(Slight) spoiler Monday 24th
2020-08-24 18:51:45 UTC
We just _knew_ Alice wasn't going to complete the 'phone call before the
end of the episode, didn't we? If you're reading, Keri or whoever - I am
_not_ amused.

Never rely on somebody else for your happiness.
- Bette Davis, quoted by Celia Imrie, RT 2014/3/12-18
Vicky Ayech
2020-08-24 20:33:25 UTC
On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 19:51:45 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
We just _knew_ Alice wasn't going to complete the 'phone call before the
end of the episode, didn't we? If you're reading, Keri or whoever - I am
_not_ amused.
MTAAW
She better have told him. Not ducked it. And he better apologise to
Ed.

I am actually not impressed because it still sounds like
mononuggeringlogues to me. And I am fed up with Alice's not facing the
facts about her losing her job and being a drunk. I am getting fed up
with the Chris had a beer story too.
Chris McMillan
2020-08-25 08:17:40 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
We just _knew_ Alice wasn't going to complete the 'phone call before the
end of the episode, didn't we? If you're reading, Keri or whoever - I am
_not_ amused.
MTAAW
She better have told him. Not ducked it. And he better apologise to
Ed.
I am actually not impressed because it still sounds like
mononuggeringlogues to me. And I am fed up with Alice's not facing the
facts about her losing her job and being a drunk. I am getting fed up
with the Chris had a beer story too.
On the other hand, Ed’s best friend made his first scene sound properly
natural and overall he wasn’t as muffled as some people’s voices are.

Herr’s hoping the first six weeks contain Alice being caught good and
proper, the Ed story may be the run up. I gather we have Gavin’s best
friend next week, we’ve already had scenes relating to Tim Oates as well,
so two plots there. A Lyndie continuation: a necessity. Hints about a
return to the B & B again.

Plenty of plots running throughout monologue-land.

The studio engineers must be bored stiff having oppobrium heaped on their
heads: not their fault there hadn’t been time to produce six x 12 mins a
week. They wouldn’t have had a dedicated studio I don’t suppose, and I bet
they work across the book reading slots if we did but know it or even all
drama.

2020-08-25 09:10:05 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Would book reading take much engineering? The BBC has lots of podcasts
they could put up of books being read and the continuation of the
stories of the flag ship radio soap during a time of natioanl lockdown
would have surely been a Good Thing.
Chris McMillan
2020-08-26 15:16:19 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Depends on how well the voice knows their book: even the most professional
has “off days”, and many books have a lot for the ‘voice’ to get to grips
with. It’s not lije reading something in one voice.

2020-08-25 09:13:32 UTC
I gather we have Gavin’s best
friend next week
Oh really? I thought he had been booted off to the Street where they
send all the cast offs.
2020-08-25 12:05:22 UTC
  I gather we have Gavin’s best
friend next week
Oh really?  I thought he had been booted off to the Street where they
send all the cast offs.
There was a photo, posted on Twitter by the BBC about a month ago, of
Gavin's close friend ensconced in his coat cupboard, which he'd
converted into a home studio. This suggests that we should be hearing
him again before too long.
If you shut the door to all errors, truth will be shut out.
(Rabindranath Tagore)
Chris McMillan
2020-08-26 15:16:19 UTC
I gather we have Gavin’s best
friend next week
Oh really? I thought he had been booted off to the Street where they
send all the cast offs.
I only know what I’ve bern told by someone else, KRW. Me, I only know what
umrats tell.

2020-08-27 09:08:25 UTC
I gather we have Gavin’s best
friend next week
Oh really? I thought he had been booted off to the Street where they
send all the cast offs.
I only know what I’ve bern told by someone else, KRW. Me, I only know what
umrats tell.
Sincerely Chris
The same friend has been the (re) cast of a long standing resident of
Coronation Street so not only do I have to hear more of him he looks
nothing like the long standing resident did - the resident has allegedly
been on the run and living rough which will no doubt account for the
face transplant he will have suffered. I can only hope that the new
refaced, rebooted returnee has some reedeming features. The former best
friend was a naughty boy and cannot be re-employed.
2020-08-27 16:21:28 UTC
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 10:08:25 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
I can only hope that the new
refaced, rebooted returnee has some reedeming features. The former best
friend was a naughty boy and cannot be re-employed.
My favoured just-after-the-lunchtime-news TV soap, Doctors, always takes a
summer break (a little early this year I think, they usually return for a
few weeks after Wimblenod. Replaced by a series originally designed to be
watched on a weekly basis, which is shown Monday-Friday.

Last summer I think we had the lovely NZ production '800 words', this year
it is the Australian 'The Heights' and, because of the rapid progress, we
are already on Series 2. It was quite disturbing to find, between one day
and the next, one of the major characters had a face-transplant, especially
as the timeline seemed pretty much contiguous. I've got used to him now
though.
Peter Withey
2020-08-28 09:39:44 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
I can only hope that the new
refaced, rebooted returnee has some reedeming features. The former best
friend was a naughty boy and cannot be re-employed.
My favoured just-after-the-lunchtime-news TV soap, Doctors, always takes a
summer break (a little early this year I think, they usually return for a
few weeks after Wimblenod. Replaced by a series originally designed to be
watched on a weekly basis, which is shown Monday-Friday.
Is that just a mis-type or does it express your feelings on the tennis
<g>
Pete
Penny
2020-08-28 20:58:56 UTC
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 10:39:44 +0100, Peter Withey <***@never.here> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Peter Withey
Post by Penny
My favoured just-after-the-lunchtime-news TV soap, Doctors, always takes a
summer break (a little early this year I think, they usually return for a
few weeks after Wimblenod. Replaced by a series originally designed to be
watched on a weekly basis, which is shown Monday-Friday.
Is that just a mis-type or does it express your feelings on the tennis
<g>
Wimblenod, pronounced Wim-blee-nod, is a family name for the tennis
tournament, possibly based upon a typo in a TV guide many years ago. My
family collects such odd pronunciations, like Fol-kess-tonee (that one is
useful for spelling Folkestone correctly), promble and Rad-i-o-timmees.
I blame the husgod.
2020-08-28 21:10:56 UTC
like Fol-kess-tonee
Having been there is there anywhere like it?
2020-08-28 22:21:17 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Peter Withey
Is that just a mis-type or does it express your feelings on the tennis
<g>
Wimblenod, pronounced Wim-blee-nod, is a family name for the tennis
tournament, possibly based upon a typo in a TV guide many years ago. My
family collects such odd pronunciations, like Fol-kess-tonee (that one is
useful for spelling Folkestone correctly), promble and Rad-i-o-timmees.
I blame the husgod.
Snap on F. and Radi-ot-im-es (one of the lesser-known Greek prophets;
can only see seven to ten days into the future). There's also that
Italianate-sounding village in Essex, Inga-tes-to-ne.

(Folkestone is of course spelt Fouksten; see https://bit.ly/3lAVlUr .)

And on the question of authorship, I subscribe to the view that the plays were
not in fact written by Shakespeare but by someone of the same name.
- Hugh Bonneville (RT 2014/10/11-17)
Jenny M Benson
2020-08-28 23:12:28 UTC
Wimblenod, pronounced Wim-blee-nod, is a family name for the tennis
tournament, possibly based upon a typo in a TV guide many years ago. My
family collects such odd pronunciations, like Fol-kess-tonee (that one is
useful for spelling Folkestone correctly), promble and Rad-i-o-timmees.
I blame the husgod.
I blame my son for some of my deliberate mis-pronounces - they are his
baby talk from 40 years ago. Furniture is forever furshense to me, a
window has a silf, not a sill and at Christmas I hang deshinations.
Wrexham, UK
Sally Thompson
2020-08-29 08:07:43 UTC
Wimblenod, pronounced Wim-blee-nod, is a family name for the tennis
tournament, possibly based upon a typo in a TV guide many years ago. My
family collects such odd pronunciations, like Fol-kess-tonee (that one is
useful for spelling Folkestone correctly), promble and Rad-i-o-timmees.
I blame the husgod.
I blame my son for some of my deliberate mis-pronounces - they are his
baby talk from 40 years ago. Furniture is forever furshense to me, a
window has a silf, not a sill and at Christmas I hang deshinations.
Hostipal from my son, and my personal favourite (and most apt), Jungle
Sale.
2020-08-29 08:39:58 UTC
On 29 Aug 2020 08:07:43 GMT, Sally Thompson
I blame my son for some of my deliberate mis-pronounces - they are his
baby talk from 40 years ago. Furniture is forever furshense to me, a
window has a silf, not a sill and at Christmas I hang deshinations.
Hostipal from my son, and my personal favourite (and most apt), Jungle
Sale.
That reminds me of a friends daughter who came home from school and
announced she'd been learning about the nakeds in Africa.

Hostipal is one we use, along with 'Causality' and 'Horribly Shitty' for
the pair of hostipal soaps.
2020-08-25 09:15:01 UTC
The studio engineers must be bored stiff having oppobrium heaped on their
heads: not their fault there hadn’t been time to produce six x 12 mins a
week.
The fault lies entirely with management. If things take 4 times as long
to do you deploy 4 times as many people. Sadly the BBC are not creative
- so the failure is much higher up the chain.
Peter
2020-08-25 09:36:51 UTC
The studio engineers must be bored stiff having oppobrium heaped on their
heads: not their fault there hadn’t been time to produce six x 12 mins a
week.
The fault lies entirely with management.  If things take 4 times as long
to do you deploy 4 times as many people.
That is known not to work! See Brook's law.
BrritSki
2020-08-25 12:04:22 UTC
The studio engineers must be bored stiff having oppobrium heaped on their
heads: not their fault there hadn’t been time to produce six x 12 mins a
week.
The fault lies entirely with management.  If things take 4 times as long
to do you deploy 4 times as many people.  Sadly the BBC are not creative
- so the failure is much higher up the chain.
I don't believe for a minute it would take 4x as long. Longer certainly
if u wanted the same quality, but I would rather have sacrificed the
quality for the old format.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-08-25 12:06:45 UTC
The studio engineers must be bored stiff having oppobrium heaped on their
heads: not their fault there hadn’t been time to produce six x 12 mins a
week.
The fault lies entirely with management.  If things take 4 times as long
to do you deploy 4 times as many people.  Sadly the BBC are not creative
- so the failure is much higher up the chain.
Primarily with whoever sets the budget and who chose not to allow TA
sufficient resources to do anything more expensive than the current regime.
Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart. (Erma Bombeck)