OT: showing off my latest creation
2018-11-29 15:52:12 UTC
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)

The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
2018-11-29 16:00:41 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
And so you should! Lovely paint job. Does the model actually run?

[Apologies for the signature run-on in other posts - I didn't know it
was going to do that.]

Have you ever disagreed with a petition, but been frustrated that there's no
way you can *show* that you disagree? If so, visit 255soft.uk - and please
pass it on, especially to twitter, facebook, gransnet/mumsnet, or any such.

The first banjo solo I played was actually just a series of mistakes. In fact
it was all the mistakes I knew at the time. - Tim Dowling, RT2015/6/20-26
krw
2018-11-29 16:07:12 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
And so you should! Lovely paint job. Does the model actually run?
Lovely job full stop. Well done.
2018-11-29 16:10:31 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
And so you should! Lovely paint job. Does the model actually run?
Of course it runs! Wouldn't be much point if it didn't. I haven't steamed
it yet, but here's an earlier test (before I put it on a nice baseboard)
running on compressed air. https://flic.kr/p/NzJQa4
2018-11-30 01:18:35 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
And so you should! Lovely paint job. Does the model actually run?
Of course it runs! Wouldn't be much point if it didn't. I haven't steamed
it yet, but here's an earlier test (before I put it on a nice baseboard)
running on compressed air. https://flic.kr/p/NzJQa4
Most satisfying.

Have you ever disagreed with a petition, but been frustrated that there's no
way you can *show* that you disagree? If so, visit 255soft.uk - and please
pass it on, especially to twitter, facebook, gransnet/mumsnet, or any such.

science is not intended to be foolproof. Science is about crawling toward the
truth over time. - Scott Adams, 2015-2-2
Mike
2018-11-29 16:24:44 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
I was about to say ‘Broad Beam’ but the second link was not found :-(
2018-11-29 16:47:24 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a
model beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the
skills, machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
I was about to say ‘Broad Beam’ but the second link was not found :-(
Still working OK for me. Did you accidentally include the full stop that
is not part of the link?
2018-11-30 01:24:29 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a
model beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the
skills, machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
I was about to say ‘Broad Beam’ but the second link was not found :-(
Still working OK for me. Did you accidentally include the full stop that
is not part of the link?
Yup
Reminded me of a genuine misprint I remember from a paperback we had of
one of the Famous Five novels: "Julian's torch threw broad beans into
the night."

JPG

Mike
2018-11-30 08:48:57 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep REPETITION Jpeg!
2018-11-30 17:48:02 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a
model beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the
skills, machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
I was about to say ‘Broad Beam’ but the second link was not found :-(
Still working OK for me. Did you accidentally include the full stop that
is not part of the link?
Got no choice if you click on link. It won’t let us not. ;(

2018-11-30 23:50:40 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a
model beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the
skills, machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
I was about to say ‘Broad Beam’ but the second link was not found :-(
Still working OK for me. Did you accidentally include the full stop that
is not part of the link?
Got no choice if you click on link. It won’t let us not. ;(
Sincerely Chris
That's a (mal-, in this case) function of your news software. Turnpike
sees that last link as ending ...Kqi (_without_ the full stop).

(However, when posting a link, if I want to put a full stop after it
(for grammatical reasons), I usually add a space (then two spaces after)
- like this . For exactly that reason - I know some news/mail software
_does_ include the dot otherwise.)

255soft.uk (for the petition)

By most scientific estimates sustained, useful fusion is ten years in
the future - and will be ten years in the future for the next fifty
years or more. - "Hamadryad", ~2016-4-4
Sally Thompson
2018-12-01 08:07:57 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
I enclosed links in angled brackets for the same reason, like <this>.
2018-12-01 13:36:33 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
Thanks for explanation, JPEG.

2018-11-30 17:48:01 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
I was about to say ‘Broad Beam’ but the second link was not found :-(
Odd that didn’t work for me neither since I’m on flickr.

2018-11-29 17:00:34 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
It's a beautiful piece of work, Jim. "Rather pleased" doesn't seem to go
far enough in expressing that.

2018-11-29 17:40:06 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
<seriously impressed>
That's beautiful, Jim.
2018-11-29 18:42:42 UTC
On 29 Nov 2018 15:52:12 GMT, Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
Nice!

And a trip on the K&WVR, too. I recogniised the pics of Keighley
station.
2018-12-01 13:29:53 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
For a bit of fun I set it up to drive a couple of "marble machines".
https://vimeo.com/303711135
2018-12-01 14:15:24 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
For a bit of fun I set it up to drive a couple of "marble machines".
https://vimeo.com/303711135
Great fun Jim!
Yes, you have wonderful bits of fun! You just need some of the belts to
have splices done up with little string bows, and it'd be pure Heath
Robinson/Rube Goldberg/Professor BraneStawm.

Did you make the marble machines too? Lovely (and nice bit of
woodworking too).

JPG

visit 255soft.uk - and please pass it on

"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep
enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?" - Jean Kerr
Jim Easterbrook
2018-12-01 14:24:46 UTC
Did you make the marble machines too? Lovely (and nice bit of
woodworking too).
I made them, but not my woodwork. They're both from kits - laser cut mdf
or ply you just glue together. The cardboard pulleys are my addition.

Cardboard pulleys feature in a different kit I did last year - a
cardboard Orrery <https://flic.kr/p/DzNxx1>. It can also be driven by a
(different) steam engine <https://flic.kr/p/21G8eJS>. (Yes, I know the
Earth rotation drive is slipping.)
2018-12-01 14:33:52 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Jim Easterbrook
<***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk> writes:
[]
Post by Jim Easterbrook
the
Earth rotation drive is slipping.
[]
A sad but accurate description of our times ...

Lovely models; thanks for sharing.

Mike
2018-12-01 14:48:16 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Did you make the marble machines too? Lovely (and nice bit of
woodworking too).
I made them, but not my woodwork. They're both from kits - laser cut mdf
or ply you just glue together. The cardboard pulleys are my addition.
Cardboard pulleys feature in a different kit I did last year - a
cardboard Orrery <https://flic.kr/p/DzNxx1>. It can also be driven by a
(different) steam engine <https://flic.kr/p/21G8eJS>. (Yes, I know the
Earth rotation drive is slipping.)
I hope the kitchen scales are replete with the 1lb. Weight again now?
2018-12-02 09:47:32 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the skills,
machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
For a bit of fun I set it up to drive a couple of "marble machines".
https://vimeo.com/303711135
I like that. A lot. Somehow, it's really made me smile.
2018-12-02 10:08:58 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a
model beam engine from a kit of machined parts. (I don't have the
skills, machinery, or workshop space to build engines from scratch.)
The kit started like this https://flic.kr/p/2aw9xQJ and finished like
this https://flic.kr/p/2deYKqi. I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
For a bit of fun I set it up to drive a couple of "marble machines".
https://vimeo.com/303711135
I like that. A lot. Somehow, it's really made me smile.
Thanks Sid. I could sit and watch it for a long time.
2018-12-03 10:25:55 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a model
beam engine from a kit of machined parts.
It looks lovely and watching the marbles was great fun. Congratulations!

Pardon my ignorance but what is a beam engine? To me, an engine is an
engine!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Jim Easterbrook
2018-12-03 10:39:38 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a
model beam engine from a kit of machined parts.
It looks lovely and watching the marbles was great fun.
Congratulations!
Pardon my ignorance but what is a beam engine? To me, an engine is an
engine!
It has a beam transferring movement from the cylinder on one side to the
flywheel on the other.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_engine

They're a subset of stationary steam engines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stationary_steam_engine
2018-12-03 11:12:54 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Over the last three months I've kept myself busy with assembling a
model beam engine from a kit of machined parts.
It looks lovely and watching the marbles was great fun.
Congratulations!
Pardon my ignorance but what is a beam engine? To me, an engine is an
engine!
It has a beam transferring movement from the cylinder on one side to the
flywheel on the other.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_engine
They're a subset of stationary steam engines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stationary_steam_engine
For a really BIG one, see
-
it's a bit nerdy in all the detail it gives, but that is one impressive
construction - a true Victorian temple of engineering. I think it was
part of London's sewage system - each stroke of the engine lifted a vast
volume, so that it could flow downhill.

255soft.uk

"The wish of the lazy to allow unsupervised access [to the internet] to their
children should not reduce all adults browsing to the level of suitability for
five-year-old." Yaman Akdeniz, quoted in Inter//face (The Times, 1999-2-10):
p12