Daniel was an IVF baby
2019-02-04 10:13:35 UTC
He was made with Shula's egg and Mark's sperm. Was the ivf done after
Mark died? If so why did they have his sperm? Did Shula have
difficulty getting pregnant and they were in the middle of treatment?
Mike
2019-02-04 10:29:10 UTC
He was made with Shula's egg and Mark's sperm. Was the ivf done after
Mark died? If so why did they have his sperm? Did Shula have
difficulty getting pregnant and they were in the middle of treatment?
It is probably difficult to carry out the IVF procedure if you have a
mobile phone in one hand and the other on a steering wheel.;-)
2019-02-04 11:29:05 UTC
He was made with Shula's egg and Mark's sperm. Was the ivf done after
Mark died? If so why did they have his sperm? Did Shula have
difficulty getting pregnant and they were in the middle of treatment?
It is probably difficult to carry out the IVF procedure if you have a
mobile phone in one hand and the other on a steering wheel.;-)
I suspect it depends on whether he had any -erme- help. Like this chap:
https://tinyurl.com/y9t9ame4

2019-02-05 08:25:09 UTC
He was made with Shula's egg and Mark's sperm. Was the ivf done after
Mark died? If so why did they have his sperm? Did Shula have
difficulty getting pregnant and they were in the middle of treatment?
It is probably difficult to carry out the IVF procedure if you have a
mobile phone in one hand and the other on a steering wheel.;-)
BTN!
Yes.
Yay! Such anhonor to be nominated but... well, shall we say this new
minotaur is very unforgiving.... many a slip and all that (now where’s that
slush fund?)
2019-02-04 11:29:42 UTC
He was made with Shula's egg and Mark's sperm. Was the ivf done after
Mark died? If so why did they have his sperm? Did Shula have
difficulty getting pregnant and they were in the middle of treatment?
Shula had had an ectopic pregnancy and then, since that, had been unable
to conceive again. She and Mark had started IVF treatment before he
died (I can't remember whether this was their first attempt at IVF or if
they'd had previous, unsuccessful attempts). IIRC, the egg had been
implanted a day or so before his accident and she nearly didn't go ahead
with all the hormone treatments necessary to allow it to develop into a
pregnancy. Dr Dick gave her a huge amount of support and gave her the
daily injections she needed (which, under other circumstances, she would
have been expected to give herself or to get Mark to help her).
Some people's idea of [free speech] is that they are free to say what
they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage.
(Winston Churchill)
BrritSki
I say Serena, this is a family newsgroup your know...
carolet
2019-02-04 12:54:44 UTC
He was made with Shula's egg and Mark's sperm. Was the ivf done after
Mark died? If so why did they have his sperm? Did Shula have
difficulty getting pregnant and they were in the middle of treatment?
Shula had had an ectopic pregnancy and then, since that, had been unable
to conceive again.  She and Mark had started IVF treatment before he
died (I can't remember whether this was their first attempt at IVF or if
they'd had previous, unsuccessful attempts).  IIRC, the egg had been
implanted a day or so before his accident and she nearly didn't go ahead
with all the hormone treatments necessary to allow it to develop into a
pregnancy.  Dr Dick gave her a huge amount of support and gave her the
daily injections she needed (which, under other circumstances, she would
have been expected to give herself or to get Mark to help her).
They certainly had at least one failed attempt before the one that
resulted in Daniel. We heard about that first attempt as it was
happening. We may have heard that they were planning on having another
go, but I don't think we knew that it was underway until after Mark was
dead, not until we heard the doctor remind her to continue with the
injections.

My second IVF baby was born in the same month that Mark died, and I was
closely following their story. I have a memory of being surprised and
delighted that she still had a chance of having a baby, though I would
have preferred it if they could have given Mark the same chance.

I don't know whether Shula/Mark had been doing her injections before his
demise, or whether the plan always was that the doctor should give them.
(Mine were done by a nurse/doctor at the local health centre, so I
wasn't surprised that Richard was doing them for Shula.)
2019-02-04 14:13:24 UTC
[...]
When you refer to "injections", are you talking of the turkey baster
activities, or the hormones to which Serena refers?

"Usenet is a way of being annoyed by people you otherwise never would have
met."
- John J. Kinyon
carolet
2019-02-04 19:46:13 UTC
[...]
Injections of hormones.

When people talk about using a turkey baster in connection with assisted
conception, I think they are usually referring to artificial
insemination, where it is used to place the semen in the optimal
position at the optimal time. One reason for doing this is when the
sperm is provided by a donor, as was the case for Helen, with Henry.

With IVF, the woman is first given hormones to ripen multiple eggs at a
known time, and to bring the uterus to the optimum state . Ultrasound
examination shows when they are ripe and they are collected via keyhole
surgery. The eggs are then mixed with the man's semen "in vitro". (I
think this "vitro" in more akin to a petrie dish than the test tube that
this technique's other name may lead you to suppose.)

Some time later the result is examined to see whether any embryos have
formed, I think they generally grow/grew them to the 4-cell stage.
Assuming that this produces the desired result, the healthiest looking
ones are replaced in the woman's uterus (any spares can be frozen and
used later). I suppose the instrument used to do this embyro replacement
could be described as a turkey baster too (though that had not occurred
to me until now). After this different hormones are given to help
maintain any resulting pregnancy.

In my/Shula's day all of these hormones were given as daily injections.
They started some weeks before the procedure and continued well into the
pregnacy (if successful). I am talking about 25 years ago though, I
think that they moved on to giving these hormones as nasal sprays not so
long after, and many other aspects of the treatment may well have
changed by now.

I presume that Lexi and the egg donor have each gone through something
similar to this to create Adam and Ian's baby. The egg donation would
certainly require hormones to produce eggs that can be collected. IVF
would then give the precious eggs their best chance. If Lexi had been
willing to use her own eggs, then artificial insemination might have
been an easier way to proceed, certainly cheaper.
2019-02-04 14:42:19 UTC
[...]
Yes, I'd had a feeling they'd had an earlier, failed attempt but I
couldn't remember for certain. My memory was that we had heard that
they were making a further attempt, before Mark was killed, but I'm not
certain and I suspect you were more focussed on this storyline than I
was at the time, and so more likely to remember it correctly.
Post by carolet
My second IVF baby was born in the same month that Mark died, and I was
closely following their story. I have a memory of being surprised and
delighted that she still had a chance of having a baby, though I would
have preferred it if they could have given Mark the same chance.
I don't know whether Shula/Mark had been doing her injections before his
demise, or whether the plan always was that the doctor should give them.
(Mine were done by a nurse/doctor at the local health centre, so I
wasn't surprised that Richard was doing them for Shula.)
My memory is that it had been going to be either Shula or Mark doing the
injections and I suspect it was probably Mark, if only for dramatic
purposes.
I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.
carolet
2019-02-04 19:47:00 UTC
Post by carolet
My second IVF baby was born in the same month that Mark died, and I
was closely following their story. I have a memory of being surprised
and delighted that she still had a chance of having a baby, though I
would have preferred it if they could have given Mark the same chance.
I don't know whether Shula/Mark had been doing her injections before
his demise, or whether the plan always was that the doctor should give
them. (Mine were done by a nurse/doctor at the local health centre, so
I wasn't surprised that Richard was doing them for Shula.)
My memory is that it had been going to be either Shula or Mark doing the
injections and I suspect it was probably Mark, if only for dramatic
purposes.
You could well be right. Some people certainly did it themselves. I
don't know that I would have been very happy at the prospect of
injecting myself, though, or letting my husband do it, even if he had
been willing.
2019-02-04 11:33:16 UTC
He was made with Shula's egg and Mark's sperm.
Mmm, egg and spam.....

That's what IRTA anyway...