Umratssdottirs
2019-12-23 06:18:27 UTC
May I recommend yesterday's Early Music Show from Radio 3?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000cm4y
It features Stile Antico singing some sublime music, and among the four
members of Stile Antico talking on the programme are not one but two
daughters of John Ashby, Umrat of Good Standing[1]. I thought it was a
cracking programme, Kate and Helen were excellent contributors and it
makes lovely seasonal listening.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

[1]Just leave it, Brritski. It's Christmas.
Oh no it's not !
Chris McMillan
Wow! Will listen again. (Don’t often listen to Early Music Show)
Mike
2019-12-24 13:40:06 UTC
May I recommend yesterday's Early Music Show from Radio 3?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000cm4y
It features Stile Antico singing some sublime music, and among the four
members of Stile Antico talking on the programme are not one but two
daughters of John Ashby, Umrat of Good Standing[1].  I thought it was a
cracking programme, Kate and Helen were excellent contributors and it
makes lovely seasonal listening.
This has been a Public Service Announcement.
[1]Just leave it, Brritski.  It's Christmas.
Oh no it's not !
Wow! Will listen again. (Don’t often listen to Early Music Show)
If one misses the first broadcast, I suppose one must listen twice via
‘Listen Again’ to comply with the name of the facility? (But, of course the
first hearing won’t count as ‘Again’)
2019-12-23 07:35:39 UTC
May I recommend yesterday's Early Music Show from Radio 3?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000cm4y
It features Stile Antico singing some sublime music, and among the four
members of Stile Antico talking on the programme are not one but two
daughters of John Ashby, Umrat of Good Standing[1].  I thought it was a
cracking programme, Kate and Helen were excellent contributors and it
makes lovely seasonal listening.
This has been a Public Service Announcement.
[1]Just leave it, Brritski.  It's Christmas.
Point of order, there were actually six members (50%) involved, and
judging from the photo of the recording session there was also a
(silent) grand-rat in the studio.

Thank you, Sid, modesty forbade...

For a capella singing of a different style, yesterday's Broadcasting
House had a short story by Michael Morpurgo which featured a former
net-friend of mine (from misc.writing), Jacey Bedford, as one third of
Artisan singing While Shepherds Watched to the tune of On Ilkley Moor
(which sounds like ISIHAC but is, apparently, A Thing).

john
Mike Ruddock
2019-12-23 08:47:57 UTC
[...]
I thought that that was well known. As I heard it a party of singers
from (I think) a Methodist church were on a picnic and began to sing "On
Ilkey Moor " to a tune they all knew which was the one customarily (at
least at that time/place) used for "While Shepherds . ."

Mike Ruddock
BrritSki
2019-12-23 09:02:29 UTC
[...]
It is indeed. I've sung it myself at the Tamar Inn in Calstock on Boxing
Day with lots of lovely other carols.

Fine knickers, modestly displayed. Well done John and Johnsdottirs.
Chris J Dixon
2019-12-23 09:24:04 UTC
For a capella singing of a different style, yesterday's Broadcasting
House had a short story by Michael Morpurgo which featured a former
net-friend of mine (from misc.writing), Jacey Bedford, as one third of
Artisan singing While Shepherds Watched to the tune of On Ilkley Moor
(which sounds like ISIHAC but is, apparently, A Thing).
I was only half awake when that played, I must listen again - I
have known Artisan for some years.

The multiplicity of tunes used for While Shepherds... was also
mentioned during:

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000csd6/britains-christmas-story-series-1-episode-2>

Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years) and she says she sings six versions of the hundreds
that exist.

This evening I hope to be joining in with several versions at a
local folk club.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
Anne B
2019-12-23 09:56:58 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by John Ashby
For a capella singing of a different style, yesterday's Broadcasting
House had a short story by Michael Morpurgo which featured a former
net-friend of mine (from misc.writing), Jacey Bedford, as one third of
Artisan singing While Shepherds Watched to the tune of On Ilkley Moor
(which sounds like ISIHAC but is, apparently, A Thing).
I was only half awake when that played, I must listen again - I
have known Artisan for some years.
The multiplicity of tunes used for While Shepherds... was also
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000csd6/britains-christmas-story-series-1-episode-2>
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years) and she says she sings six versions of the hundreds
that exist.
This evening I hope to be joining in with several versions at a
local folk club.
Chris
I heard on ClassicFM the other day the words of a fairly cheerful carol
I've always quite liked sung to a dirge of a tune more suited to a
funeral than to tidings of joy.

Anne B
Sid Nuncius
2019-12-23 18:20:00 UTC
On 23/12/2019 09:24, Chris J Dixon wrote:

<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years)
<very impressed>
I love Kate Rusby's work. And although Christmas albums are almost
invariably dreadful[1], her Christmas/winter albums are uniformly
excellent (including the recent Holly Head). She is, in short, brilliant.

[1]I know of only a very few other exceptions to this rule: A Christmas
Gift For You From Phil Spector and Strange Communion by Thea Gilmore,
and I quite like Maddy Prior's collections of carols in smallish doses.
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
2019-12-23 18:38:03 UTC
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
The Vince Guaraldi Trio's soundtrack for "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a
favourite of mine. Not one to be listened to at any other time of year
though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0090X4H0W
Hbunnet
2019-12-23 19:49:00 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
The Vince Guaraldi Trio's soundtrack for "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a
favourite of mine. Not one to be listened to at any other time of year
though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0090X4H0W
Christmas in the Heart : Bob Dylan
so bad it's good.
Hbunnet
Sid Nuncius
2019-12-24 06:13:00 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
Christmas in the Heart : Bob Dylan
so bad it's good.
Not for me, I'm afraid. I just find it So Bad, without the It's Good
bit - on a par with those two frightful albums he made of covers of
Sinatra standards and other stuff.
2019-12-24 10:06:33 UTC
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 19:49:00 +0000, Hbunnet
Post by Hbunnet
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
The Vince Guaraldi Trio's soundtrack for "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a
favourite of mine. Not one to be listened to at any other time of year
though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0090X4H0W
Christmas in the Heart : Bob Dylan
so bad it's good.
For a big Dylan fan nothing is very too bad. I love even his cover of
Elverlys Brothers Dream. The title track of this album, Christmas in
the heart is nice.
Sid Nuncius
2019-12-24 06:04:07 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
The Vince Guaraldi Trio's soundtrack for "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is a
favourite of mine. Not one to be listened to at any other time of year
though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0090X4H0W
Thanks, Jim. I've had a listen and while it's not really my thing, I
can see why you like it. It certainly qualifies as a non-terrible
Christmas album, IMO.
2019-12-24 08:33:55 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
The Vince Guaraldi Trio's soundtrack for "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is
a favourite of mine. Not one to be listened to at any other time of
year though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0090X4H0W
Thanks, Jim. I've had a listen and while it's not really my thing, I
can see why you like it. It certainly qualifies as a non-terrible
Christmas album, IMO.
I though it might not be anyrat's thing. I just wanted to offset the
outburst of folkiness around these parts. There's been more than enough
of that on Radio 3 as well in recent days, IMO.
2019-12-24 10:09:25 UTC
On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 09:06:07 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
The Vince Guaraldi Trio's soundtrack for "A Charlie Brown Christmas" is
a favourite of mine. Not one to be listened to at any other time of
year though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0090X4H0W
Thanks, Jim. I've had a listen and while it's not really my thing, I
can see why you like it. It certainly qualifies as a non-terrible
Christmas album, IMO.
I though it might not be anyrat's thing. I just wanted to offset the
outburst of folkiness around these parts. There's been more than enough
of that on Radio 3 as well in recent days, IMO.
:o)
Sorry about that. Mind you, I've watched all of Country Music by Ken
Burns on BBC Four recently (with great enjoyment) so you're probably
lucky to have got[1] away with just folkiness.
[1] And probably lucky to have got away without me saying "gotten away
with" after seeing nine whole episodes. :o)
I think we've seen five or six and are enjoying them very much. Last
was 73-83, Dolly branches out etc.
BrritSki
2019-12-24 14:01:19 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Never heard them called that before.

And I'm surprised they're so uneven.
John Ashby

ITYM oDD
Mike Ruddock
2019-12-24 08:59:51 UTC
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years)
<very impressed>
I love Kate Rusby's work.  And although Christmas albums are almost
invariably dreadful[1], her Christmas/winter albums are uniformly
excellent (including the recent Holly Head).  She is, in short, brilliant.
[1]I know of only a very few other exceptions to this rule: A Christmas
Gift For You From Phil Spector and Strange Communion by Thea Gilmore,
and I quite like Maddy Prior's collections of carols in smallish doses.
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
A chap called Bach did a pretty good one, though that was some years ago
now.

Mike Ruddock
Sid Nuncius
2019-12-24 09:07:18 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years)
<very impressed>
I love Kate Rusby's work.  And although Christmas albums are almost
invariably dreadful[1], her Christmas/winter albums are uniformly
excellent (including the recent Holly Head).  She is, in short, brilliant.
[1]I know of only a very few other exceptions to this rule: A
Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector and Strange Communion by Thea
Gilmore, and I quite like Maddy Prior's collections of carols in
smallish doses. I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any
other Christmas albums are genuinely good.
A chap called Bach did a pretty good one, though that was some years ago
now.
:o)) Fair point, Mike.
2019-12-24 22:44:35 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years)
<very impressed>
I love Kate Rusby's work.  And although Christmas albums are almost
invariably dreadful[1], her Christmas/winter albums are uniformly
excellent (including the recent Holly Head).  She is, in short, brilliant.
[1]I know of only a very few other exceptions to this rule: A
Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector and Strange Communion by Thea
Gilmore, and I quite like Maddy Prior's collections of carols in
smallish doses. I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any
other Christmas albums are genuinely good.
A chap called Bach did a pretty good one, though that was some years ago
now.
Dunno why he never recorded it himself.
2019-12-25 08:43:51 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years)
<very impressed>
I love Kate Rusby's work.  And although Christmas albums are almost
invariably dreadful[1], her Christmas/winter albums are uniformly
excellent (including the recent Holly Head).  She is, in short, brilliant.
[1]I know of only a very few other exceptions to this rule: A
Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector and Strange Communion by Thea
Gilmore, and I quite like Maddy Prior's collections of carols in
smallish doses. I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any
other Christmas albums are genuinely good.
A chap called Bach did a pretty good one, though that was some years ago
now.
Dunno why he never recorded it himself.
Maybe the tape snarled up - but his organ worked well.
2019-12-25 08:46:53 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years)
<very impressed>
I love Kate Rusby's work.  And although Christmas albums are almost
invariably dreadful[1], her Christmas/winter albums are uniformly
excellent (including the recent Holly Head).  She is, in short, brilliant.
[1]I know of only a very few other exceptions to this rule: A
Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector and Strange Communion by Thea
Gilmore, and I quite like Maddy Prior's collections of carols in
smallish doses. I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any
other Christmas albums are genuinely good.
A chap called Bach did a pretty good one, though that was some years ago
now.
Dunno why he never recorded it himself.
Maybe the tape snarled up - but his organ worked well.
It was organ, organ all the time with him.

Allegedly.
2019-12-25 08:54:41 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
It is alleged that a poster that proclaimed ‘Bach’s Organ Works’ was
annotated with something like the word ‘Evidently’ . ;-)))
2019-12-25 20:39:26 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
There was a whole family of Bachs - and some were quite large, strangely
enough.
Well toccata and fugue me...
Mike
2019-12-25 12:24:12 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Sid Nuncius
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
Pass me a caglia will you - thanks.
2019-12-26 07:15:55 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
A chap called Bach did a pretty good one, though that was some years ago
now.
Dunno why he never recorded it himself.
Maybe the tape snarled up - but his organ worked well.
It was organ, organ all the time with him.
Well toccata and fugue me...
He's dead and boureéd now.
2019-12-26 09:03:14 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
A chap called Bach did a pretty good one, though that was some years ago
now.
Dunno why he never recorded it himself.
Maybe the tape snarled up - but his organ worked well.
It was organ, organ all the time with him.
Well toccata and fugue me...
He's dead and boureéd now.
It was the censor wot dunnit; once they found that hair on a g-string...
Steve Hague
2019-12-24 10:02:56 UTC
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years)
<very impressed>
I love Kate Rusby's work.  And although Christmas albums are almost
invariably dreadful[1], her Christmas/winter albums are uniformly
excellent (including the recent Holly Head).  She is, in short, brilliant.
[1]I know of only a very few other exceptions to this rule: A Christmas
Gift For You From Phil Spector and Strange Communion by Thea Gilmore,
and I quite like Maddy Prior's collections of carols in smallish doses.
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
I totally agree about the wonderful Kate Rusby, although Christmas music
in general leaves me cold. An exception is "Mary Did You Know?" as
performed by CeeLo Green.
2019-12-24 10:22:25 UTC
On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 18:20:00 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
<snippage>
Post by Chris J Dixon
Gareth visited Kate Rusby at home (a family I have known for over
30 years)
<very impressed>
I love Kate Rusby's work. And although Christmas albums are almost
invariably dreadful[1], her Christmas/winter albums are uniformly
excellent (including the recent Holly Head). She is, in short, brilliant.
[1]I know of only a very few other exceptions to this rule: A Christmas
Gift For You From Phil Spector and Strange Communion by Thea Gilmore,
and I quite like Maddy Prior's collections of carols in smallish doses.
I'd be interested to know whether umrats think any other Christmas
albums are genuinely good.
I don't think I actually own a Christmas Album - although one of my
Kate Rusby albums has little lights on the cover (Nick's Chrismas
Quiz: guess which one?) it's not a Christmas Album per se and I do n't
own any of her Christmas ones. I think there are enough really good
Christmas and Christmas-themed songs to put together a cracking
double-album compilation but I don't think that's what you meant.

I've told umra before that my special Christmas album is Neil Young's
Silver and Gold and that's purely for sentimental reasons. A Christmas
gift, I unwrapped it and played it in the early hours of that
Christmas morning while I was preparing the food for later. Neil Young
brought his acoustic guitar into the kitchen and sat down and strummed
a few chords while I covered my arms and everything else in flour and
butter and a little later Emmylou Harris slipped in through the back
door and joined in. Absolutely magical.

2019-12-24 12:49:37 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by John Ashby
[...]
Watched epi 1 last night. I enjoyed it. Lots of things I didn’t know.

2019-12-24 01:10:38 UTC
May I recommend yesterday's Early Music Show from Radio 3?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000cm4y
It features Stile Antico singing some sublime music, and among the
four members of Stile Antico talking on the programme are not one but
two daughters of John Ashby, Umrat of Good Standing[1].  I thought it
was a cracking programme, Kate and Helen were excellent contributors
and it makes lovely seasonal listening.
This has been a Public Service Announcement.
[1]Just leave it, Brritski.  It's Christmas.
I wasn't tempted to make any off-colour comment, but did wonder if Good
Standing might be just down the road from Little Snoring and the like.
(Or was that what you meant, and I'm being unjust to Brritski!)
Artisan singing While Shepherds Watched to the tune of On Ilkley Moor
(which sounds like ISIHAC but is, apparently, A Thing).
john
I can't make it fit:
While shepherds watched their flocks
by night all seated on
the ground, the angel of

and so on. I'm obviously missing something. (Apart from the obvious.)

History is not the past. It is the method we have evolved of organising our
ignorance of the past. - Hilary Mantel, first Reith Lecture 2017
Sid Nuncius
2019-12-24 06:00:28 UTC
May I recommend yesterday's Early Music Show from Radio 3?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000cm4y
It features Stile Antico singing some sublime music, and among the
four  members of Stile Antico talking on the programme are not one
but two  daughters of John Ashby, Umrat of Good Standing[1].  I
thought it was a  cracking programme, Kate and Helen were excellent
contributors and it  makes lovely seasonal listening.
 This has been a Public Service Announcement.
  [1]Just leave it, Brritski.  It's Christmas.
I wasn't tempted to make any off-colour comment, but did wonder if Good
Standing might be just down the road from Little Snoring and the like.
(Or was that what you meant, and I'm being unjust to Brritski!)
It wasn't and you weren't. :o)
2019-12-24 07:43:06 UTC
Artisan singing While Shepherds Watched to the tune of On Ilkley Moor
(which sounds like ISIHAC but is, apparently, A Thing).
john
While shepherds watched their flocks
by night all seated on
the ground, the angel of
and so on. I'm obviously missing something. (Apart from the obvious.)
Try this:

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-12-24 08:37:32 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Artisan singing While Shepherds Watched to the tune of On Ilkley Moor
(which sounds like ISIHAC but is, apparently, A Thing).
john
While shepherds watched their flocks
by night all seated on
the ground, the angel of
and so on. I'm obviously missing something. (Apart from the obvious.)
http://youtu.be/RI4jZGgOIxE
I'd like to correct myself (oo'er missus). I HAVE heard that one sung,
but the version we usually sing in Calstock is this: