Yet another version.
Add Reply
steve hague
2021-06-28 19:30:41 UTC
Next weekend there's yet another Robin Hood on TV. Since it's on at 9pm,
there may be some saucy bits or some uneccesary swearing. It makes me
wonder how many fictional characters can have had so many films and TV
series named after them. I remember Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone from
the 1930s film, but what mostly sticks in what passes for my mind these
days is Richard Greene in the 1950s/60s TV version. If you don't want an
earworm, stop reading now. "Robin Hood, Robin Hood, riding through the
glen, Robin Hood,Robin Hood, with his band of men. Feared by the bad,
loved by the good, Robin Hood,Robin Hood, Robin Hood." There weren't any
glens in Sherwood Forest last time we were there, just a Centre Parcs.
The Michael Praed version in the 1980s wasn't bad, but I might be swayed
by the music from Clannad. Jason Connery was a terrible replacement. Let
us not speak of Americans and Antipodeans playing the part. The TV drive
towards inclusivity leads me to speculate. What pronoun will we need?
Steve
steve hague
Answering the first part of my own post, it's Sherlock Holmes of course.
Joe Kerr
2021-06-28 19:58:35 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by steve hague
[...]
Dracula must make the short list.
Ric
Sam Plusnet
2021-06-28 20:31:23 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by steve hague
Post by steve hague
[...]
Constantly revived by an infusion of new blood?
2021-06-29 07:33:53 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by steve hague
Post by steve hague
[...]
You could stake your life on it! (Pass the garlic, there’s a good fellow)
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Mike McMillan
2021-06-29 07:32:19 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by steve hague
Post by steve hague
[...]
It’s that Dratted Moriarty Eccles!
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-06-28 20:04:39 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by steve hague
Next weekend there's yet another Robin Hood on TV. Since it's on at
9pm, there may be some saucy bits or some uneccesary swearing. It
makes me wonder how many fictional characters can have had so many
films and TV series named after them. I remember Errol Flynn and
Basil Rathbone from the 1930s film, but what mostly sticks in what
passes for my mind these days is Richard Greene in the 1950s/60s TV
version. If you don't want an earworm, stop reading now. "Robin Hood,
Robin Hood, riding through the glen, Robin Hood,Robin Hood, with his
band of men. Feared by the bad, loved by the good, Robin Hood,Robin
Hood, Robin Hood." There weren't any glens in Sherwood Forest last
I always think of
when I
hear that.
Post by steve hague
Post by steve hague
time we were there, just a Centre Parcs. The Michael Praed version in
the 1980s wasn't bad, but I might be swayed by the music from
Clannad. Jason Connery was a terrible replacement. Let us not speak
of Americans and Antipodeans playing the part. The TV drive towards
inclusivity leads me to speculate. What pronoun will we need?
Steve
Answering the first part of my own post, it's Sherlock Holmes of course.
There have been quite a lot of Dracula, too, especially if you include
the ones with different names.

I've never really "got" sport or physical exercise. The only muscle I've ever
enjoyed exercising is the one between my ears. - Beryl Hales, Radio Times
24-30 March 2012
Vicky Ayech
2021-06-28 20:38:11 UTC
On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 20:34:06 +0100, steve hague
Post by steve hague
Post by steve hague
[...]
Yes the Richard Green version is the one I htink of first. Although I
lived the Sean Connery and Audry Hepburn version.
Vicky Ayech
loved not lived
Penny
2021-06-28 21:32:30 UTC
On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 20:30:41 +0100, steve hague <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by steve hague
[...]
Um, Errol Flynn was Australian - I see Tim Minchin is in this newer one as
Friar Tuck, interesting casting.

I grew up with Richard Greene too - I'm still hooked on all things Robin
Hood.
2021-06-28 21:12:30 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
The "fabled" grave of Robin Hood is here, at Kirklees Priory. Our
Kirklees Local Authority was named after Kirklees Priory although the
priory and the grave are actually in Calderdale.

Nick
steve hague
Let's not forget the Mel Brookes version.
Jenny M Benson
2021-06-29 09:01:01 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
Not quite an earworm, but a couple of days ago I noticed that Ivanhoe
was to be broadcast on one of the "repeater" channels. Thanks to this
series being shown on local TV when I was resident in Switzerland in the
early 1960's, I immediately burst out with a loud rendition of
"E-van-o-ay!"

if you want to hear what I heard then.
Wrexham, UK
BrritSki
2021-06-29 13:49:19 UTC
Not quite an earworm, but a couple of days ago I noticed that Ivanhoe > was to be broadcast on one of the "repeater" channels.  Thanks to this
series being shown on local TV when I was resident in Switzerland in the
early 1960's, I immediately burst out with a loud rendition of
"E-van-o-ay!"
E-van-o-ay
E-van-o-ay
E-van-o-ay
In the jungle, the mighty jungle. Oh, hang on...
Mike McMillan
2021-06-29 16:15:08 UTC
Not quite an earworm, but a couple of days ago I noticed that Ivanhoe >
was to be broadcast on one of the "repeater" channels.  Thanks to this
series being shown on local TV when I was resident in Switzerland in the
early 1960's, I immediately burst out with a loud rendition of
"E-van-o-ay!"
E-van-o-ay
E-van-o-ay
E-van-o-ay
In the jungle, the mighty jungle. Oh, hang on...
Hertz van Rental sleeps tonight…
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Sid Nuncius
2021-06-30 06:10:18 UTC
Not quite an earworm, but a couple of days ago I noticed that Ivanhoe
was to be broadcast on one of the "repeater" channels.  Thanks to this
series being shown on local TV when I was resident in Switzerland in
the early 1960's, I immediately burst out with a loud rendition of
"E-van-o-ay!"
E-van-o-ay
E-van-o-ay
E-van-o-ay
In the jungle, the mighty jungle.  Oh, hang on...
That's just a Token attempt at humour.[1]

[1]But a rather better one than mine...
--
Sid