spoiler 7/9/18
2018-09-07 20:42:53 UTC

vt
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.

Also bad was Freddy having a go at Lizzie and being sorry for
himself. And Russ cooking stupid, smelly food. And not caring if he
earns or not. Not wanting to be caged! Arrrgh! You are my muse,
Lily???? Why the anything should Lily have to survive on cold beans
out of a tin? He is going to leach off her.
Mike
2018-09-07 21:48:33 UTC
vt
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.
Also bad was Freddy having a go at Lizzie and being sorry for
himself. And Russ cooking stupid, smelly food. And not caring if he
earns or not. Not wanting to be caged! Arrrgh! You are my muse,
Lily???? Why the anything should Lily have to survive on cold beans
out of a tin? He is going to leach off her.
He is lying through his hippy sandals, as for not answering the tefelone
call, we all know why he didn’t answer, don’t we Umrats one and all?
2018-09-07 21:57:10 UTC
vt
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.
Also bad was Freddy having a go at Lizzie and being sorry for
himself. And Russ cooking stupid, smelly food. And not caring if he
earns or not. Not wanting to be caged! Arrrgh! You are my muse,
Lily???? Why the anything should Lily have to survive on cold beans
out of a tin? He is going to leach off her.
He is lying through his hippy sandals, as for not answering the tefelone
call, we all know why he didn’t answer, don’t we Umrats one and all?
And then Helen might come to let Henry play some computer games but
they need not be violent. There are building ones. And actually he's a
bit young so far.
SODAM
2018-09-07 22:39:40 UTC
vt
<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
And then Helen might come to let Henry play some computer games but
they need not be violent. There are building ones. And actually he's a
bit young so far.
I’ve never liked violent computer games but bought “Lemmings” for my
grandchildren to play when they came to my house.
I felt that was a positive game, where the aim was to save lives rather
than destroy or shoot things. It had the extra benefit of being amusing and
having cheery music.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Mike
2018-09-08 06:57:17 UTC
Post by SODAM
vt
<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
And then Helen might come to let Henry play some computer games but
they need not be violent. There are building ones. And actually he's a
bit young so far.
I’ve never liked violent computer games but bought “Lemmings” for my
grandchildren to play when they came to my house.
I felt that was a positive game, where the aim was to save lives rather
than destroy or shoot things. It had the extra benefit of being amusing and
having cheery music.
One of the many good things we miss from our Acorn days. “Let’s Go!” Pity
it was never ported to the Mac platform.:-(
2018-09-08 14:08:20 UTC
Post by SODAM
vt o
<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
And then Helen might come to let Henry play some computer games but
they need not be violent. There are building ones. And actually he's a
bit young so far.
I’ve never liked violent computer games but bought “Lemmings” for my
grandchildren to play when they came to my house.
I felt that was a positive game, where the aim was to save lives rather
than destroy or shoot things. It had the extra benefit of being amusing
and having cheery music.
One of the many good things we miss from our Acorn days. “Let’s Go!”
Pity it was never ported to the Mac platform.:-(
There will, almost certainly, be an emulator program for it but the more
arcane the game the harder you'll have to search for it.
You might also look for the freeware version called 'pingus'
Mike
2018-09-08 17:51:32 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by SODAM
vt o
<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
And then Helen might come to let Henry play some computer games but
they need not be violent. There are building ones. And actually he's a
bit young so far.
I’ve never liked violent computer games but bought “Lemmings” for my
grandchildren to play when they came to my house.
I felt that was a positive game, where the aim was to save lives rather
than destroy or shoot things. It had the extra benefit of being amusing
and having cheery music.
One of the many good things we miss from our Acorn days. “Let’s Go!”
Pity it was never ported to the Mac platform.:-(
There will, almost certainly, be an emulator program for it but the more
arcane the game the harder you'll have to search for it.
You might also look for the freeware version called 'pingus'
Loaded ‘Pingus’ but....... sorry, that is rather unlike Lemmings I’m
afraid☹️☹️☹️
2018-09-08 17:58:47 UTC
[snip]
Post by Mike
Post by DavidK
One of the many good things we miss from our Acorn days. “Let’s Go!”
Pity it was never ported to the Mac platform.:-(
There will, almost certainly, be an emulator program for it but the
more arcane the game the harder you'll have to search for it.
You might also look for the freeware version called 'pingus'
Loaded ‘Pingus’ but....... sorry, that is rather unlike Lemmings I’m
afraid☹️☹️☹️
Just looked - there are LOTS of Acorns on Ebay - just a thought . . .
2018-09-08 18:08:23 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by SODAM
vt o
<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
‘Lemmings’ consists of a troupe of endearing little friends who, despite
hostile terrain, huge flaming infernos, precipitous drops and many other
life shortening dangers attempt to herd everyone to the end of the journey
and safety. The music contains delightful renditions of such works as
Nutcracker suite and the player should endeavour to direct the lovely
lemmings into positions and roles that ensure as many of the little
critters reach the end without being frazzled, squashed or otherwise
imperiled and reach safe ground.
2018-09-09 06:58:11 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by SODAM
vt o
<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Oh, sorry, but are we writing abut the same 'Pingus'? That describes my
pinguses .... floaters, blockers, exploders, etc.
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-08 08:57:20 UTC
Post by SODAM
vt
<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
And then Helen might come to let Henry play some computer games but
they need not be violent. There are building ones. And actually he's a
bit young so far.
I’ve never liked violent computer games but bought “Lemmings” for my
grandchildren to play when they came to my house.
I felt that was a positive game, where the aim was to save lives rather
than destroy or shoot things. It had the extra benefit of being amusing and
having cheery music.
12 year old grandson has been keen on Minecraft, which is building and
creating, for a coupl eof years now.
Nick Odell
2018-09-10 16:29:36 UTC
Post by SODAM
vt
<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
And then Helen might come to let Henry play some computer games but
they need not be violent. There are building ones. And actually he's a
bit young so far.
I’ve never liked violent computer games but bought “Lemmings” for my
grandchildren to play when they came to my house.
I felt that was a positive game, where the aim was to save lives rather
than destroy or shoot things. It had the extra benefit of being amusing and
having cheery music.
One of my favourites was "Bouncing Babies" where the object was to save
lives (but it was pretty comic when you didn't).

or

https://tinyurl.com/y8xf6vxf

I remember it as a BBC Micro game but I can only find examples for the
PC. Oh well...
p***@never.here
2018-09-08 08:27:44 UTC
On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 21:42:53 +0100, Vicky Ayech
vt
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.
Also bad was Freddy having a go at Lizzie and being sorry for
himself. And Russ cooking stupid, smelly food. And not caring if he
earns or not. Not wanting to be caged! Arrrgh! You are my muse,
Lily???? Why the anything should Lily have to survive on cold beans
out of a tin? He is going to leach off her.
One of the things that riled Freddie was Russ using his bedroom at LL.
Surely a place like LL would have at least one spare bedroom he could
have used. Then again, at least he wasn't in with Lily, as far as
Lizzie knew <g>
Pete
Vicky Ayech
2018-09-08 08:59:58 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 21:42:53 +0100, Vicky Ayech
vt
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.
Also bad was Freddy having a go at Lizzie and being sorry for
himself. And Russ cooking stupid, smelly food. And not caring if he
earns or not. Not wanting to be caged! Arrrgh! You are my muse,
Lily???? Why the anything should Lily have to survive on cold beans
out of a tin? He is going to leach off her.
One of the things that riled Freddie was Russ using his bedroom at LL.
Surely a place like LL would have at least one spare bedroom he could
have used. Then again, at least he wasn't in with Lily, as far as
Lizzie knew <g>
There was the room Pip was in or the one Jill had. Actually I think
Lily isn't as keen as she was now she knows Russ has decided not to
work but to live in poverty with her on her student loan and what
Lizzie gives her. All the while wanting to keep up his standards, with
a wok and special teas, while they live on cold baked beans and she is
his muse.
SODAM
2018-09-08 12:50:50 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
It sounded a very deflated “Oh” when he told Lily this news. She doesn’t
realise that he will probably never be allowed to teach again, so will not
easily find work. I’m sure Umbrella Umrat was right who said Russ
(mistakenly?) thinks she has a large trust fund that they could live off.
Meanwhile, he imagines he could live an easy life as a dilettante painter
with an attractive teenage muse. How long would that last before they run
out of money and he suggests she should sell her painting? Or will the
house of cards fall before Manchester when the Principal finally catches up
with him? <fx: sound of drums>.
Serena Blanchflower
2018-09-08 17:57:58 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Yes, it did. Even more deflated than her reaction to the news that he'd
actually left his wife. I think reality is beginning to dawn for Lily.
Post by SODAM
She doesn’t
realise that he will probably never be allowed to teach again, so will not
easily find work.
This surprised me because, a while back, when she was talking to Phoebe,
she seemed quite happy about the situation. She said then that it
didn't matter that he wouldn't have a reference from the college, as he
had no intention of teaching again. Part of the dream, before it looked
like turning into reality, was that he would get himself established as
an artist.
Post by SODAM
I’m sure Umbrella Umrat was right who said Russ
(mistakenly?) thinks she has a large trust fund that they could live off.
I think that was me, although I probably wasn't the only umrat to come
to that conclusion.
Post by SODAM
Meanwhile, he imagines he could live an easy life as a dilettante painter
with an attractive teenage muse. How long would that last before they run
out of money and he suggests she should sell her painting? Or will the
house of cards fall before Manchester when the Principal finally catches up
with him? <fx: sound of drums>.
I suspect he will also be less than happy when Lili is spending most of
her time at uni, leaving him alone with his easel (or whatever) in their
garret.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before
breakfast. (Lewis Carroll)
Mike
2018-09-08 18:10:39 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by SODAM
Meanwhile, he imagines he could live an easy life as a dilettante painter
with an attractive teenage muse. How long would that last before they run
out of money and he suggests she should sell her painting? Or will the
house of cards fall before Manchester when the Principal finally catches up
with him? <fx: sound of drums>.
I suspect he will also be less than happy when Lili is spending most of
her time at uni, leaving him alone with his easel (or whatever) in their
garret.
‘Oh my Russ, what a big brush you have!’ ;-)
2018-09-08 20:27:09 UTC
On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 18:57:58 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
This surprised me because, a while back, when she was talking to Phoebe,
she seemed quite happy about the situation. She said then that it
didn't matter that he wouldn't have a reference from the college, as he
had no intention of teaching again. Part of the dream, before it looked
like turning into reality, was that he would get himself established as
an artist.
There's a *very* big difference between "no intention of" and "not
allowed to". Being struck off the teaching register, or whatever it's
officially called and having it on his record that he had an affair
with a student is a whole different ball game to having it as a backup
in case being a struggling artist is too much like actual poverty.
2018-09-09 08:31:28 UTC
Post by Fenny
On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 18:57:58 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
This surprised me because, a while back, when she was talking to Phoebe,
she seemed quite happy about the situation. She said then that it
didn't matter that he wouldn't have a reference from the college, as he
had no intention of teaching again. Part of the dream, before it looked
like turning into reality, was that he would get himself established as
an artist.
There's a *very* big difference between "no intention of" and "not
allowed to". Being struck off the teaching register, or whatever it's
officially called and having it on his record that he had an affair
with a student is a whole different ball game to having it as a backup
in case being a struggling artist is too much like actual poverty.
Yebbut, when talking to Phoebe, Lili seemed to accept and be happy with
the idea that he *couldn't* teach again because it didn't matter, as he
had no intention of teaching again anyway. Given that this couldn't
possibly be down to a disconnect between SWs, I can only assume that her
evident shock at the news that he didn't intend to get another teaching
job was down to the overall dawning of reality.
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
Mike
2018-09-09 08:52:58 UTC
Post by Fenny
[...]
Infatuated state probably commensurate with total lack of reasoning about
anything else.
2018-09-18 15:37:04 UTC
Part of the dream, before it looked like turning into reality, was that
he would get himself established as an artist.
Has anyone seen anything the groomer has actually produced.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. As I was taught.
2018-09-18 15:44:56 UTC
Part of the dream, before it looked like turning into reality, was that
he would get himself established as an artist.
Has anyone seen anything the groomer has actually produced.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. As I was taught.
Presumably by someone who couldn’t ‘do’. ;-)
2018-09-18 16:51:46 UTC
Part of the dream, before it looked like turning into reality, was that
he would get himself established as an artist.
Has anyone seen anything the groomer has actually produced.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. As I was taught.
Presumably by someone who couldn’t ‘do’. ;-)
I think that's what krw meant.

I don't agree with the adage (I wouldn't, would I, having teachers in my
background/ancestry), but I have a heard a fuller version:

... Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers.

"Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum." Translation: "Garbage in, garbage out."
Mike
2018-09-18 17:47:36 UTC
Part of the dream, before it looked like turning into reality, was that
he would get himself established as an artist.
Has anyone seen anything the groomer has actually produced.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. As I was taught.
Presumably by someone who couldn’t ‘do’. ;-)
I think that's what krw meant.
I don't agree with the adage (I wouldn't, would I, having teachers in my
... Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
Well, there is some truth in that I suppose, as an audio engineer for many
years who made many recordings and serviced recording equipment etc., I
also taught teachers! ;-)))
2018-09-18 17:53:05 UTC
Part of the dream, before it looked like turning into reality, was that
he would get himself established as an artist.
Has anyone seen anything the groomer has actually produced.
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  As I was taught.
Presumably by someone who couldn’t ‘do’. ;-)
I think that's what krw meant.
I don't agree with the adage (I wouldn't, would I, having teachers in my
... Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
And those who can't teach teachers become OFSTED inspectors.

john (originally HMIs)
Nick Odell
2018-09-18 19:23:30 UTC
Part of the dream, before it looked like turning into reality, was that
he would get himself established as an artist.
Has anyone seen anything the groomer has actually produced.
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  As I was taught.
Presumably by someone who couldn’t ‘do’. ;-)
I think that's what krw meant.
I don't agree with the adage (I wouldn't, would I, having teachers in
... Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
And those who can't teach teachers become OFSTED inspectors.
john (originally HMIs)
And that person who can't teach teachers, and hasn't the capacity to
inspect may well end up as Minister of Education.

2018-09-19 08:12:50 UTC
Part of the dream, before it looked like turning into reality, was that
he would get himself established as an artist.
Has anyone seen anything the groomer has actually produced.
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  As I was taught.
Presumably by someone who couldn’t ‘do’. ;-)
I think that's what krw meant.
I don't agree with the adage (I wouldn't, would I, having teachers in
... Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
And those who can't teach teachers become OFSTED inspectors.
john (originally HMIs)
And that person who can't teach teachers, and hasn't the capacity to
inspect may well end up as Minister of Education.
Nick
I was thinking of arguing with you but, Gove way at that point.
2018-09-20 13:48:39 UTC
Part of the dream, before it looked like turning into reality, was that
he would get himself established as an artist.
Has anyone seen anything the groomer has actually produced.
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. As I was taught.
Presumably by someone who couldn’t ‘do’. ;-)
I think that's what krw meant.
I don't agree with the adage (I wouldn't, would I, having teachers in my
... Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
That’s what I’ve heard but then I know the teachers who teach the teachers!
Sone of our oldest friends!

2018-09-18 18:14:26 UTC
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  As I was taught.
I would just like to say that I despise that adage. GBS did
incalculable harm when he was showing off by saying it; it is not only
untrue, it has undermined a lot of thoroughly decent, capable people who
decided that teaching is a noble profession which really matters and
devoted their lives to it.

There. I don't want to be too po-faced about it, but hearing that
miserable calumny trotted out so often really does piss me off. (And I
make no apology for unumratic language either.)
2018-09-18 18:36:06 UTC
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  As I was taught.
I would just like to say that I despise that adage. GBS did
incalculable harm when he was showing off by saying it; it is not only
untrue, it has undermined a lot of thoroughly decent, capable people
who decided that teaching is a noble profession which really matters
and devoted their lives to it.
There. I don't want to be too po-faced about it, but hearing that
miserable calumny trotted out so often really does piss me off. (And I
make no apology for unumratic language either.)
And you don't need to. I agree with everything you said.

There's an _element_ of truth in it, but only in the _opposite_ sense to
that originally implied: it is possible for someone to be incapable of
_doing_ something, but an excellent _teacher_ of it. This applies
particularly (maybe exclusively?) to certain manual tasks.

I encountered something similar with _inspection_: when I moved from
being an engineer to being a technician, and had to learn how to do
certain fine soldering tasks as well as inspect my own work and that of
others, there came a point where I asked, can you be an inspector only,
as I didn't think I'd ever master the skill myself; they said that is
certainly possible: someone can know what needs doing, and be able to
assess whether it has been done properly, without being able to do it
themself. (Sorry about that word.)

[I did eventually manage to achieve the task - but I was less neat, and
a lot slower, than many of my contemporaries; however, for practical
purposes, I mostly only did it for the biennial certification, getting
someone else to do such tasks when needed, and doing other things in
return for those folk, things I was better at than they.]

And the extension - I imagine teaching teachers is another skill again!

Never make the same mistake twice...there are so many new ones to make!
Btms
2018-09-28 07:53:56 UTC
[...]
I experience d my teachers who taught me to teach as the very best.
2018-09-29 12:26:18 UTC
[...]
Which is why McT is such a good teacher (and I suspect it’s a family gene
as his dad was in the first generation of special needs co-ordinators or a
qualified teacher of the visually impaired in a previous guise).

Wunderkind is the next generation ....

2018-09-18 20:44:24 UTC
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 19:14:26 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  As I was taught.
I would just like to say that I despise that adage. GBS did
incalculable harm when he was showing off by saying it; it is not only
untrue, it has undermined a lot of thoroughly decent, capable people who
decided that teaching is a noble profession which really matters and
devoted their lives to it.
There. I don't want to be too po-faced about it, but hearing that
miserable calumny trotted out so often really does piss me off. (And I
make no apology for unumratic language either.)
Wot he said. I had a slight go on the fb group when this was quoted,
pointed out I used to teach.
Nick Odell
2018-09-19 00:23:31 UTC
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 19:14:26 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  As I was taught.
I would just like to say that I despise that adage. GBS did
incalculable harm when he was showing off by saying it; it is not only
untrue, it has undermined a lot of thoroughly decent, capable people who
decided that teaching is a noble profession which really matters and
devoted their lives to it.
There. I don't want to be too po-faced about it, but hearing that
miserable calumny trotted out so often really does piss me off. (And I
make no apology for unumratic language either.)
Wot he said. I had a slight go on the fb group when this was quoted,
pointed out I used to teach.
When I was a student teacher on the cusp of the seventies[1] we used to
use this little quip against ourselves....

...but mostly against those in authority above us.

Nick

[1]It is left as an exercise for the reader to determine whether the
front cusp or the back cusp
krw
2018-09-19 08:23:18 UTC
Post by krw
[...]
I hope all realise that I was not intending to cause upset - I do not
agree with the epithet I expressed. If I want to cause upset these days
I merely need to say something like the name of a certain dog or observe
that our actions must be "whiter than white".
2018-09-19 11:00:11 UTC
Post by krw
[...]
That's ok. Actually some greayt artists did teach though. We watch
Fake or Fortune and Picasso and Umbrella both had students who painted
in their studio with them, using the same paints and canvases,
sometimes their old canvases. But in Russ's case it probably applies
:)
Fenny
2018-09-19 21:14:50 UTC
On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 19:14:26 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  As I was taught.
I would just like to say that I despise that adage. GBS did
incalculable harm when he was showing off by saying it; it is not only
untrue, it has undermined a lot of thoroughly decent, capable people who
decided that teaching is a noble profession which really matters and
devoted their lives to it.
There. I don't want to be too po-faced about it, but hearing that
miserable calumny trotted out so often really does piss me off. (And I
make no apology for unumratic language either.)
<entirely unlanguid wave>

I can't better your sentiments, Sid, so I shall keep my thoughts to
myself.
2018-09-08 14:16:25 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
On Fri, 07 Sep 2018 21:42:53 +0100, Vicky Ayech
vt
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.
Also bad was Freddy having a go at Lizzie and being sorry for
himself. And Russ cooking stupid, smelly food. And not caring if he
earns or not. Not wanting to be caged! Arrrgh! You are my muse,
Lily???? Why the anything should Lily have to survive on cold beans
out of a tin? He is going to leach off her.
One of the things that riled Freddie was Russ using his bedroom at LL.
Surely a place like LL would have at least one spare bedroom he could
have used. Then again, at least he wasn't in with Lily, as far as
Lizzie knew <g>
There was the room Pip was in or the one Jill had.
Good point, that! And Kenton all those years ago. We never hear of Lewis
these days either.

2018-09-08 14:28:19 UTC
Post by p***@never.here
[...]
Sincerely Chris
AIWITT Lewis was mentioned a few weeks ago as helping Cafe with summat or
other?
2018-09-18 15:29:56 UTC
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.
Having been away I am behind with both umra and TA. All I can say over
Helen and Henry is that the latter needs a good smack to understand
right from wrong before he turns into Freddie.

To keep rewarding his bad behaviour will not work (Henry that is.
Freddie should be sent down and it would help if he had been smacked a
few times).

Helen obviously has an unwritten list of rules. She should write them down.
2018-09-18 20:38:01 UTC
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.
Having been away I am behind with both umra and TA. All I can say over
Helen and Henry is that the latter needs a good smack to understand
right from wrong before he turns into Freddie.
Apparently they are about to make it an offense to smack your
children, unless I got it wrong?
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-09-18 22:12:22 UTC
Tom had no business to take nuggering Hannah to back him up with
Helen. it was family/private and not her business. And to confront her
with personal stuff two to one was bad.
Having been away I am behind with both umra and TA. All I can say over
Helen and Henry is that the latter needs a good smack to understand
right from wrong before he turns into Freddie.
Apparently they are about to make it an offense to smack your
children, unless I got it wrong?
I half-heard the same thing. I think such would be a step too far.

"I hate the guys that criticize the enterprise of other guys whose enterprise
has made them rise above the guys who criticize!" (W9BRD, former editor of
"How's DX?" column in "QST")