Energy companies
2020-09-08 20:20:15 UTC
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy. Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme? If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control
what goes on inside. (Wayne Dwer)
Serena Blanchflower
2020-09-08 20:24:00 UTC
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy.  Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme?  If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
PS - If I'm misremembering and it isn't Ovo which has been highly
recommended by umrats, which company/ies are thought to be good ones.
If the company I end up going with offers a referral scheme, I'm very
willing to refer the appropriate umrat.
The cat is domestic only as far as suits its own ends... (Saki)
Vicky Ayech
2020-09-08 20:35:12 UTC
On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 21:24:00 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy.  Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme?  If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
PS - If I'm misremembering and it isn't Ovo which has been highly
recommended by umrats, which company/ies are thought to be good ones.
If the company I end up going with offers a referral scheme, I'm very
willing to refer the appropriate umrat.
I think it was bulb. I am with them.
www.bulb.me/vicky4393?utm_campaign=account-referral-share&utm_medium=copy-link&utm_source=copy-button

if I am first :)
Penny
2020-09-08 22:45:19 UTC
On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 21:35:12 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 21:24:00 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy.  Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme?  If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
PS - If I'm misremembering and it isn't Ovo which has been highly
recommended by umrats, which company/ies are thought to be good ones.
If the company I end up going with offers a referral scheme, I'm very
willing to refer the appropriate umrat.
I think it was bulb. I am with them.
www.bulb.me/vicky4393?utm_campaign=account-referral-share&utm_medium=copy-link&utm_source=copy-button
if I am first :)
It was bulb - I joined on Fenny's referral.

I'm not terribly happy with them at the moment as the so-called smart meter
they had fitted stopped being so clever back in April (after just 6 months)
and I've been exchanging emails with them about it ever since. They have,
apparently, been remotely rebooting it which probably accounts for the
scary day the display told me my gas usage was £99,999 over budget for the
week, a little while ago. It still doesn't send any electricity data
though.

Apart from that, they seem to be as daft as all the others when it comes to
understanding how budgeting works. Here we are at the end of summer and
they want to refund me some money and cut my dd payment because I'm in
credit - I should think I would be after the hot Spring when my roof was
generating lots. It won't take long to get through the credit amount as the
cold weather arrives. I always reckon my account balance should be around
zero in April - why would they think otherwise?
2020-09-09 08:09:26 UTC
[...]
Yes, I'm with Bulb too and also think that their DD algorithm is about
as good as the one for A level results. They suggest I decrease as well,
but I'm keeping it the same.

Apart from that I think they are really good. They accept my meter
readings every month and respond quickly. I went with them on umra's
suggestion as I needed to change to someone who would put me on their
FIT scheme.

I don't have a smart meter, so no experience with that.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-09 14:25:58 UTC
On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 09:09:26, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
Yes, I'm with Bulb too and also think that their DD algorithm is about
as good as the one for A level results. They suggest I decrease as
well, but I'm keeping it the same.
[]
Especially if they let you set the amount, I can't see why they're so
against payment by standing order (all of them, not just Bulb - I
haven't tried them).

Or rather, I _do_ know why they prefer direct debit, but I've yet to
hear _any_ representative of any energy company admit that reason.

At the end of the day, I wasn't asking to kill the pandas, I was simply asking
for an audit in terms of conservation resources, and I stand by every word.
-Chris Packham, quoted in Radio Times, 29 May - 4 June 2010
Serena Blanchflower
2020-09-09 13:59:08 UTC
On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 21:24:00 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy.  Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme?  If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
PS - If I'm misremembering and it isn't Ovo which has been highly
recommended by umrats, which company/ies are thought to be good ones.
If the company I end up going with offers a referral scheme, I'm very
willing to refer the appropriate umrat.
I think it was bulb. I am with them.
www.bulb.me/vicky4393?utm_campaign=account-referral-share&utm_medium=copy-link&utm_source=copy-button
if I am first :)
I have gone with Bulb but I'm not sure you're going to get any benefit.
I made the switch through Give as you Live (so that some, at least of
the referral fee will go to Invest in ME), and that didn't allow for any
additional referral. If I get the chance to tell them that Vicky had
recommended them though, I will take it.
Save the Earth - It's our only source of chocolate
Vicky Ayech
2020-09-09 17:15:34 UTC
On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 14:59:08 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
[...]
That's fine. Some money to ME is a good thing. Another plus is the
bulb website is a good one to use. I don't know about the sites for
the other companies.
Sid Nuncius
2020-09-09 18:04:27 UTC
I have gone with Bulb but I'm not sure you're going to get any benefit.
I made the switch through Give as you Live (so that some, at least of
the referral fee will go to Invest in ME), and that didn't allow for any
additional referral.  If I get the chance to tell them that Vicky had
recommended them though, I will take it.
I'm with Bulb and have been happy with them. I doubt you'll regret it.

(I'm simply ignoring their repeated offers of a smart meter for now.
I'm not convinced that the technology is sufficiently reliable to be
worth it yet.)
2020-09-09 19:11:12 UTC
I'm with Bulb and have been happy with them. I doubt you'll regret it.
Thanks. That's reassuring.
Post by Sid Nuncius
(I'm simply ignoring their repeated offers of a smart meter for now. I'm
not convinced that the technology is sufficiently reliable to be worth
it yet.)
I've had a supposedly smart meter for a few years and have never
persuaded it to give me any sensible, or helpful, information (to be
fair, I haven't tried very hard). The big advantage, as far as I'm
concerned, is that I haven't needed to worry about providing meter
readings as, even if it won't tell me anything helpful, it clearly does
phone home at suitable intervals and provides the necessary readings.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.
(Terry Pratchett)
Jenny M Benson
2020-09-09 21:23:45 UTC
I've had a supposedly smart meter for a few years and have never
persuaded it to give me any sensible, or helpful, information (to be
fair, I haven't tried very hard).
The most attention I give to mine is to shout at "I KNOW I'm using a lot
of fuel - I'm boiling the kettle/drying the washing/cooking the dinner -
you stupid thing!" from time to time, as appropriate.

Once it shouted at me, which was a bit scary until I realised what it
was. I manage to tell it never to do that again.
Wrexham, UK
Mike
2020-09-10 09:35:16 UTC
The most attention I give to mine is to shout at "I KNOW I'm using a lot
of fuel - I'm boiling the kettle/drying the washing/cooking the dinner -
you stupid thing!" from time to time, as appropriate.
Once it shouted at me, which was a bit scary until I realised what it
was. I manage to tell it never to do that again.
???
It normally shows a little green light, but if I dare to consume
anything more than smidgen of electricity it shows a red light. Once it
bleeped loudly like a smoke or heat alarm.
Wrexham, UK
Mike
2020-09-10 11:35:27 UTC
The most attention I give to mine is to shout at "I KNOW I'm using a lot
of fuel - I'm boiling the kettle/drying the washing/cooking the dinner -
you stupid thing!" from time to time, as appropriate.
Once it shouted at me, which was a bit scary until I realised what it
was. I manage to tell it never to do that again.
???
It normally shows a little green light, but if I dare to consume
anything more than smidgen of electricity it shows a red light. Once it
bleeped loudly like a smoke or heat alarm.
I think your meter needs house-training!
2020-09-09 22:13:38 UTC
On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 20:11:12, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Sid Nuncius
(I'm simply ignoring their repeated offers of a smart meter for now.
I'm not convinced that the technology is sufficiently reliable to be
worth it yet.)
I've had a supposedly smart meter for a few years and have never
persuaded it to give me any sensible, or helpful, information (to be
fair, I haven't tried very hard). The big advantage, as far as I'm
concerned, is that I haven't needed to worry about providing meter
readings as, even if it won't tell me anything helpful, it clearly does
phone home at suitable intervals and provides the necessary readings.
Yes, the ability to avoid the necessity to be in for readings was the
reason I let them fit one. (Unfortunately they [Octopus pretending to be
M&S] fitted a type 1, so it reverts to being dumb if I switch to other
than a limited number of companies.)

The sending in readings is the meter; the telling you information is the
little room gadget they give you to keep in the room. Of the one or two
I've seen, they'll tell you what you're using now, or have today (in kWh
or pounds) - some will tell you the same for the past week or month,
sometimes as a crude bar-graph. Not sure what else I would expect them
to tell me. ("Now" often has a resolution of half an hour for gas; the
thing on the gas meter that sends out the readings has to run on a
battery, and to give a reasonable number of years' life therefrom, it
doesn't do so that often. [The electric one has access to power, of
course. The gas meter talks to the electric one, and the electric one
talks to the supplier and to your gadget.])

Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of
them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for
science intact. - Carl Sagan (interview w. Psychology Today published '96-1-1)
Chris J Dixon
2020-09-10 07:20:47 UTC
The sending in readings is the meter; the telling you information is the
little room gadget they give you to keep in the room. Of the one or two
I've seen, they'll tell you what you're using now, or have today (in kWh
or pounds) - some will tell you the same for the past week or month,
sometimes as a crude bar-graph. Not sure what else I would expect them
to tell me.
Way back when they started to discuss the specification for Smart
Meters I used to keep up with the details, and one key
requirement was that it was to be made possible for the user to
download the data locally to their PC. I guess that was ditched
along the way.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-09-10 07:46:38 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The sending in readings is the meter; the telling you information is the
little room gadget they give you to keep in the room. Of the one or two
I've seen, they'll tell you what you're using now, or have today (in kWh
or pounds) - some will tell you the same for the past week or month,
sometimes as a crude bar-graph. Not sure what else I would expect them
to tell me.
Way back when they started to discuss the specification for Smart
Meters I used to keep up with the details, and one key
requirement was that it was to be made possible for the user to
download the data locally to their PC. I guess that was ditched
along the way.
Chris
Interesting. (I don't remember that, but that doesn't mean you're
wrong.) I would imagine it could be made possible for that data to be
downloadable from the supplier's website, though I have no idea whether
any supplier actually offers this. The information certainly seems to
have _existed_ in the USA for years, from drama series (I know they
exaggerate, but still): they seem to be able to detect that "a spike"
occurred at a certain date, if not finer resolution than that.

What's really worth knowing is for the most part unlearnable until you have
enough experience to even recognise it as knowledge, let alone as useful
knowledge. - Wolf K <***@sympatico.ca>, in alt.windows7.general, 2017-4-30
BrritSki
2020-09-10 09:37:08 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
The sending in readings is the meter; the telling you information is the
little room gadget they give you to keep in the room. Of the one or two
I've seen, they'll tell you what you're using now, or have today (in kWh
or pounds) - some will tell you the same for the past week or month,
sometimes as a crude bar-graph. Not sure what else I would expect them
to tell me.
Way back when they started to discuss the specification for Smart
Meters I used to keep up with the details, and one key
requirement was that it was to be made possible for the user to
download the data locally to their PC. I guess that was ditched
along the way.
My Solaredge website lets me look at data in a lot of detail (see below)
and download it as a CSV. I can even see meteorological data.

I used a long period of this data in a complicated spreadsheet I built
to analyse whether it was worth adding a Tesla home battery to our
system. It's not as simple as just saying I used X amount of power and
generated 2X so a battery would have saved me money - it all depends on
the state of the battery when you're generating, if it's full you "lose"
that generated energy.

Time Export Meter E (Wh) Import Meter E (Wh) Switch 1 Energy (Wh)
22/02/2019 00:00 0 78 0
22/02/2019 01:00 0 78 0
22/02/2019 02:00 0 82 0
22/02/2019 03:00 0 77 0
22/02/2019 04:00 0 77 0
22/02/2019 05:00 0 77 0
22/02/2019 06:00 0 81 0
22/02/2019 07:00 23 63 0
22/02/2019 08:00 368 0 0
22/02/2019 09:00 887 0 0
22/02/2019 10:00 1461 0 0
22/02/2019 11:00 2178 0 0
22/02/2019 12:00 2777 0 0
Chris J Dixon
2020-09-10 10:31:27 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Way back when they started to discuss the specification for Smart
Meters I used to keep up with the details, and one key
requirement was that it was to be made possible for the user to
download the data locally to their PC. I guess that was ditched
along the way.
My Solaredge website lets me look at data in a lot of detail (see below)
and download it as a CSV. I can even see meteorological data.
My PV system does have a data logger attached, and I can download
the data. It also transmits, but my latest PC, although it can
see the signal, won't connect.

However, I now have some OpenEnergyMontor kit (1), which works
well, and has useful displays. I'm sure I can get even more from
it, if I spend a little more time reading the tutorials.

Of course, none of this helps with gas usage, and my meter has no
flashing LED, so monitoring that is out.

(1)
<https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/emonpi-energy-monitor-solar-pv-bundle/>

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-09-09 22:37:26 UTC
On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 20:11:12 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've had a supposedly smart meter for a few years and have never
persuaded it to give me any sensible, or helpful, information (to be
fair, I haven't tried very hard).
I liked being able to see at a glance how much my roof was generating at
any given moment and decide, on cold bright days, whether to turn on the
electric heater or the central heating.
Post by Serena Blanchflower
The big advantage, as far as I'm
concerned, is that I haven't needed to worry about providing meter
readings as, even if it won't tell me anything helpful, it clearly does
phone home at suitable intervals and provides the necessary readings.
I don't know what is wrong with mine. I was lead to believe by the engineer
who installed it that the gas meter talks to the electric meter and the
electric meter talks to the company. As it is still telling them (and me)
how much gas I'm using but tells neither of us about electricity usage
(unless I go outside, crouch down and fiddle with buttons to read it
myself) I think I was misled.
2020-09-10 07:57:36 UTC
On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 20:11:12 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I've had a supposedly smart meter for a few years and have never
persuaded it to give me any sensible, or helpful, information (to be
fair, I haven't tried very hard).
I liked being able to see at a glance how much my roof was generating at
any given moment and decide, on cold bright days, whether to turn on the
electric heater or the central heating.
I don't need a smart meter to know that. The excellent guys who
installed our solar system are linked with a company who have it all on
a website and an app so I can see what's happening whenever and wherever
I am. We also paid about £80 for a smart plug that turns itself on
whenever we're generating more than a set level. We have either a fan or
a small electric fan heater plugged in to it so we don't need to look to
know when to put on dishwasher or washing machine, although normally it
is pretty obvious. Again this smart plug is controlled from the same app
and website.
Penny
2020-09-10 08:49:24 UTC
On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 08:57:36 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
[...]
That sounds very clever. Yes, I could always tell a good time to turn on
the dishwasher or washing machine but I had no idea the actual levels it
was generating and, until you mentioned it a while back, it hadn't occurred
to me that running an electric heater would make sense in cold weather
before I had the device which gave me that info. I hope it's fixed soon.
2020-09-08 22:15:19 UTC
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy.  Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme?  If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
I am with SSE and cannot recommend them at present.

I entered my readings online following their request in an email. I am
not sure they used them because I was going down the road the next day
and passed an SSE meterman walking up the road!

So first I was advised that there was a new electricity bill on their
system. Which I access and download. Seems about what I was expecting.
Some days later I received an email asking for best part of £100 more
than on the bill. I sent an email demurring.

Then they sent an email for less than the value of the invoice. I
demurred. Finally the customer service team swung into action asking
for my full name and account number etc - remember the email address
from which I responded is also the email address on my account.

About this time they told me the gas bill had been generated which I
accessed and again it was in the same bill park as my expectations.

Yesterday I received an email asking for nearly £30 less than the bill
(it was about 2/3 of the actual bill). So tonight I have emailed them
asking if they will accept the smaller amount in full and final
settlement and to avoid further arguments included both account numbers
and using the CRM reference of the first complaint.

I read in the newspapers of people having problems with energy suppliers
- but this is SSE - not exactly johnny come lately people - and I wonder
how their systems can be permitted to generate such garbage?
2020-09-09 07:24:33 UTC
I read in the newspapers of people having problems with energy suppliers
- but this is SSE - not exactly johnny come lately people - and I wonder
how their systems can be permitted to generate such garbage?
I had a protracted interchange with Scottish Power simply asking
them to tell my why they kept recalculating previous bills. They
ended up giving me the statutory payment for lack of timely
response.

I then moved to Tonik, who were very competitive, and were fine
until I moved to Avro (who were even cheaper) last autumn. The
final bill took ages, finally arriving in January - they paid me
my credit balance, and they had to give me statutory compensation
in addition.

A couple of weeks ago there was an unexpected three-figure credit
to my bank account from Tonik. I queried this, to be told:

"We recently went through a system migration which meant that we
could not bill accounts. We have now fixed these issues, which is
why we have your official final bill and credit refund so much
later than you left us. I can confirm now that we have closed the
account successfully, so this will not be happening again."

I like to think I am reasonably numerate, but the way they
present (if they even bother) their recalculations makes it
pretty much impossible to check the figures.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-09-09 11:49:24 UTC
On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 08:24:33 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
I then moved to Tonik, who were very competitive, and were fine
until I moved to Avro (who were even cheaper) last autumn. The
final bill took ages, finally arriving in January - they paid me
my credit balance, and they had to give me statutory compensation
in addition.
A couple of weeks ago there was an unexpected three-figure credit
"We recently went through a system migration which meant that we
could not bill accounts. We have now fixed these issues, which is
why we have your official final bill and credit refund so much
later than you left us. I can confirm now that we have closed the
account successfully, so this will not be happening again."
This reminds me that I had an email a couple of weeks ago from Greenstar
energy, who I left in Jan 2019, saying they'd messed something up and
overcharged me at some point and I could expect a cheque for £18 soon. I
tried to check my bills (I hate pdf bills - not just because the filenames
fail to identify them sensibly) and find, to my surprise, they have an
'estimated' final gas read which is really odd as I have photos of both
meters taken on 24/1/2019 and must have sent in the numbers. As I recall
the meter reader they paid never managed to locate my gas meter (I never
saw them, they didn't ask me).
2020-09-09 12:32:40 UTC
As I recall
the meter reader they paid never managed to locate my gas meter (I never
saw them, they didn't ask me).
When we had the extension built we notified the gas and electricity
suppliers that there had been changes and they were sited externally and
no longer in the garage.

Inevitably some time later I had a phone call asking when they could
access the garage to read the meters. And that was in the days when the
left hand knew what the right hand was doing.
2020-09-09 12:38:51 UTC
...   And that was in the days when the
left hand knew what the right hand was doing.
Blimey, a long time ago then. When Adam had been created, but still had
a full complement of ribs...

(not that I am suggesting for a minute that women are the cause of
TRHNKWTLHID - au contraire).
krw
2020-09-09 12:59:04 UTC
...   And that was in the days when the
left hand knew what the right hand was doing.
Blimey, a long time ago then. When Adam had been created, but still had
a full complement of ribs...
(not that I am suggesting for a minute that women are the cause of
TRHNKWTLHID - au contraire).
Definitely last century!
2020-09-09 14:36:14 UTC
On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 at 08:24:33, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:
[]
Post by Chris J Dixon
I had a protracted interchange with Scottish Power simply asking
them to tell my why they kept recalculating previous bills. They
ended up giving me the statutory payment for lack of timely
response.
[]
(Oh, that sounds interesting: is one still entitled to such payment if
there has been communication, but it hasn't been satisfactory?)

They _all_ (well, of the ones I've tried so far) recalculate bills to an
amazing extent, and the explanations/calculations are impenetrable. Not
just energy ones of course. I recently (well, ...) encountered a BT one
- for a BT Basic account which just pays the standing charge; it was
when they put the prices up a little, and was explaining why the
transitional one was _more_ than the future standard. As near as I could
understand, it went like this: you pay in advance. Therefore this bill -
which is already at the higher rate - is [it was only a few pence] even
higher than it will be in future, because we put the prices up sometime
during the last period, so you've had part of the last period (for which
you should have paid more) at the old rate. But that's just one example;
energy companies, especially if estimated readings are involved, are
terrible at this recalculating lark. (All of them.)

Chris J Dixon
2020-09-09 14:55:27 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I had a protracted interchange with Scottish Power simply asking
them to tell my why they kept recalculating previous bills. They
ended up giving me the statutory payment for lack of timely
response.
[]
(Oh, that sounds interesting: is one still entitled to such payment if
there has been communication, but it hasn't been satisfactory?)
I think that is left as an exercise for the student. ;-)

If you want to read my posts about it at the time, they were on
the 1st and 30th June 2017, in a thread: Re: little rant
regarding regards

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-09-09 07:39:15 UTC
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy. Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme? If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
We’ve changed suppliers without so much as a tap on a key; N-Power have
been subsumed within the bowels of E-On and their first communication
informs us that they are suppliers of 100% green energy, as I cannot see
the colour of the electrickorial stuff coming through the cables, I’ll have
to take their word for it for now.
2020-09-09 09:35:05 UTC
We’ve changed suppliers without so much as a tap on a key; N-Power have
been subsumed within the bowels of E-On and their first communication
informs us that they are suppliers of 100% green energy, as I cannot see
the colour of the electrickorial stuff coming through the cables, I’ll have
to take their word for it for now.
I don't believe in all this switching - who's paying for it? (That's a
rhetorical question, BTW.) I have been with E-on for yonks and have
never had to complain about anything. I think I may have had to contact
them about something once. I just got an e-mail from them yesterday
saying that they are reducing their prices in September and I might save
up to £84 a year.

Incidentally, there was a reason why I started making a note of my gas &
electricity expenditure in 2009 and I have continued to do so for no
particular reason. I haven't yet looked at my latest bill, but I see
that in June this year it was £3.86 less than I paid in June 2010!
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-09 14:42:40 UTC
We’ve changed suppliers without so much as a tap on a key; N-Power have
been subsumed within the bowels of E-On and their first communication
informs us that they are suppliers of 100% green energy, as I cannot see
the colour of the electrickorial stuff coming through the cables, I’ll have
to take their word for it for now.
Leaving aside the fictional element - which the whole idea of "who you
buy your electricity/gas from" is part of: last time I looked into
switching, I found several of the lowest-price ones _were_ offering
"100% green".

Which I find pleasing: obviously, the electricity supply in this country
_has_, rather quietly, been installing lots of it.
Post by Jenny M Benson
I don't believe in all this switching - who's paying for it? (That's a
rhetorical question, BTW.) I have been with E-on for yonks and have
never had to complain about anything. I think I may have had to
contact them about something once. I just got an e-mail from them
yesterday saying that they are reducing their prices in September and I
might save up to £84 a year.
I've moaned at them about minor aspects of their website (for example,
it's not beyond the wit of programmers to accept spaces in account and
credit card numbers [especially since they print them on bills, real or
PDF, with spaces in!]), but nothing really to complain about.

Sam Plusnet
2020-09-09 20:28:52 UTC
I don't believe in all this switching - who's paying for it?  (That's a
rhetorical question, BTW.)  I have been with E-on for yonks and have
never had to complain about anything.  I think I may have had to contact
them about something once.  I just got an e-mail from them yesterday
saying that they are reducing their prices in September and I might save
up to £84 a year.
I don't like switching either, but having been with OVO for a couple of
years (and been entirely happy with them) they suddenly wanted a
sizeable price rise for the next year - when there had been little to
cause an increase in energy costs.
I switched to Avro for a more reasonable price (all of these are for
fixed rate 12 month contracts) and, so far they haven't tried the
"slip in a price rise, and hope inertia makes them swallow the increased
cost" technique.

I'm in the process of looking at car insurance where they are asking for
nearly 8% more without any good reason.
The car has hardly moved since March, so they should be refunding money
- not trying to take more.
Min
2020-09-09 20:49:58 UTC
[...]
I am on PAYG, and I have recently switched to Bulb. They are presently
running about a third of both Utilita (constantly badgering me to have
a Smart meter) and British Gas. Yesterday Utilita offered me a £50 Amazon
voucher to go back. Would be worth less than a month. Ha!
Min
krw
2020-09-09 21:19:13 UTC
I'm in the process of looking at car insurance where they are asking for
nearly 8% more without any good reason.
I am swallowing a larger rise than that this year but have had a zero
cost accident (I touched another car, admitted it to the other driver
but there was no damage), notified them of 6 points on the licence and
most recently that I am now on insulin as it is reportable.

From their point of view I suspect it is going to cost me a lot more
elsewhere too!
Steve Hague
2020-09-09 08:53:16 UTC
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy.  Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme?  If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
I'm with Ovo for both gas and electricity, and am happy with them.
2020-09-09 13:55:39 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I'm looking into whether I should shift to a different energy company
and the comparison site is suggesting Ovo Energy.  Am I right in
thinking that a number of umrats use them and are happy with them?
Secondly, am I right in thinking they offer a referral scheme?  If so,
I'm happy to refer whichever umrat gets in first!
I'm with Ovo for both gas and electricity, and am happy with them.
Having looked through the options, I decided to go with Ovo, until I saw
a note, in the small print, saying that that deal was only available to
people with dumb meters[1] and that it was mandatory for people signing
up to it to agree to have a smart meter installed within three months.
I can only assume that they need/want to get a certain number of smart
meter installations completed, in order to qualify for some government
benefit.

Having checked, on their site, the deals on offer to those of us who
already have smart meters, I've gone with Bulb, instead.

[1] Although I do have a smart meter, I have no idea whether it is smart
enough to be able to cope with me changing supplier or if it will
immediately revert to being dumb.
It works! Now if only I could remember what I did...
Vicky Ayech
2020-09-09 17:13:06 UTC
On Wed, 9 Sep 2020 14:55:39 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Having checked, on their site, the deals on offer to those of us who
already have smart meters, I've gone with Bulb, instead.
[1] Although I do have a smart meter, I have no idea whether it is smart
enough to be able to cope with me changing supplier or if it will
immediately revert to being dumb.
I haven't got a smart meter yet. If I remember right we said I could
have one and it was lockdown so I said no rush and they says say when.
Their algothingies got it wrong for the first couple of years but they
always said sorry so nicely and we didn't adjust the debits from what
we knew it should be and sent readings. You can get read 4 times a
year if you tell them you are vulnerable, which i did. We do readings
now and then too. It seems more or less sorted now. They do reply to
emails and contact very well.