7.9.21 Tuesday
2021-09-07 21:10:00 UTC
Bleurgh. The only bit I didn't mind was that final scene. I liked
that :).
All the Eddie and Joy stuff and most of the Susan and Neil was not
entertainment. And went on too long, or that last couple did. And I am
tired of the SWs having fun that is not funny with Eddie. The whole
limo and mystery tour thing is pathetic. Ok I liked that they went off
for sandwiches. I hope Clarrie is not going to have to tell Joy to
back off. Joy tried to get Tony and Shula tried for Neil. Ambridge is
a hotbed of potential adultory.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-09-08 11:22:44 UTC
Bleurgh. The only bit I didn't mind was that final scene. I liked
that :).
All the Eddie and Joy stuff and most of the Susan and Neil was not
entertainment. And went on too long, or that last couple did. And I am
Well, at least the Susan and Neil stuff _seems_ to have come to a head -
Susan finally saying what's on her mind, and Neil getting it. Both have
been very irritating - mainly Susan IMO (men aren't good at getting
subtleties), though Neil sometimes insensitive (though only to we
listeners who know what Susan's concerns are; I don't think he was if he
_didn't_ know).
Post by Vicky Ayech
tired of the SWs having fun that is not funny with Eddie. The whole
You and me both (and, probably, most of us).
Post by Vicky Ayech
limo and mystery tour thing is pathetic. Ok I liked that they went off
I'm wondering just how long it's going to go on before he gets "done"
for the illegal activity. Even if the other taxi operator in the village
(Rex is it?) doesn't "dob him in", surely in the current police state
some agency would have noticed before now. (If nothing else, there's a
policeman living in the village!) And what is he doing about insurance?
Most private insurances I've looked at for the last few years cover the
car (other than ones for people in the motor trade etc.); I assume at
least he's added the limo to his insurance, even though I wouldn't put
it past him not to have declared any use other than "private domestic
pleasure and commuting". [Or do agricultural people have different types
of insurance? (Does Eddie still do ag. work at his age?)]

I'm also not sure what sort of car it is; sure, I don't expect the BBC
to mention brands, but I'm unclear whether it's just a luxury car -
Roller, Daimler, Bentley, big Merc, or similar - or a (usually slightly
less grand initially) stretch limo. The fact that he's doing mystery
tours (though this was in fact the first I'd heard of it!), not to
mention the impracticality of driving such a thing around country lanes,
makes me think it is the former.

(Also, where's he keeping it? There was some suggestion of him "hiding"
it initially, as he wanted the original purpose - driving Clarrie in it
to something on their anniversary - to be a surprise, but ...)
Post by Vicky Ayech
for sandwiches. I hope Clarrie is not going to have to tell Joy to
back off. Joy tried to get Tony and Shula tried for Neil. Ambridge is
a hotbed of potential adultory.
[Unless that's a political jab, I think you'll find it's adultEry. (-:]
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
extent, but I don't think she had any thought of anything stronger in
mind (sexual or otherwise); she just took advantage of his willingness
to do things (and that gradually and perhaps unconsciously). On his
part, I think it started out as just friendliness (plus pleasure in
being able to do practical things for someone, in the same way I like
helping with computer problems); yes, it developed into "seeking
refuge", but no more than that, and only when Susan's behaviour became
incomprehensible to him.

I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding that I get up
early on Sundays to apologize for being human.
-- Captain Splendid (quoted by "The Real Bev" in mozilla.general, 2014-11-16)
Vicky Ayech
2021-09-08 12:11:15 UTC
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 12:22:44 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Vicky Ayech
for sandwiches. I hope Clarrie is not going to have to tell Joy to
back off. Joy tried to get Tony and Shula tried for Neil. Ambridge is
a hotbed of potential adultory.
I actually spellchecked that word! There is such a word but it
probably gave it with e too and I didn't look carefully at the
spellcheck.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[Unless that's a political jab, I think you'll find it's adultEry. (-:]
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
incomprehensible to him.
Mike McMillan
2021-09-08 12:27:28 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
extent, but I don't think she had any thought of anything stronger in
mind (sexual or otherwise); she just took advantage of his willingness
to do things (and that gradually and perhaps unconsciously). On his
part, I think it started out as just friendliness (plus pleasure in
being able to do practical things for someone, in the same way I like
helping with computer problems); yes, it developed into "seeking
refuge", but no more than that, and only when Susan's behaviour became
incomprehensible to him.
ITYWFT Shula ‘Had had a thing for Kneal’ past tense and all that.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-09-08 13:31:50 UTC
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 at 12:27:28, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 12:22:44 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
[]
Post by Mike McMillan
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
Probably. I miss a lot.
[]
Post by Mike McMillan
ITYWFT Shula ‘Had had a thing for Kneal’ past tense and all that.
I certainly didn't get the impression that the recent relationship was
anything other than just - admittedly very - good friends, either in
actuality or in the mind of either.

Worst programme ever made? I was in hospital once having a knee operation and I
watched a whole episode of "EastEnders". Ugh! I suppose it's true to life. But
so is diarrhoea - and I don't want to see that on television. - Patrick Moore,
in Radio Times 12-18 May 2007.
Hellerat
2021-09-08 15:46:41 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
ITYWFT Shula ‘Had had a thing for Kneal’ past tense and all that.
I certainly didn't get the impression that the recent relationship was anything other than
just - admittedly very - good friends, either in actuality or in the mind of either.
I heard the same quite recent episode as Vicky, when Shula admitted to her ex-husband, of
all people, that she thought she was in lurve with Neil.
--
Yassas,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Hellerat
Vicky Ayech
I didn't mean had in that it was in the past. It is now.
Mike McMillan
2021-09-09 07:43:41 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 12:22:44 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
Probably. I miss a lot.
[]
ITYWFT Shula ‘Had had a thing for Kneal’ past tense and all that.
I certainly didn't get the impression that the recent relationship was
anything other than just - admittedly very - good friends, either in
actuality or in the mind of either.
I didn't mean had in that it was in the past. It is now.
My radio’s sound has a different colour tinge to yours… ;-)))
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Hellerat
2021-09-09 07:49:27 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 12:22:44 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
Probably. I miss a lot.
[]
ITYWFT Shula ‘Had had a thing for Kneal’ past tense and all that.
I certainly didn't get the impression that the recent relationship was
anything other than just - admittedly very - good friends, either in
actuality or in the mind of either.
I didn't mean had in that it was in the past. It is now.
Agreed!
Post by Mike McMillan
My radio’s sound has a different colour tinge to yours… ;-)))
Mine's the same hue as Vicky's. Let's not cry about it.
steve hague
2021-09-09 09:44:44 UTC
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
Neil has always been a horny-handed son of the soil, despite Soosan's
early attempts to make him into a Young Executive. Perhaps what Shula
likes about him is his honesty. At times he's attempted to go along with
his wife's ambitions, but his nature has prevailed.
2021-09-09 10:43:09 UTC
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 10:44:44 +0100, steve hague
Post by steve hague
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
Neil has always been a horny-handed son of the soil,
I always took that to mean hands that got horny doing farm work but
you've now givenit a whole new meaning.
2021-09-09 17:03:02 UTC
Post by steve hague
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
Neil has always been a horny-handed son of the soil, despite Soosan's
early attempts to make him into a Young Executive. Perhaps what Shula
likes about him is his honesty. At times he's attempted to go along with
his wife's ambitions, but his nature has prevailed.
Neil & Shula did spend time together when teenagers, though I can't
remember how far the relationship progressed.
Perhaps Shula sees Neil as a token of her youth and a way of revisiting
happier times.
2021-09-09 18:59:06 UTC
Post by steve hague
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
Neil has always been a horny-handed son of the soil, despite Soosan's
early attempts to make him into a Young Executive. Perhaps what Shula
likes about him is his honesty. At times he's attempted to go along
with his wife's ambitions, but his nature has prevailed.
Neil & Shula did spend time together when teenagers, though I can't
remember how far the relationship progressed.
Perhaps Shula sees Neil as a token of her youth and a way of revisiting
happier times.
I'm don't think their relationship was ever consummated but it was
definitely a romantic relationship. I think that, for both of them, the
other was "the one who got away" and the subject of "what if" type
fantasies.

It seems pretty clear to me that, recently, both of them have been
wallowing in these fantasies as an escape from the stresses and
challenges of real life. Fortunately, Neil has now recognised that
that's all they were, while Shula may still be in thrall to them.
Why is ‘dark’ spelled with a k and not c? Because you can’t see in the dark.
Peter Withey
2021-09-10 08:43:12 UTC
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:59:06 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by steve hague
[...]
It wasn't. Simon Parker had that privilage.

Partly from memory and confirmed by both of the books.
Pete
carolet
2021-09-10 17:11:49 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
She may still be in thrall, but she also seems determined not to do
anything about it that will cause trouble.
Peter Withey
2021-09-10 08:39:07 UTC
Post by steve hague
I don't think Shula "tried for" Neil - nor, in fact, that there was
anything between them - or either of them thinking there was - beyond
good friends. Sure, she perhaps began to take him for granted to a tiny
Did you miss the scene where Shula told Snappy she had a thing for
Neil?
Neil has always been a horny-handed son of the soil, despite Soosan's
early attempts to make him into a Young Executive. Perhaps what Shula
likes about him is his honesty. At times he's attempted to go along with
his wife's ambitions, but his nature has prevailed.
Neil & Shula did spend time together when teenagers, though I can't
remember how far the relationship progressed.
Perhaps Shula sees Neil as a token of her youth and a way of revisiting
happier times.
Quote from the TAE, the Book of the Archers entry is similar.

The great , unrequited, love of his life was Shula Archer, who would
occationally go out with him if there was nobody else around, but
could only think of him as a friend.
Pete
Penny
2021-09-10 20:38:14 UTC
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:13:23 -0000 (UTC), Chris
Neil lived with Martha and Joby Woodford so was never going to be Shula’s
equal in those class ridden days. I wasn’t listening then and would have to
dig into the books to find out how Neil arrived in the village: bet he was
an orphan!
He was born in Oxfordshire, moved to Birmingham with his mother and wanted
to live in the country. He was apprenticed to Ambridge Farmers (Ltd) at the
age of 16 under an agricultural training scheme and took lodgings with the
Woodfords.

He made a mess of pretty much everything on the farm at the beginning but
persevered and turned out pretty well in the end of his training. He was
offered a place on the Borchester United football team but turned it down
because he'd rather stay on the farm.
Happiness comes in through doors you didn't even know you'd left open.
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-09-09 20:10:45 UTC
Post by steve hague
Neil has always been a horny-handed son of the soil
Or, as Adrian Henri might have put it, a horny-handed ton of soil.

2021-09-09 19:05:10 UTC
Bleurgh.  The only bit I didn't mind was that final scene. I liked
that :).
All the Eddie and Joy stuff and most of the Susan and Neil was not
entertainment. And went on too long, or that last couple did. And I am
Well, at least the Susan and Neil stuff _seems_ to have come to a head -
Susan finally saying what's on her mind, and Neil getting it. Both have
been very irritating - mainly Susan IMO (men aren't good at getting
subtleties), though Neil sometimes insensitive (though only to we
listeners who know what Susan's concerns are; I don't think he was if he
_didn't_ know).
tired of the SWs having fun that is not funny with Eddie.  The whole
You and me both (and, probably, most of us).
I'm certainly another one who's finding supremely unfunny :(
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
limo and mystery tour thing is pathetic. Ok I liked that they went off
I'm wondering just how long it's going to go on before he gets "done"
for the illegal activity. Even if the other taxi operator in the village
(Rex is it?) doesn't "dob him in", surely in the current police state
some agency would have noticed before now. (If nothing else, there's a
policeman living in the village!) And what is he doing about insurance?
Most private insurances I've looked at for the last few years cover the
car (other than ones for people in the motor trade etc.); I assume at
least he's added the limo to his insurance, even though I wouldn't put
it past him not to have declared any use other than "private domestic
pleasure and commuting". [Or do agricultural people have different types
of insurance? (Does Eddie still do ag. work at his age?)]
I would be amazed if he had anything more than the most basic insurance.
Not least because the whole point of it (from Eddie's point of view)
is that it isn't a taxi business ('cos that would be illegal). Surely
people giving him voluntary tips can't require special insurance
<innocent look>?
Q. Which bird always succeeds?
A. A budgie with no teeth.
Clive Arthur
2021-09-08 13:18:34 UTC
On 07/09/2021 22:10, Vicky Ayech wrote:

<snipped>

Joy tried to get Tony and Shula tried for Neil.

IRTA "Joy [attempted] to get Tony and Shula tried [in a court of law]
for Neil." I wondered what I'd missed.
--
Cheers
Clive
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-09-08 13:36:58 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snipped>
Joy tried to get Tony and Shula tried for Neil.
IRTA "Joy [attempted] to get Tony and Shula tried [in a court of law]
for Neil." I wondered what I'd missed.
(-:

I don't think Joy tried anything serious; she's just flirty (by some
people's definition) by nature, she does it with anyone (man, at least;
not sure otherwise) she doesn't immediately detect will object. Whether
she'd go further if someone responded positively, I'm not sure - but if
she did, I don't think she'd mean anything serious. I don't think she is
often serious about anything - though I think she _can_ be, especially
when someone's in real need. (In that latter respect, though absolutely
no other!, she's like L*nda.) I think I'd like to have her as a friend -
though would find her frustrating at times!

in Radio Times 12-18 May 2007.
Chris
2021-09-09 07:51:37 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
<snipped>
Joy tried to get Tony and Shula tried for Neil.
IRTA "Joy [attempted] to get Tony and Shula tried [in a court of law]
for Neil." I wondered what I'd missed.
I don't think Joy tried anything serious; she's just flirty (by some
people's definition) by nature, she does it with anyone (man, at least;
not sure otherwise) she doesn't immediately detect will object. Whether
she'd go further if someone responded positively, I'm not sure - but if
she did, I don't think she'd mean anything serious. I don't think she is
often serious about anything - though I think she _can_ be, especially
when someone's in real need. (In that latter respect, though absolutely
no other!, she's like L*nda.) I think I'd like to have her as a friend -
though would find her frustrating at times!
At least you speak the Geordie, jpeg! If that’s what she’s portrayed to be.

2021-09-09 19:00:47 UTC
I don't think Joy tried anything serious; she's just flirty (by some
people's definition) by nature, she does it with anyone (man, at least;
not sure otherwise) she doesn't immediately detect will object. Whether
she'd go further if someone responded positively, I'm not sure - but if
she did, I don't think she'd mean anything serious. I don't think she is
often serious about anything - though I think she _can_ be, especially
when someone's in real need. (In that latter respect, though absolutely
no other!, she's like L*nda.) I think I'd like to have her as a friend -
though would find her frustrating at times!
I agree with you, she's just flirty and lonely. Like you, I think she's
someone I'd like, in real life, while sometimes finding her infuriating.
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every
part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder. (John Glenn)
Rosalind Mitchell
2021-09-09 20:15:48 UTC
Worst programme ever made? I was in hospital once having a knee
operation and I watched a whole episode of "EastEnders".
Ha! I've been having to watch a lot of episodes of EastEnders from the
1980s for my MLitt dissertaion. Bloody depressing, isn't it!

2021-09-09 21:47:20 UTC
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:15:48 -0000 (UTC), Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Worst programme ever made? I was in hospital once having a knee
operation and I watched a whole episode of "EastEnders".
Ha! I've been having to watch a lot of episodes of EastEnders from the
1980s for my MLitt dissertaion. Bloody depressing, isn't it!
I used to watch at the beginning, years ago. It was ok then.

Currently I tried White Lotus, watched all 6 episodes so you don't
have to.It was dire although in the Radio Times some celebs are saying
it's good. Also watched 2 of The Chair and 2 of 9 people. I felt 2 was
enough to give them a chance. I don't have to suffer more. The Chair
is not that funny and 9 Persons is miserable.
Vicky Ayech
2021-09-11 09:09:39 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Worst programme ever made? I was in hospital once having a knee
operation and I watched a whole episode of "EastEnders".
Ha! I've been having to watch a lot of episodes of EastEnders from the
1980s for my MLitt dissertaion. Bloody depressing, isn't it!
I used to watch at the beginning, years ago. It was ok then.
Currently I tried White Lotus, watched all 6 episodes so you don't
have to.It was dire although in the Radio Times some celebs are saying
it's good. Also watched 2 of The Chair and 2 of 9 people. I felt 2 was
enough to give them a chance. I don't have to suffer more. The Chair
is not that funny and 9 Persons is miserable.
I have watched one episode of White Lotus and cannot make up my mind if
it is dire or if it is supposed to be that bad and therefore to be
considered a joke?
Thinking back, spoiler for E1

The young man says the corpse travelling on the plane is his wife?
Doesn't he? Or did I remember it wrong all through> I

I waited through 6 nuggering episodes for him to kill her or her to
die and him to be blamed but it wasn't her and although he killed the
person he got off as far as I could see and the wife unsatisfyingly
went back to the dzflkghaeorth;kjnpvogdc[fhiptgh.

Mike McMillan
2021-09-11 07:57:06 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Worst programme ever made? I was in hospital once having a knee
operation and I watched a whole episode of "EastEnders".
Ha! I've been having to watch a lot of episodes of EastEnders from the
1980s for my MLitt dissertaion. Bloody depressing, isn't it!
The first few years were not too bad. But then one Sean O'Connor turned
up and decided to knock some sense into the programme and had Little Mo
set about her (husband/partner) with an iron. Which was the end.
Whatever happened to him? I heard he tried and failed to run a radio
soap and then vanished.
I think he ‘bowed’ out.
--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan