spoiler: Fri 27th Dec
2019-12-27 19:17:08 UTC
Now who wants to get married in Bali when there’s Brookfield to consider?
Anne B
2019-12-28 11:27:24 UTC
Now who wants to get married in Bali when there’s Brookfield to consider?
I'm sure that getting married in exotic places is idyllic and all that,
but are they really expecting all their 50 or more guests to shell out
for a holiday at £1000 to £2000 each in Bali so they can be there on the
day? And condemn them all to two 19-hour journeys into the bargain?

How will all those air miles go down with Krusty (not that it's really
any of her business of course)?

When they st
arted on about 'something different' I thought they were going to come
up with a genuinely original idea. Getting married on an exotic beach
really isn't original or different in this day and age.

Anne B
Mike
2019-12-28 11:51:02 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
Now who wants to get married in Bali when there’s Brookfield to consider?
I'm sure that getting married in exotic places is idyllic and all that,
but are they really expecting all their 50 or more guests to shell out
for a holiday at £1000 to £2000 each in Bali so they can be there on the
day? And condemn them all to two 19-hour journeys into the bargain?
How will all those air miles go down with Krusty (not that it's really
any of her business of course)?
When they st
arted on about 'something different' I thought they were going to come
up with a genuinely original idea. Getting married on an exotic beach
really isn't original or different in this day and age.
Anne B
It rather sounds as though Gary thinks his old Da can cough up anything up
to fifty grand to blow on their wedding! Don’t couples ever even think of
this frittering of funds versus investing into their home and or
furniture/kitchen essentials or even as preparation for forthcoming
parenthood? Personally I blame the ‘now’ economy, the gummint and the
‘profligate-with-our-license-funding BBC!
2019-12-28 13:58:08 UTC
Post by Anne B
[...]
I think this is a typical old dad got a new young gf, what about my
inheritence reaction. Dad bought the house. Son wants to claim his
share not.If Kirsty were to have kids it might all go to them.
krw
2019-12-30 13:23:01 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
I thought the Bride's family paid for weddings?
2019-12-31 08:59:32 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
That used to be the tradition. I think nowadays it's more freestyle and
it's whoever the happy couple can persuade to foot the bill.
If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving.
krw
2019-12-31 10:36:44 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Having paid for 3 daughters' weddings can I get a refund? D#2 married
first and was told the budget, she had half for the actual wedding and
half as cash to aid the deposit on the house. Still married.

d#3 was next I think and had the same budget for the wedding and the
inlaws added for some extras they wanted. She is now divorced and
living here.

d#1 had had some debt problems and had asked to use the wedding budget
to get rid of the debt and had the rest for the wedding. Divorced and
remarried. We were not invited to the second wedding.
2019-12-31 11:26:05 UTC
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 10:36:44 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
I thought the Bride's family paid for weddings?
That used to be the tradition.  I think nowadays it's more freestyle and
it's whoever the happy couple can persuade to foot the bill.
Having paid for 3 daughters' weddings can I get a refund? D#2 married
first and was told the budget, she had half for the actual wedding and
half as cash to aid the deposit on the house. Still married.
d#3 was next I think and had the same budget for the wedding and the
inlaws added for some extras they wanted. She is now divorced and
living here.
d#1 had had some debt problems and had asked to use the wedding budget
to get rid of the debt and had the rest for the wedding. Divorced and
remarried. We were not invited to the second wedding.
Sounds like you deserve a refund.

I have(had) 3 brothers and no sisters.
My parents funded my first wedding which, as predicted by my mother, did
not last but was a pretty good family celebration with the reception and
evening 'do' happening in my parents house and garden.

Brother #3's inlaws were not particularly happy with their daughter's
choice but laid on food for the minimum of guests (both close families and
the 2 witnesses) in their garden. The couple arranged their own evening do
for friends and family in a local pub - my parents may have contributed
towards food and drink and certainly provided funds towards a house*.

Brother #2's bride's family paid for his - a strange affair in a local hall
where none of her relatives (largely Belgian) mixed with the rest of us. My
parents provided funds towards a house*.

Brother 1 didn't marry his partner for a few years and when they did,
funded and provided premises (they had a barn) for the whole celebration on
a 'bring a dish' basis. My sister in law explained they were in need of new
sheets and some other bits which arrived as wedding presents.

My own 2 later weddings both happened some time after I'd been cohabiting
for a while and were not generally publicised, the only 'guests' being the
witnesses.

As for wedding invitations, they can be a huge can of worms and have caused
big family problems from time to time.

On the whole I think I prefer elopement.

*terraced houses went for about £2,800 at that time and place - neither
house had a bathroom or indoor loo. I think both their first mortgages were
very small.
2019-12-28 13:56:37 UTC
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:27:24 +0000, Anne B
Post by Anne B
Now who wants to get married in Bali when there’s Brookfield to consider?
I'm sure that getting married in exotic places is idyllic and all that,
but are they really expecting all their 50 or more guests to shell out
for a holiday at £1000 to £2000 each in Bali so they can be there on the
day? And condemn them all to two 19-hour journeys into the bargain?
How will all those air miles go down with Krusty (not that it's really
any of her business of course)?
When they st
arted on about 'something different' I thought they were going to come
up with a genuinely original idea. Getting married on an exotic beach
really isn't original or different in this day and age.
Anne B
I have seen stuff online from 30 somethings saying they are broke anbd
refusing to go to any more weddings as friends have them, even inthe
UK,and the cost of a gift, transport there and a couple of nights in a
hotel is a big deal if there are say three in a year.

#1 daughter did have a wedding in California, but husband paid and he
was working there part of the time, is a prof in various universities
in various countries. He has friends there and had a flat there. We
were not invited, but they had a second blessing thing in the UK for
family and friends, on Parliament Hill Fields, and a disco and vegan
meal in a pub as the reception. No outlay was required of friends and
family. I was asked, as well as some friends, to do a reading. I read
the Dylan song Forever Young.
Chris McMillan
2019-12-28 14:20:01 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
Now who wants to get married in Bali when there’s Brookfield to consider?
I'm sure that getting married in exotic places is idyllic and all that,
but are they really expecting all their 50 or more guests to shell out
for a holiday at £1000 to £2000 each in Bali so they can be there on the
day? And condemn them all to two 19-hour journeys into the bargain?
How will all those air miles go down with Krusty (not that it's really
any of her business of course)?
When they st
arted on about 'something different' I thought they were going to come
up with a genuinely original idea. Getting married on an exotic beach
really isn't original or different in this day and age.
Anne B
Like the Brookfield barn!

When Aliss and Chrisduffer married did Kneel, Susan go? Emmur n Ed
wouldn’t have. And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the xmas
lights malarky.

2019-12-28 17:54:29 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
Now who wants to get married in Bali when there’s Brookfield to consider?
I'm sure that getting married in exotic places is idyllic and all that,
but are they really expecting all their 50 or more guests to shell out
for a holiday at £1000 to £2000 each in Bali so they can be there on the
day? And condemn them all to two 19-hour journeys into the bargain?
How will all those air miles go down with Krusty (not that it's really
any of her business of course)?
When they st
arted on about 'something different' I thought they were going to come
up with a genuinely original idea. Getting married on an exotic beach
really isn't original or different in this day and age.
Anne B
Like the Brookfield barn!
When Aliss and Chrisduffer married did Kneel, Susan go? Emmur n Ed
wouldn’t have.
No, Aliss and Chrisduffer didn't tell anyone about their wedding till
they got home, after the event. They then had a posh reception,
courtesy of Brian and Jennifer, in a marquee at Home Farm, after the event.
Post by Chris McMillan
And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the xmas
lights malarky.
I don't think Philip has any very green credentials in his own right,
just a vague support for Kirsty with hers.
A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
thought of. (Burt Bacharach)
Mike
2019-12-29 11:14:06 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the xmas
lights malarky.
I don't think Philip has any very green credentials in his own right,
just a vague support for Kirsty with hers.
IMNSHV, if Gary is really saying ‘I can’t afford a wedding’ what gives him
the right to ask his father ...’Look, I want to fritter away up to fifty
grand of your money, ‘cos I can’t afford it myself!’
2019-12-29 13:23:43 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the xmas
lights malarky.
I don't think Philip has any very green credentials in his own right,
just a vague support for Kirsty with hers.
IMNSHV, if Gary is really saying ‘I can’t afford a wedding’ what gives him
the right to ask his father ...’Look, I want to fritter away up to fifty
grand of your money, ‘cos I can’t afford it myself!’
Yup and, no doubt, in a year or so we'll hear him lamenting how unfair
it is that he can't afford the deposit to allow him to buy a house.
Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let
each new year find you a better man. (Benjamin Franklin)
Mike
2019-12-29 13:38:25 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the xmas
lights malarky.
I don't think Philip has any very green credentials in his own right,
just a vague support for Kirsty with hers.
IMNSHV, if Gary is really saying ‘I can’t afford a wedding’ what gives him
the right to ask his father ...’Look, I want to fritter away up to fifty
grand of your money, ‘cos I can’t afford it myself!’
Yup and, no doubt, in a year or so we'll hear him lamenting how unfair
it is that he can't afford the deposit to allow him to buy a house.
And want to move in with his Da?
2019-12-30 13:25:29 UTC
Yup and, no doubt, in a year or so we'll hear him lamenting how unfair
it is that he can't afford the deposit to allow him to buy a house.
My daughter has nearly £50k saved and cannot afford to buy herself a
house so lives upstairs.
Flop
2019-12-30 14:32:32 UTC
Yup and, no doubt, in a year or so we'll hear him lamenting how unfair
it is that he can't afford the deposit to allow him to buy a house.
My daughter has nearly £50k saved and cannot afford to buy herself a
house so lives upstairs.
Is it really 'cannot afford to buy'?

£50k will go a long,long way to a deposit.

It sounds like our situation except we suspect that the reluctance is to
leave:- clothes washed, food supplied, room cleaned, lifts provided
etc,etc.

There really is no incentive to fly.
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
krw
2019-12-30 15:11:37 UTC
Post by Flop
Yup and, no doubt, in a year or so we'll hear him lamenting how
unfair it is that he can't afford the deposit to allow him to buy a
house.
My daughter has nearly £50k saved and cannot afford to buy herself a
house so lives upstairs.
Is it really 'cannot afford to buy'?
£50k will go a long,long way to a deposit.
It sounds like our situation except we suspect that the reluctance is to
leave:-  clothes washed, food supplied, room cleaned, lifts provided
etc,etc.
There really is no incentive to fly.
Really cannot afford to buy.

Washes all her own and son's clothes, buys her own food, cleans her own
rooms. Has been known to rescue me when lift needed (rather than vice
versa). House pricees really are ridiculous.
2019-12-30 18:47:12 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the xmas
lights malarky.
I don't think Philip has any very green credentials in his own right,
just a vague support for Kirsty with hers.
Didn’t they meet via bird watching at Arkwright Lake? OAM.

2019-12-31 10:29:25 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the xmas
lights malarky.
I don't think Philip has any very green credentials in his own right,
just a vague support for Kirsty with hers.
Didn’t they meet via bird watching at Arkwright Lake? OAM.
Sincerely Chris
I think that was their second/third/fourth meeting when they started
talking to each other properly and she realised that he wasn't as awful
as she thought. Their first meeting was somewhere which gave Kirsty the
impression that he was an awful destroyer of nature, I can remember the
circumstances of that meeting though.
2019-12-31 10:37:35 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the xmas
lights malarky.
I don't think Philip has any very green credentials in his own right,
just a vague support for Kirsty with hers.
Didn’t they meet via  bird watching at Arkwright Lake?  OAM.
Sincerely Chris
I think that was their second/third/fourth meeting when they started
talking to each other properly and she realised that he wasn't as awful
as she thought. Their first meeting was somewhere which gave Kirsty the
impression that he was an awful destroyer of nature, I can remember the
circumstances of that meeting though.
He hunted? Or something similar when she was protesting?
2019-12-31 11:07:25 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
And Krusty could cite her ‘green’ credentials and not go.
Likewise Philip (though I’m losing faith in him as ‘green’ after the
xmas
lights malarky.
I don't think Philip has any very green credentials in his own right,
just a vague support for Kirsty with hers.
Didn’t they meet via  bird watching at Arkwright Lake?  OAM.
Sincerely Chris
I think that was their second/third/fourth meeting when they started
talking to each other properly and she realised that he wasn't as awful
as she thought. Their first meeting was somewhere which gave Kirsty the
impression that he was an awful destroyer of nature, I can remember the
circumstances of that meeting though.
He hunted? Or something similar when she was protesting?
Not sure if she was protesting but I think he did hunt. That's anotehr
thing I don't like about him. As well as wallowing in Shula and
Alastair's marriage break up, both ways.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-12-28 17:51:20 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
Now who wants to get married in Bali when there’s Brookfield to consider?
I'm sure that getting married in exotic places is idyllic and all that,
but are they really expecting all their 50 or more guests to shell out
for a holiday at £1000 to £2000 each in Bali so they can be there on the
day? And condemn them all to two 19-hour journeys into the bargain?
How will all those air miles go down with Krusty (not that it's really
any of her business of course)?
When they st
arted on about 'something different' I thought they were going to come
up with a genuinely original idea. Getting married on an exotic beach
really isn't original or different in this day and age.
While I was always sure that what they longed for was something just as
bland and pre-processed as the kind of wedding they disdained - just
far, far more expensive.
Families are like fudge....mostly sweet with a few nuts.
Penny
2019-12-30 22:13:13 UTC
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 11:27:24 +0000, Anne B <***@btinternet.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
Now who wants to get married in Bali when there’s Brookfield to consider?
I'm sure that getting married in exotic places is idyllic and all that,
but are they really expecting all their 50 or more guests to shell out
for a holiday at £1000 to £2000 each in Bali so they can be there on the
day? And condemn them all to two 19-hour journeys into the bargain?
I've been invited to three such weddings - not quite so far away perhaps
but still stupidly expensive for the guests. All were for British couples
with no connections abroad. I did not attend any of them.

Two of them were definitely arranged to discourage the attendance of the
bride's estranged father - and that part of the plan worked.
One of the brides really didn't expect many invitees to attend and also
laid on a reception at a local sailing club after the event and invited
those she wanted to share the celebration with there.

The third, I suspect, was arranged (by the bride) to discourage the
attendance of the groom's father - it worked.
The groom never forgave him for not attending which was sad.

IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
2019-12-31 02:20:04 UTC
IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
<languid wave>
2019-12-31 08:37:43 UTC
IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
<languid wave>
Perhaps Philip could incorporate a few ‘extras’ in the refurbishment of the
Children’s / great oaf’s playground that might include a little archway of
bright plastic flowers and other frills suitable for wedding photo
opportunities - they could then marry there with Alan as M/C. No doubt
Umrats could suggest suitable items or features for the playground please?
2019-12-31 08:54:28 UTC
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 08:37:43 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
<languid wave>
Perhaps Philip could incorporate a few ‘extras’ in the refurbishment of the
Children’s / great oaf’s playground that might include a little archway of
bright plastic flowers and other frills suitable for wedding photo
opportunities - they could then marry there with Alan as M/C. No doubt
Umrats could suggest suitable items or features for the playground please?
Oh dear, my mind immediately supplied pictures of some adult swing
equipment a chap I met on t'internet wanted me to try...
2019-12-31 09:38:10 UTC
in the dust...
IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
<languid wave>
Perhaps Philip could incorporate a few ‘extras’ in the refurbishment of the
Children’s / great oaf’s playground that might include a little archway of
bright plastic flowers and other frills suitable for wedding photo
opportunities - they could then marry there with Alan as M/C. No doubt
Umrats could suggest suitable items or features for the playground please?
Oh dear, my mind immediately supplied pictures of some adult swing
equipment a chap I met on t'internet wanted me to try...
Well, the playgrounds round here often have adult gym equipment since
about..umbrella years ago. The cross trainer and something you sit on
and pull down a bar with weights. What about an area for morning tai
chi? Lots of locals could benefit from that. Perhaps Lee is qualified
to lead it?
BrritSki
I think Penny's chap had some other sort of swinging in mind...
Serena Blanchflower
2019-12-31 09:01:42 UTC
IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
<languid wave>
And another from over here.
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude (Maya Angelou)
BrritSki
2019-12-31 10:10:26 UTC
IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
<languid wave>
And another from over here.
And here. And also too much made of spoiler space that is not really
necessary as there's no real mention of events in TA that happened last
week anyway...
Sam Plusnet
2020-01-01 06:40:24 UTC
IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
<languid wave>
And another from over here.
And here. And also too much made of spoiler space that is not really
necessary as there's no real mention of events in TA that happened last
week anyway...
And here.

And a <languid wave> re spoiler space.
2019-12-31 11:28:14 UTC
IMO too much is made of (and from) weddings and not enough of marriage.
<languid wave>
+1 And I should imagine oodles more

Nick
Mike Ruddock
2019-12-31 08:47:07 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Isn't there some evidence that the more expensive the wedding, the
shorter the marriage?

Mike Ruddock
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-12-31 19:27:05 UTC
On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 08:47:10 UTC, Mike Ruddock wrote:

<snipped>
I don't know about proper evidence, but there are certainly anecdotes to that effect.
Nick Odell
2019-12-31 11:30:42 UTC
On Mon, 30 Dec 2019 22:13:13 +0000, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:
<snip>
Post by Penny
Two of them were definitely arranged to discourage the attendance of the
bride's estranged father - and that part of the plan worked.
<snip>

One of them wouldn't have been Meghan Markle by any chance, I suppose?

2019-12-31 11:48:01 UTC
<snip>
Post by Penny
Two of them were definitely arranged to discourage the attendance of the
bride's estranged father - and that part of the plan worked.
<snip>
One of them wouldn't have been Meghan Markle by any chance, I suppose?
Tut tut Nick. If they read that they'll need another long holiday when
they get back from their current 6 week one.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-12-31 19:33:51 UTC
On Saturday, 28 December 2019 11:27:27 UTC, Anne B wrote:

<snipped>
Post by Anne B
I'm sure that getting married in exotic places is idyllic and all that,
but are they really expecting all their 50 or more guests to shell out
for a holiday at £1000 to £2000 each in Bali so they can be there on the
day? And condemn them all to two 19-hour journeys into the bargain?
We got married in a church in Belfast, the city where we were both working at the time, but most of our friends and relatives came over from England and must have thought it an exotic location.