OT: Birthday Firestorm
Mike Ruddock
2020-09-19 17:47:41 UTC
One of my sons-in-law had a birthday yesterday. It was his 6oth and his
wife had baked him an impressive cake, one of the most impressive things
being the 60 candles round it.
At the appropriate moment she (and two helpers) lit all the candles and
within a very short time we had a firestorm. No damage was done but I
was impressed by how much heat such tiny candles to throw out.
I told my daughter that should I still be alive when my 90th birthday
comes round, don't light 90 candles.

Mike Ruddock
n***@cix.compulink.co.uk
2020-09-20 04:17:04 UTC
The size of a candle determines how long it burns not its temperature
because the wax burns at roughly the same temperature for any candle. The
amount of heat given off can however be influenced by the cross section of
the wick, bigger wick, more wax burning more heat. Small candles, from
birthday size up to those big church offerings tend to use the same
diameter wick thread so they all produce the same heat as they burn.

Steph.
*Date:* Sat, 19 Sep 2020 18:47:41 +0100
No damage was done
but I was impressed by how much heat such tiny candles to throw out.