OT: Massive parental KF
Add Reply
Dumrat
2019-11-11 22:03:44 UTC
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism and Conflict
Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
Jenny M Benson
2019-11-11 22:27:02 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism
and Conflict Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with
Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Oh jolly well done that dorter! And jolly well done that mother for
raising her so well!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-11-11 23:15:34 UTC
Well done.
Penny
2019-11-11 23:37:51 UTC
On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 02:03:44 +0400, Dumrat <***@gmail.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism and Conflict
Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Hurrah!
2019-11-11 23:49:30 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism
and Conflict Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with
Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Am I missing something as usual, or are you suggesting dorter's
qualification might not be all that useful? (I'd be inclined to agree,
just not used to seeing a Proud Parent saying that sort of thing in a
[moderately] public place.)

(I guess there _are_ openings for people with such a qualification -
perhaps with charitable organisations. But rather few.)

My Mum used to say her degree in Mediæval French wasn't very
economically useful.

If you want to make people angry, lie to them. If you want to make them
absolutely livid, then tell 'em the truth.
Dumrat
2019-11-12 07:01:08 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism and Conflict
Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Am I missing something as usual, or are you suggesting dorter's qualification might not be
all that useful? (I'd be inclined to agree, just not used to seeing a Proud Parent saying
that sort of thing in a [moderately] public place.)
(I guess there _are_ openings for people with such a qualification - perhaps with
charitable organisations. But rather few.)
My Mum used to say her degree in Mediæval French wasn't very economically useful.
As a proud parent, I'm saying nothing more, except I said the same as your mother about my
own degree in French.
BrritSki
2019-11-12 08:57:56 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in
Humanitarianism and Conflict Response from the University of
Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
My Mum used to say her degree in Mediæval French wasn't very
economically useful.
As a proud parent, I'm saying nothing more, except I said the same as
your mother about my own degree in French.
On a more serious note, I don't think a good degree is ever wasted.

My personal opinion is that we send FAR too many youngsters to
University, mainly as a way of getting them off the unemployment
register. In my day it was about 5%, which was far too low, but 50% is
the opposite extreme and we should be somewhere in the middle and then
scrap tuition fees entirely (although that means that rich dimbos can
still go, ho hum).

Having said that, I don't think that we should only offer directly
practical degrees. Some are certainly Mickey Mouse [1] but there is
benefit from Classics, Archaeology, Humanitarianism, French etc apart
from the enormous less tangible benefit to the individual from 3 years
at Uni if they are ready for it. I certainly wasn't at just 18 and a few
days, and maybe I would never have had the discipline and focus, but if
we hadn't gone to Italy I would certainly have considered a mature
degree when we retired in something like Creative Writing or Archaeology.

[1] DRothers very bright eldest son did such a degree, Music Technology
and got a first, but that gave him the confidence to try something
better after a torrid time at school (where he wasn't intellectually
challenged) and now is a Doctor himself like his Dad.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-12 13:04:58 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
<***@gmail.com> writes:
On a more serious note, I don't think a good degree is ever wasted.
I think the experience of being at uni teaches more than the nominal
subject; it teaches you to think (reason), for a start, or at least it
should. (I remember the ability to hold two conversations at once, for
example. Not sure I still can, but that's another matter.)
Post by BrritSki
My personal opinion is that we send FAR too many youngsters to
University, mainly as a way of getting them off the unemployment
register. In my day it was about 5%, which was far too low, but 50% is
the opposite extreme and we should be somewhere in the middle and then
Agreed, on both counts.
Post by BrritSki
scrap tuition fees entirely (although that means that rich dimbos can
I think "student debt" is much abused as a concept, by both sides. You
don't _start_ to pay it off until you're earning more than x, and then
at only 9% of the part of your earnings above that; and any outstanding
after 30 years is written off. Tell me _any_ other sort of "debt" that
is similar to that.
Post by BrritSki
still go, ho hum).
Filtering by ability should definitely be done on entry, to avoid
wasting everybody's time (and money), including that of the (potential)
student. There should of course be care taken not to discriminate
against the disadvantaged (or, if you like, not to further the
advantages of the privileged). I suspect that such filtering still does
take place, however; I certainly hope so.
Post by BrritSki
Having said that, I don't think that we should only offer directly
practical degrees.
No, but the _mix_ may need some attention. I know that _any_ such
limitation (on people doing the subject they want) risks missing out on
potential poet laureates and the like, but I think _some_ practicality
is needed (i. e. matching of supply to demand, with _some_ slack).
Post by BrritSki
Some are certainly Mickey Mouse [1] but there is
benefit from Classics, Archaeology, Humanitarianism, French etc apart
from the enormous less tangible benefit to the individual from 3 years
at Uni if they are ready for it.
Yes, definitely: time spent in that atmosphere is beneficial. Also, many
aren't _capable_ of doing (say) engineering. Ideally, there should be
some way of providing the "exercise for the mind" to all, _perhaps_
_separated_ from the actual subject learning; I don't know how this
would be achieved, though.

(I wouldn't put French in with the others. OK, we can argue endlessly
about the relevance of the _components_ of a French degree, but
linguists in general are needed. [Do we have an excess of graduates in
French? I don't know.])
Post by BrritSki
I certainly wasn't at just 18 and a few days, and maybe I would never
I did a 1-3-1 (year in industry before the course), and feel I got more
out of my time at uni because of that; I think it would benefit
everybody, but can see it might not be possible.
Post by BrritSki
have had the discipline and focus, but if we hadn't gone to Italy I
would certainly have considered a mature degree when we retired in
something like Creative Writing or Archaeology.
[1] DRothers very bright eldest son did such a degree, Music Technology
I wouldn't consider that a "Mickey Mouse" subject; if it does what the
name suggests, I'd imagine it to include a fair bit of mechanical
physics as well as electronics. I'd not heard of it before (but that
applies to many courses available nowadays).
Post by BrritSki
and got a first, but that gave him the confidence to try something
better after a torrid time at school (where he wasn't intellectually
challenged) and now is a Doctor himself like his Dad.
Good on/for him.

The war was over, but all those people were still dead - explainer why the
atmosphere of VE-day did not seem right to her; "Today" 2015-4-27
Chris McMillan
2019-11-12 17:03:03 UTC
Post by BrritSki
and got a first, but that gave him the confidence to try something
better after a torrid time at school (where he wasn't intellectually
challenged) and now is a Doctor himself like his Dad.
Good on/for him.
Music technology appeared in 2000 at college level, then ‘new university’
level. It was then a very practical hands on course. Most people only
want to know how to perform and record material. Wunderkind only wanted to
go into radio as a technician or there might be a better word for her.
Looks over shoulder at McT. Or Jack of all trades, master of it all as she
has taught the skills and maintained a radio station.

2019-11-12 16:52:55 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Dumrat
[...]
Served our Wunderkind perfectly for 18 years, music technology BA Hons

She said as a young teen she wanted a similar job to her dad but better (in
his day, it was still possible to do it without a degree, by the tine
Wunderkind tried applying for an audio technician in a *private* school,
she needed a second degree and languages qualifications over GCSE!

2019-11-12 17:36:17 UTC
[1] DRothers very bright eldest son did such a degree, Music Technology
and got a first,
Served our Wunderkind perfectly for 18 years, music technology BA Hons
Sorry, I am only reporting what he said about it. Maybe wunderkind's was
better for what she wanted to do. Nepling's didn't help him get a job so
he worked on building sites for several years while studying to get the
science understanding he needed for medical school.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-12 18:13:38 UTC
[1] DRothers very bright eldest son did such a degree, Music Technology
and got a first,
Served our Wunderkind perfectly for 18 years, music technology BA Hons
Sorry, I am only reporting what he said about it. Maybe wunderkind's
was better for what she wanted to do. Nepling's didn't help him get a
job so he worked on building sites for several years while studying to
get the science understanding he needed for medical school.
Kudos.

I used to dream of the day when linux was as stable as windows. Never did I
imagine that parity would be achieved by windows declining into the chaos that
engulfs and stifles linux.
- mike <***@netzero.net> in alt.windows7.general, 2018-4-1
Sid Nuncius
2019-11-13 15:35:13 UTC
[1] DRothers very bright eldest son did such a degree, Music Technology
and got a first,
Served our Wunderkind perfectly for 18 years, music technology BA Hons
Sorry, I am only reporting what he said about it. Maybe wunderkind's was
better for what she wanted to do. Nepling's didn't help him get a job so
he worked on building sites for several years while studying to get the
science understanding he needed for medical school.
It was perfect BUT it wasn’t open to her till post A level age, however
with several years experience, and Mike was known by the staff she went in
at 16. I’ve long forgotten that her mutual friends from those five years
are older than her. She wasn’t able to take part to the full in some
evening placements without either string pulling or leaving the premises at
an earlier time. I have no idea how she would have filled the sixth form
years otherwise apart from unhappily. It would be another three or four
years before music technology made it into schools with student radio
stations etc

2019-11-12 08:28:53 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism
and Conflict Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with
Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Am I missing something as usual, or are you suggesting dorter's
qualification might not be all that useful?
Au contraire. I understand there's an opening as head of the White Helmets.

Please note I have almost resisted any reference to "opening" and
"helmets" (of any colour). Umrats should follow this wise example.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-11-12 08:56:15 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in
Humanitarianism and Conflict Response from the University of
Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Am I missing something as usual, or are you suggesting dorter's
qualification might not be all that useful?
Au contraire. I understand there's an opening as head of the White Helmets.
Please note I have almost resisted any reference to "opening" and
"helmets" (of any colour). Umrats should follow this wise example.
BTN!
I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns
it on, I go to the library and read a good book (Groucho Marx)
Sid Nuncius
Min
2019-11-13 00:59:44 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in
Humanitarianism and Conflict Response from the University of
Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Am I missing something as usual, or are you suggesting dorter's
qualification might not be all that useful?
Au contraire. I understand there's an opening as head of the White Helmets.
Please note I have almost resisted any reference to "opening" and
"helmets" (of any colour). Umrats should follow this wise example.
BTN!
Yes.
Now hang on a minute - never mind BT or otherwise - I have spent this thread
wondering why an excellent degree in Humanitarianism and Conflict Response
(many congratulations to Gumrat's dorter!) was necessary for the Royal Signals
Motorcycle Display team. I have since Googled and discovered that the excellent group BrritSki referenced (apologies to BrritSki, who I thought was confusing Blue Helmets - possibly an even more suitable subject for BT...) lost its (British) founder yesterday in a "fall" from an Istanbul balcony.
Min
BrritSki
I'm glad you're paying attention at the back there :)
Dumrat
2019-11-13 17:03:38 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Dumrat
[...]
Thank you for the explanation, Min, as I was similarly confused and missed the reference
completely, what with being flooded out in Dubai! Brritski actually has it spot on, the
dorter is currently volunteering with Syrian refugees (amongst others), and that is the
kind of role she would like to fulfil, eventually, though as far as I know, she hasn't
been recruited by MI6. As it is, she is presently "zero hours contract worker, MA". We
would have preferred her to study international law but it's not going to happen.
(Coincidentally, the husbad is in Istanbul on biz, but he only went there yesterday, I
promise.)

Thank you to everyone for kindly enabling my flashy knickers - I think you've known her
since she was but a four-year-old, so her success is vicariously Umratic, of course!
BrritSki
2019-11-13 17:10:05 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Min
Post by Dumrat
[...]
Well she would say that wouldn't she ?
So we're all to blame ! :)
Penny
2019-11-13 19:23:09 UTC
On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 21:03:38 +0400, Dumrat <***@gmail.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Dumrat
what with being flooded out in Dubai!
I noticed that and failed to comment having just read a post from one of my
S African cousins who had spent a few days there. I went off to ask him if
he got wet (no, but the storm delayed his flight home) and then couldn't
find your post again.
Dumrat
2019-11-15 08:00:32 UTC
the dust...
Post by Dumrat
what with being flooded out in Dubai!
I noticed that and failed to comment having just read a post from one of my
S African cousins who had spent a few days there. I went off to ask him if
he got wet (no, but the storm delayed his flight home) and then couldn't
find your post again.
We have recently moved to the other end of town, close to the Dubai Mall, of which you may
have seen videos last week. We are bracing ourselves for next week's forecast storms, as
depending on the way the rain slants (sounds like a British Rail excuse from Reggie Perrin
days!), our bedroom and living-room may well both flood as this house was built before
cloud-seeding became a thing, and can only withstand heat and sun.
Chris McMillan

2019-11-12 00:04:54 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism
and Conflict Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with
Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Respec' to dorter.
2019-11-12 07:12:53 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism
and Conflict Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with
Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Brava!
2019-11-12 08:26:22 UTC
Oh, well done that girl ! Conga-rats !!!
Sam Plusnet
2019-11-12 21:18:50 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism
and Conflict Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with
Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Oh, well done that girl !   Conga-rats !!!
Indeed. Huuuge knickers run up the highest flagpole available.
2019-11-12 08:55:12 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism
and Conflict Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with
Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Surely it would only have been on a par with Joe's hangover cure, if the
cure had actually worked. As things are, it far exceeds it! Many
huzzahs for dorter - and for her anxious parents. Fingers crossed she
can now find the kind of role she's hoping for.
A man who trusts nobody is apt to be the kind of man nobody trusts
(Harold MacMillan)
Vicky Ayech
2019-11-12 09:43:42 UTC
Dorter has done OK and I also blame the parents ;).
Mike
2019-11-12 09:48:37 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism and Conflict
Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
I think there is a certain Mr. Trump who requires her services.... Well
done that DorterofDumrat.
2019-11-12 14:56:39 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism and Conflict
Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Oh, well done dorter!

And well done parents of dorter who raised a child who could achieve
all that!

Brilliant news!

Nick (OK I'll stop with the exclamation marks now, shall I?)
Mike
2019-11-12 16:08:00 UTC
Post by Dumrat
The dorter has achieved a Master's with Distinction in Humanitarianism and Conflict
Response from the University of Manchester. On a par with Joe's hangover cure, we feel!
Oh, well done dorter!
And well done parents of dorter who raised a child who could achieve
all that!
Brilliant news!
Nick (OK I'll stop with the exclamation marks now, shall I?)
Nothing like going out with a bang...