OT: Ask EU No-claims discount
2019-02-07 09:31:11 UTC
We have just had a quote from Saga for insuring our car in the waife's
name rather than mine which is only £70 cheaper which seems a bit odd
considering that she has 6 years NCD and I have 0 !

Of course when I renew my insurance in 5 months, all being well, I will
then have 1 year NCD. Any suggestions as to how much that will actually
be in percentage terms ? I was thinking it would be 10% pa up to a max.
of 50%, but maybe that's unrealistic...

TIA for advice
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-02-07 10:05:45 UTC
We have just had a quote from Saga for insuring our car in the waife's
name rather than mine which is only £70 cheaper which seems a bit odd
considering that she has 6 years NCD and I have 0 !
I'm afraid we have to ask: do you have 0 because you have only recently
started driving, or have you had a major prang in the last year (and
didn't have a protected NCB)?

If it's just that you've only recently started driving, it could be that
you're nevertheless considered fairly low risk anyway. I don't know how
old you are, but I don't think you're a boy racer.

(I hate to think what it would have cost me to get insurance for my
first car now - it was a 3.3 litre! [Not something flash - I only paid
99 for it; it was a Vauxhall Ventora that had seen better days.] But
even _getting_ insurance for that, for a twentysomething beginner, these
days would probably be difficult.)
Post by BrritSki
Of course when I renew my insurance in 5 months, all being well, I will
then have 1 year NCD. Any suggestions as to how much that will actually
be in percentage terms ? I was thinking it would be 10% pa up to a
max. of 50%, but maybe that's unrealistic...
Sorry, no, but if you look at your existing insurance documents, they
usually give some indication of what NCD percentages are. They're a bit
of a con anyway: if you have a prang, your basic premium goes up, so the
NCD - even if protected - is a percentage of a higher premium.
Post by BrritSki
TIA for advice
HTH

Astaire was, of course, peerless, but it's worth remembering that Rogers does
everything he does, only backwards and in high heels. - Barry Norman in Radio
Times 5-11 January 2013
Penny
2019-02-07 10:24:11 UTC
On Thu, 7 Feb 2019 09:31:11 +0000, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
We have just had a quote from Saga for insuring our car in the waife's
name rather than mine which is only £70 cheaper which seems a bit odd
considering that she has 6 years NCD and I have 0 !
As you are (presumably) a named driver on the insurance and have zero NC it
seems generous to me. When Ray got a speeding ticket my insurance went up
for about 5 years as did his.

There was a piece about Insurance (and the non-existent 'loyalty' benefits)
on R4 recently, possibly on Moneybox. One person finally got around to
shopping around when his renewal quote from SAGA rose by several hundred
pounds for no discernable reason and found he could save many hundreds by
going elsewhere.
2019-02-07 10:39:21 UTC
We have just had a quote from Saga for insuring our car in the waife's
name rather than mine which is only £70 cheaper which seems a bit odd
considering that she has 6 years NCD and I have 0 !
As you are (presumably) a named driver on the insurance and have zero NC it
seems generous to me. When Ray got a speeding ticket my insurance went up
for about 5 years as did his.
There was a piece about Insurance (and the non-existent 'loyalty' benefits)
on R4 recently, possibly on Moneybox. One person finally got around to
shopping around when his renewal quote from SAGA rose by several hundred
pounds for no discernable reason and found he could save many hundreds by
going elsewhere.
Understood - the big bonus with Saga though is their unlimited European
driving. Nearest company was I think Aviva with Max. 6 months.

However, my ideas for lengthy trips sur le continong may well come to
nothing, esp. after Mar 29 :(