
Theatre. Tewkesbury, this weekend?   (Two matinees and two evenings)
All very welcome!
Ooooh! I have tickets for that.
I've let Min know, in case she doesn't find her way in here,
I have to trust what I do and then do it (Ednita Nazario)
Min
2019-03-19 18:21:08 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses
Theatre. Tewkesbury, this weekend?   (Two matinees and two evenings)
All very welcome!
Ooooh! I have tickets for that.
I've let Min know, in case she doesn't find her way in here,
I have found my way in here, and am delighted that carolet will be there!
Thanks for the name check!
Min
Mike
2019-03-19 18:41:05 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses
Theatre. Tewkesbury, this weekend?   (Two matinees and two evenings)
All very welcome!
Ooooh! I have tickets for that.
I've let Min know, in case she doesn't find her way in here,
I have found my way in here, and am delighted that carolet will be there!
Thanks for the name check!
Keep your bullets dry Min!
2019-03-19 19:06:08 UTC
Post by Min
I have found my way in here, and am delighted that carolet will be there!
Thanks for the name check!
Hurrah! Lovely to hear from you, MOPMOB!
2019-03-20 10:14:40 UTC
Post by Min
I have found my way in here, and am delighted that carolet will be there!
Thanks for the name check!
Hurrah! Lovely to hear from you, MOPMOB!
Enjoy, Carolet!

We expect a review

2019-03-19 19:40:24 UTC
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 11:21:08 -0700 (PDT), Min
Post by Min
I have found my way in here, and am delighted that carolet will be there!
Thanks for the name check!
*waves*
SODAM
2019-03-19 23:17:24 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses
Theatre. Tewkesbury, this weekend?   (Two matinees and two evenings)
All very welcome!
Ooooh! I have tickets for that.
I've let Min know, in case she doesn't find her way in here,
I have found my way in here, and am delighted that carolet will be there!
Thanks for the name check!
Min, Min, come in, come in,
Take off your coat and stay!
Lots of umrats gone away,
But your absence is a sin.

Granny Weatherwax at the max
Is nothing compared to you.
Drink down your magic brew-
Dild can’t supply what umra lacks:
You.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Min
2019-03-20 18:13:51 UTC
An Ode from SODAM! I feel blessed indeed. Since I am now
a Narcoleptic, the only piece of jewellery I wear that
I didn't make myself is a rather gorgeous "I ate'nt dead"
necklace from the Discworld Emporium...
Min
Mike
2019-03-20 18:28:54 UTC
Post by Min
An Ode from SODAM! I feel blessed indeed. Since I am now
a Narcoleptic, the only piece of jewellery I wear that
I didn't make myself is a rather gorgeous "I ate'nt dead"
necklace from the Discworld Emporium...
Does not the snipper riffle count as an adornment? Maybe it isn’t ‘bling’
at all, but a very necessary tool - what would I know.
2019-03-19 19:13:14 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses Theatre.
Tewkesbury, this weekend? (Two matinees and two evenings) All very
welcome!
We don’t have many Gloucestershire based ‘rats now I think.

2019-03-19 21:21:38 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses Theatre.
Tewkesbury, this weekend?   (Two matinees and two evenings)  All very
welcome!
Umrats are all nodding and saying
"Well of course! Perfect casting."
2019-03-20 06:05:39 UTC
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses
Theatre. Tewkesbury, this weekend?   (Two matinees and two evenings)
All very welcome!
Umrats are all nodding and saying
"Well of course!  Perfect casting."
I can't be having with that kind of thing. At least she ate'nt dead, mind.
2019-04-07 15:52:41 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
A virtual generous glass of Dild raised in salute.
I've let Min know, via FB, that a glass had been raised in her honour
and she's said she'll try to look in on us, to see what's going on.
In the meantime, she's asked me to let you know that she'll be
performing as Granny Weatherwax in 'Wyrd Sisters' at the Roses Theatre.
Tewkesbury, this weekend?   (Two matinees and two evenings)  All very
welcome!
Funnily enough[1] the room in which I am now soot[2] is opposite a vinyl
banner advertising Wyrd Sisters. But this is the Honley Players version
and probably has very little to do with dild.

I'm in my son's living room. Not the one in Victoria, British Columbia -
I haven't been there since, ooh, Thursday, at least. I got back to Dear
Old Blighty on Friday, started pet sitting on Saturday for the other son
who is now in Ireland. It's all quite simple, really. Or so they tell me.

Nick
[1]Probably not funny enough as I am playing catchup with umrasome weeks
later
[2]I never could get the hang of English irregular verbs

steveski
2019-03-18 11:23:54 UTC
[snip phone woes]
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
Before or after she transformed and married John Sheridan?
You mean Bruce 'Wooden' Boxleitner?
Mind you, more facial muscles than Sinclair . . .
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
Yes, I know Min (and her snipper rifle) - I was just wondering what John
meant.
2019-03-18 14:41:12 UTC
On 18 Mar 2019 11:23:54 GMT, steveski <***@invalid.com> scrawled in
the dust...
[snip phone woes]
Post by Sid Nuncius
Any views from the Combined Wisdom Of Umra would be very welcome.
I think you should compensate the tachyon fields in the gel packs.
Or get the Minbari in - Delenn would sort it (guv).
Before or after she transformed and married John Sheridan?
You mean Bruce 'Wooden' Boxleitner?
Mind you, more facial muscles than Sinclair . . .
I am reminded of the much-missed Min, and the small number of muscles
needed for her snipper rifle ...
And your meaning?
You had to be there.
Yes, I know Min (and her snipper rifle) - I was just wondering what John
meant.
Reference to number of muscles?
Such things will trigger other memories.
2019-03-18 21:11:40 UTC
You mean Bruce 'Wooden' Boxleitner?
Yes, but he looked good :-)