OT couple of peeves
2020-03-11 11:51:44 UTC
My household insurance was due for renewal this month and I got a
booklet from Legal and General with details of the cover I had and
that it went up from around £150 to £200. The cover details were in
the booklet but the letter saying the increase and that they would
debit me unless I rang them to cancel was a page stapled into the
booklet! It was not the centre one or outside one. It was not clear
and easily spotted.

I have been with L&G since about 1971 and they were always good. I
checked most years and they were also cheap. Last year they were not
but the online offer if I cancelled and did it there was ok! I took
that. But this year the inertia selling that I almost didn't notice
was bad. I didn't ring as was very annoyed. I found an email address
and while online a popup asked to help so I had a little rant and she
said ok I can cancel for you and she did. But no apology! Am I wrong?
it was bad?

Then Tesco's deliveries. They have not used bags for a while now. It
comes an crates and they carry those to the kitchen and we have to
scramble to unpack them. Normally there is a printout with details of
what I got and cost and if anything was not available the driver tells
me. As we unpack I try and note too short sell-by dates. If I do he
takes them back and I get a refund. If I don't notice until later I
email a complaint and get a refund. Also some things were defrosted
and I got a refund.

Yesterday there was no printout and about £12 worth of things were not
delivered when I checked. No word from the driver and my email states
they were ordered and my account online shows they were in the order.
I emailed last night but not even an acknowledgement of the email yet!
I am getting grumpy and about to tweet. That does get a fast response.
I already had tweeted with them this week as the vouchers I had didn't
work and they sorted that. They are apparently having website
problems.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-11 14:55:25 UTC
[...]
Have you tried phoning them? IME, they're very good about sorting
anything like that out, and it's a freephone number, so it isn't expensive.
The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising
every time you fall. (Nelson Mandela)
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-11 17:36:13 UTC
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 14:55:25 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Yesterday there was no printout and about £12 worth of things were not
delivered when I checked. No word from the driver and my email states
they were ordered and my account online shows they were in the order.
I emailed last night but not even an acknowledgement of the email yet!
I am getting grumpy and about to tweet. That does get a fast response.
I already had tweeted with them this week as the vouchers I had didn't
work and they sorted that. They are apparently having website
problems.
Have you tried phoning them? IME, they're very good about sorting
anything like that out, and it's a freephone number, so it isn't expensive.
I tweeted :). They responded and emailed me a delivery note, whichhad
not come last night. Usually is handed to me by the driver. That said
those items were not available and not charged for. I have now asked
whether normally I will still get a delivery note. Waiting for
response tweet.
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-11 18:59:25 UTC
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 17:36:13 +0000, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
The tweeter keeps not getting my point
Hey Vicky, Sorry about this. I've checked and these items were
unavailable and not subbed so you haven't been charged. I've sent your
delivery notes to you so you can see this too. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Clarke
2:15 PM
oh I see.Thank you./ The delivery note shows it.Should I have had one?
Will I get them in future?
4:55 PM
Hi Vicky, at the top of the delivery notes, it states 'Products not
available' and these items were included in this. Thanks, Clarke
5:01 PM
Yes but there was no delivery note last night.Will there usually still
be?
5:19 PM
Hey Vicky, usually these would be highlighted, yes. I've just sent the
delivery note to your emails so you can have a look at that :) Thanks
- Dillon
5:56 PM
Yes thank you I got your email. I know what they usually look like. I
just want to know that they will normally still come. As I didn't get
one yesterday.
6:58 PM
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-11 23:54:04 UTC
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 17:36:13 +0000, Vicky Ayech
I tweeted :). They responded and emailed me a delivery note, whichhad
not come last night. Usually is handed to me by the driver. That said
those items were not available and not charged for. I have now asked
whether normally I will still get a delivery note. Waiting for
response tweet.
The tweeter keeps not getting my point
Hey Vicky, Sorry about this. I've checked and these items were
unavailable and not subbed so you haven't been charged. I've sent your
delivery notes to you so you can see this too. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Clarke
2:15 PM
oh I see.Thank you./ The delivery note shows it.Should I have had one?
...................................................................^^^
Post by Vicky Ayech
Will I get them in future?
4:55 PM
Hi Vicky, at the top of the delivery notes, it states 'Products not
available' and these items were included in this. Thanks, Clarke
5:01 PM
Yes but there was no delivery note last night.Will there usually still
be?
5:19 PM
Hey Vicky, usually these would be highlighted, yes. I've just sent the
delivery note to your emails so you can have a look at that :) Thanks
- Dillon
5:56 PM
Yes thank you I got your email. I know what they usually look like. I
just want to know that they will normally still come. As I didn't get
.........................^^^^
Post by Vicky Ayech
one yesterday.
6:58 PM
I think "Clarke/Dillon" thought you were talking about some _item_,
rather than the delivery note (especially as your _first_ communication
_had_ been about things that hadn't been delivered). Yes, it's _fairly_
clear to us, but the change of {what you were saying was missing},
during the conversation (especially as it seems to have changed person),
has got lost.

If they continue to get the wrong end of the stick, explicitly say
"delivery note(s)" rather than "one", "they" and similar. _You_ are
_not_ at fault - but I can see why they are confused, even though they
shouldn't have been if they'd read more carefully, and it's often easier
to (re-)clarify.

I will admit _I_ have more than once continued such a conversation when
I know what mistake the other party has made, because "I'm damned if I'm
going to fix _their_ error", but sometimes that helps no-one.

"...told me to connect with the electorate, and I did!" John Prescott on
having punched the man who threw an egg at him (Top Gear, 2011-2-28)
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-12 08:53:44 UTC
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 23:54:04 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I got a reply in the end saying I should get a delivery note with the
delivery and if not to let them know and they would email one.
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-12 21:13:19 UTC
I got a reply in the end saying I should get a delivery note with the
delivery and if not to let them know and they would email one.
Nice of them, but of course that will not help you at all when the
delivery is on the doorstep.
2020-03-12 00:07:21 UTC
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 14:55:25, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Vicky Ayech
My household insurance was due for renewal this month and I got a
booklet from Legal and General with details of the cover I had and
that it went up from around £150 to £200. The cover details were in
the booklet but the letter saying the increase and that they would
debit me unless I rang them to cancel was a page stapled into the
booklet! It was not the centre one or outside one. It was not clear
and easily spotted.
I have been with L&G since about 1971 and they were always good. I
checked most years and they were also cheap. Last year they were not
but the online offer if I cancelled and did it there was ok! I took
that. But this year the inertia selling that I almost didn't notice
I've had similar for boiler service contract: Scottish Power, was 157.50
last year, 234 this year. Not quite as bad as yours (a hidden note
stapled), but a letter about a month or more ahead, saying "Relax,
you're in good hands" - in fact I don't think the word "renewal" appears
anywhere on it. Yes, they'll claim last year's was an "introductory
discount", but that's likely to be rubbish.
Post by Vicky Ayech
was bad. I didn't ring as was very annoyed. I found an email address
and while online a popup asked to help so I had a little rant and she
said ok I can cancel for you and she did. But no apology! Am I wrong?
it was bad?
No, you're not wrong. But - assuming you actually _want_ household
insurance - don't _forget_ to renew - with someone else. (Or, see if
they'll take you again as a new customer [but don't legally lie - just
don't _volunteer_ information].)
Post by Vicky Ayech
Then Tesco's deliveries. They have not used bags for a while now. It
[]
See other email.

A good pun is its own reword.
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-12 08:57:04 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Then Tesco's deliveries. They have not used bags for a while now. It
[]
See other email.
L&G sent an email apologising. They also said feedback feeds into
improving service.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-12 16:11:59 UTC
On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 at 08:57:04, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
L&G sent an email apologising. They also said feedback feeds into
improving service.
Companies often _say_ that. I'm usually dubious (having seen little
evidence of it actually being the case).

"I'm a paranoid agnostic. I doubt the existence of God, but I'm sure there is
some force, somewhere, working against me." - Marc Maron
Mike
2020-03-12 16:33:20 UTC
L&G sent an email apologising. They also said feedback feeds into
improving service.
Companies often _say_ that. I'm usually dubious (having seen little
evidence of it actually being the case).
What is said: ‘Thank you for contacting us, we appreciate your feedback and
will use this to improve our service in future.’

What is actually meant: ‘You are a moaning Minnie, go away and leave us in
peace.’
2020-03-12 17:30:34 UTC
L&G sent an email apologising. They also said feedback feeds into
improving service.
Companies often _say_ that. I'm usually dubious (having seen little
evidence of it actually being the case).
What is said: ‘Thank you for contacting us, we appreciate your feedback and
will use this to improve our service in future.’
What is actually meant: ‘You are a moaning Minnie, go away and leave us in
peace.’
Indeed. If you can be bothered to keep it up, you eventually get "here's
xx - now _please_ go away". They don't actually add the last part, but
the implication is not hard to detect (along with "and we're still not
actually going to change anything"). I've had xx be from 5 to, I think,
as much as 50.

'It works for me' is not the same as it isn't broke - Kenn Villegas, 2010-2-19
in
https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/why-the-windows-registry-sucks-
technically/
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-12 21:15:52 UTC
L&G sent an email apologising. They also said feedback feeds into
improving service.
Companies often _say_ that. I'm usually dubious (having seen little
evidence of it actually being the case).
What is said: ‘Thank you for contacting us, we appreciate your feedback and
will use this to improve our service in future.’
What is actually meant: ‘You are a moaning Minnie, go away and leave us in
peace.’
"Here is our standard bit of boilerplate that we use with a disgruntled
customer."
2020-03-12 21:26:58 UTC
[...]
Heavens! Either you are far more fussy than I am or you have far more
patience, Vicky!

I do my internet food shopping almost exclusively with Asda and I don't
think I have ever had any problem worth complaining to them about, just
maybe a couple of very minor grumbles I kept to myself. I can't
remember ever actually refusing anything they've sent, whether or not a
replacement for what I ordered. Occasionally a replacement - and
replacements aren't all that common - might not be what I might have
chosen myself, but the whole point of internet shopping is that someone
else does the choosing for me. As for sell by/use by dates, the e-mail
I get tells me if they've had to choose something with a short date but
as I don't give a toss for those dates I ignore it.

Asda no longer give me a paper delivery note, which is fine by me as it
always irritated me to be given 2 or 3 sheets of paper which would go
straight into the recycling bag. (I already have a big enough store of
scrap paper to last me the rest of my life.)
Wrexham, UK
Kate B
2020-03-12 23:38:15 UTC
[...]
Well, don't laugh (other households in my family are all scoffing
scornfully) but I am expecting my very first delivery from Tesco
tomorrow afternoon. I just hope it's all there and that I can find
somehere to put it all - there's always a bit of a panic at Christmas
and this is for a week, so longer. I also hope that I have remembered
all the things and that they have actually put them all in.

Meanwhile, my local Facebook and NextDoor groups are burgeoning with
offers of help with shopping from those still young and fit (and who
have negative tests, in some cases), which gladdens the heart.
2020-03-13 09:04:18 UTC
Post by Kate B
Meanwhile, my local Facebook and NextDoor groups are burgeoning with
offers of help with shopping from those still young and fit (and who
have negative tests, in some cases), which gladdens the heart.
That is really nice. I wonder if they willtest care workers who go to
old people so they are safe. But I thought I read that you can have
anegative test and be infectious the next day and ill.