UMRA birthday info for 26 July 2020
Add Reply
Birthday Monitor
2020-07-26 06:22:30 UTC
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
2020-07-26 07:33:50 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
2020-07-26 14:39:40 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
2020-07-26 16:06:58 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
Kate’s reply to any such question would probably be along the lines of:
‘Who?’
2020-07-26 16:09:50 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
‘Who?’
Isn’t it nice to have characters one can hate? It is just that in that
family, there are two (sisters).
I dislike Kate more than Alice.
krw
2020-07-26 18:56:04 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
‘Who?’
Isn’t it nice to have characters one can hate? It is just that in that
family, there are two (sisters).
I dislike Kate more than Alice.
I don't remember Alice being historically as unlikeable as Kate but
assume the alcoholism is affecting my judgement.
2020-07-26 19:16:13 UTC
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
‘Who?’
Isn’t it nice to have characters one can hate? It is just that in that
family, there are two (sisters).
I dislike Kate more than Alice.
I don't remember Alice being historically as unlikeable as Kate but
assume the alcoholism is affecting my judgement.
I remember quite liking Alice: definitely seemed bright, and into
science/engineering. Even the marriage; cocked a snook. Then she got
silly. Not sure if that _coincided_ with the alcoholism. They're
certainly laying that on now with an industrial-sized trowel, aren't
they.

"To YOU I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition." - Woody Allen
Penny
2020-07-26 19:50:02 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 20:16:13 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
‘Who?’
Isn’t it nice to have characters one can hate? It is just that in that
family, there are two (sisters).
I dislike Kate more than Alice.
I don't remember Alice being historically as unlikeable as Kate but
assume the alcoholism is affecting my judgement.
I remember quite liking Alice: definitely seemed bright, and into
science/engineering. Even the marriage; cocked a snook. Then she got
silly. Not sure if that _coincided_ with the alcoholism. They're
certainly laying that on now with an industrial-sized trowel, aren't
they.
Can someone remind me what happened to Alice when she was at university? I
have a vague recollection of her coming home at one point following some
problem, probably with a boyfriend. She must have gone back because she did
finish her degree... didn't she?
2020-07-26 20:30:59 UTC
[...]
There was an Ambridge Extra story and therefore it had no impact on the
real story. She was drinking then as I recall.
2020-07-27 09:20:16 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I remember quite liking Alice: definitely seemed bright, and into
science/engineering. Even the marriage; cocked a snook. Then she got
silly. Not sure if that _coincided_ with the alcoholism. They're
certainly laying that on now with an industrial-sized trowel, aren't
they.
Can someone remind me what happened to Alice when she was at university? I
have a vague recollection of her coming home at one point following some
problem, probably with a boyfriend. She must have gone back because she did
finish her degree... didn't she?
We had 3 of our evening meals at a really nice fish restaurant [1] and
were served each night by a really excellent waitress. On the 3rd night
I said to the old nonna sat by the door what good service she'd given us
and was told she was really her grandmother.

As it was quiet we talked a while to the waitress and asked where she'd
learnt such good English "At univerity in Turin" "Ah, what was your
degree ?" "Aeronautical Engineering". She's not expecting to be using
her degree any time soon :(

[1] PuntadeMare M'lud, on a point overlooking the sea (we saw Corsica
from there one clear spring day) between Arma di Taggia and Bussana
Beach where we were staying.
krw
2020-07-27 10:46:55 UTC
"Aeronautical Engineering". She's not expecting to be using her degree
any time soon
An Italian Alice - was she drinking much?
2020-07-27 11:13:54 UTC
"Aeronautical Engineering". She's not expecting to be using her degree
any time soon
An Italian Alice - was she drinking much?
Not when we were watching. OTOH I ordered a Montenegro digestivo the
first night and she said they didn't have it so I did a mock distress
and "noooaaaahhhh" so she then said what and came back with one, so she
obviously knew where the good stuff was stashed.
Penny
2020-07-27 10:55:12 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 11:20:16 +0200, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
As it was quiet we talked a while to the waitress and asked where she'd
learnt such good English "At univerity in Turin"
I'm now wondering what the single truth is in those parts...
2020-07-27 11:15:58 UTC
Eh ? <self-whoosh>
Sally Thompson
D'oh ! How unobervant...
Nick Odell
2020-07-27 05:28:01 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
‘Who?’
Isn’t it nice to have characters one can hate? It is just that in that
family, there are two (sisters).
I dislike Kate more than Alice.
I don't remember Alice being historically as unlikeable as Kate but
assume the alcoholism is affecting my judgement.
I think that is very brave of you, KRW. Now that you have taken the
first step and gone public in umra you will find it easier to proceed
down the path to sobriety. We are all friends here and urge you
forward on your way to full recovery.

Erme - I've got it wrong again, haven't I?

2020-07-27 08:39:25 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
‘Who?’
Isn’t it nice to have characters one can hate? It is just that in that
family, there are two (sisters).
I dislike Kate more than Alice.
I don't remember Alice being historically as unlikeable as Kate but
assume the alcoholism is affecting my judgement.
I think that is very brave of you, KRW. Now that you have taken the
first step and gone public in umra you will find it easier to proceed
down the path to sobriety. We are all friends here and urge you
forward on your way to full recovery.
Erme - I've got it wrong again, haven't I?
Nick
Thank you I am sure I need all the help which is available. Having
finally managed to convince the medical profession that there is
something wrong with me I have to go off for various tests tomorrow
morning and have at least one appointment with a consultant which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand operation
meanders along (different hospital I might give them a phone call to see
if there is any progress) but at least one more blood test booked and
after the morning tests I have to see another medical professional in
the afternoon - and I actually mean see(!) - so when do I have time to
drink anything?
2020-07-27 10:56:05 UTC
Thank you I am sure I need all the help which is available.  Having
finally managed to convince the medical profession that there is
something wrong with me I have to go off for various tests tomorrow
morning and have at least one appointment with a consultant which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand operation
meanders along (different hospital I might give them a phone call to see
if there is any progress) but at least one more blood test booked and
after the morning tests    I have to see another medical professional in
the afternoon - and I actually mean see(!) - so when do I have time to
drink anything?
Good luck with your assorted tests. I hope they give the results you're
hoping for.
One of the universal rules of happiness is: always be wary of any
helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
(Terry Pratchett)
John Ashby
2020-07-27 11:03:09 UTC
Thank you I am sure I need all the help which is available.  Having
finally managed to convince the medical profession that there is
something wrong with me I have to go off for various tests tomorrow
morning and have at least one appointment with a consultant which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand
operation meanders along (different hospital I might give them a phone
call to see if there is any progress) but at least one more blood test
booked and after the morning tests    I have to see another medical
professional in the afternoon - and I actually mean see(!) - so when
do I have time to drink anything?
Good luck with your assorted tests.  I hope they give the results you're
hoping for.
As with so many 16 and 18 year olds.

<LW>
Sid Nuncius
2020-07-27 19:08:29 UTC
Thank you I am sure I need all the help which is available.  Having
finally managed to convince the medical profession that there is
something wrong with me I have to go off for various tests tomorrow
morning and have at least one appointment with a consultant which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand
operation meanders along (different hospital I might give them a
phone call to see if there is any progress) but at least one more
blood test booked and after the morning tests    I have to see
another medical professional in the afternoon - and I actually mean
see(!) - so when do I have time to drink anything?
Good luck with your assorted tests.  I hope they give the results
you're hoping for.
<LW>
And a <lw> from me, too.
Best wishes for good results to tests and the consultation.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-07-27 15:30:15 UTC
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 at 09:39:25, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
Thank you I am sure I need all the help which is available. Having
finally managed to convince the medical profession that there is
something wrong with me I have to go off for various tests tomorrow
morning and have at least one appointment with a consultant which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand
operation meanders along (different hospital I might give them a phone
Hmm. Not sure I'd be too keen on a second hand operation, unless that
means a transplant ...

(Actually I've still got the dead little finger. First-world problem if
there ever was one; doesn't hurt so not pursuing. I _did_ ask, and the
next stage is MRI - or similar initialled imaging - of my neck, and the
relevant facilities are backed up and will be for months, so I'm
waiting.)
Post by krw
call to see if there is any progress) but at least one more blood test
booked and after the morning tests I have to see another medical
professional in the afternoon - and I actually mean see(!) - so when do
I have time to drink anything?
(-:. I hope "different hospital" doesn't result in both making the
appointment at the same time, or at least so close on the same day that
you can't go between them. And that all turns out well, of course.

Apologies to [those] who may have been harmed by the scientific inaccuracies
in this post. - Roger Tilbury in UMRA, 2018-3-14
Steve Hague
2020-07-27 16:05:43 UTC
(Actually I've still got the dead little finger. First-world problem if
there ever was one; doesn't hurt so not pursuing. I _did_ ask, and the
next stage is MRI - or similar initialled imaging - of my neck, and the
relevant facilities are backed up and will be for months, so I'm waiting.)
call to see if there is any progress) but at least one more blood test
booked and after the morning tests      I have to see another medical
professional in the afternoon - and I actually mean see(!) - so when
do I have time to drink anything?
(-:. I hope "different hospital" doesn't result in both making the
appointment at the same time, or at least so close on the same day that
you can't go between them. And that all turns out well, of course.
The little finger on my left hand has been numb for a couple of years
now, but having seen the state of some of the people in the stroke unit
I was in last month, I won't be bothering the medical proffesion with my
need to pick my nose only with my right hand.😊
2020-07-27 21:37:44 UTC
Thank you I am sure I need all the help which is available.  Having
finally managed to convince the medical profession that there is
something wrong with me I have to go off for various tests tomorrow
morning and have at least one appointment with a consultant which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand operation
meanders along (different hospital I might give them a phone call to see
if there is any progress) but at least one more blood test booked and
after the morning tests    I have to see another medical professional in
the afternoon - and I actually mean see(!) - so when do I have time to
drink anything?
Wofe gave blood last Thursday[1] and (as usual) they insisted that she
drink a great deal.
They only let her off the last third of the large 'glass' of water when
she threatened to be sick if forced to drink any more.

[1] I'm no longer fit for purpose in current circumstances, since I
passed the magic number of 70.
2020-07-28 07:52:28 UTC
[...]
When I was having radiotherapy last year for cancer of the prostate, I was
required to drink reservoirs full (or so it seemed) of water each treatment
day in advance of treatment.... there were a few days when treatment had to
be ‘postponed’ if there were delays in appointment times as there was a
need to.... [lost carrier]
2020-07-28 18:55:15 UTC
When I was having radiotherapy last year for cancer of the prostate, I was
required to drink reservoirs full (or so it seemed) of water each treatment
day in advance of treatment.... there were a few days when treatment had to
be ‘postponed’ if there were delays in appointment times as there was a
need to.... [lost carrier]
Wouldn't that be "drink reservoirs dry"?
Min
2020-07-27 23:03:15 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
[...]
Best of luck, KRW! At least 3 years ago, I drove a pyrocanthus (sp?) thorn
into my thumb (hitting the bone). After consulting many disbelieving doctors,
I gave up. Said thorn is now coming out....
Min
Chris McMillan
2020-07-28 15:18:28 UTC
which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand operation
Where did you leave the first hand?

(Sorry: couldn’t resist). Hope this now has a date

Dates with your hand ? <boggle>
Chris McMillan
2020-07-31 11:40:20 UTC
which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand operation
Where did you leave the first hand?
(Sorry: couldn’t resist). Hope this now has a date
Dates with your hand ? <boggle>
Glad to see you’re on the ball, Britters.

If it's on the ball you're doing it wrong.
krw
2020-07-28 15:38:25 UTC
Thank you I am sure I need all the help which is available.  Having
finally managed to convince the medical profession that there is
something wrong with me I have to go off for various tests tomorrow
morning and have at least one appointment with a consultant which has
yet to be arranged whilst the ongoing wait for the second hand operation
meanders along (different hospital I might give them a phone call to see
if there is any progress) but at least one more blood test booked and
after the morning tests    I have to see another medical professional in
the afternoon - and I actually mean see(!) - so when do I have time to
drink anything?
I realise it is rude to follow myself up and I offer apologies.

I would like to congratulate Aldershot Health Centre on some excellent
service this morning.

I arrived about 10 minutes in advance of the booked screening time and
was greeted by staff who took my temperature and admitted me to the holy
premises beyond. My booking was found and I was directed to a waiting
area where I was called from almost exactly on the appointed minute.

Once that had been done I returned to reception where I made them aware
of the need for an xray and handed over the form and was pointed at
another chair.

I was leaving the building about 45 minutes after my initial arrival
having been courteously seen by the medical staff and promises that the
outcome of the xray would be with the gp in 2 days and the scan result
would reach the doctor in about a week.

I went there for something else a couple of years ago and I remember
that they were equally organised and speedy. I now it is a relatively
new facility and has presumably had a lot of investment - but it seems
to work and I am impressed.

I have less certainty that the actual results will be as welcome!
2020-07-28 19:18:32 UTC
I would like to congratulate Aldershot Health Centre on some excellent
service this morning.
That's good to hear.
Post by krw
I have less certainty that the actual results will be as welcome!
Fingers crossed.
Morality is doing what's right regardless of what you're told. Obedience
is doing what you're told regardless of what is right (H.L. Mencken)
krw
2020-07-28 19:41:37 UTC
Post by krw
I have less certainty that the actual results will be as welcome!
Fingers crossed.
You might recall that I said that the xray result would be with the
doctor in two days but I don't think I said that they said I should
phone the surgery then to get the results.

Dinner was in process of being consumed this evening when the phone
tells me that the "Doc Surgery" is calling.

Apparently Dr P has seen the xray result and needs to talk to me. So an
appointment has been fixed for two weeks' time. So it might be serious
but not urgent!

The problem is liver related apparently so don't know why I am
breathless because that is not a common symptom. Heart and lungs are
clear apparently.

So the service received today has been absolutely first class. Even if
there is no diagnosis or treatment so far!
2020-07-28 21:27:00 UTC
Post by krw
I have less certainty that the actual results will be as welcome!
Fingers crossed.
You might recall that I said that the xray result would be with the
doctor in two days but I don't think I said that they said I should
phone the surgery then to get the results.
Dinner was in process of being consumed this evening when the phone
tells me that the "Doc Surgery" is calling.
Apparently Dr P has seen the xray result and needs to talk to me. So an
appointment has been fixed for two weeks' time. So it might be serious
but not urgent!
The problem is liver related apparently so don't know why I am
breathless because that is not a common symptom. Heart and lungs are
clear apparently.
So the service received today has been absolutely first class. Even if
there is no diagnosis or treatment so far!
That does sound like good service. It must be reassuring to know they
are so efficient. Hopefully they can sort you out easily.
Chris McMillan
2020-07-31 11:40:19 UTC
I have less certainty that the actual results will be as welcome!
Still hoping for the best.

We had a call from Wokingham Community Hospital yesterday to ask if Mike
could go to podiatry in Monday. It wasn’t the lady who generally rings so
I asked why I hadn’t got mine as we’re booked as a pair. I accepted Mike’s
time and within ten mind, she was back. The appts are being sorted by nhs
number. She can see our history and was able to give me one an hr later.
BONUS. The WRVS coffee bar is open.

Downside. Same lady today, very apologetic. Can I change to Tues? I
can. Still going for the ride and the coffee on Mon.

Audiology, cancer unit and podiatry are all friendly and nothing’s too
much, unlike the Eye dept which used to be just like that but is now at
gone breaking point and even the consultants have lost their bedside
manners: thought coming from overseas they may not know they need them.
Optometry and the low vision clinics are less visited but the same is true.
Friendly and understanding of the elderly foibles.

Just all our annual eye appointments to be organised now. Thanks to McT’s
dental trip, I inoe the score there.

2020-07-31 11:49:31 UTC
I have less certainty that the actual results will be as welcome!
Still hoping for the best.
We had a call from ...
Whereas I just had one from one of those no-fault insurance handlers. As
usual I reply to the automated bit with "Yes, I WAS involved in an
accident and killed 73 people at a bus stop. But it wasn't my fault".

Usually they hang up on me but this time I got through to a human. I
repeated my spiel. Stunned silence, so I signed off with "F*** off you
spamming c**t". Number added to block list :)
Steve Hague
2020-07-31 18:23:45 UTC
I have less certainty that the actual results will be as welcome!
Still hoping for the best.
We had a call from ...
Whereas I just had one from one of those no-fault insurance handlers. As
 usual I reply to the automated bit with "Yes, I WAS involved in an
accident and killed 73 people at a bus stop. But it wasn't my fault".
I usually put on my best country yokel voice and start with "Not really
my fault, more six of one, half a dozen of the other". I gradually
reveal that I'd been drinking heavily at the time, and although the
other driver was clearly at much at fault as I was, the judge saw fit to
take away my driving licence. I've still been offered help from the
insurance handler.
:)
krw
2020-08-01 11:47:03 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I have less certainty that the actual results will be as welcome!
Still hoping for the best.
We had a call from ...
Whereas I just had one from one of those no-fault insurance handlers.
As   usual I reply to the automated bit with "Yes, I WAS involved in
an accident and killed 73 people at a bus stop. But it wasn't my fault".
I usually put on my best country yokel voice and start with "Not
really my fault, more six of one, half a dozen of the other". I
gradually reveal that I'd been drinking heavily at the time, and
although the other driver was clearly at much at fault as I was, the
judge saw fit to take away my driving licence. I've still been offered
help from the insurance handler.
:)
I pressed 2 after a call from Amazon Prime recently and and asked how
they were going to cancel something which did not exist.
2020-08-01 13:25:11 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
[...]
Perhaps they were offering to deliver some spam sandwiches with a scam
pickle free of charge...
2020-07-31 12:32:29 UTC
[...]
Sincerely Chris
Did we mention the second hand operation not being in the medical mix.
Well the lovely Sally phoned yesterday - would I like 20 August? They
are bidding on slots in the operating theatre for the surgeon and if his
number comes up so does mine! I would rather win the real lottery but
never mind.

Have to be covid swabbed at the horpsital on the Monday and then three
days of isolation until the Thursday, unless they change the rules.
Except I have another medical appointment in another horpsital on the
Monday.

Anyway further call today, the lottery balls are still up in the air but
they can do the swab in the afternoon (and the other appointment is in
the morning) so that should work.

I did think to ask how I isolate between the covid test at the hospital
(on the Monday) and going to the hospital on the Thursday - but
apparently travelling back and forth is permitted ... I am not sure they
understand isolation.

Anyone bored with medical stories sorry!
I knew someone else would comment, as I'm sure Kosmo intended :)
BrritSki
Yours or hers ? ;)
Steve Hague
2020-07-27 14:57:33 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
‘Who?’
Isn’t it nice to have characters one can hate? It is just that in that
family, there are two (sisters).
I dislike Kate more than Alice.
I don't remember Alice being historically as unlikeable as Kate but
assume the alcoholism is affecting my judgement.
OK, I'll bite. Have you spoken to AA?
2020-07-27 14:59:34 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 26 July: Sipho Madikane.
Extra ‘E’s’ today?
Does anyone ever mention either of them?
‘Who?’
Isn’t it nice to have characters one can hate? It is just that in that
family, there are two (sisters).
I dislike Kate more than Alice.
I don't remember Alice being historically as unlikeable as Kate but
assume the alcoholism is affecting my judgement.
OK, I'll bite. Have you spoken to AA?
Steve
I think I am with Green Flag. The wife is away so I don't know if she
has had an accident but if she has no doubt you will be able to tell me
which hospital she is in? Rehearsing comments for the next caller
(which will probably be for Amazon Prime renewal anyway - they are no
fun because it is a recording).