The Japanese have a word for it
2019-01-05 12:12:27 UTC
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, 積ん読, lit. "pile up-read")."
2019-01-05 13:52:31 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, 積ん読, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.

2019-01-05 14:00:14 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, 積ん読, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
Nick
Ok Nick, come quietly now please - you’re booked.
2019-01-05 14:09:07 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, 積ん読, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
Nick
Ok Nick, come quietly now please - you’re booked.
Your attitude speaks volumes.

2019-01-05 14:13:40 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, 積ん読, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
Nick
Ok Nick, come quietly now please - you’re booked.
Your attitude speaks volumes.
Nick
Now, now, go quietly with the page boy or we’ll throw the law at you,
chapter and verse.
You old ham !
Mike
2019-01-05 15:21:37 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, 積ん読, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
You old ham !
Gammon now, be a sport!
2019-01-05 15:15:53 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more
books than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks
& flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, 積ん読, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
I thought a cure had already been found, but it was shelved.
Paul Herber
2019-01-05 15:19:36 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, ???, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
Getting married and moving into my wife's bungalow became a forced cure for me :-(
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2019-01-05 16:28:02 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, ???, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
Getting married and moving into my wife's bungalow became a forced cure for me :-(
A bungalow? You mean you have all that lovely acreage above the living
quarters and you haven't yet built a library above it?

Nick
Paul Herber
2019-01-05 16:47:16 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, ???, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
Getting married and moving into my wife's bungalow became a forced cure for me :-(
A bungalow? You mean you have all that lovely acreage above the living
quarters and you haven't yet built a library above it?
If I were up there and told to stand up straight I'd knock myself out!
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2019-01-05 17:24:46 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, ???, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
Getting married and moving into my wife's bungalow became a forced cure for me :-(
A bungalow? You mean you have all that lovely acreage above the living
quarters and you haven't yet built a library above it?
If I were up there and told to stand up straight I'd knock myself out!
No, no, no. I don't mean shove boks in the nooks and crannies around the
joists. 'd expect you to jack the roof timbers up and insert a second -
and maybe a third - storey up there.

2019-01-05 20:26:23 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
But...... (wait for it.....) , that’s another story!
2019-01-07 08:57:36 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
That's wrong on so many levels!

***@cdixon.me.uk
2019-01-07 09:02:46 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
Chris
Oh! Lofty thoughts eh?
Paul Herber
2019-01-05 21:48:01 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, ???, lit. "pile up-read")."
The trouble is that, once they've got a name for it, some bright spark
will invent a cure for it but I don't want to be cured, thank you.
Getting married and moving into my wife's bungalow became a forced cure for me :-(
A bungalow? You mean you have all that lovely acreage above the living
quarters and you haven't yet built a library above it?
If I were up there and told to stand up straight I'd knock myself out!
No, no, no. I don't mean shove boks in the nooks and crannies around the
joists. 'd expect you to jack the roof timbers up and insert a second -
and maybe a third - storey up there.
We wanted to extend but the ground here might not be suitable. In case of movement a
builder has suggested we install some tell-tales.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-05 22:47:54 UTC
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 16:28:02 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Post by Paul Herber
Getting married and moving into my wife's bungalow became a forced cure for me :-(
A bungalow? You mean you have all that lovely acreage above the living
quarters and you haven't yet built a library above it?
If I were up there and told to stand up straight I'd knock myself out!
No, no, no. I don't mean shove boks in the nooks and crannies around the
joists. 'd expect you to jack the roof timbers up and insert a second -
and maybe a third - storey up there.
A collection of short stories?
2019-01-06 10:37:23 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Somerats will no doubt be pleased to learn that they suffer from
"tsundoku", which I am told means "the act or art of acquiring more books
than one will ever actually read, such that they gather in stacks &
flocks on shelves and floors (Japanese, 積ん読, lit. "pile up-read")."
I like it. Is there an electronic version (積ん電読 perhaps?) for all those
books sold at 99p as a one-day offer?

PS I was amused to find on Jim Breen's dictionary
<http://nihongo.monash.edu/cgi-bin/wwwjdic?1E>, when I looked up ebook,
that the word for cooking for oneself is also used for scanning
something to get it in electronic form. A while new meaning for cooking
the books

自炊 【じすい】 (n,vs,adj-no) (1) cooking for oneself; cooking one's own food;
doing one's own cooking; making food oneself; self-catering; (2)
scanning a book or magazine to create an ebook by oneself;
Sid Nuncius
2019-01-06 11:21:58 UTC
Post by DavidK
PS I was amused to find on Jim Breen's dictionary
<http://nihongo.monash.edu/cgi-bin/wwwjdic?1E>, when I looked up ebook,
that the word for cooking for oneself is also used for scanning
something to get it in electronic form. A while new meaning for cooking
the books
自炊 【じすい】 (n,vs,adj-no) (1) cooking for oneself; cooking one's own
food; doing one's own cooking; making food oneself; self-catering; (2)
scanning a book or magazine to create an ebook by oneself;
To be fair, I've heard the English term "self-catering" used to describe
activities other than food preparation - although not scanning something
to get it in electronic form.