weekly allowance (from Twitter)
2020-02-27 16:45:41 UTC
Do you really have a weekly allowance?

KD:
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.

As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.

Norman Tebbitt has the irritating quality of being much nicer in person than
he is in print. - Clive Anderson, RT 1996/10/12-18
krw
2020-02-27 17:23:08 UTC
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
I am not sure I understand what that means.

I assume that 39 actor bookings means 1 actor booked for one day?

So 39 actors can be used in a week if they only record on a single day?

Or 10 actors booked for 2 days (so 20 days) and 19 booked for 1 day?

As I understand it Peggy in deference to age records all her scenes on 1
day - but could still appear on all six days?
2020-02-27 18:02:35 UTC
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week,
this usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
I am not sure I understand what that means.
I assume that 39 actor bookings means 1 actor booked for one day?
That would be my guess, given the second sentence above. Though I think
it might mean one episode - I think they do several episodes in a batch
(and I'd guess not necessarily in order).
Post by krw
So 39 actors can be used in a week if they only record on a single day?
Or 10 actors booked for 2 days (so 20 days) and 19 booked for 1 day?
As I understand it Peggy in deference to age records all her scenes on
1 day - but could still appear on all six days?
I know no more than you - I was just relaying what Keri said. You'll
have to take to tweeting!
3

You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
Min
2020-02-29 01:28:21 UTC
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
--
Min
*The nospace problem appears to have vanished like a dutiful bream.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-02-29 04:11:53 UTC
Post by Min
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
Ah! TL may well have been quoting it. Though I think I remember hearing
him say it, and give no credit! (Assuming the song is dated before
that.)

Though now I look at it, I have said "Quoted by", so maybe my memory is
wrong; it often is. (But I'd _usually_ have cited the original if the
speaker did. He might have said "as it says in the song", or similar,
though.)

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.
Nick Odell
2020-02-29 07:37:11 UTC
On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 04:11:53 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Min
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
Ah! TL may well have been quoting it. Though I think I remember hearing
him say it, and give no credit! (Assuming the song is dated before
that.)
Though now I look at it, I have said "Quoted by", so maybe my memory is
wrong; it often is. (But I'd _usually_ have cited the original if the
speaker did. He might have said "as it says in the song", or similar,
though.)
A trawl through Google on (without the quotes) "You can believe it if
it helps you to sleep Tom Lehrer" brings up three results. There may
be more. All of them, celebatheists.com Jewish Telegraphic Agency and
Celebrities in Hell by Warren Allen Smith, courtesy of Google Book
Search, claim either an online interview with Lehrer in June 1996 or
an internet chat room interview in 1997 and all of them claim that he
attributed the lines to James Taylor, Sweet Baby James.

This raises more questions than answers, doesn't it? After all, who
was doing on-line interviews in 1996/7?

2020-02-29 16:12:47 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Min
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
Ah! TL may well have been quoting it. Though I think I remember hearing
him say it, and give no credit! (Assuming the song is dated before
that.)
Though now I look at it, I have said "Quoted by", so maybe my memory is
wrong; it often is. (But I'd _usually_ have cited the original if the
speaker did. He might have said "as it says in the song", or similar,
though.)
I remember where I was when I heard it: stripping parts from one Škoda
Felicia (whose engine had been broken) as spares for the next one.
(_That_ subsequently had to be scrapped [and I couldn't find another] -
if anyone knows someone who can use parts [may fit other cars], they can
have them!) It was in an interview - well, 20-45 minute prog. about him
- on Radio 4.
Post by Nick Odell
A trawl through Google on (without the quotes) "You can believe it if
it helps you to sleep Tom Lehrer" brings up three results. There may
Wow, that's dedicated!
Post by Nick Odell
be more. All of them, celebatheists.com Jewish Telegraphic Agency and
Celebrities in Hell by Warren Allen Smith, courtesy of Google Book
Search, claim either an online interview with Lehrer in June 1996 or
an internet chat room interview in 1997 and all of them claim that he
attributed the lines to James Taylor, Sweet Baby James.
Sounds plausible; the fact that I only give the month and not the day
(that _I_ heard it) suggests I was working from memory, and didn't
remember the source, only who said it then.
Post by Nick Odell
This raises more questions than answers, doesn't it? After all, who
was doing on-line interviews in 1996/7?
The one I heard was just an ordinary R4 prog.; by 2013 it'd probably
been around some time, given what you found.
TL definitely used it as his view on religion; was that the gist of the
original line in the song, or was it talking about something entirely
different there?

"Bother," said Pooh, as he fell off the bridge with his stick.
Min
2020-03-01 02:00:00 UTC
TL definitely used it as his view on religion; was that the gist of the
original line in the song, or was it talking about something entirely
different there?
Not necessarily the same or different - the focus of the song moves from the
singer to the great mass of 'travelling' people...
There's a song that they sing when they take to the highway
A song that they sing when they take to the sea
A song that they sing of their home in the sky
Maybe you can believe it if it helps you to sleep
But singing works just fine for me

"Home in the sky" suggests religion to me...of course, TP & JT may well have
discussed the precise meaning...
Min
Sid Nuncius
2020-02-29 06:22:02 UTC
Post by Min
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
<nostalgic reverie>
And how are driving conditions between Stockbridge and Boston?

When I bought that album I did have ten miles behind me and ten thousand
more to go. It feels the other way round now.
2020-02-29 06:24:29 UTC
Post by Min
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
<nostalgic reverie>
And how are driving conditions between Stockbridge and Boston?
When I bought that album I did have ten miles behind me and ten thousand
more to go.  It feels the other way round now.
Sorry - I also meant to say that Sweet Baby James was James Taylor's
second album. It was definitely not rubbish.
2020-02-29 21:31:53 UTC
On Thursday, 27 February 2020 18:03:14 UTC, J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
<nostalgic reverie>
And how are driving conditions between Stockbridge and Boston?
When I bought that album I did have ten miles behind me and ten
thousand more to go.  It feels the other way round now.
Sorry - I also meant to say that Sweet Baby James was James Taylor's
second album.  It was definitely not rubbish.
<now playing - agree your last>
2020-03-03 19:30:31 UTC
Sorry - I also meant to say that Sweet Baby James was James Taylor's
second album.  It was definitely not rubbish.
<now playing - agree your last>
Apropos not much, I have recently made a few playlists by searching my
digital music collection for songs with certain words in their titles
(and adding a few on the subject which don't actually feature the word).
I began with Midnight for no good reason and have done several more.
It's been fantastically enjoyable, throwing up some expected stuff but
some obscure things too, and you never know what's coming next - Chris
Smither, The Memphis Jug Band, Primal Scream, Crosby & Nash and Thin
Lizzy appeared one after another this evening in a Jail/Prison
playlist[1] I'm currently working on, for example. <beam>

Er...no one really wanted to know that, did they?

[1]My word, a *lot* of people have recorded He's In The Jailhouse Now!
2020-03-03 21:01:14 UTC
Apropos not much, I have recently made a few playlists by searching my
digital music collection for songs with certain words in their titles
(and adding a few on the subject which don't actually feature the word).
 I began with Midnight for no good reason and have done several more.
It's been fantastically enjoyable, throwing up some expected stuff but
some obscure things too, and you never know what's coming next - Chris
Smither,
Acker Bilk should be in there somewhere.
2020-03-04 06:36:11 UTC
Apropos not much, I have recently made a few playlists by searching my
digital music collection for songs with certain words in their titles
(and adding a few on the subject which don't actually feature the
word).   I began with Midnight for no good reason and have done
several more. It's been fantastically enjoyable, throwing up some
expected stuff but some obscure things too, and you never know what's
coming next - Chris Smither,
Acker Bilk should be in there somewhere.
Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen are in there with Midnight In Moscow. Mr
Acker Bilk And His Paramount Jazzmen put in an appearance with Berliner
Luft in an embryonic playlist of songs with non-US cities[1] in their
titles. (Kenny Ball is in that one, too, of course).

Is there an Acker Bilk midnight track I've missed?

[1]I'll do a US Cities one at some point, but a playlist including both
would be too big and unwieldy, I think.
2020-03-04 14:07:22 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 06:36:11, Sid Nuncius
<***@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen are in there with Midnight In Moscow. Mr
Acker Bilk And His Paramount Jazzmen put in an appearance with Berliner
Luft in an embryonic playlist of songs with non-US cities[1] in their
titles. (Kenny Ball is in that one, too, of course).
Is there an Acker Bilk midnight track I've missed?
[1]I'll do a US Cities one at some point, but a playlist including both
would be too big and unwieldy, I think.
I belong to Glasgow; London Pride; There'll be bluebirds over;
Westminster Cathedral ...
I guess limiting to cities excludes Tipperary (county) and Blaydon (not
a city). And Pirates of Penzance (I presume that's a city) isn't a song.
There _must_ be songs that mention Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol, Norwich,
Canterbury ...

Listen, three-eyes, don't you try to out-wierd me, I get stranger things than
you free with my breakfast cereal. (Zaphod Beeblebrox in the link episode)
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-04 14:25:11 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 06:36:11, Sid Nuncius
[]
Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen are in there with Midnight In Moscow.  Mr
Acker Bilk And His Paramount Jazzmen put in an appearance with
Berliner Luft in an embryonic playlist of songs with non-US cities[1]
in their titles. (Kenny Ball is in that one, too, of course).
Is there an Acker Bilk midnight track I've missed?
[1]I'll do a US Cities one at some point, but a playlist including
both would be too big and unwieldy, I think.
I belong to Glasgow; London Pride; There'll be bluebirds over;
Westminster Cathedral ...
I guess limiting to cities excludes Tipperary (county) and Blaydon (not
a city). And Pirates of Penzance (I presume that's a city) isn't a song.
There _must_ be songs that mention Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol, Norwich,
Canterbury ...
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.

[1] No 1, in the US charts but merely no. 4 in the UK.
All people smile in the same language.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-04 14:33:59 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 14:25:11, Serena Blanchflower
[...]
Oops, I think you're right. Though that should still count for Sid's
list - I think Winchester _is_ a city. (Contrary to popular belief, the
possession of a cathedral does _not_ of itself a city make: for most of
the time I lived near it, Chelmsford wasn't a city [it is now], though
had a cathedral [presumably still has]. [I popped in once: perfectly
nice Victorian-style church; nothing special, and not particularly big -
certainly I know at least one only-a-church that's bigger.])

Sid Nuncius
2020-03-04 14:36:53 UTC
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
A-bodio-doh...

That's in there, of course. I'm still at the construction stage, but
I'm struggling to find many songs about British cities other than
London. I have a few and I'm still looking. Plenty about other cities
- inundated with Paris songs, and Stockholm is surprisingly well served.
I tracked down One Night In Bangkok (Murray Head) yesterday...
2020-03-04 14:56:13 UTC
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
A-bodio-doh...
That's in there, of course.  I'm still at the construction stage, but
I'm struggling to find many songs about British cities other than
London.  I have a few and I'm still looking.  Plenty about other cities
- inundated with Paris songs, and Stockholm is surprisingly well served.
 I tracked down One Night In Bangkok (Murray Head) yesterday...
Have you got The Leaving of Liverpool on your list:

I think there are a few other songs featuring Liverpool but most of them
seem to be more football chants, which may not have enough music to count.
England has no kidney bank, but it does have a Liverpool.
Phil
2020-03-04 17:46:00 UTC
I think there are a few other songs featuring Liverpool but most of them
seem to be more football chants, which may not have enough music to count.
In My Liverpool Home springs to mind.

Or a personal favourite of mine, Heart As Big As Liverpool by The Mighty
Wah!
--
Phil
Guess where, UK
Phil
2020-03-04 17:48:54 UTC
Post by Phil
In My Liverpool Home springs to mind.
Or a personal favourite of mine, Heart As Big As Liverpool by The Mighty
Wah!
And I can't believe I forgot Going Down To Liverpool by the Bangles.
--
Phil
Liverpool, UK
Phil
2020-03-04 17:52:03 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Phil
In My Liverpool Home springs to mind.
Or a personal favourite of mine, Heart As Big As Liverpool by The
Mighty Wah!
And I can't believe I forgot Going Down To Liverpool by the Bangles.
On the other hand, I'm pleased I forgot Little Jimmy Osmond.

Let's add In Liverpool by Suzanne Vega.
--
Phil
Liverpool, UK
Sid Nuncius
2020-03-04 19:14:04 UTC
Post by Phil
Post by Phil
Post by Phil
In My Liverpool Home springs to mind.
Or a personal favourite of mine, Heart As Big As Liverpool by The
Mighty Wah!
And I can't believe I forgot Going Down To Liverpool by the Bangles.
On the other hand, I'm pleased I forgot Little Jimmy Osmond.
Let's add In Liverpool by Suzanne Vega.
I should have said that Liverpool is quite well served. In addition to
the above (but *not* Little Jimmy Osmond):

Going Down To Liverpool - versions by both The Bangles and Katrina & The
Waves
Liverpool Drive - Chuck Berry
The Leaving Of Liverpool - The Pogues (nod to Serena)
100 Miles To Liverpool - Lindisfarne
Liverpool Judies - Maddy Prior & The Girls
Liverpool Lullaby - Ian Campbell Folk Group

Not all of these may make the final list. My technique is to include
virtually everything I can find or can think of (but *not* Little Jimmy
Osmond) and then transfer it to my mp3 player. I then listen to the
lot, deciding which to keep and which to discard as I go and ending up
with a playlist of music I want to hear again. As previously stated,
I'm enjoying it immensely[1]; it's throwing out some great stuff and
even hearing things I don't like is interesting - and I don't have to
listen to all of it if I don't want to.

It's not always easy, btw. I can't decide whether Durham Town by Roger
Whittaker is enjoyably nostalgic or insufferably sentimental rubbish,
for example. No-one knows the stress I suffer... :o)

[1]But *not* Little Jimmy Osmond.
2020-03-04 20:06:27 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 19:14:04 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Phil
Post by Phil
Post by Phil
[...]
Yebbut, Whittaker's geographical inexactitude in that song is on a par
with Neil Young's rewriting of pop history history in Out of the Blue.

When you have time for another list, how about pop travesties? You
could do worse than starting with Kilimanjaro rising like Olympus
above the Serengeti...
Post by Sid Nuncius
[1]But *not* Little Jimmy Osmond.
'Twas the first one I thought of (sorry!)

2020-03-05 06:43:31 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
It's not always easy, btw. I can't decide whether Durham Town by Roger
Whittaker is enjoyably nostalgic or insufferably sentimental rubbish,
for example. No-one knows the stress I suffer... :o)
Yebbut, Whittaker's geographical inexactitude in that song is on a par
with Neil Young's rewriting of pop history history in Out of the Blue.
When you have time for another list, how about pop travesties? You
could do worse than starting with Kilimanjaro rising like Olympus
above the Serengeti...
<wince>...and :o)

Yes, and they add to it with the dreadful scansion -"SerengeTEE".
Frightful song. That would be an entertaining list to compile, but I'm
not sure I could live with the consequences.[1]

I have been keeping a list of songs which refer to other performers or
songs as I think of them or come across them, which is slightly sad
behaviour, but also entertaining[2]. Up to about 75 now, I think.

[1]Oh, nugger - you've got me started now. McCartney's Live and Let
Die: "In this world in which we live in..."

[2]FSVO "entertaining".
2020-03-06 09:37:40 UTC
On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 06:43:31 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
I'll see your Paul McCartney and raise you my Mike Oldfield -

"4am in the morning." Really? Reilly?

2020-03-08 19:35:32 UTC
On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 06:43:31 +0000, Sid Nuncius
When you have time for another list, how about pop travesties? You
could do worse than starting with Kilimanjaro rising like Olympus
above the Serengeti...
[1]Oh, nugger - you've got me started now. McCartney's Live and Let
Die: "In this world in which we live in..."
I'll see your Paul McCartney and raise you my Mike Oldfield -
"4am in the morning." Really? Reilly?
Little Rachel by Eric Clapton:
"You don't need no high HQ
To get right down and sing the blues..."

)Actually, I rather like that HQ instead of IQ, but I don't know why.)
2020-03-04 18:28:53 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 14:36:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
A-bodio-doh...
That's in there, of course. I'm still at the construction stage, but
I'm struggling to find many songs about British cities other than
London. I have a few and I'm still looking. Plenty about other cities
- inundated with Paris songs, and Stockholm is surprisingly well served.
I tracked down One Night In Bangkok (Murray Head) yesterday...
Max Boyce Pontypool front row
Ode to Barry Island

When we walked to Merthyr Tydfill
Swansea Town
Dirty Old Town (Salford
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-04 20:49:03 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 14:36:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
A-bodio-doh...
That's in there, of course. I'm still at the construction stage, but
I'm struggling to find many songs about British cities other than
Max Boyce Pontypool front row
Ode to Barry Island
When we walked to Merthyr Tydfill
Do towns count? None of those are cities.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Swansea Town
Dirty Old Town (Salford
Whilst, despite the titles, these are.
2020-03-04 21:08:09 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 14:36:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius
What about songs with puns in the title ?
e.g. Didn't we have a wonderful time the day we went to bang 'er...
Penny
2020-03-04 19:07:46 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 14:36:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
A-bodio-doh...
That's in there, of course. I'm still at the construction stage, but
I'm struggling to find many songs about British cities other than
London. I have a few and I'm still looking. Plenty about other cities
- inundated with Paris songs, and Stockholm is surprisingly well served.
I tracked down One Night In Bangkok (Murray Head) yesterday...
Does Galway count? It is a city, though whether Show of Hands' Galway
Farmer lived in the city is debatable. While we're in Ireland, Dublin
certainly has a song or three.
At the risk of planting an earworm - Bangor (the Welsh one) where we had a
wonderful time.
I know there are songs featuring Birmingham but not sure they mean the
English one.
Derby Ram, Coventry Carol (which is probably the name of the tune and
doesn't mention Coventry).
I found Durham in a list of cities but the song is Durham Town.
Bristol is a song I don't know but it does exist and The Dubliners sang
about a Smith of Bristol.
Bonnie Dundee.
There are a few which mention Sheffield in fact Billy Bragg's 'Northern
Industrial Town' has the line 'It's not Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield
nor Glasgow it's not Newcastle on Tyne, , it's Belfast.

Mostly folky stuff which is no great surprise.
2020-03-04 21:06:21 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 14:36:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
A-bodio-doh...
That's in there, of course. I'm still at the construction stage, but
I'm struggling to find many songs about British cities other than
London. I have a few and I'm still looking. Plenty about other cities
- inundated with Paris songs, and Stockholm is surprisingly well served.
I tracked down One Night In Bangkok (Murray Head) yesterday...
Does Galway count? It is a city, though whether Show of Hands' Galway
Farmer lived in the city is debatable. While we're in Ireland, Dublin
certainly has a song or three.
At the risk of planting an earworm - Bangor (the Welsh one) where we had a
wonderful time.
Too late, earworm embedded! (Hmm: according to the notes to
I was there when they were!
Didn't realise they were partly from UKC.)
Post by Vicky Ayech
I know there are songs featuring Birmingham but not sure they mean the
English one.
Derby Ram, Coventry Carol (which is probably the name of the tune and
doesn't mention Coventry).
(I think you're right.)
Post by Vicky Ayech
I found Durham in a list of cities but the song is Durham Town.
Bristol is a song I don't know but it does exist and The Dubliners sang
about a Smith of Bristol.
Bonnie Dundee.
There are a few which mention Sheffield in fact Billy Bragg's 'Northern
Industrial Town' has the line 'It's not Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield
nor Glasgow it's not Newcastle on Tyne, , it's Belfast.
Mostly folky stuff which is no great surprise.
I thought Sid had said with city _in title_, but the bit of Sid you've
quoted above just says "about", which broadens the field considerably.

(Isn't Harlech an area rather than a city?)

The motto of the Royal Society is: 'Take nobody's word for it'. Scepticism has
value. - Brian Cox, RT 2015/3/14-20
Sid Nuncius
2020-03-05 06:47:38 UTC
I thought Sid had said with city _in title_, but the bit of Sid you've
quoted above just says "about", which broadens the field considerably.
I did say that and the bit quoted wasn't from me. Songs which refer to
cities in their lyrics would be a separate category which umrats are, of
course, welcome to pursue.
Joe Kerr
2020-03-05 15:12:20 UTC
I thought Sid had said with city _in title_, but the bit of Sid you've
quoted above just says "about", which broadens the field considerably.
I did say that and the bit quoted wasn't from me.  Songs which refer to
cities in their lyrics would be a separate category which umrats are, of
course, welcome to pursue.
Is there a restriction on real, terrestrial none American cities or does
Crash Dive on Mingo City (from Flash Gordon by Queen) qualify.
Ric
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-03-05 16:59:45 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I thought Sid had said with city _in title_, but the bit of Sid you've
quoted above just says "about", which broadens the field considerably.
I did say that and the bit quoted wasn't from me.  Songs which refer to
cities in their lyrics would be a separate category which umrats are,
of course, welcome to pursue.
Is there a restriction on real, terrestrial none American cities or does
Crash Dive on Mingo City (from Flash Gordon by Queen) qualify.
If it's not restricted to the title then I nominate Abba's Supertrouper
for Glasgow.

If districts and suburbs count then I nominate:

Last Train To Clarkston, by The Monkees
No Partickular Place To Go, by Chuck Berry
The Yoker, by the Steve Miller Band
Bridgeton Over Troubled Water, by Simon and Garfunkel
Cardonald Where's Yer Troosers, by Andy Stewart

Anne B
2020-03-12 18:42:56 UTC
I thought Sid had said with city _in title_, but the bit of Sid you've
quoted above just says "about", which broadens the field considerably.
I did say that and the bit quoted wasn't from me.  Songs which refer to
cities in their lyrics would be a separate category which umrats are, of
course, welcome to pursue.
I belong to Glasgow
The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen

Anne B

Penny
2020-03-05 10:36:08 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 21:06:21 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
At the risk of planting an earworm - Bangor (the Welsh one) where we had a
wonderful time.
Too late, earworm embedded! (Hmm: according to the notes to
http://youtu.be/wfwQi8L9h8M I was there when they were!
Didn't realise they were partly from UKC.)
My Sister-in-law knew Debbie Cook - whether they were at Cardiff Uni
together or met later in Kent I'm not sure. Debbie Cook has written for TA,
'stenders and possibly Emmerdale
2020-03-05 11:45:13 UTC
(Isn't Harlech an area rather than a city?)
A town. With a fine castle. And men.
2020-03-05 12:07:39 UTC
Steady on Kate, this is a family newsgroup you know ;)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-05 13:22:19 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Isn't Harlech an area rather than a city?)
A town. With a fine castle. And men.
Steady on Kate, this is a family newsgroup you know ;)
I'm sure she was referring to the fine tune! Which, of course, has had
many alternative words written: for some decades I've been looking for
the bit in one of Lucy I's programmes that used it to list the
alternative words for the loo (or act of using it). [I recently was
delighted to find someone had YouTubed the prog - it was called "Forty
Minutes: on the throne" (part of a series called forty minutes), but
disappointed to find it had bits missing, including in particular that
bit.]

"quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur". ("Anything is more impressive if
you say it in Latin")
Paul Herber
2020-03-05 14:03:43 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Isn't Harlech an area rather than a city?)
A town. With a fine castle. And men.
Lizbuff? Is that you?
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Sid Nuncius
2020-03-05 18:46:36 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Isn't Harlech an area rather than a city?)
A town. With a fine castle. And men.
Lizbuff? Is that you?
:o)))
2020-03-09 19:16:26 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(Isn't Harlech an area rather than a city?)
A town. With a fine castle. And men.
Lizbuff? Is that you?
ROTFL, we’ve had our choccie ration for today and yesterday.

2020-03-04 21:22:50 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 14:36:53 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
A-bodio-doh...
That's in there, of course. I'm still at the construction stage, but
I'm struggling to find many songs about British cities other than
London. I have a few and I'm still looking.
Men of Harlech
Bonnie Dundee
The Keelrow (as I came though Sandgate)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-05 00:34:28 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 21:22:50, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
Men of Harlech
Bonnie Dundee
The Keelrow (as I came though Sandgate)
Which, of course, refers to somewhere in Geordieland, not the one in
Kent.

"I hate the guys that criticize the enterprise of other guys whose enterprise
has made them rise above the guys who criticize!" (W9BRD, former editor of
"How's DX?" column in "QST")
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-03-05 00:10:14 UTC
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
A-bodio-doh...
That's in there, of course. I'm still at the construction stage, but
I'm struggling to find many songs about British cities other than
London. I have a few and I'm still looking. Plenty about other cities
- inundated with Paris songs, and Stockholm is surprisingly well served.
I tracked down One Night In Bangkok (Murray Head) yesterday...
Long Haired Lover From Liverpool (A British number 1. I very much regret
to say). Non-hits include The Leaving of Liverpool, In My Liverpool Home,
Liverpool Lou and many others.

Birmingham Blues – ELO

An old rock'n'roller called The Bristol Stomp (but it's a different
Bristol).

2020-03-05 06:55:10 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Long Haired Lover From Liverpool (A British number 1. I very much regret
to say). Non-hits include The Leaving of Liverpool, In My Liverpool Home,
Liverpool Lou and many others.
Birmingham Blues – ELO
An old rock'n'roller called The Bristol Stomp (but it's a different
Bristol).
Indeed. I am sorely tempted to include Boulder To Birmingham[1] because
I love it, but I am currently resisting because it's Birmingham,
Alabama, of course - as is Birmingham Sunday.

for anyrats interested.
2020-03-04 15:45:04 UTC
I believe Winchester Cathedral is the only cathedral to have had a
successful[1] pop song written about / to it.
Aaaaaggggghhhh! That song was all the rage when I was pregnant with my
first and was VERY sick for almost the entire 9 months. The very
mention of it brings back ghastly memories.
Wrexham, UK
steve hague
2020-03-04 14:47:41 UTC
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 06:36:11, Sid Nuncius
[]
Kenny Ball And His Jazzmen are in there with Midnight In Moscow.  Mr
Acker Bilk And His Paramount Jazzmen put in an appearance with
Berliner Luft in an embryonic playlist of songs with non-US cities[1]
in their titles. (Kenny Ball is in that one, too, of course).
Is there an Acker Bilk midnight track I've missed?
[1]I'll do a US Cities one at some point, but a playlist including
both would be too big and unwieldy, I think.
I belong to Glasgow; London Pride; There'll be bluebirds over;
Westminster Cathedral ...
I guess limiting to cities excludes Tipperary (county) and Blaydon (not
a city). And Pirates of Penzance (I presume that's a city) isn't a song.
There _must_ be songs that mention Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol, Norwich,
Canterbury ...
Penzance is a town. If it had a cathedral built at the appropriate time
it would be a city, but if it was within 100 miles of London and without
said cathedral, it would most likely be known as a village. There was a
song I remember from my folk club days, possibly written by Dave
Burland, which had the lines "From Hull and Halifax and Hell, good Lord
deliver us."
2020-03-04 14:59:00 UTC
Post by steve hague
There was a
song I remember from my folk club days, possibly written by Dave
Burland, which had the lines "From Hull and Halifax and Hell, good Lord
deliver us."
Oh, yes! A Dalesman's Litany was the title I remember and the version I
knew was "...good Lord, deliver me."

(A quick look shows several versions on YouTube. Tim Hart and Maddy
Prior here:
)
2020-03-04 16:33:05 UTC
There was a song I remember from my folk club days, possibly written
by Dave Burland, which had the lines "From Hull and Halifax and Hell,
good Lord deliver us."
Oh, yes!  A Dalesman's Litany was the title I remember and the version I
knew was "...good Lord, deliver me."
(A quick look shows several versions on YouTube.  Tim Hart and Maddy
http://youtu.be/pT3A-MazRqY )
Supposedly the original was "From Hull, Elland, Halifax, good Lord
deliver us."

2020-03-04 18:33:21 UTC
Men of Harlech
John Ashby
2020-03-04 19:56:20 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 at 06:36:11, Sid Nuncius
[]
Winchester Cathedral?
Men of Harlech
I've got to leave old Durham Town (or does that last word rule it out?)
The Song of the Nuns of Chester
Virtute et industrial (if songs about cities are allowed)

2020-03-04 20:42:24 UTC
Is there an Acker Bilk midnight track I've missed?
No, just the output of faltering brain cells.
Paul Herber
2020-02-29 10:54:48 UTC
Post by Min
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
That's my solution for getting to sleep, I play a certain tune in my head, note for note.
Never fails to work. It's a 10 minute tune, I rarely get to the end and have to go through
it again. I just wish I could play it for real as well as I can in my head.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Mike
2020-02-29 10:58:33 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Min
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
You can believe it if it helps you to sleep. - Quoted by Tom Lehrer (on
religion, in passing), April 2013.
An avid Karaoke fan writes* - also said in James Taylor's 'Sweet Baby
James' - "You can believe it, If it helps you to sleep, But singing
works just fine for me..."
That's my solution for getting to sleep, I play a certain tune in my head, note for note.
Never fails to work. It's a 10 minute tune, I rarely get to the end and have to go through
it again. I just wish I could play it for real as well as I can in my head.
On the Piano not being your Forte, I suppose?
2020-02-27 18:01:13 UTC
On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 16:45:41 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
It has been pointed out on fb that Jenny didn't appear at the event
yesterday. Even if theycouldn't afford her to speak surely she should
have been mentioned?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-02-27 18:52:22 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
It has been pointed out on fb that Jenny didn't appear at the event
yesterday. Even if theycouldn't afford her to speak surely she should
have been mentioned?
Good point. If a character _mentions_ another, or at a pinch talks to
him/her on the 'phone provided it's Bob Newhart style, I _presume_ they
don't have to be paid - though it would be rather nice in some ways to
discover that there's some arcane clause that says they do!

Wisdom is the ability to cope. - the late (AB of C) Michael Ramsey,
quoted by Stephen Fry (RT 24-30 August 2013)
Jim Easterbrook
2020-02-27 18:56:37 UTC
Good point. If a character _mentions_ another, or at a pinch talks to
him/her on the 'phone provided it's Bob Newhart style, I _presume_ they
don't have to be paid - though it would be rather nice in some ways to
discover that there's some arcane clause that says they do!
There's only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's not
being talked about.
2020-02-27 19:04:59 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
It has been pointed out on fb that Jenny didn't appear at the event
yesterday. Even if theycouldn't afford her to speak surely she should
have been mentioned?
We know that Alice was there, we heard people talking to her twice, but
we never heard her voice. The same could easily have been true of Jenny.
2020-02-27 21:24:03 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
It has been pointed out on fb that Jenny didn't appear at the event
yesterday. Even if theycouldn't afford her to speak surely she should
have been mentioned?
We know that Alice was there, we heard people talking to her twice, but
we never heard her voice. The same could easily have been true of Jenny.
And it was a shame they teased but couldn't afford Tamsin Greig.

2020-02-28 08:29:19 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
It has been pointed out on fb that Jenny didn't appear at the event
yesterday. Even if theycouldn't afford her to speak surely she should
have been mentioned?
We know that Alice was there, we heard people talking to her twice, but
we never heard her voice. The same could easily have been true of Jenny.
And it was a shame they teased but couldn't afford Tamsin Greig.
john
‘Video killed the radio star’.
2020-02-28 19:10:55 UTC
And it was a shame they teased but couldn't afford Tamsin Greig.
‘Video killed the radio star’.
I blame VTR.
2020-02-28 10:28:21 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
It has been pointed out on fb that Jenny didn't appear at the event
yesterday. Even if theycouldn't afford her to speak surely she should
have been mentioned?
You’d have thought effer would’ve been mentioned wouldn’t you. Bad
scripting. From Brine certainly.

2020-02-28 12:09:08 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Do you really have a weekly allowance?
Goodness, yes. 39 actor bookings across the six episodes.
As some characters inevitably appear more than once in the week, this
usually means 25-28 individual characters appearing in the week.
It has been pointed out on fb that Jenny didn't appear at the event
yesterday. Even if theycouldn't afford her to speak surely she should
have been mentioned?
You’d have thought effer would’ve been mentioned wouldn’t you. Bad
scripting. From Brine certainly.
Sincerely Chris
Perhaps Effer was ‘left holding the baby’ - I don’t think we heard from
Xzercon.
2020-02-27 23:14:31 UTC
On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 16:45:41 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
weekly allowance (from Twitter)
Jumping straight to conclusions from the title alone, I presumed you
were going to tell us that the internet's most prolific tweeters are
now going to be limited to ten posts a day or thereabouts.

Oh well...[1]

Nick
[1]Da-da-da da-da-dum da-da-da dum-dum-dum.
Da-da-da da-da-dum da-da-da da...