OT: BBC Sounds
2019-01-12 20:38:48 UTC
I'm still happily using BBC iplayer radio and know how to find what I'm
looking for there but I followed a link the other day which took me to BBC
Sounds in the browser on my tablet and I hadn't looked at it until today.
After signing in I listened to the 1st episode of "I'm sorry I'll read that
again... again" while I was preparing a casserole and once it was in the
oven I went back to sit at my computer and play spider until it was
finished, when I got on with some work.

I guess auto-play must be switched on by default because a few minutes
later another episode started. I listened to that one and sort of expected
a third to start soon after, but it didn't and I forgot about it.

I think it was at least an hour later, maybe more, when that third episode
decided to start and made me jump. Is this normal behaviour? Do they really
have an hour of silence tacked on to the end of programmes on this new
thing?

I had a similar experience recently with a audio-book from the library - a
badly digitise CD set of Graham Green short stories. Badly done in that
none of the 'chapter' markers was in quite the right place and a couple of
the tales actually skidded to a stop and missed the end of the story.
I was listening to one while getting ready for bed and, knowing I'd set it
to stop at the end of the tale, I switched out the light and settled down.
I was dozing after the story had finished when I was suddenly woken by the
loud announcement of the next title :( I checked the following day and I
had heard the whole tale but there had been 5 minutes of silence before the
next, slightly misplaced marker.
2019-01-13 09:47:37 UTC
[...]
It seems that the next episode plays automatically but sometimes the
episodes are not shown in the correct order or an episode of a different
programme appears in between. I haven't noticed any silences because I
don't usually leave it running because of this occasional randomness.
But you do sometimes get all the continuity announcements at beginning
and end which can be a bit disconcerting if the programmes are old.
2019-01-13 09:51:34 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
[...]
Now, starting with the earliest archived recording of TA, just how long
would one need to listen to hear every recording -up to the present day’s
episode - of course!?
2019-01-13 10:34:23 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
[...]
Stephen Turner used to label epis. Not hewrd from him for some time I now
realise.

2019-01-13 11:01:00 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
[...]
According to Wikipedia and with additional help from my fingers, thumbs
and toes, Friday was episode `18818. I have no idea how many are in the
archive but perhaps we could Hancock the rest - recreate the episodes
from the original scripts?

2019-01-13 11:08:34 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
[...]
Nick
Should we include ‘The Bowmen’ in that case?
2019-01-13 11:10:49 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
[...]
We could slip it in at around about episode number 1066 and see if
anybody notices.

2019-01-13 12:44:13 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
[...]
I wonder if Ruth Jones would notice if included in her ‘luxury item’ on her
desert island?
2019-01-13 17:10:09 UTC
Now, starting with the earliest archived recording of TA, just how long
would one need to listen to hear every recording -up to the present day’s
episode - of course!?
Stephen Turner used to label epis. Not hewrd from him for some time I now
realise.
According to Wikipedia and with additional help from my fingers, thumbs
and toes, Friday was episode `18818. I have no idea how many are in the
archive but perhaps we could Hancock the rest - recreate the episodes
from the original scripts?
Should we include ‘The Bowmen’ in that case?
We could slip it in at around about episode number 1066 and see if
anybody notices.
Or when the afternoon epi currently ends at 1215, a date very agreeable
to fag ash Lil - A gin court.

[attributions probably screwed = sorry]
steveski
2019-01-14 09:58:25 UTC
Now, starting with the earliest archived recording of TA, just how
long would one need to listen to hear every recording -up to the
present day’s episode - of course!?
Stephen Turner used to label epis. Not hewrd from him for some time
I now realise.
According to Wikipedia and with additional help from my fingers,
thumbs and toes, Friday was episode `18818. I have no idea how many
are in the archive but perhaps we could Hancock the rest - recreate
the episodes from the original scripts?
Should we include ‘The Bowmen’ in that case?
We could slip it in at around about episode number 1066 and see if
anybody notices.
Or when the afternoon epi currently ends at 1215, a date very agreeable
to fag ash Lil - A gin court.
[attributions probably screwed = sorry]
14:15, shirley?
Doh ! Of course it was, I know that, but I was thinking of writing
2.15... We should sign a Great Charter instead...
John Ashby
2019-01-14 12:55:47 UTC
[...]
And we're back to Hancock.

Rosalind Mitchell
Looks more like some runny mead.
Sid Nuncius
2019-01-14 06:05:33 UTC
Now, starting with the earliest archived recording of TA, just how long
would one need to listen to hear every recording -up to the present day’s
episode - of course!?
Stephen Turner used to label epis. Not hewrd from him for some time I now
realise.
According to Wikipedia and with additional help from my fingers, thumbs
and toes, Friday was episode `18818. I have no idea how many are in the
archive but perhaps we could Hancock the rest - recreate the episodes
from the original scripts?
By my calculations, at 13 minutes per episode and listening 24 hours per
day, it's just short of 170 days for 11818 episodes. (Around
five-and-a-half months in old money.)

HTH
2019-01-13 11:59:04 UTC
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 09:51:34 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Now, starting with the earliest archived recording of TA, just how long
would one need to listen to hear every recording -up to the present day’s
episode - of course!?
According to Desert Island Discs, a good six months.
2019-01-13 16:12:17 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, LFS
<***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
randomness. But you do sometimes get all the continuity announcements
at beginning and end which can be a bit disconcerting if the programmes
are old.
I continue to be puzzled why this is done - i. e., someone is chopping
the as-broadcast audio into chunks of about the right length, making a
new file that is then put onto the iPlayer (or BBC Sounds, or whatever
it is this week) server. Since, for all but live programmes, the files
must already exist to be played out anyway, why do this?
--
Are petitions unfair? See 255soft.uk (YOUR VOTE COUNTS)! [Pass it on.]

The first banjo solo I played was actually just a series of mistakes. In fact
it was all the mistakes I knew at the time. - Tim Dowling, RT2015/6/20-26
Tony Bryer
2019-01-14 06:03:55 UTC
I guess auto-play must be switched on by default because a few minutes
later another episode started. I listened to that one and sort of expected
a third to start soon after, but it didn't and I forgot about it.
I think it was at least an hour later, maybe more, when that third episode
decided to start and made me jump. Is this normal behaviour?
It drives me spare and complaints about it have been voiced on Feedback.
Running on to the next epi is, I suppose, OK, but I listened to Sunday's TA
this morning (OZ time) and it then ran on into an old episode. But still
that makes a change from Welsh farming news or some other non-sequiter.

What would make sense would be a YouTube "You might also like these" links,
but the way is was was just fine. Hutber's law has struck again.
Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-14 13:16:40 UTC
In message <***@delme.greentram.com>, Tony Bryer
<***@delme.greentram.com> writes:
[]
Post by Tony Bryer
What would make sense would be a YouTube "You might also like these" links,
but the way is was was just fine. Hutber's law has struck again.
I think I can guess, but I've never heard of Hutber's law - what is it?
("If it's not broke, fix it until it is"?
"If it's not broke, it's not been fixed enough"?
"Something must be done; this is something, so do it"?
New management must change something?)

JPG
---

How about a three-way referendum, allowing second choices?
--
Are petitions unfair? See 255soft.uk (YOUR VOTE COUNTS)! [Pass it on.]
(Only 269/10,000 signatures - if anyone can tweet me, I'd be grateful!)

Who can refute a sneer? - Archdeacon Paley, in his book Moral Philosophy
krw
2019-01-14 16:19:54 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
What would make sense would be a YouTube "You might also like these" links,
but the way is was was just fine. Hutber's law has struck again.
I think I can guess, but I've never heard of Hutber's law - what is it?
("If it's not broke, fix it until it is"?
"If it's not broke, it's not been fixed enough"?
"Something must be done; this is something, so do it"?
New management must change something?)
Patrick Hutber, Daily Mail City Editor, postulated that "improvement
means deterioration". It is often the case these days.
2019-01-14 19:13:58 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
What would make sense would be a YouTube "You might also like these" links,
but the way is was was just fine. Hutber's law has struck again.
I think I can guess, but I've never heard of Hutber's law - what is
it? ("If it's not broke, fix it until it is"?
"If it's not broke, it's not been fixed enough"?
"Something must be done; this is something, so do it"?
New management must change something?)
Patrick Hutber, Daily Mail City Editor, postulated that "improvement
means deterioration". It is often the case these days.
Thanks. Very cynical!

Santa's elves are just a bunch of subordinate Clauses.
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-14 21:33:09 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
What would make sense would be a YouTube "You might also like these" links,
but the way is was was just fine. Hutber's law has struck again.
I think I can guess, but I've never heard of Hutber's law - what is
it?  ("If it's not broke, fix it until it is"?
"If it's not broke, it's not been fixed enough"?
"Something must be done; this is something, so do it"?
New management must change something?)
Patrick Hutber, Daily Mail City Editor, postulated that "improvement
means deterioration".  It is often the case these days.
Thanks. Very cynical!
Verschlimmbesserungen
2019-01-14 21:45:31 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
What would make sense would be a YouTube "You might also like these" links,
but the way is was was just fine. Hutber's law has struck again.
I think I can guess, but I've never heard of Hutber's law - what is
it?  ("If it's not broke, fix it until it is"?
"If it's not broke, it's not been fixed enough"?
"Something must be done; this is something, so do it"?
New management must change something?)
Patrick Hutber, Daily Mail City Editor, postulated that "improvement
means deterioration".  It is often the case these days.
Thanks. Very cynical!
Verschlimmbesserungen
You might say that. I couldn't possibly pronounce it.
2019-01-15 07:12:49 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by Sam Plusnet
Verschlimmbesserungen
Gesundheit
Note to self: Read the boodly thread before posting.

Sorry, Fenny.