MP3 players
Add Reply
Jane Vernon
2021-06-27 09:04:10 UTC
Hello chaps,
I must apologise that I don't seem to find the time or energy for umra
much recently. Some of you may remember my double bereavement last
autumn and of course the effects, especially on my post-viral fatigue,
are still very much with me.

So I am blatantly Asking Umra for techy advice because when I asked
myself who would know, umra was the first place I thought of.

My mp3 player has died and I want to buy a new one. I am fortunate that
money is really no object where this is concerned. I am being lent an
ipod touch and have had a useful lesson in how ipods work, using itunes,
etc.

What I want really is an mp3 player which connects to the internet. Do
they exist, even? I would like to get more familiar with podcasts and
have the thought that some people are able to download straight onto
their mp3 player, but really know as little about podcasts as I do about
mp3 players.

I like the way you can create many playlists with itunes on the PC and
then synch with the ipod and they're all there. Is this sort of thing
possible with other mp3 players?

I don't like the idea of putting every single one of my existing albums
one by one onto itunes. So far I use an Android phone and did use my mp3
player, both of which I could just plug into the PC and transfer chunks
of stuff to and from. This is better for me.

Can you tell this is all an area, or rather two areas, of technology
that is as yet unknown to me? Simple steps, please!

TIA

Purple Potter
(no idea what happened to my sig for the moment)
Vicky Ayech
2021-06-27 11:02:51 UTC
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 10:04:10 +0100, Jane Vernon
Post by Jane Vernon
[...]
I tried a couple of times to get on with a device with ear bits and
where you can dl podcasts and music. Second daughter gave me one when
she upgraded years ago and I think I bought one once but I've got
funny ears, one is shallow and the wossits never worked well and now
hearing aids. I wanted one for dog walking and swimming and had
podcasts on for the pool but they just didn't work well. I think they
might even have been waterproof. This is all years ago. I gave up.

What I want now and is getting nearer is Alexa for the car and walks.
You can have all podcasts then I suppose. But it seems a shame when
walking to not concentrate on where you are. The car one is, I think,
available. I think you could have ear bits for the pool and a phone
maybe with Alexa at the pool side a while back. This is no use to
you. Sorry.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-06-27 12:12:54 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
My mp3 player has died and I want to buy a new one. I am fortunate that
money is really no object where this is concerned. I am being lent an
ipod touch and have had a useful lesson in how ipods work, using itunes,
etc.
Things that are mp3 players alone have, I think, diminished in number
considerably, with the rise of smartphones and tablets.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Jane Vernon
What I want really is an mp3 player which connects to the internet. Do
I suspect a smartphone (or app for one, if you've already got one) or
small tablet (is there really a difference between those two?) will
probably suit your needs better than something that's only an mp3
player.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Jane Vernon
they exist, even? I would like to get more familiar with podcasts and
have the thought that some people are able to download straight onto
their mp3 player, but really know as little about podcasts as I do about
mp3 players.
Some downloads that come under the general heading of podcasts -
especially TV and radio programmes - come with an expiry date/time.
There are (probably illegal, given you have to accept Ts and Cs when you
start to use a site) ways of downloading them as mp3s or videos, but
most of those need a higher operating system like Windows, and general
opinion is that Windows on tablets, though it does work, is tedious.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Jane Vernon
I like the way you can create many playlists with itunes on the PC and
then synch with the ipod and they're all there. Is this sort of thing
possible with other mp3 players?
(Sorry, don't know.)
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Jane Vernon
I don't like the idea of putting every single one of my existing albums
one by one onto itunes. So far I use an Android phone and did use my mp3
player, both of which I could just plug into the PC and transfer chunks
of stuff to and from. This is better for me.
Can you tell this is all an area, or rather two areas, of technology
that is as yet unknown to me? Simple steps, please!
Me too - but I hope the following two questions will be useful:
1. do you want it to be usable without something in your ear, i. e. to
have a speaker, or are you happy to always use
headphones/earpods/whatever?
2. Do you want the "connects to the internet" part to apply anywhere, or
just within your home? The latter just requires wi-fi, which lots of
things seem to have these days; if you want to do so when out and about
(and not just within range of public wifi, as in many shopping centres,
shops, pubs, etc.), it'll need to have a SIM slot for mobile networks,
which I _suspect_ is rare on standalone mp3 players (and isn't even
common on tablets). Though if it has wifi ability, you can (if your
tariff allows it - usually called "tethering", I think) use your mobile
as, in effect, a mini public free wifi.
I tried a couple of times to get on with a device with ear bits and
where you can dl podcasts and music. Second daughter gave me one when
she upgraded years ago and I think I bought one once but I've got
funny ears, one is shallow and the wossits never worked well and now
hearing aids. I wanted one for dog walking and swimming and had
podcasts on for the pool but they just didn't work well. I think they
might even have been waterproof. This is all years ago. I gave up.
On the 15th, I was in my local (FSVO local) Poundland, and saw some
headphones - new, in packaging - for 50p! I couldn't resist, wondering
just how cr*p they could be to be sold new for that price. I am actually
very impressed! The sound quality is good - if someone had me try them
and told me they'd cost a fiver or more, I'd have believed them - and
they weren't uncomfortable even after a while. The only downside is they
_might_ be of rather flimsy construction, but even there I'm not sure.
Anyway, I'm definitely going to buy some more pairs next time I'm there!
Anyway, they might be worth a try for you - I don't think they'd isolate
you from the surroundings, and they aren't in-ear, they're
conventional-looking headphones, but the foam pad is quite small, I'd
say a bit over an inch.
Post by Vicky Ayech
What I want now and is getting nearer is Alexa for the car and walks.
You can have all podcasts then I suppose. But it seems a shame when
walking to not concentrate on where you are. The car one is, I think,
available. I think you could have ear bits for the pool and a phone
maybe with Alexa at the pool side a while back. This is no use to
you. Sorry.

"... four Oscars, and two further nominations ... On these criteria, he's
Britain's most successful film director." Powell or Pressburger? no; Richard
Attenborough? no; Nick Park!
Jane Vernon
2021-06-28 16:37:57 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Jane Vernon
What I want really is an mp3 player which connects to the internet.  Do
I suspect a smartphone (or app for one, if you've already got one) or
small tablet (is there really a difference between those two?) will
probably suit your needs better than something that's only an mp3 player.
I use my phone sometimes for listening to music but it has drawbacks. It
ignores the folders I've carefully sorted my music into and makes it
difficult to find things. Also it ignores the music I have converted to
digital from vinyl. My old mp3 player didn't do that.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-06-28 18:24:15 UTC
On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 at 17:37:57, Jane Vernon
<***@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk> wrote (my responses usually follow
points raised):
[]
Post by Jane Vernon
I use my phone sometimes for listening to music but it has drawbacks.
It ignores the folders I've carefully sorted my music into and makes it
difficult to find things. Also it ignores the music I have converted
to digital from vinyl. My old mp3 player didn't do that.
That latter is intriguing. Are they still .mp3 files, or some other
extension? If they are, all I can think of is that the 'phone doesn't
like the data rate and/or sample rate whatever you're using to convert
produces. (There may be a quality setting you can tweak, or something.)

Practicall every British actor with a bus pass is in there ...
Barry Norman (on "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" [2011]), RT 2015/12/12-18
Sam Plusnet
2021-06-28 20:15:56 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
I use my phone sometimes for listening to music but it has drawbacks.
It ignores the folders I've carefully sorted my music into and makes
it difficult to find things.  Also it ignores the music I have
converted to digital from vinyl.  My old mp3 player didn't do that.
That latter is intriguing. Are they still .mp3 files, or some other
extension? If they are, all I can think of is that the 'phone doesn't
like the data rate and/or sample rate whatever you're using to convert
produces. (There may be a quality setting you can tweak, or something.)
It seems to me that far too many 'apps' insist that _they_ should manage
all your music and refuse to let you organise things in folders in a
fashion you deem convenient.

I don't use iTunes since it not only wants to rule the roost on my
(distress purchase) iphone, but everything I have on my PC as well.
2021-06-29 05:58:43 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
I use my phone sometimes for listening to music but it has drawbacks. It
ignores the folders I've carefully sorted my music into and makes it
difficult to find things.
A pedant writes: That is not the phone, that is the app. Try VLC or
PowerAmp which is what I use. Well worth the small charge and is easy to
find your music by artist or album and setup playlists.
What file-type are they ? Maybe the above apps can read them successfully.
krw
2021-06-27 13:25:37 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
[...]
Personally I would suggest getting a child or similar demonstrate what
you want / need working on a phone and then you only need one item
rather than two and the item will therefore be more cost efficient.
steve hague
2021-06-27 13:43:26 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
[...]
Tesco sent me a smartphone "upgrade" a few years ago. It was not much
good as a phone, but with a micro SD card, it could store a vast amount
of music. It connects to the church audio system via bluetooth, to my
hifi system via a cable going to it's jack socket, and came with
headphones. It's fully internet capable, and similar can be had for less
than £40.00.
2021-06-27 14:05:00 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
[...]
I think that I am the last one standing who still uses a bog-standard
mp3 player and I use it for the sole purpose of playing mp3s. Received
wisdom is that if you want it to play mp3s and do something else as
well, then you probably want a different device. Most people these
days listen to mp3s through their smartphone - if they have a
smartphone. Actually I believe most people these days don't even
listen to mp3s, they stream.

As far as bog-standard mp3 players go - and I know that's not what you
are asking about - I just buy the cheapest ones that take AA or AAA
batteries and look like oversized Paracetamol capsules. They don't
last very long so I generally buy them two or three at a time and when
one breaks, I move on to the next. One might ask why I don't spend
more money on a decent one. I've tried that but I found that even the
decent ones break (as indeed has yours) and the main difference is
that I've just spent more money for that privilege.

2021-06-27 16:55:17 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Hello chaps,
Hello, MOPMOB - good to hear from you.

Nick is not the very last person to use an mp3 player - I do, too, and
have done for years. I have had a couple of Sansa Clip models which are
now no longer made but this seems to be the nearest equivalent:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Clip-Jam-MP3-Player/dp/B00VXMY262

The first one lasted about 10 years before anything went wrong and the
current one is going strong. It doesn't connect to the internet, but I
love it and use it (and used its predecessor) for at least a couple of
hours a day, often more.

It takes a micro-SD card as well as the internal memory (althougb 8GB
may be enough for you). I have a large amount of music on different
cards and just change them depending on what I want to listen to. I
know nothing of iTunes; I just drag-and-drop albums, podcasts or
playlists from my laptop's files onto a card, stick the card in the
player and play it from there. Seemples. The sound is very good and it
will drive a decent pair of headphones or an external speaker without
difficulty. (I prefer wires to Bluetooth, but a little more will buy
you a Bluetooth enabled model if you want one.)

This may not be what you're looking for, but I wouldn't be without mine,
so I thought I'd mention it.
--
Sid
2021-06-28 05:35:48 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Hello chaps,
Hello, MOPMOB - good to hear from you.
<languid wave>

<snip MP3 stuff as haven't used one for yonks>
Jane Vernon
2021-06-28 16:41:37 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Hello chaps,
Hello, MOPMOB - good to hear from you.
Thank you!
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
I had a Sansa Clip Sport. It didn't do some of the things you said
yours did, unfortunately. I guess I could investigate the range and may
find something suitable. Thank you.

Purple Potter
John Armstrong
2021-06-28 08:36:16 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
[...]
As others have said, I would go the smart phone route. A good smart
phone will do all that you have asked for, and will carry an amazing
amount of music and sound recordings. It will also connect to the
internet for podcasts, BBC sounds, and other downloads.

With Bluetooth, I can connect to my hifi at home, connect to the car
audio system, and connect to earbuds, so I can seamlessly listen to
whatever I want, as playback stops when I disconnect, and picks up
from where I left off when I reconnect.
Penny
2021-06-28 08:36:48 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
My mp3 player has died and I want to buy a new one. I am fortunate that
money is really no object where this is concerned. I am being lent an
ipod touch and have had a useful lesson in how ipods work, using itunes,
etc.
What I want really is an mp3 player which connects to the internet. Do
they exist, even? I would like to get more familiar with podcasts and
have the thought that some people are able to download straight onto
their mp3 player, but really know as little about podcasts as I do about
mp3 players.
My Zen Touch would behave just like a clever phone in that respect, you
could browse the internet or just use it as an mp3 player/pocket radio. The
main problem with it, it was not recognised by any of the app stores so I
could not add any apps I might have wanted. Possibly there is a way around
this but I never found it. It died some time ago, probably after being
connected to my PC - maybe I disengaged it in the wrong fashion, I don't
know but it hasn't worked since.

My phone does not have the capacity to carry more than a couple of episodes
of a drama so I recently bought a fairly cheap little clip-on Victure mp3.
It has 16GB built in and will take an SD card. I haven't got to grips with
it yet because the first instruction was to update the firmware. It took me
a while to find the file I needed because it is not mentioned on the
company website. I emailed them and was sent the file and instructions
translated from the Chinese. I have not yet done anything with it as my
head was not in the right place.

It will certainly connect to a PC via USB, for charging or file transfer.

I too, know little about podcasts, I have downloaded them to my PC on
occasion but not sure how to subscribe for automatic delivery.
Jane Vernon
2021-06-29 12:33:16 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Hello chaps,
Many thanks for the thoughtful and helpful suggestions. I've looked
into the ideas but I have also explored the iPod that I've been given (a
purchase made in error which can't be returned) and found it seems to do
most things I want.

I could try to promise to visit umra more often, but unfortunately life
isn't really like that at the moment.
Chris
2021-06-29 18:17:02 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
Purple Potter
(no idea what happened to my sig for the moment)
It’s always good to see “Her Purpleness”

:)