UMRA birthday info for 8 February 2020
Birthday Monitor
2020-02-08 07:22:46 UTC
Birthday News for today, 8 February: Pauline Young.
d***@gmail.com
2020-02-08 19:07:02 UTC
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.

Best wishes to SODAM for her birthday tomorrow.

Pauline (now based at Woodbridge)
Jenny M Benson
2020-02-08 19:50:39 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.
Hello, Pauline, how lovely to see you here again!
2020-02-08 21:16:38 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.
Hello, Pauline, how lovely to see you here again!
Far-from-languid wave!
2020-02-09 13:58:55 UTC
<lw>
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-08 21:27:21 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.
Best wishes to SODAM for her birthday tomorrow.
Pauline (now based at Woodbridge)
Oh, nice that you are still here. Happy birthday, Pauline.
And let me be the first to wish you many happy returns for tomorrow,
Sodam.
SODAM
2020-02-08 23:18:27 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.
Best wishes to SODAM for her birthday tomorrow.
Pauline (now based at Woodbridge)
Oh, nice that you are still here. Happy birthday, Pauline.
And let me be the first to wish you many happy returns for tomorrow,
Sodam.
<Gracious wave of gloved hand with diamond bracelet over>
Many thanks, Vicky, but unassuming as I am, let me not burst in on
Pauline’s parade.

Feeling slightly queasy having eaten 90% of a large box of Thornton’s
“puddings” today. Diet? The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Min
2020-02-09 01:31:18 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.
Best wishes to SODAM for her birthday tomorrow.
Pauline (now based at Woodbridge)
Oh, nice that you are still here. Happy birthday, Pauline.
And let me be the first to wish you many happy returns for tomorrow,
Sodam.
<Gracious wave of gloved hand with diamond bracelet over>
Many thanks, Vicky, but unassuming as I am, let me not burst in on
Pauline’s parade.
Feeling slightly queasy having eaten 90% of a large box of Thornton’s
“puddings” today. Diet? The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Or, as translated at the UN (possibly apocryphal) the vodka's fine, but the meat's off....
--
Min
Many Happies for today, SODAM!
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-09 09:52:16 UTC
On S
Feeling slightly queasy having eaten 90% of a large box of Thornton’s
“puddings” today. Diet? The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
I love food porn. What Thornton puddings? A kind of chocolate, if in
a box? Not seen those. Will google. Oh. Very odd pricing. All
different boxes at prices but not all give weight and when you ask the
bigger boxes can be 5.99 but similar can cost 27 quid or 7.99 or 9.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thorntons-Seasonal-Selection-Chocolate-Christmas/dp/B07HB2WSP7/ref=pd_aw_sbs_325_1/257-6149362-3593438?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HB2WSP7&pd_rd_r=83f4e633-9c1a-4d58-93d1-70d673f6b303&pd_rd_w=iLEfh&pd_rd_wg=5Hz20&pf_rd_p=15216146-4434-47f5-99d9-56240c85bf4d&pf_rd_r=2SXYZ22KD38576DS87N2&psc=1&refRID=2SXYZ22KD38576DS87N2
Penny
2020-02-09 11:36:01 UTC
On Sun, 09 Feb 2020 09:52:16 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
On S
Post by SODAM
Feeling slightly queasy having eaten 90% of a large box of Thornton’s
“puddings” today. Diet? The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
I love food porn. What Thornton puddings? A kind of chocolate, if in
a box? Not seen those. Will google. Oh. Very odd pricing. All
different boxes at prices but not all give weight and when you ask the
bigger boxes can be 5.99 but similar can cost 27 quid or 7.99 or 9.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thorntons-Seasonal-Selection-Chocolate-Christmas/dp/B07HB2WSP7/ref=pd_aw_sbs_325_1/257-6149362-3593438?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07HB2WSP7&pd_rd_r=83f4e633-9c1a-4d58-93d1-70d673f6b303&pd_rd_w=iLEfh&pd_rd_wg=5Hz20&pf_rd_p=15216146-4434-47f5-99d9-56240c85bf4d&pf_rd_r=2SXYZ22KD38576DS87N2&psc=1&refRID=2SXYZ22KD
38576DS87N2

I think the Christmas selection you link to has been reduced - it being
February.

I see what you mean about the puddings though. Possibly the cheaper large
box is short-dated - it's a winter graphic on the box.
Or maybe they are market-testing.

The buying public are strange. Apparently some, offered identical products
at three very different prices, will never pick the cheapest because they
feel there must be something wrong with it.

I've done surveys asking me at what price I would consider a branded
product to be too cheap.
2020-02-09 13:40:13 UTC
On S
Post by SODAM
[...]
When they not only give it away free.... but offer to deliver it same-day
and without charge?
2020-02-09 13:56:42 UTC
On S
Post by SODAM
[...]
Oh! And offer a £100 unconditional voucher that can be redeemed without
making any purchase first.
2020-02-09 14:12:23 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
The buying public are strange. Apparently some, offered identical products
at three very different prices, will never pick the cheapest because they
feel there must be something wrong with it.
I've done surveys asking me at what price I would consider a branded
product to be too cheap.
Unless I've had experience to teach me otherwise, I generally assume
_all_ branded products are overpriced, if I've heard of them. Some _are_
(Nurofen being the most extreme example I can think of).

I added the "if I've heard of them" as Lidl (and Aldi? There isn't one
convenient for me so I don't know) seem to sell most of their own-brand
stuff under invented names, rather than their own. (Usually, if you read
the small print, it says "made exclusively for Lidl by/in ...".) Other
chains do too, but mostly don't try as hard - using only one or two
names, which you soon learn. (Tesco latest wrinkle has been to resurrect
the name of the company they started out as.)

[P. S.: I originally typed "Tesco's", then came back to edit it
(Turnpike holds for a minute for such second thoughts, which I often
find useful!). Calling the chain Tesco just feels wrong, but I think is
correct (it was originally - and on the resurrected products - something
"co.").]

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3
Anne B
2020-02-09 14:19:45 UTC
[...]
In my mind the "co" bit is an abbreviation of company so "Tesco's" looks
all wrong.

As for TES - Terribly Expensive Stuff?

Not that I would know. I have not set foot in a Tesco store (except to
use the toilets) since they put 92 people out of work in Aberystwyth
about five years ago.

Anne B
John Ashby
2020-02-09 14:43:21 UTC
Post by Anne B
[...]
Whereas it's actually an abbreviation of Cohen.
Post by Anne B
As for TES - Terribly Expensive Stuff?
T E Stockwell, up with whom Jack Cohen teamed.
Post by Anne B
Not that I would know. I have not set foot in a Tesco store (except to
use the toilets) since they put 92 people out of work in Aberystwyth
about five years ago.
Anne B
That was probably more than you wanted to know, then.

john
Anne B
2020-02-09 20:02:15 UTC
Post by Anne B
Not that I would know. I have not set foot in a Tesco store (except to
use the toilets) since they put 92 people out of work in Aberystwyth
about five years ago.
Anne B
That was probably more than you wanted to know, then.
john
It was indeed. But thank you nevertheless.

Anne B
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-02-09 14:49:29 UTC
In message <r1p4e3$lbq$***@dont-email.me>, Anne B
<***@btinternet.com> writes:
[]
Post by Anne B
As for TES - Terribly Expensive Stuff?
A while since we had such a discussion: my thinking is currently,
approximately:

M&S and Waitrose - most expensive, probably high quality (I think of M&S
as limited range though, but may be because I'm thinking of small
branches [though they often are])

Sainsburys - next one down. Noticeably more expensive than those below,
at least Lidl. (Who was it said "I like Sainsburys - keeps the riff-raff
out of Waitrose"?)

Tesco.

Asda. Slightly by price - but possibly not by quality; tend only to be
huge stores.

Lidl (and Aldi who I assume are near-identical but I'm not often near
one): _much_ cheaper than the above three, but _not_ inferior in
quality. Often good for non-food items (technology and other), often
with 3-year guarantees. I started to go there for the novelties, but
find I do the majority of my grocery shopping there now. I still find
they don't carry some minor things I want (teacakes, a couple of branded
loaves, saucisse seche, and some other things) so go to Sainsburys - I'd
go to Tesco, but in Ashford, out of S/T(2)/A/L, only the S has a caff,
and I like to go there on a shopping day. [Well, the Waitrose has
something, but it's very - well, Waitrose (-:]

Does Netto still exist? I'd have put that at the bottom (pricewise -
can't speak for quality), but I haven't seen one for years (or at all in
the south).

All this for medium/big/huge stores; the smaller versions (Sainsburys
"Local", Tesco similar, Spar, petrol station etc.) I use too little to
comment, other than in the case of Sainsburys they carry less own-brand
stuff.
Post by Anne B
Not that I would know. I have not set foot in a Tesco store (except to
use the toilets) since they put 92 people out of work in Aberystwyth
about five years ago.
I fear all the three major chains (and quite possibly the others above
and below them) are guilty of similar. Or, use horrible contracts.
Post by Anne B
Anne B
Oh, Chirality for Ashford - S: clockwise; T: one is anticlockwise, can't
remember the other; A: I don't use as their parking isn't free; W: too
small to really say; L anticlockwise. (L clockwise in Maidstone, and S
anti.) [Ashford L: parking only free for 90 minutes, after which about
45 pounds!]

The average age of a single mum in this country is 37
- Jane Rackham, RT 2016/5/28-6/3
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-09 17:51:43 UTC
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 14:49:29 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Anne B
Anne B
Oh, Chirality for Ashford - S: clockwise; T: one is anticlockwise, can't
remember the other; A: I don't use as their parking isn't free; W: too
small to really say; L anticlockwise. (L clockwise in Maidstone, and S
anti.) [Ashford L: parking only free for 90 minutes, after which about
45 pounds!]
They've just opened a new Lidl and Aldi in the Watford shopping park
so I'm hoping we can visit whenever B is well enough. The's his idea
of a fun outing :). When I checked online prices for diet coke though
Aldi, who deliver free over £20's worth, only do own brand coke and
Lidl have no search facility for food items on the website and in the
lists of items no soft drinks. Morrisons delivery next time then.
Mike
2020-02-09 18:32:06 UTC
J. P. Gilliver (John) <***@255soft.uk> wrote:
(Who was it said "I like Sainsburys - keeps the riff-raff
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
out of Waitrose"?)
I heard it uttered by Stephen Fry.
2020-02-09 18:48:51 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
out of Waitrose"?)
I heard it uttered by Stephen Fry.
I think Alan Coren said it earlier.
Paul Herber
2020-02-10 09:11:59 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
out of Waitrose"?)
I heard it uttered by Stephen Fry.
I think Alan Coren said it earlier.
No, I said it earlier!
Spartacus.
Mike
2020-02-10 09:51:39 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
out of Waitrose"?)
I heard it uttered by Stephen Fry.
I think Alan Coren said it earlier.
No, I said it earlier!
Spartacus.
Thought you were dead!
Paul Herber
2020-02-10 12:03:53 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
out of Waitrose"?)
I heard it uttered by Stephen Fry.
I think Alan Coren said it earlier.
No, I said it earlier!
Spartacus.
Thought you were dead!
Don't make me cross.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Mike
2020-02-10 13:12:01 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Mike
Post by Paul Herber
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
out of Waitrose"?)
I heard it uttered by Stephen Fry.
I think Alan Coren said it earlier.
No, I said it earlier!
Spartacus.
Thought you were dead!
Don't make me cross.
Alright, if you feel like that, make it yerself!
2020-02-09 18:35:59 UTC
M&S and Waitrose - most expensive, probably high quality (I think of M&S
as limited range though, but may be because I'm thinking of small
branches [though they often are])
And if you want even higher prices, try M&S in horsepiddals etc. Where
there is a further hike in prices!
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-09 18:59:52 UTC
M&S and Waitrose - most expensive, probably high quality (I think of M&S
as limited range though, but may be because I'm thinking of small
branches [though they often are])
And if you want even higher prices, try M&S in horsepiddals etc. Where
there is a further hike in prices!
Captive market innit. At least at Queen Lizzie's in Glasgow where it's a
fair step to anywhere else. M&S is quite good though. Ready meals a cut
above Waitrose's for example. Although I favour Iceland for ready meals;
the "luxury" frozen ones are rather good and they are cheaper than most
supermarkets' ordinary ones.

When my head blew up ten years ago this coming May (heavens, was it that
long ago) and was incarcerated in Royal Preston Hospital for ten days I
used to send visitors across the road to Booths. Lancashire speciality
Booths is not cheap but it makes Waitrose look shabby. Grimy North? My
arse! The quality is always excellent though.

What of Morrisons? I use two Morrisons for day to day messages: the
larger Anniesland (Uncle Clockwise) and the smaller Partick (Auntie
Clockwise). "Wonky" range of fresh fruit very good value and I like the
big bags of "Dessert Apples" for GBP 2.00 that keep up my apple habit
for several days, although they are of unspecified variety and some
varieties are better than others. Good for pies too, though rubbish for
cheese – this is where one craves a Booths nearby although if one is
feeling flush (it's very easy to run up a big bill) we are blessed with
Mellis's of Kelvinbridge and Geo. Mewes of Byers Road for the real thing.

Anne B
2020-02-09 20:06:08 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
M&S and Waitrose - most expensive, probably high quality (I think of M&S
as limited range though, but may be because I'm thinking of small
branches [though they often are])
And if you want even higher prices, try M&S in horsepiddals etc. Where
there is a further hike in prices!
Captive market innit. At least at Queen Lizzie's in Glasgow where it's a
fair step to anywhere else. M&S is quite good though. Ready meals a cut
above Waitrose's for example.
I don't like M&S ready meals because they **always** put far too much
onion in them. I don't like onion.

Anne B
Kate B
2020-02-09 23:15:12 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
M&S and Waitrose - most expensive, probably high quality (I think of M&S
as limited range though, but may be because I'm thinking of small
branches [though they often are])
And if you want even higher prices, try M&S in horsepiddals etc. Where
there is a further hike in prices!
Captive market innit. At least at Queen Lizzie's in Glasgow where it's
a fair step to anywhere else. M&S is quite good though. Ready meals a
cut above Waitrose's for example.
I don't like M&S ready meals because they **always** put far too much
onion in them. I don't like onion.
When I broke both wrists successively within about eighteenth months of
each other, we became very familiar with quite a range of ready meals.
Waitrose was disappointing and so was M&S (though not as inedible as
Tescos or Sainsburys), and we ended up at a branch of 'Cook' which seems
truly to use ordinary good ingredients without preservatives and gum
thickeners etc. The salt content is low and so is the sugar in the
desserts (though those are a rare treat. The gin-and-tonic semi-freddo
is fabulous) Once, a vegetable lasagne did have much too much salt in it
and I complained, they apologised and said it had been a mistake,
refunded me and included a large number of vouchers, and we've never had
an over-salty dish again. They are also apparently model employers.
2020-02-10 08:53:10 UTC
Post by Kate B
When I broke both wrists successively within about eighteenth months of
each other, we became very familiar with quite a range of ready meals.
Waitrose was disappointing and so was M&S (though not as inedible as
Tescos or Sainsburys), and we ended up at a branch of 'Cook' which seems
truly to use ordinary good ingredients without preservatives and gum
thickeners etc. The salt content is low and so is the sugar in the
desserts (though those are a rare treat. The gin-and-tonic semi-freddo
is fabulous) Once, a vegetable lasagne did have much too much salt in it
and I complained, they apologised and said it had been a mistake,
refunded me and included a large number of vouchers, and we've never had
an over-salty dish again. They are also apparently model employers.
Looking at the website themeals do look very good but there isn't one
anywhere near us and delivery is at least £30 worth and over £50 for
free delivery.
Sally Thompson
2020-02-10 09:11:21 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
We have an overflow freezer in the workshop which we fill. The meals are
really very good, and I have to thank Serena for the recommendation some
years ago.
2020-02-10 09:03:12 UTC
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 23:15:12 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
Post by Anne B
I don't like M&S ready meals because they **always** put far too much
onion in them. I don't like onion.
When I broke both wrists successively within about eighteenth months of
each other, we became very familiar with quite a range of ready meals.
Waitrose was disappointing and so was M&S (though not as inedible as
Tescos or Sainsburys), and we ended up at a branch of 'Cook' which seems
truly to use ordinary good ingredients without preservatives and gum
thickeners etc. The salt content is low and so is the sugar in the
desserts (though those are a rare treat.
To my taste most ready meals contain not enough salt and far too much
pepper and sugar - presumably in an effort to cover the lack of salt. Not
that I usually add salt as such to my own cooking but I do use salted
butter, bacon and parsley.
2020-02-10 09:26:51 UTC
Post by Kate B
When I broke both wrists successively within about eighteenth months of
each other, we became very familiar with quite a range of ready meals.
Waitrose was disappointing and so was M&S (though not as inedible as
Tescos or Sainsburys), and we ended up at a branch of 'Cook' which seems
truly to use ordinary good ingredients without preservatives and gum
thickeners etc. The salt content is low and so is the sugar in the
desserts (though those are a rare treat. The gin-and-tonic semi-freddo
is fabulous) Once, a vegetable lasagne did have much too much salt in it
and I complained, they apologised and said it had been a mistake,
refunded me and included a large number of vouchers, and we've never had
an over-salty dish again. They are also apparently model employers.
Cook meals are a staple part of my diet. Most of them are pretty good
but, even if they don't use excessive sugar in their desserts (I've
rarely sampled those), my most frequent complaint is that several of
their savoury meals are too sweet for my taste.
Christians shouldn't just be pulling people out of the river. We should
be going upstream to find out who's pushing them in. (Desmond Tutu)
Sid Nuncius
2020-02-13 07:06:54 UTC
Cook meals are a staple part of my diet.  Most of them are pretty good
but, even if they don't use excessive sugar in their desserts (I've
rarely sampled those), my most frequent complaint is that several of
their savoury meals are too sweet for my taste.
Yes, we tried some Cook meals and found them far too sweet. A shame,
because they seemed very good quality apart from that.
Anne B
2020-02-09 20:04:15 UTC
Post by Anne B
Anne B
Oh, Chirality for Ashford - S: clockwise; T: one is anticlockwise, can't
remember the other; A: I don't use as their parking isn't free; W: too
small to really say; L anticlockwise. (L clockwise in Maidstone, and S
anti.) [Ashford L: parking only free for 90 minutes, after which about
45 pounds!]
You left out Morrisons. Somewhere between Tesco and ASDA.

Anne B
Chris J Dixon
2020-02-10 09:37:26 UTC
A while since we had such a discussion: my thinking is currently,
M&S and Waitrose - most expensive, probably high quality (
Sainsburys - next one down. Noticeably more expensive than those below,
at least Lidl. (Who was it said "I like Sainsburys - keeps the riff-raff
out of Waitrose"?)
Tesco.
Asda. Slightly by price - but possibly not by quality; tend only to be
huge stores.
Lidl (and Aldi who I assume are near-identical but I'm not often near
one): _much_ cheaper than the above three, but _not_ inferior in
quality.
From Which?

"Sainsbury’s was the cheapest supermarket for branded groceries
last year, according to our analysis. We crunched thousands of
prices across six major online supermarkets to compare just how
cheap – or expensive – they were in 2019. Our trolley of
groceries contained 53 common items, from Andrex toilet tissue
and Heinz baked beans to Weetabix cereal and Sure deodorant.

Sainsbury's £107.01
Asda £107.65
Morrisons £109.13
Tesco £112.40
Ocado £116.40
Waitrose £117.81"

I guess an important point is that they have used branded items
to ensure comparability. One you go to own brand I guess it can
be a very different picture, but impossible to compare
objectively.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
steve hague
2020-02-10 12:55:37 UTC
A while since we had such a discussion: my thinking is currently,
M&S and Waitrose - most expensive, probably high quality (
Sainsburys - next one down. Noticeably more expensive than those below,
at least Lidl. (Who was it said "I like Sainsburys - keeps the riff-raff
out of Waitrose"?)
Tesco.
Asda. Slightly by price - but possibly not by quality; tend only to be
huge stores.
Lidl (and Aldi who I assume are near-identical but I'm not often near
one): _much_ cheaper than the above three, but _not_ inferior in
quality.
We do most of our food shopping these days at Aldi, the local branch
being a two minute drive or ten minute walk away. Their own stuff is
cheap, but high quality. When serious weather prevented other
supermarkets stocking up on the basics a couple of years ago, we found
Aldi was the only place we could buy milk, and this was because they
sourced it locally. The nearest Lidl is quite a bit further, but they
have an in house bakery, and their croissants, warm from the oven, are
worth the journey. Their gin is horrible though.
2020-02-10 13:09:22 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
From Which?
"Sainsbury’s was the cheapest supermarket for branded groceries
last year, according to our analysis. We crunched thousands of
prices across six major online supermarkets to compare just how
cheap – or expensive – they were in 2019. Our trolley of
groceries contained 53 common items, from Andrex toilet tissue
and Heinz baked beans to Weetabix cereal and Sure deodorant.
Sainsbury's £107.01
Asda £107.65
Morrisons £109.13
Tesco £112.40
Ocado £116.40
Waitrose £117.81"
I guess an important point is that they have used branded items
to ensure comparability. One you go to own brand I guess it can
be a very different picture, but impossible to compare
objectively.
Chris
Yes, but I get a delivery from Tesco's one week and Morrisons the
next, turn and turn about. And then Sainsburys is next door, a 5
minute walk, and Asda over the road from that, easily on my way home
from swimming each morning.

So I compare prices of things I know vary at times and currently
Morrisons is best for Diet coke and usually Tescos is best for dog
food but Morrisons for cat food. Pukka pies cheaper in Morrisons.
Chicago Town Takeawy pizza just stopped being cheaper in Tesco's, a
did scampi. Lavazza Oro coffee has been a bargain in Asda for weeks
but they sell out early each day so you need to be lucky., They only
put so many packs out.

The price difference on a complete shop if you are able to shop around
is huge. I do tend to think Asda is cheapest though. I prefer to get
fresh fruit fromthem. Sainsburys is definitely more expensive.
Vegetable deals can be from either delivery place but not potatoes. I
like bags of small ones and they rot from delivery places.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-02-11 17:16:25 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
A while since we had such a discussion: my thinking is currently,
M&S and Waitrose - most expensive, probably high quality (
Sainsburys - next one down. Noticeably more expensive than those below,
at least Lidl. (Who was it said "I like Sainsburys - keeps the riff-raff
out of Waitrose"?)
Tesco.
Asda. Slightly by price - but possibly not by quality; tend only to be
huge stores.
Lidl (and Aldi who I assume are near-identical but I'm not often near
one): _much_ cheaper than the above three, but _not_ inferior in
quality.
From Which?
"Sainsbury’s was the cheapest supermarket for branded groceries
last year, according to our analysis. We crunched thousands of
prices across six major online supermarkets to compare just how
cheap – or expensive – they were in 2019. Our trolley of
groceries contained 53 common items, from Andrex toilet tissue
and Heinz baked beans to Weetabix cereal and Sure deodorant.
Sainsbury's £107.01
Asda £107.65
Morrisons £109.13
Tesco £112.40
Ocado £116.40
Waitrose £117.81"
I guess an important point is that they have used branded items
to ensure comparability. One you go to own brand I guess it can
be a very different picture, but impossible to compare
objectively.
Yes, I heard that recently and it surprised me. It's some time since
I've done a proper comparison but it certainly used to be the case,
pretty consistently, that at least for the stuff I bought, Sainsbury was
significantly more expensive than Tesco.

I don't know if they've changed their pricing strategy or if it's simply
that I don't tend to buy the kind of things that Which compares.
My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli - he was pulled in by a strong
current.
Penny
2020-02-09 15:55:06 UTC
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 14:19:45 +0000, Anne B <***@btinternet.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Anne B
I have not set foot in a Tesco store (except to
use the toilets) since they put 92 people out of work in Aberystwyth
about five years ago.
I didn't know they ever had one on Aberystwyth, I think they opened and
closed one in nearby Machynlleth in the last 10 years, causing a lot of
uproar on both occasions. I'm not a fan of Tesco, they caused the closure
of 3 existing supermarkets in this town (two of which were Co-op) leaving
it with no large supermarket you could easily walk to from the town-centre
housing for the senior community. Since their opening here I have never
seen their car park full - the store was built in sight of my house just
after we moved here. Can't say the same for Llidl car park, I buy quite a
lot of food from them these days.
Anne B
2020-02-09 20:19:06 UTC
Post by Anne B
I have not set foot in a Tesco store (except to
use the toilets) since they put 92 people out of work in Aberystwyth
about five years ago.
I didn't know they ever had one on Aberystwyth >
They didn't.

But shortly after my one and only ever visit to Aberystwyth they stopped
stocking Rachel's yoghurt, which is produced in Aberystwyth, with the
result that Rachel's had to lay off/make redundant/fire 92 of their
staff. In a place like Aberystwyth, 92 jobs is quite a large number. So
I vowed I would not shop there again.

I had been getting progressively more and more fed up at Tesco
discontinuing the particular items I liked, because their share of the
market is so big that if they discontinue a particular line, in most
cases that line is then discontinued altogether by the manufacturer.

It felt as if they had someone in their buying office who watched what I
was buying and then decided to spite me by stopping stocking all my
favourite things.

Or they replaced my favourites with an own brand, most of which (for
example Frusli bars and lemon yoghurt) contain more sugar and are far
too sweet.

If they won't stock the specific items I want to buy, I'm not going to
bother going there. I can get the run-of-the-mill stuff in the Co-Op,
Lidl, and Aldi, probably cheaper and mostly just as good quality.

Anne B
Penny
2020-02-10 08:59:06 UTC
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 20:19:06 +0000, Anne B <***@btinternet.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Anne B
I had been getting progressively more and more fed up at Tesco
discontinuing the particular items I liked, because their share of the
market is so big that if they discontinue a particular line, in most
cases that line is then discontinued altogether by the manufacturer.
It felt as if they had someone in their buying office who watched what I
was buying and then decided to spite me by stopping stocking all my
favourite things.
I know that feeling and have experienced it from all the big supermarkets I
have ever used. You're not paranoid, they _are_ out to disappoint you.
"There's no call for it."
2020-02-10 09:57:07 UTC
Post by Anne B
I had been getting progressively more and more fed up at Tesco
discontinuing the particular items I liked, because their share of the
market is so big that if they discontinue a particular line, in most
cases that line is then discontinued altogether by the manufacturer.
It felt as if they had someone in their buying office who watched what I
was buying and then decided to spite me by stopping stocking all my
favourite things.
I know that feeling and have experienced it from all the big supermarkets I
have ever used. You're not paranoid, they _are_ out to disappoint you.
"There's no call for it."
YANAOU

I note that Nectar reported that last year I was Sainsbury's
Loughborough store #1 customer for their low fat Greek yogurt, so
I am concerned that it may be in peril.

OTOH, nowadays I pop into Tesco for a few things I can't get in
Sainsbury's.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-02-10 10:31:30 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Anne B
[...]
Whereas for me it's the other way round. Our local Tesco's is
accesssible on foot and is quite good (and therefore is going to close
the year after next, leaving a large part of the population of central
Lewisham without a large supermarket within walking range) but the
nearest Sainsbury's is dire. Always running out of stuff, never reducing
stuff, generally more expensive than Tesco. By far the best for value,
though I need a car to use it effectively, is Lidl, but again you can't
rely on any particular product being available.
2020-02-10 11:20:04 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Anne B
[...]
Ah, Lewisham:
Possibly untrue but,
It is said that when ‘Goodnight Vienna’ was performed in Lewisham, it did
not fare very well box-office wise; when asked how well it was doing, the
theatre manager was reported to have said ‘“Goodnight Vienna” is doing as
well in Lewisham as “Goodnight Lewisham” would be likely to do in Vienna.’
2020-02-10 15:25:09 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Anne B
[...]
Might have been true, though there's no theatre in Lewisham - the
nearest theatre is in Catford and is actually a rather splendid Art Deco
number which does very well with panto and touring shows, but also with
amateur/semi-pro operatic society productions. It's true I've never seen
Goodnight Vienna advertised there. Perhaps they've heard the joke too
many times...
Min
2020-02-11 00:10:40 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Anne B
[...]
My beef with Sainsbury's Local (Widderhins) is their 'meal deal', which used to
be excellent at £3 but is now dreadful. Mousetrap cheese, liquefied with onion
or a sort of tuna mush just about covers it. Whereas the Co-Op (either way) can get me a delicious deep filled sandwich, a box of cocktail sausages or chicken
satay with sweet chili and 500ml of coconut water - over £7 of RRP for £3.50.
Min
Rosemary Miskin
2020-02-10 10:34:37 UTC
I note that Nectar reported that last year I was Sainsbury's
Loughborough store #1 customer for their low fat Greek yogurt,
While I was their 14th biggest buyer of red grapefruit!

Rosemary
Sam Plusnet
2020-02-11 00:19:07 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Chris J Dixon
I note that Nectar reported that last year I was Sainsbury's
Loughborough store #1 customer for their low fat Greek yogurt,
While I was their 14th biggest buyer of red grapefruit!
If they've ever mentioned such things to me I've never bothered to read it.
I think that sort of "We are watching you" message is off-putting - even
though I realise that the data is being collected.
2020-02-12 15:19:45 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
I note that Nectar reported that last year I was Sainsbury's
Loughborough store #1 customer for their low fat Greek yogurt,
While I was their 14th biggest buyer of red grapefruit!
Rosemary
LOL? Not whatever you feed to your moggy? (Or do you no longer have the
moggy I’m thinking of? The one you enrolled in taste tests for cat food)

Sincerely Chris
Rosemary Miskin
2020-02-12 17:42:43 UTC
Chris asked
 (Or do you no longer have the
moggy I’m thinking of?  The one you enrolled in taste tests for cat food)
No, sadly she left us some years ago, so we are moggyless now. She was
an adult when she came to us, do we weren't sure of her age, but she was
at least 16 when she died.

The cat-food testing was quite fun - especially the variety she spat out, so the
'weight after feeding ' was slightly higher than the ' initial weight '!

And I still use the electronic scales she was given to weigh her meals
before and after feeding.

Rosemary
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-02-12 20:03:34 UTC
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 17:42:44 UTC, Rosemary Miskin wrote:

<snipped>
Post by Rosemary Miskin
No, sadly she left us some years ago, so we are moggyless now. She was
an adult when she came to us, do we weren't sure of her age, but she was
at least 16 when she died.
sorry about your catlessness.

But if this were some of the Facebook groups I follow there would be pictures of your cat (and many other cats).
Sally Thompson
2020-02-13 06:51:09 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
<snipped>
Post by Rosemary Miskin
No, sadly she left us some years ago, so we are moggyless now. She was
an adult when she came to us, do we weren't sure of her age, but she was
at least 16 when she died.
sorry about your catlessness.
But if this were some of the Facebook groups I follow there would be
pictures of your cat (and many other cats).
I thought that was the sole purpose of Facebook.
2020-02-13 21:27:45 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
No, sadly she left us some years ago, so we are moggyless now. She was
an adult when she came to us, do we weren't sure of her age, but she was
at least 16 when she died.
sorry about your catlessness.
But if this were some of the Facebook groups I follow there would be
pictures of your cat (and many other cats).
I thought that was the sole purpose of Facebook.
It looks like a number of small local enterprises run their whole
business on Facebook - which is a shame since Wofe and I don't _do_
Facebook.

We wanted someone to come and collect our old dishwasher which has badly
let us down after such a short time.
This means were are having to buy a 21st Century model. Disgraceful!
2020-02-13 08:17:02 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
No, sadly she left us some years ago, so we are moggyless now. She was
an adult when she came to us, do we weren't sure of her age, but she was
at least 16 when she died.
sorry about your catlessness.
But if this were some of the Facebook groups I follow there would be
pictures of your cat (and many other cats).
Not a ‘Donald’ site I hope!
2020-02-13 15:25:07 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Chris asked
 (Or do you no longer have the
moggy I’m thinking of?  The one you enrolled in taste tests for cat food)
No, sadly she left us some years ago, so we are moggyless now. She was
an adult when she came to us, do we weren't sure of her age, but she was
at least 16 when she died.
The cat-food testing was quite fun - especially the variety she spat out, so the
'weight after feeding ' was slightly higher than the ' initial weight '!
And I still use the electronic scales she was given to weigh her meals
before and after feeding.
Rosemary
You can never forget cats like her.

2020-02-10 17:44:51 UTC
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 09:57:07 +0000, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Anne B
I had been getting progressively more and more fed up at Tesco
discontinuing the particular items I liked, because their share of the
market is so big that if they discontinue a particular line, in most
cases that line is then discontinued altogether by the manufacturer.
It felt as if they had someone in their buying office who watched what I
was buying and then decided to spite me by stopping stocking all my
favourite things.
I know that feeling and have experienced it from all the big supermarkets I
have ever used. You're not paranoid, they _are_ out to disappoint you.
"There's no call for it."
YANAOU
I note that Nectar reported that last year I was Sainsbury's
Loughborough store #1 customer for their low fat Greek yogurt, so
I am concerned that it may be in peril.
I've been told it's my own fault - I don't shop every day or every week -
their favourite type of customer.
I mostly use 3 different supermarkets and buy different things in each of
them.
I tend to 'stock up' in case of bad weather or ill health - siege mentality
developed over years of living some distance from the shops.

I am pretty sure to visit any of the 3 supermarkets at least once a month
but this is not frequent enough, messes with their stock levels, doesn't
fit their algorithms or whatever.
2020-02-11 00:23:08 UTC
I've been told it's my own fault - I don't shop every day or every week -
their favourite type of customer.
I mostly use 3 different supermarkets and buy different things in each of
them.
I tend to 'stock up' in case of bad weather or ill health - siege mentality
developed over years of living some distance from the shops.
I am pretty sure to visit any of the 3 supermarkets at least once a month
but this is not frequent enough, messes with their stock levels, doesn't
fit their algorithms or whatever.
Perhaps their algorithms are looking for ways to convert you into an
entirely loyal consumer.
On the other hand, they might opt for delete and replace.
2020-02-11 23:27:24 UTC
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 00:23:08 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
I've been told it's my own fault - I don't shop every day or every week -
their favourite type of customer.
I mostly use 3 different supermarkets and buy different things in each of
them.
I tend to 'stock up' in case of bad weather or ill health - siege mentality
developed over years of living some distance from the shops.
I am pretty sure to visit any of the 3 supermarkets at least once a month
but this is not frequent enough, messes with their stock levels, doesn't
fit their algorithms or whatever.
Perhaps their algorithms are looking for ways to convert you into an
entirely loyal consumer.
On the other hand, they might opt for delete and replace.
On every Morrisons receipt is an invitation to give feedback - mostly a
multiple choice form. I have delighted in telling them that by
discontinuing an item they have given me a reason to shop in eTsco instead
and at least one item has been put back on their inventory - hurrah!

However, I have suggested many times that giving space to 6 different
versions of frozen peas and no space at all to frozen broad beans is
ridiculous but they are still doing it :(
2020-02-09 14:21:26 UTC
I added the "if I've heard of them" as Lidl (and Aldi? There isn't one
convenient for me so I don't know) seem to sell most of their own-brand
stuff under invented names, rather than their own. (Usually, if you read
the small print, it says "made exclusively for Lidl by/in ...".) Other
chains do too, but mostly don't try as hard - using only one or two
names, which you soon learn. (Tesco latest wrinkle has been to resurrect
the name of the company they started out as.)
[P. S.: I originally typed "Tesco's", then came back to edit it
(Turnpike holds for a minute for such second thoughts, which I often
find useful!). Calling the chain Tesco just feels wrong, but I think is
correct (it was originally - and on the resurrected products - something
"co.").]
Tesco's would have been correct. The company name is Tesco and you were
referring to their latest wrinkle, so an "'s" appended to the name would
be correct.

<https://www.tesco.com/>
Sometimes I sits and thinks... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)
steveski
2020-02-08 21:51:24 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.
Good grief! Happy hippoes, Pauline :-)
2020-02-09 12:25:39 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.
Best wishes to SODAM for her birthday tomorrow.
Pauline (now based at Woodbridge)
Oh happy birthday, Pauline. No more lurking please!!

From us McTs
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-09 18:24:32 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Thank you very much. I am stil lurking around.
Best wishes to SODAM for her birthday tomorrow.
Pauline (now based at Woodbridge)
Good to hear from you, Pauline.

SODAM
2020-02-08 23:08:17 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 February: Pauline Young.
Pauline! Didn’t see you there. Step forward into the light and receive your
virtual birthday bouquets.

Many happy returns of 8th Feb, old girl, and thank you for my pre- birthday
greeting.
Mike
2020-02-09 09:31:19 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 February: Pauline Young.
Pauline! Didn’t see you there. Step forward into the light and receive your
virtual birthday bouquets.
Many happy returns of 8th Feb, old girl, and thank you for my pre- birthday
greeting.
And don’t forget that the Birthday Reception Hall is still open in the
Choccy Bunker!