UMRA birthday info for 29 December 2019
Birthday Monitor
2019-12-29 07:21:22 UTC
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Vicky Ayech
2019-12-29 09:37:00 UTC
On Sun, 29 Dec 2019 07:21:22 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Many happy returns, Sally, and if you are not fed up with food and
alcohol, then Waynes wonderful Stollen and Scruffs and SHires tonight
in the Bull?
Jenny M Benson
2019-12-29 10:17:10 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Have a wonderful day, Sally, and many happy returns!
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK
SODAM
2019-12-29 11:19:37 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Now that TA has finished, you will be free to celebrate what I hope will be
a wondrous day, full of company and kindness.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Mike
2019-12-29 11:39:40 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Now that TA has finished, you will be free to celebrate what I hope will be
a wondrous day, full of company and kindness.
But,but, but.... don’t you have the omnibus on repeat play all day???
Toodle Pip
Vicky Ayech
2019-12-29 11:42:46 UTC
TA has finished??
SODAM
2019-12-29 15:08:10 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by SODAM
Now that TA has finished, you will be free to celebrate what I hope will be
a wondrous day, full of company and kindness.
TA has finished??
Gosh, mustn’t spread too much joy at once! The omnibus has finished for
this week.

Sometimes I wish they would all fall down the pit shaft, as in The Bowmen,
especially when John kicked off on Christmas Day and That Blasted Northern
Woman blighted everyone’s celebrations uninvited.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-12-29 17:38:11 UTC
In message
<282627114.599323010.450280.kemp_m-***@news.eternal-september.or
g>, SODAM <***@talktalk.net> writes:
[]
Post by SODAM
Sometimes I wish they would all fall down the pit shaft, as in The Bowmen,
(That _was_ good, wasn't it; I wish they'd repeat it, preferably on R4
just before or after an episode of TA, rather than on R4X. Though I
suppose it would seen stilted nowadays; it's many years since I heard
it.
Post by SODAM
especially when John kicked off on Christmas Day
Yes, he does seem to have got the wrong end of the stick.
Post by SODAM
and That Blasted Northern
Woman blighted everyone’s celebrations uninvited.
I rather fear she's going to be another lazy SW's staple: when they
can't be bothered to use the real depths of her character, they wheel
out L*nda as posh towny woman who doesn't "get" country ways (and/or the
ways of the less well off); looks like Joy is going to similarly be
Blasted Northern Woman of poor social sensitivity/sensibility. (I think
she's kind and well-meaning - just sometimes doesn't "get" it, though
IMO more often than is that plausible.)

Better to be a free dog than a chained lion - "casandra" on MSE, 2016-6-29
Serena Blanchflower
2019-12-29 17:48:24 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I rather fear she's going to be another lazy SW's staple: when they
can't be bothered to use the real depths of her character, they wheel
out L*nda as posh towny woman who doesn't "get" country ways (and/or the
ways of the less well off); looks like Joy is going to similarly be
Blasted Northern Woman of poor social sensitivity/sensibility. (I think
she's kind and well-meaning - just sometimes doesn't "get" it, though
IMO more often than is that plausible.)
That's possible but I've been enjoying the fact that, for a change,
they've introduced a character who is reasonably three dimensional from
the start. All too often, new characters are either unremittingly
ghastly or improbably saintly and brilliant at everything the put their
hand to.

I assume that the care with which they've built Joy's character up means
that she's going to have a fairly meaty story line before long (and I
just hope to Dog that this doesn't involve breaking up Pat and Tony's
marriage!)
--
Best wishes, Serena
When the white missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had
them we had the Bible and they had the land. (Desmond Tutu)
krw
2019-12-30 13:18:36 UTC
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I assume that the care with which they've built Joy's character up means
that she's going to have a fairly meaty story line before long
Presumably why Rochelle won't talk to her and their eventual reconciliation.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
krw
2019-12-30 13:17:32 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by SODAM
Now that TA has finished, you will be free to celebrate what I hope will be
a wondrous day, full of company and kindness.
TA has finished??
Gosh, mustn’t spread too much joy at once! The omnibus has finished for
this week.
Sometimes I wish they would all fall down the pit shaft, as in The Bowmen,
especially when John kicked off on Christmas Day and That Blasted Northern
Woman blighted everyone’s celebrations uninvited.
Ahh but at least the latter is relevant to the season. Tom's behaviour
was simply unrealistic.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
John Finlay
I think it was Tom who kicked off - John has been dead for many a year.
krw
2019-12-30 13:31:12 UTC
Post by John Finlay
Post by SODAM
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by SODAM
Now that TA has finished, you will be free to celebrate what I hope will be
a wondrous day, full of company and kindness.
TA has finished??
Gosh, mustn’t spread too much joy at once! The omnibus has finished for
this week.
Sometimes I wish they would all fall down the pit shaft, as in The Bowmen,
especially when John kicked off on Christmas Day and That Blasted Northern
Woman blighted everyone’s celebrations uninvited.
Ahh but at least the latter is relevant to the season.  Tom's
behaviour was simply unrealistic.
I think it was Tom who kicked off - John has been dead for many a year.
Indeed it was Tom. Apologies for the error.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
SODAM
2019-12-30 16:04:48 UTC
Post by krw
Post by John Finlay
Ahh but at least the latter is relevant to the season.  Tom's
behaviour was simply unrealistic.
I think it was Tom who kicked off - John has been dead for many a year.
Indeed it was Tom. Apologies for the error.
How gallant and British of you to apologise, KRW. The error was mine, which
I blame on senility, and for which I apologise.
Jane Vernon
2019-12-29 14:55:41 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Many Happy Returns, MOPMOB!
--
Jane
BTME

Sid Nuncius
2019-12-29 18:34:45 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Happy birthday, MOPMOB!
steveski
2019-12-29 19:03:55 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Happy birthday, Sally.
Steveski
Sally Thompson
2019-12-30 13:41:03 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Many thanks to the collective umrats for the birthday wishes. OH treated me
to a roast beef lunch at a local hostelry which was very good indeed - no
room for pudding, and I was driving, so no wine. Came home to log burner,
old films on iPad, and home-made amaretto ice cream and a Baileys for
supper, which seemed like a balanced meal to me!
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Vicky Ayech
As the birthday girl, should you have been the driver?
Sally Thompson
2019-12-30 19:15:15 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Many thanks to the collective umrats for the birthday wishes. OH treated me
to a roast beef lunch at a local hostelry which was very good indeed - no
room for pudding, and I was driving, so no wine. Came home to log burner,
old films on iPad, and home-made amaretto ice cream and a Baileys for
supper, which seemed like a balanced meal to me!
As the birthday girl, should you have been the driver?
Sadly there's no choice. GP says OH can't drive for the foreseeable.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Vicky Ayech
Oh, that is understandable then :(
Sam Plusnet
2019-12-30 20:45:42 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Many thanks to the collective umrats for the birthday wishes. OH treated me
to a roast beef lunch at a local hostelry which was very good indeed - no
room for pudding, and I was driving, so no wine. Came home to log burner,
old films on iPad, and home-made amaretto ice cream and a Baileys for
supper, which seemed like a balanced meal to me!
Glad that you had a suitably splendid day, but can I ask a question?

Are there some types of film that seem suited to being watched on an iPad?
Equally, are there some films that simply don't work on such a device?

(I haven't tried to watch any video on a tablet or phone, so I have no
experience.)
Sam Plusnet
Sally Thompson
2019-12-30 22:32:02 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 December: Sally Thompson.
Many thanks to the collective umrats for the birthday wishes. OH treated me
to a roast beef lunch at a local hostelry which was very good indeed - no
room for pudding, and I was driving, so no wine. Came home to log burner,
old films on iPad, and home-made amaretto ice cream and a Baileys for
supper, which seemed like a balanced meal to me!
Glad that you had a suitably splendid day, but can I ask a question?
Are there some types of film that seem suited to being watched on an iPad?
Equally, are there some films that simply don't work on such a device?
We don't have a TV, so I only watch on an iPad. I certainly wouldn't watch
on a phone. I put it on a music stand so I don't have to hold it, and use
good headphones. It means we can be unsociable and watch different
programmes at the same time. I'm so used to it that I find the mega large
screens that some people have a bit overpowering, and it doesn't make any
difference what sort of film I watch, or what sort of programme. It's also
useful on a train or if I'm away from home.
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Sam Plusnet
2019-12-31 18:36:17 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Birthday Monitor
[...]
We do have a (fairly large) TV - but I've gotten out of the TV watching
habit, so the thing is hardly ever switched on.
I now find it easier to watch something, like a documentary, on this
here desktop PC which has a fair sized monitor.
I can't quite imagine doing the same on a laptop, and that does have a
bigger display than a tablet.
Sam Plusnet
Vicky Ayech
2019-12-31 18:53:02 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Birthday Monitor
[...]
We watch tv on tv. I don't like it on the PC as it gives me backache.
Although B watches on his tablet or laptop.
Kate B
2019-12-31 21:07:20 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Birthday Monitor
[...]
We watch on tv too. I never seem to have time to watch on my own, and
the hour after dinner to watch something irresponsible together is
something neither of us want to give up.
--
Kate B
London
Kate B
2019-12-31 21:10:09 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Birthday Monitor
[...]
Bad form to follow up oneself, I know, but I forgot to add: the tv is
32in, which seemed quite large at the time when we bought it, but in
these days of HD every time there is an on-screen text message or
significant scribble we have to pause and go and squint at it...
--
Kate B
London
Penny
2020-01-01 09:02:40 UTC
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:10:09 +0000, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
the tv is
32in, which seemed quite large at the time when we bought it, but in
these days of HD every time there is an on-screen text message or
significant scribble we have to pause and go and squint at it...
They drive me potty!
In the days before pause and rewind any important written message was read
out in the voice of the sender which was very sensible. A tiny number of
programmes display text messages etc quite large but transparent beside the
recipient for long enough to read them and who they are from and this is
ok.

The rest of them need to improve the way they deal with such things!
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959
Mike
2020-01-01 10:10:18 UTC
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
the tv is
32in, which seemed quite large at the time when we bought it, but in
these days of HD every time there is an on-screen text message or
significant scribble we have to pause and go and squint at it...
They drive me potty!
In the days before pause and rewind any important written message was read
out in the voice of the sender which was very sensible. A tiny number of
programmes display text messages etc quite large but transparent beside the
recipient for long enough to read them and who they are from and this is
ok.
The rest of them need to improve the way they deal with such things!
Not that I particularly liked the series but, the modern-day Sherlock
Holmes production put the text up on the screen but, for me a little too
briefly to see-read-understand, but I still lost the visuals for that time.
Have them readout I say!
Toodle Pip
Penny
2020-01-01 13:20:58 UTC
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 10:10:18 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
[...]
The first time they did it the scene demonstrated many identical texts were
received at the same time by multiple people - I think that was forgivable
and was the first time I had seen a text message displayed away from the
phone which received it IYSWIM. I thought it a splendid idea.
Chris McMillan
2020-01-02 19:19:01 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Penny
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
[...]
Audio description?

Sincerely Chris
krw
2020-01-01 23:22:34 UTC
Post by Kate B
Bad form to follow up oneself, I know, but I forgot to add: the tv is
32in, which seemed quite large at the time when we bought it,
We have a 37in which I thought was enormous until I went into PC World
recently and saw that I don't think I would know where to put a new TV
of the size which seemed to dominate the showroom.
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-01-02 01:02:35 UTC
Post by Penny
dust...
[]
Post by Penny
When my little kitchen TV needed replacing a while back I had some
difficulty finding one small enough to fit the available space.
Maplin used to be the only high-street retailer that sold 10" and
smaller sets.

I think you can still find them online. Possibly also
camping/caravanning suppliers?

Or charity shops, especially if you're willing to accept a CRT one; you
might find a non-CRT though. Probably need a box to go with it.

In my life I have written about six poems ... The rest of it is comedy that
happens to rhyme. - Pam Ayres, interviwed in RT 2018/3/17-23
Penny
2020-01-02 10:40:11 UTC
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 01:02:35 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Penny
dust...
[]
Post by Penny
When my little kitchen TV needed replacing a while back I had some
difficulty finding one small enough to fit the available space.
Maplin used to be the only high-street retailer that sold 10" and
smaller sets.
I think you can still find them online. Possibly also
camping/caravanning suppliers?
Or charity shops, especially if you're willing to accept a CRT one; you
might find a non-CRT though. Probably need a box to go with it.
I wanted a 17" (or slightly smaller) flat screen and could only find 2 on
offer anywhere and one of those was out of stock. I don't sit in the
kitchen and watch TV, it has to fit in the apex of the work triangle in a
space between window and cupboard.
Jenny M Benson
2020-01-02 11:06:28 UTC
Post by Penny
I wanted a 17" (or slightly smaller) flat screen and could only find 2 on
offer anywhere and one of those was out of stock. I don't sit in the
kitchen and watch TV, it has to fit in the apex of the work triangle in a
space between window and cupboard.
I forget which up=market store we were in when my sister was looking to
buy a new TV for her lounge. She found one model that looked suitable.
The sales assistant informed her that many people were choosing that one
for their kitchens.
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK
krw
2020-01-02 11:29:15 UTC
Post by Penny
When my little kitchen TV needed replacing a while back I had some
difficulty finding one small enough to fit the available space.
I face a similar problem if / when the PC monitor fails. Recent
research shows nothing of similar quality in the same size - and it fits
in a pre-built box in my "office".
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Penny
2020-01-02 19:27:16 UTC
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 11:29:15 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Penny
When my little kitchen TV needed replacing a while back I had some
difficulty finding one small enough to fit the available space.
I face a similar problem if / when the PC monitor fails. Recent
research shows nothing of similar quality in the same size - and it fits
in a pre-built box in my "office".
Aha! I think you've just solved a problem for me. I'm not short of spare
monitors but the only thing wrong with my old kitchen TV is that the sound
stopped working - it would work well as a monitor I think and having a
'wide-screen' monitor could be useful at times.
krw
2020-01-03 10:09:20 UTC
Post by Penny
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Penny
When my little kitchen TV needed replacing a while back I had some
difficulty finding one small enough to fit the available space.
I face a similar problem if / when the PC monitor fails. Recent
research shows nothing of similar quality in the same size - and it fits
in a pre-built box in my "office".
Aha! I think you've just solved a problem for me. I'm not short of spare
monitors but the only thing wrong with my old kitchen TV is that the sound
stopped working - it would work well as a monitor I think and having a
'wide-screen' monitor could be useful at times.
You are welcome!
--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk
https://tinyurl.com/KRWpics
Vicky Ayech
2019-12-31 21:40:13 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Birthday Monitor
[...]
B has the tv on now and then during the day, news or PS4, and we watch
half an hour at lunch time. CUrrently Coach Trip, otherwise 4 in a bed
:). To see people being rude to each other. Then we watch an hour or
two in the evening.
Sam Plusnet
2020-01-01 20:03:43 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Sam Plusnet
We do have a (fairly large) TV - but I've gotten out of the TV watching
habit, so the thing is hardly ever switched on.
I now find it easier to watch something, like a documentary, on this
here desktop PC which has a fair sized monitor.
I can't quite imagine doing the same on a laptop, and that does have a
bigger display than a tablet.
We watch tv on tv. I don't like it on the PC as it gives me backache.
Although B watches on his tablet or laptop.
There may be a clue here.
The chair in front of this desktop PC is very comfortable, whilst in
order to watch TV I have to sit at one end of the sofa (fighting for
space amongst the cushions and other objects that Wofe has accumulated
there). It isn't a particularly comfortable seat[1].

[1] Since Wofe spent months re-upholstering and recovering the sofa, I
shall never mention this in her hearing.
--
Sam Plusnet