Cook food referral
2020-02-10 13:17:43 UTC
Oops, emailed Kate instead of posting

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 23:15:12 +0000, in uk.media.radio.archers you
Tescos or Sainsburys), and we ended up at a branch of 'Cook' which seems
truly to use ordinary good ingredients without preservatives and gum
thickeners etc. The salt content is low and so is the sugar in the
desserts (though those are a rare treat. The gin-and-tonic semi-freddo
is fabulous) Once, a vegetable lasagne did have much too much salt in it
and I complained, they apologised and said it had been a mistake,
refunded me and included a large number of vouchers, and we've never had
an over-salty dish again. They are also apparently model employers.
Ok I am registering and trying them. Is there any referral thing
anyone wants to do that gets you a free dish or me one?
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-10 13:18:31 UTC
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 13:17:43 +0000, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
Oops, emailed Kate instead of posting
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 23:15:12 +0000, in uk.media.radio.archers you
Tescos or Sainsburys), and we ended up at a branch of 'Cook' which seems
truly to use ordinary good ingredients without preservatives and gum
thickeners etc. The salt content is low and so is the sugar in the
desserts (though those are a rare treat. The gin-and-tonic semi-freddo
is fabulous) Once, a vegetable lasagne did have much too much salt in it
and I complained, they apologised and said it had been a mistake,
refunded me and included a large number of vouchers, and we've never had
an over-salty dish again. They are also apparently model employers.
Ok I am registering and trying them. Is there any referral thing
anyone wants to do that gets you a free dish or me one?
Actually the foods are all frozen and our freezer isnot that big so
would have to make sure I make room. Not this week possibly.
Sally Thompson
2020-02-10 14:31:53 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
That's why I'm glad of my overflow freezer:-). Bought secondhand on Gumtree
for other porpoises. For me, the fact the foods are frozen and cooked from
frozen is a huge benefit. If Tony isn't eating for some reason at the last
minute, I can get something out of the freezer for myself. Although we
don't have a store near us (hence I mostly shop online), there are some
shops which have a franchise; there's one about 10 miles away (helpfully en
route to the spinal hospital) and I can stock up a smaller amount there. It
might be worth asking if there's anything similar in your area.
2020-02-10 14:35:33 UTC
Oops, emailed Kate instead of posting
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 23:15:12 +0000, in uk.media.radio.archers you
Tescos or Sainsburys), and we ended up at a branch of 'Cook' which seems
truly to use ordinary good ingredients without preservatives and gum
thickeners etc. The salt content is low and so is the sugar in the
desserts (though those are a rare treat. The gin-and-tonic semi-freddo
is fabulous) Once, a vegetable lasagne did have much too much salt in it
and I complained, they apologised and said it had been a mistake,
refunded me and included a large number of vouchers, and we've never had
an over-salty dish again. They are also apparently model employers.
Ok I am registering and trying them. Is there any referral thing
anyone wants to do that gets you a free dish or me one?
I've had a look and there's an "introduce a friend" option. I get a £10
voucher and you get £10 off your first order. Are you happy for me to give
them your email address? I assume the one posted here is genuine, but if
you want me to use another one just email me, removing the obvious.
Thank you, Sally, Kate beat you to it. Just.
Sally Thompson
2020-02-10 21:14:56 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
I've had a look and there's an "introduce a friend" option. I get a £10
voucher and you get £10 off your first order. Are you happy for me to give
them your email address? I assume the one posted here is genuine, but if
you want me to use another one just email me, removing the obvious.
Thank you, Sally, Kate beat you to it. Just.
Fine!
Sadly because I filled my basket there before Kate asked them for the
code they said I am already a customer! I have tweeted and voicemailed
to say I became a customer because of referrals, one being Kate. Am
waiting to see if voucher codes will arrive tomorrow. They go home at
5.30.
Anne B
2020-02-10 21:25:38 UTC
[...]
<sigh> Their nearest supplier to me is 160 miles away by the shortest
road, and 180 miles by the quickest road. </sigh>

Anne B
Anne B
SODAM
2020-02-11 10:55:43 UTC
Post by Anne B
!
<sigh> Their nearest supplier to me is 160 miles away by the shortest
road, and 180 miles by the quickest road. </sigh>
I can endorse what others have said about food from Cook. When I was
working full time, I enjoyed entertaining friends to dinner but hadn’t much
time to cook. I’d make a pudding a day ahead and a starter but the main
course would be from Cook. When I lived in Maidenhead, there was a freezer
shop that sold nothing but their meals. Missed it terribly in rural
Northumberland but now that I’m back in the city, I have found a
supermarket with a Cook franchise.

I also agree about Iceland luxury range of ready meals. They are
inexpensive and very good, much better than “Taste the Difference” ranges
etc. Haven’t yet located a branch near me but am working on it.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-11 11:21:13 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Anne B
!
<sigh> Their nearest supplier to me is 160 miles away by the shortest
road, and 180 miles by the quickest road. </sigh>
I can endorse what others have said about food from Cook. When I was
working full time, I enjoyed entertaining friends to dinner but hadn’t much
time to cook. I’d make a pudding a day ahead and a starter but the main
course would be from Cook. When I lived in Maidenhead, there was a freezer
shop that sold nothing but their meals. Missed it terribly in rural
Northumberland but now that I’m back in the city, I have found a
supermarket with a Cook franchise.
I also agree about Iceland luxury range of ready meals. They are
inexpensive and very good, much better than “Taste the Difference” ranges
etc. Haven’t yet located a branch near me but am working on it.
And I just got a tweet from them.
Hello again Vicky, I have now looked into this a little further and I
think that the problem seems to be that you signed yourself up shortly
before your friend made her referral. Our system recognised you as a
current customer and wouldn't issue a voucher to you or your friend.
However, we understand how this came about and are happy to issue you
a £10 voucher. When you reach the checkout you will need to enter the
codes below in the voucher section - WELCOME0220 and D3F3-31K-BKB-98D
I will also be creating a £10 voucher code for your friend and will
email it to her at
Which is Kate.

Ok!
Kate B
2020-02-11 17:08:13 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Anne B
!
[...]
Ooh, that's nice of them! Thanks for chasing it up, Vicky.
2020-02-11 17:21:26 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Anne B
!
[...]
That doesn't surprise me. In my experience, their customer support is
consitently excellent.
I stayed up all night to see where the sun went, and then it dawned on me.
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-11 11:25:51 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Anne B
!
<sigh> Their nearest supplier to me is 160 miles away by the shortest
road, and 180 miles by the quickest road. </sigh>
I can endorse what others have said about food from Cook. When I was
working full time, I enjoyed entertaining friends to dinner but hadn’t much
time to cook. I’d make a pudding a day ahead and a starter but the main
course would be from Cook. When I lived in Maidenhead, there was a freezer
shop that sold nothing but their meals. Missed it terribly in rural
Northumberland but now that I’m back in the city, I have found a
supermarket with a Cook franchise.
I also agree about Iceland luxury range of ready meals. They are
inexpensive and very good, much better than “Taste the Difference” ranges
etc. Haven’t yet located a branch near me but am working on it.
After I checked out the information popped up that they have the meals
at the farm shop not far away. I could have just tried a couple
instead of 8 but can maybe get them there. I suppose not the full
range.
Jenny M Benson
2020-02-11 11:40:36 UTC
Post by SODAM
I can endorse what others have said about food from Cook. When I was
working full time, I enjoyed entertaining friends to dinner but hadn’t much
time to cook. I’d make a pudding a day ahead and a starter but the main
course would be from Cook. When I lived in Maidenhead, there was a freezer
shop that sold nothing but their meals. Missed it terribly in rural
Northumberland but now that I’m back in the city, I have found a
supermarket with a Cook franchise.
I also agree about Iceland luxury range of ready meals. They are
inexpensive and very good, much better than “Taste the Difference” ranges
etc. Haven’t yet located a branch near me but am working on it.
I occasionally get an order in from Wiltshire Farm Foods and have used
Oakhouse once or twice. Not a lot between them and they're not bad.
But the one to avoid at all costs is Parsley Box. Their meals are not
frozen but can be kept in the cupboard for a while. However, the food -
and in particular the mashed potato - is *disgusting*. And the portions
are very small too.

And this is coming from someone who will happily eat most frozen ready
meals and who doesn't want big portions!
Wrexham, UK
Serena Blanchflower
2020-02-11 17:13:28 UTC
I occasionally get an order in from Wiltshire Farm Foods and have used
Oakhouse once or twice.  Not a lot between them and they're not bad.
I regularly get Oakhouse meals and definitely prefer them to the
Wiltshire Farm ones. One advantage of them is that they have a much
better range of small, and fairly low calorie, meals. Although
Wiltshire Farm Foods do do mini meals, they're clearly aimed at people
who need feeding up, despite only having small appetites, and most of
them are very high calorie. It's one of the more boring facts of life
that, if you're both small and inactive, you don't need large meals (at
least, not if you would rather stay small...).
Post by Jenny M Benson
But
the one to avoid at all costs is Parsley Box.  Their meals are not
frozen but can be kept in the cupboard for a while.  However, the food -
and in particular the mashed potato - is *disgusting*.  And the portions
are very small too.
Thanks. I'd been wondering whether to try those. I think I'll give
them a pass.
Post by Jenny M Benson
And this is coming from someone who will happily eat most frozen ready
meals and who doesn't want big portions!
Like me :)
Our entire life - consists ultimately in accepting ourselves as we are
(Jean Anouilh)
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-11 17:37:59 UTC
Are they two more that are not Farm meals?
Serena Blanchflower
2020-02-12 09:23:41 UTC
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 17:13:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I regularly get Oakhouse meals and definitely prefer them to the
Wiltshire Farm ones.
Are they two more that are not Farm meals?
Eh? I don't know if I'm being slow this morning but I haven't a clue
what you're asking :(
My doctor told me to keep in shape. Well, this is my shape and I'm
keeping it (anon)
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-12 10:43:16 UTC
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 09:23:41 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 17:13:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I regularly get Oakhouse meals and definitely prefer them to the
Wiltshire Farm ones.
Are they two more that are not Farm meals?
Eh? I don't know if I'm being slow this morning but I haven't a clue
what you're asking :(
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-02-12 11:35:05 UTC
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 09:23:41 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 17:13:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I regularly get Oakhouse meals and definitely prefer them to the
Wiltshire Farm ones.
Are they two more that are not Farm meals?
Eh? I don't know if I'm being slow this morning but I haven't a clue
what you're asking :(
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.

<https://www.wiltshirefarmfoods.com/> and
<https://www.oakhousefoods.co.uk/>

I'm not a fan of Wiltshire Farm Foods but I know a lot of people do like
their meals. I much prefer the Oakhouse meals though. Both of them are
aimed at the old and infirm and only sell individual meals, unlike Cook,
who are largely aimed at the healthy but time poor cooks, frequently
catering for families or dinner parties.

Neither Wiltshire nor Oakhouse have minimum orders and are quite happy
to just deliver a few days', or a week's worth of meals to you each
week. They both use their own delivery drivers (I think they're both
run through local franchises) and will deliver to you on a set day (or
maybe, in a city, more than one day) each week. I think they'd also
load your meals into the freezer for you, if you needed.
Be yourself, everyone else is taken (Oscar Wilde)
Jenny M Benson
2020-02-12 13:11:26 UTC
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.
There's also a chain (?) called Farm Foods which sells, I think, all or
mostly frozen stuff. Only been in one once or twice and not recently.
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
The Farm deliveries are only frozen.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-02-12 13:46:01 UTC
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 13:11:26 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.
There's also a chain (?) called Farm Foods which sells, I think, all or
mostly frozen stuff. Only been in one once or twice and not recently.
The Farm deliveries are only frozen.
Are they good? I'm always interested in additional sources of good
frozen meals, to add to the variety of my diet :)
Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible (Dalai Lama)
Serena Blanchflower
2020-02-12 14:23:37 UTC
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 13:11:26 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.
There's also a chain (?) called Farm Foods which sells, I think, all or
mostly frozen stuff.  Only been in one once or twice and not recently.
The Farm deliveries are only frozen.
Are they good?  I'm always interested in additional sources of good
frozen meals, to add to the variety of my diet :)
Ah, forget that. Having looked at their website, it looks as if they
only sell through shops, not online.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no
point in being a damn fool about it (W. C. Fields)
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-12 17:34:40 UTC
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 13:46:01 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 13:11:26 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.
There's also a chain (?) called Farm Foods which sells, I think, all or
mostly frozen stuff. Only been in one once or twice and not recently.
The Farm deliveries are only frozen.
Are they good? I'm always interested in additional sources of good
frozen meals, to add to the variety of my diet :)
That was
social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly noT to Farm foods.
I will report back on Chicken Pad Thai later :). I have 8 meals.
steve hague
2020-02-12 16:29:44 UTC
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.
There's also a chain (?) called Farm Foods which sells, I think, all or
mostly frozen stuff.  Only been in one once or twice and not recently.
A branch recently opened near us. Very impressed with what we've bought
from them so far, both in terms of quality and price, apart from their
Cumberland sausages, which seem to be mostly made from left over carpet
trimmings.
2020-02-12 16:59:01 UTC
Post by steve hague
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.
There's also a chain (?) called Farm Foods which sells, I think, all or
mostly frozen stuff.  Only been in one once or twice and not recently.
A branch recently opened near us. Very impressed with what we've bought
from them so far, both in terms of quality and price, apart from their
Cumberland sausages, which seem to be mostly made from left over carpet
trimmings.
Steve
Axminster or Wilton?
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-14 16:04:44 UTC
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.
There's also a chain (?) called Farm Foods which sells, I think, all
or mostly frozen stuff. Only been in one once or twice and not
recently.
Farm Foods is all over Scotland. Serial offenders at having waste paper
stuffed through my letter box. A kind of downmarket Iceland.

Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good and at gbp 2.67 a
go a lot cheaper than the offerings of other outlets including Waitrose.

2020-02-14 18:24:05 UTC
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 16:04:44 +0000, Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Are there 3 firms. Farm, Oakhouse and Witshire?
The meals arrived today so I will have Pad Thai tonight.
B says the social media response was very favourable but other sites
apparently mostly now to Farm foods.
Ah, two firms, Wiltshire Farm Foods and Oakhouse Foods.
There's also a chain (?) called Farm Foods which sells, I think, all
or mostly frozen stuff. Only been in one once or twice and not
recently.
Farm Foods is all over Scotland. Serial offenders at having waste paper
stuffed through my letter box. A kind of downmarket Iceland.
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good and at gbp 2.67 a
go a lot cheaper than the offerings of other outlets including Waitrose.
Well, I've tried the Pad Thai and the Nasi Goreng and both were ok and
a nice change from the usual ready foods menus offered by most
supermarkets, but twice as expensive. The chicken in them and really
all others is bread and dry. I wish they'd use thigh. I'll see how
the other meals are. Having to take at least 8 to meet the delivery
requirement and therefore taking up more freezer space than is
convenient without a reshuffle is an issue. I will see what the local
farm has in chilled not frozen when I have time to visit.
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-14 18:39:03 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
I have no idea what i was saying there! It is dry in most ready meals.
Actually the WW chicken hotpot is one of the best! And the sweet and
sour was ok too.
Chris J Dixon
2020-02-15 09:44:28 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good and at gbp 2.67 a
go a lot cheaper than the offerings of other outlets including Waitrose.
Having not been in one of their stores for about 40 years (when
we first bought a freezer) the recent documentaries on C5 have
prompted me to have a look when I'm next passing.

I guess I may well have been put off by the nature of much of
their advertising, which hasn't generally placed them upmarket.
;-)

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-02-15 11:37:35 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good and at gbp 2.67 a
go a lot cheaper than the offerings of other outlets including Waitrose.
Having not been in one of their stores for about 40 years (when
we first bought a freezer) the recent documentaries on C5 have
prompted me to have a look when I'm next passing.
I guess I may well have been put off by the nature of much of
their advertising, which hasn't generally placed them upmarket.
;-)
Chris
It regarded itself as ‘budget’. :) I suspect it’s ‘budget’ isn’t the same
as ‘discount’ budget!

Sincerely Chris
Rosemary Miskin
2020-02-15 11:45:41 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good a
Their Swedish meatballs are scrummy - we have th e most weeks, either
in toad-in- the-hole or with pasta, in a tomato&pepper sauce.

Rosemary
SODAM
2020-02-15 15:27:17 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good a
Their Swedish meatballs are scrummy - we have th e most weeks, either
in toad-in- the-hole or with pasta, in a tomato&pepper sauce.
The fave at SODAM Towers is their moussaka. Iceland still put aubergine in
their “luxury” range, while, last time I tried Taste the Difference,
Sainsbury’s had substituted potato slices for aubergine. Sainsbury’s meal
not as tasty and nearly twice the price.
Vicky Ayech
2020-02-15 17:36:46 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good a
Their Swedish meatballs are scrummy - we have th e most weeks, either
in toad-in- the-hole or with pasta, in a tomato&pepper sauce.
The fave at SODAM Towers is their moussaka. Iceland still put aubergine in
their “luxury” range, while, last time I tried Taste the Difference,
Sainsbury’s had substituted potato slices for aubergine. Sainsbury’s meal
not as tasty and nearly twice the price.
Ready meals do vary and in each supermarket they vary too. As do
peoples' tastes. B likes the Italian meals usually and while Tesco's
are acceptable he likes the Morrison's sausage bake and meat feast
best.

I've been researching chocolate digestives on behalf of Umra.
Nuggering WW stopped doing theirs, which were 1 point each. Most are 3
points. Own brand ones cost about 40p and McVitties usually 3 or four
times as much, so I got Morrisons own brand last time.

B always makes a fuss unless it is the known brand but we agreed those
were probably made by McVitties as they tasted the same. I then got a
packet from Tescos and one from Sainsburys. The Tescos ones are awful.
They don't taste like proper digestives and the chocolate is not like
chocolate. I thought the Sainsburys ones were also awful but B said he
thought those not bad.
steveski
2020-02-16 00:28:03 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
FWIW my 'own brand' choccie dig. favourite is Waitrose. I rate them
higher than McVities which are second on the list. Nearly all of the
other 'own brand' bikkies are rubbish IMHO.
2020-02-16 11:32:41 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Not so keen on choc dig as they are often too sweet, and am currently
hooked on those richtea-type butter biscuits with a little slab of dark
chocolate on top. Bahlsen call them Leibnitz biscuits - both Tesco and
Lidl do a version which is just as good.
Oh yes, like those.
Sam Plusnet
2020-02-17 00:24:04 UTC
Post by Kate B
Not so keen on choc dig as they are often too sweet,
How about the plain chocolate variant?
2020-02-17 00:26:41 UTC
Post by Kate B
Not so keen on choc dig as they are often too sweet,
How about the plain chocolate variant?
Although I didn't say it, those (Waitrose dark choccie dig.) were the
ones I was thinking of.
2020-02-17 15:30:51 UTC
Post by Kate B
Not so keen on choc dig as they are often too sweet,
How about the plain chocolate variant?
It's the digestive bit which is too sweet. Plain digestives are also a
bit sweet but that can be quite nice with eg a bit of stilton.
steve hague
2020-02-19 15:49:33 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Kate B
Not so keen on choc dig as they are often too sweet,
How about the plain chocolate variant?
It's the digestive bit which is too sweet. Plain digestives are also a
bit sweet but that can be quite nice with eg a bit of stilton.
Buttered with extra mature cheddar is good too.
Steve
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-18 16:30:54 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Aldi too. They are rather lovely.

Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-18 16:29:53 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
I'm afraid for me, now that I'm spoilt, is Border Chocolate
Gingers. Although when I go down to the Great Wen, as I do three times a
year, to do my Quaker business we are supplied with generous quantities
of Island Bakery biscuits from Tobermory to help us mull over the
business. The Lemon Melts are to die for.

2020-02-18 19:30:19 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I'm afraid for me, now that I'm spoilt, is Border Chocolate
Gingers. Although when I go down to the Great Wen, as I do three times a
year, to do my Quaker business we are supplied with generous quantities
of Island Bakery biscuits from Tobermory to help us mull over the
business.
Are they made with Rum and Egg?

john
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-18 22:12:05 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I'm afraid for me, now that I'm spoilt, is Border Chocolate
Gingers. Although when I go down to the Great Wen, as I do three times a
year, to do my Quaker business we are supplied with generous quantities
of Island Bakery biscuits from Tobermory to help us mull over the
business.
Are they made with Rum and Egg?
I'm afraid I canna be sure.

2020-02-19 08:42:00 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I'm afraid for me, now that I'm spoilt, is Border Chocolate
Gingers. Although when I go down to the Great Wen, as I do three times a
year, to do my Quaker business we are supplied with generous quantities
of Island Bakery biscuits from Tobermory to help us mull over the
business.
Are they made with Rum and Egg?
I'm afraid I canna be sure.
So I open Newstap .... and look what I-land on!
2020-02-19 09:00:53 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I'm afraid for me, now that I'm spoilt, is Border Chocolate
Gingers. Although when I go down to the Great Wen, as I do three times a
year, to do my Quaker business we are supplied with generous quantities
of Island Bakery biscuits from Tobermory to help us mull over the
business.
Are they made with Rum and Egg?
I'm afraid I canna be sure.
So I open Newstap .... and look what I-land on!
You may have meant "look what Islaynd on," but the jura is still out on
that.

john
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-19 09:50:20 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I'm afraid for me, now that I'm spoilt, is Border Chocolate
Gingers. Although when I go down to the Great Wen, as I do three times a
year, to do my Quaker business we are supplied with generous quantities
of Island Bakery biscuits from Tobermory to help us mull over the
business.
Are they made with Rum and Egg?
I'm afraid I canna be sure.
So I open Newstap .... and look what I-land on!
You may have meant "look what Islaynd on," but the jura is still out
on that.
I had a feeling I'd open the door to a barra load of puns.

Anne B

Anne B
Mike
2020-02-19 11:53:50 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I'm afraid for me, now that I'm spoilt, is Border Chocolate
Gingers. Although when I go down to the Great Wen, as I do three times a
year, to do my Quaker business we are supplied with generous quantities
of Island Bakery biscuits from Tobermory to help us mull over the
business.
Are they made with Rum and Egg?
I'm afraid I canna be sure.
So I open Newstap .... and look what I-land on!
You may have meant "look what Islaynd on," but the jura is still out on
that.
john
I think Uist right there.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Hoy! Yell!
Kate B
2020-02-19 17:36:56 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I'm afraid for me, now that I'm spoilt, is Border Chocolate
Gingers. Although when I go down to the Great Wen, as I do three times a
year, to do my Quaker business we are supplied with generous quantities
of Island Bakery biscuits from Tobermory to help us mull over the
business.
Are they made with Rum and Egg?
I'm afraid I canna be sure.
So I open Newstap .... and look what I-land on!
You may have meant "look what Islaynd on," but the jura is still out on
that.
john
I think Uist right there.
Hoy! Yell!
You called?
(my very first umratic contributions came from ***@yell.almac.co.uk)
steve hague
2020-02-19 15:46:30 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Aldi chocolate digestives are proper acceptable, both the dark and milk
varieties.
2020-02-19 21:33:47 UTC
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 15:46:30 +0000, steve hague
Post by steve hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
I will be unable to do any more research now for another 29 days.
I have signed up to do Dechox.
https://www.bhf.org.uk/dechox?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1sPOl8be5wIVy7HtCh0RWABGEAAYASAAEgI7MfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/vicky-ayech2?fbclid=IwAR3q7uuVHeaXEoq4nquEOHfGv3NzV20oyQNmBTdFXs-0kOIh8Wc4f9XZK3c

I got enthusiastic and began yesterday but will still do 31 days, the
equivalent to the month of March. But I can end on 20/3/20.
It is surprising ho wmany things have chocolate in them.
Chris McMillan

Sincerely Chris
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-18 16:25:23 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good a
Their Swedish meatballs are scrummy - we have th e most weeks, either
in toad-in- the-hole or with pasta, in a tomato&pepper sauce.
The fave at SODAM Towers is their moussaka. Iceland still put aubergine in
their “luxury” range, while, last time I tried Taste the Difference,
Sainsbury’s had substituted potato slices for aubergine. Sainsbury’s meal
not as tasty and nearly twice the price.
<ra> Ooooah NOOOOOOOah! </ra> That is sacrilege! It's not moussaka
without aubergine! Why???

That's got me trying to remember the name of the basse-cuisine Cambridge
café that served hearty platesful of moussaka, spaghetti and chips
around 1981 (gosh, it's nearly 40 years since I lived there). Presumably
aimed at rugger/rowing types.

2020-02-18 16:45:43 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good a
Their Swedish meatballs are scrummy - we have th e most weeks, either
in toad-in- the-hole or with pasta, in a tomato&pepper sauce.
The fave at SODAM Towers is their moussaka. Iceland still put aubergine in
their “luxury” range, while, last time I tried Taste the Difference,
Sainsbury’s had substituted potato slices for aubergine. Sainsbury’s meal
not as tasty and nearly twice the price.
<ra> Ooooah NOOOOOOOah! </ra> That is sacrilege! It's not moussaka
without aubergine! Why???
Patrick Leigh Fermor's Greek housekeeper's recipe for Moussaka has
potatoes, aubergines and courgettes in it as well as the normal meat
sauce and bechamel and it's delicious.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-18 17:00:27 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good a
Their Swedish meatballs are scrummy - we have th e most weeks, either
in toad-in- the-hole or with pasta, in a tomato&pepper sauce.
The fave at SODAM Towers is their moussaka. Iceland still put aubergine in
their “luxury” range, while, last time I tried Taste the Difference,
Sainsbury’s had substituted potato slices for aubergine. Sainsbury’s meal
not as tasty and nearly twice the price.
<ra> Ooooah NOOOOOOOah! </ra> That is sacrilege! It's not moussaka
without aubergine! Why???
Patrick Leigh Fermor's Greek housekeeper's recipe for Moussaka has
potatoes, aubergines and courgettes in it as well as the normal meat
sauce and bechamel and it's delicious.
Potatoes as well as is fine. Potatoes instead of is sacrilege.

<LW>
John Ashby
2020-02-18 19:35:10 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by SODAM
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good a
Their Swedish meatballs are scrummy - we have th e most weeks, either
in toad-in- the-hole or with pasta, in a tomato&pepper sauce.
The fave at SODAM Towers is their moussaka. Iceland still put aubergine in
their “luxury” range, while, last time I tried Taste the Difference,
Sainsbury’s had substituted potato slices for aubergine. Sainsbury’s meal
not as tasty and nearly twice the price.
<ra> Ooooah NOOOOOOOah! </ra> That is sacrilege! It's not moussaka
without aubergine! Why???
That's got me trying to remember the name of the basse-cuisine Cambridge
café that served hearty platesful of moussaka, spaghetti and chips
around 1981 (gosh, it's nearly 40 years since I lived there). Presumably
aimed at rugger/rowing types.
I can't remember the name but I suspect it was on the corner of Regent
Street and Lensfield Road just across from the Catholic Church. Now the
Oak Bistro according to Google Maps.

2020-02-19 10:43:40 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
That's got me trying to remember the name of the basse-cuisine Cambridge
café that served hearty platesful of moussaka, spaghetti and chips
around 1981 (gosh, it's nearly 40 years since I lived there). Presumably
aimed at rugger/rowing types.
I can't remember the name but I suspect it was on the corner of Regent
Street and Lensfield Road just across from the Catholic Church. Now the
Oak Bistro according to Google Maps.
I don't remember the restaurant there, but I do remember Lan Hong House,
from which a significant total tonnage of take-away Chinese food was
purchased over the years on the way back from The Panton Arms.

And the unimaginably romantic setting of the Chemistry Department car
park on Lensfield Road was where wofe and I finally and irrevocably got
together, en route from The Panton to Lan Hong House, the 44th
anniversary of which was a couple of weeks ago.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-02-19 12:40:51 UTC
I don't remember anywhere that end of town except the Scott Polar Bear Research Institute.
John Ashby
2020-02-19 15:00:02 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I don't remember the restaurant there, but I do remember Lan Hong House,
from which a significant total tonnage of take-away Chinese food was
purchased over the years on the way back from The Panton Arms.
I don't remember anywhere that end of town except the Scott Polar Bear Research Institute.
If you can remember that end of town, you didn't visit it.

2020-02-19 19:44:10 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
I don't remember the restaurant there, but I do remember Lan Hong House,
from which a significant total tonnage of take-away Chinese food was
purchased over the years on the way back from The Panton Arms.
I don't remember anywhere that end of town except the Scott Polar Bear
Research Institute.
If you can remember that end of town, you didn't visit it.
:o)

Lan Hong House is still there! This picture matches the Streetview
image from October 2018[1] was taken and still looks awfully like the
place I remember.
https://citikey.uk/display/lan-hong-house-D401K

The Panton Arms, however, is now a bit of a gastropub and unrecognisable
as the slightly squalid dive with an ancient bar billiards table and
often somewhat sticky floor which served an outstandingly good pint of
Abbott in the 70s. (And I should know - I did a lot of in-depth and
prolonged product testing.)

Er...you didn't want to know all that, did you?
2020-02-19 21:35:19 UTC
Lan Hong House is still there!  This picture matches the Streetview
image from October 2018[1] was taken and still looks awfully like the
place I remember.
https://citikey.uk/display/lan-hong-house-D401K
In the "Similar businesses nearby" section below, three of the four
businesses listed are branches of "Subway".
2020-02-19 23:26:40 UTC
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 19:44:10 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
The Panton Arms, however, is now a bit of a gastropub and unrecognisable
as the slightly squalid dive with an ancient bar billiards table and
often somewhat sticky floor which served an outstandingly good pint of
Abbott in the 70s. (And I should know - I did a lot of in-depth and
prolonged product testing.)
I never visited the Panton Arms; when in Cambridge as a family my father
usually fed us in the Baron of Beef.

I did, however, do my share of Abbot Ale testing, often near the bar
billiards table, in a little village pub some miles to the south of there
in the very early '70s. I liked the way you could lie in bed and watch the
room revolve around you and that feeling of walking a foot or so off the
ground which often persisted into the following day.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Er...you didn't want to know all that, did you?
Nostalgia - well worth the wait ;)
2020-02-20 02:08:19 UTC
On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 23:26:40 +0000, Penny wrote:

Nostalgia - well worth the wait ;)
Mind you, it's not what it was.
2020-02-20 14:42:10 UTC
Nostalgia - well worth the wait ;)
Mind you, it's not what it was.
Nostalgia; it’s the future for the past.
2020-02-20 21:26:46 UTC
Nostalgia - well worth the wait ;)
Mind you, it's not what it was.
Nostalgia; it’s the future for the past.
A form of recycling that's been popular since Noah was a lad.
2020-02-21 08:20:57 UTC
Nostalgia - well worth the wait ;)
Mind you, it's not what it was.
Nostalgia; it’s the future for the past.
A form of recycling that's been popular since Noah was a lad.
Ah yes, there’s never been another ark like it!
2020-02-19 16:05:27 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Oh, Canaigh have Eigg fried rice and Soay sauce with Cola? Isay, are you
Gunna have an ice cream Sodhaigh with that? I’d Eriska Lunga fish but I’m
not sure, I think I heard Colonsay the fish is off today.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-19 20:00:10 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
That's got me trying to remember the name of the basse-cuisine Cambridge
café that served hearty platesful of moussaka, spaghetti and chips
around 1981 (gosh, it's nearly 40 years since I lived there). Presumably
aimed at rugger/rowing types.
I can't remember the name but I suspect it was on the corner of
Regent Street and Lensfield Road just across from the Catholic
Church. Now the Oak Bistro according to Google Maps.
I don't remember the restaurant there, but I do remember Lan Hong
House, from which a significant total tonnage of take-away Chinese
food was purchased over the years on the way back from The Panton
Arms.
Never encountered the Lan Hong House. As a 'mere' redbrickie it sounds a
lot like Tseung's of Aigburth Road, Liverpool, which served hefty
portions of tasty-but-best-not-ask goodies for, well I can't remember
but 90p was really splashing out. Tseung's claimed to have the world's
longest menu with 800+ items but of course, eg chicken and mushroom alone,
with fried rice, with boiled rice, with chips all counted as separate
items and each was offered with or without black bean sauce.

I supped many a pint of Greene King IPA in the Panton during my two
years living in that city.
Post by Sid Nuncius
And the unimaginably romantic setting of the Chemistry Department car
park on Lensfield Road was where wofe and I finally and irrevocably
got together, en route from The Panton to Lan Hong House, the 44th
anniversary of which was a couple of weeks ago.
That wasn't you and wofe, was it, getting together with abandon on that autumn
night, late enough for the lamp in the middle to be out, when I took a
short cut diagonally across Parker's Piece? No, I guess you were earlier
than that.

2020-02-20 18:36:14 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I supped many a pint of Greene King IPA in the Panton during my two
years living in that city.
They did serve a good pint, didn't they? It was well worth the
significant extra walk.
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Sid Nuncius
And the unimaginably romantic setting of the Chemistry Department car
park on Lensfield Road was where wofe and I finally and irrevocably
got together, en route from The Panton to Lan Hong House, the 44th
anniversary of which was a couple of weeks ago.
That wasn't you and wofe, was it, getting together with abandon on that autumn
night, late enough for the lamp in the middle to be out, when I took a
short cut diagonally across Parker's Piece? No, I guess you were earlier
than that.
Good heavens, no! I didn't get where I am today by getting together
with abandon on Parker's Piece.[1]

[1]There was a good deal of getting together with abandon in more
private locations, mind you. ;o)
2020-02-20 19:25:25 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I supped many a pint of Greene King IPA in the Panton during my two
years living in that city.
They did serve a good pint, didn't they?  It was well worth the
significant extra walk.
WHen I was still a young thing, too young to drink alcoholic beverages
legally, my sisters had a flat about 50 yards (we still had yards in
those days) down Panton Street. Many a pint of Abbot was quaffed.

Later there was The Rock when one sister moved to Blinco Grove, there
was always The Granta and occasionally the Fort St George. Years later
when future wife #2 was living in Tenison Road the Salisbury Arms was
just a step away.

2020-02-20 20:23:50 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I supped many a pint of Greene King IPA in the Panton during my two
years living in that city.
They did serve a good pint, didn't they?  It was well worth the
significant extra walk.
WHen I was still a young thing, too young to drink alcoholic beverages
legally, my sisters had a flat about 50 yards (we still had yards in
those days) down Panton Street. Many a pint of Abbot was quaffed.
Am I alone on UMRA in not liking Greene King, then or now? Tolly in the
Bucket & Spade was my usual, when not manning one of the college bars.
2020-02-21 07:09:13 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I supped many a pint of Greene King IPA in the Panton during my two
years living in that city.
They did serve a good pint, didn't they?  It was well worth the
significant extra walk.
WHen I was still a young thing, too young to drink alcoholic beverages
legally, my sisters had a flat about 50 yards (we still had yards in
those days) down Panton Street. Many a pint of Abbot was quaffed.
Am I alone on UMRA in not liking Greene King, then or now? Tolly in the
Bucket & Spade was my usual, when not manning one of the college bars.
Tolly Cobbold is like making love in a punt...

Perhaps it was my West Suffolk heritage that gave my allegiance to Bury
St Edmunds rather than Ipswich, though Adnams of Southwold did later
sway me slightly.

2020-02-21 09:29:47 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I supped many a pint of Greene King IPA in the Panton during my two
years living in that city.
They did serve a good pint, didn't they?  It was well worth the
significant extra walk.
WHen I was still a young thing, too young to drink alcoholic beverages
legally, my sisters had a flat about 50 yards (we still had yards in
those days) down Panton Street. Many a pint of Abbot was quaffed.
Am I alone on UMRA in not liking Greene King, then or now? Tolly in the
Bucket & Spade was my usual, when not manning one of the college bars.
Tolly Cobbold is like making love in a punt...
Perhaps it was my West Suffolk heritage that gave my allegiance to Bury
St Edmunds rather than Ipswich, though Adnams of Southwold did later
sway me slightly.
john
I had a couple of holidays in Southwold as a friend had a house there.
Nice book shops and the Adnams was ok. They had morris dancing one
year. I think there was more than one group. The sea was freezing but
we swam anyway and then sat behind wind breaks, wrapped up in layers
of clothes. Balmy beach.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-21 15:12:13 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
[...]
Adnam's beers are lovely but never quite as good as when imbibed within
sight of the lighthouse in Southwold.

Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-02-21 12:30:52 UTC
In those days I was more of a cider man than a beer drinker.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-02-21 12:55:00 UTC
There is a cloudy cider called Rosie's Pig available here though I drink wine or beer more often.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-21 15:10:39 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by John Ashby
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I supped many a pint of Greene King IPA in the Panton during my two
years living in that city.
They did serve a good pint, didn't they?  It was well worth the
significant extra walk.
WHen I was still a young thing, too young to drink alcoholic beverages
legally, my sisters had a flat about 50 yards (we still had yards in
those days) down Panton Street. Many a pint of Abbot was quaffed.
Am I alone on UMRA in not liking Greene King, then or now? Tolly in the
Bucket & Spade was my usual, when not manning one of the college bars.
There are many reasons for not much caring for Greene King these
days. Only one of them is the transition of Abbot Ale from the fearsome
substance once dispensed from a wooden pin on the bar of the Plume of
Feathers, Tewin: slightly cloudy and with bits of hop in it, tasting
like nectar and explosive in its effects at both ends. By the 1980s it
had gone the way of other once legendary beers made in small quantities
and available only in a small catchement area that was worth the visit:
Ruddle's County, Theakston's Old Peculier and so on, bought out as a
'brand' by a megacorporation for mass production and exploitation of the
name. Only in Greene King's case it was self-inflicted.

And that's the other thing. The insensitive way it turned itself from a
modest Suffolk brewery to a giant 'hospitality' corporation, swallowing
first the local opposition (Rayment's of Pelham, another excellent tiny
local operation), spreading its tentacles wider (Morland's of Abingdon,
whose Old Speckled Hen went the same way as Abbot) until it even got its
grubby paws in Scotland (Belhaven of Dunbar, same story). It goes
without saying of course that Greene King owns the brands of Tolly
Cobbold of Ipswich. And then there's the chutzpah of promoting "Suffolk"
sausages in its Cumberland estate (Jennings of Cockermouth). And then
there's the wholesale closure of small non-food pubs that didn't come up
to its corporate brand image. Thus went The Wheatsheaf of St Neots,
perennial local cribbage, dominoes and (after Deceased Twin told the guv'nor to
enter the league and he'd provide the team and win it) pub quiz
champions. The Wheatsheaf was always under threat and the guv'nor was
aware that the pub wouldn't survive the end of his tenancy. In its first
season under Deceased Twin's captaincy it won the local league by a
country mile dropping only a single point for a tie with nearest rivals
The Miller's Arms of Eaton Scrotum, and going on to be crowned Champions of All
East Anglia at the Angel Hotel, Bury St Edmunds. Deceased Twin collected
the trophy from Greene King's estates manager and in doing sdo grabbed
the microphone, which he wasn't supposed to do, and after thanking the
team and the guv'nor and partner went into a rant about selling off cosy
and friendly little pubs like The Wheatsheaf, to the suit's
consternation and the delight of the audience. Deceased Twin had already
buggered off to London by then and stood fown from the team, but the
team went on winning the local league and sometimes the regional league
for several years until they were shut down. Wrong image.

Anyway. In Liverpool in 1972 the choice was between Higson's (local,
independent, pale and sharply hoppy) and Walker's of Warrington (already
in the hands of Allied Breweries and soon to be rebranded as Tetley's
although the bland generic product of the Warrington operation was
nowhere near as good as proper Tetley's from Leeds). There was also
Greenall Whitley, which was regarded as piss-water and the company
followed a similar growth path to Greene King's and no longer brews. All
are now extinct although central Liverpool is now awash with the
products of some top-notch microbreweries. Today's Liverpool is very
different from the gritty, edgy and subversively creative Liverpool of
1972, which in retrospect I would never have swapped either Oxford or
Cambridge for.

(some parts of this post are from A Memoir In Progress)
Mike
2020-02-20 20:48:27 UTC
WHen I was still a young thing,...... (we still had yards in
those days)
john
You had a yard? We dreamt of having a share in a window box - but we also
dreamt of having a window...
2020-02-20 21:29:10 UTC
WHen I was still a young thing,...... (we still had yards in
those days)
john
You had a yard? We dreamt of having a share in a window box - but we also
dreamt of having a window...
You wuz lucky.

We 'ad pipe dreams.
2020-02-20 22:20:57 UTC
WHen I was still a young thing,...... (we still had yards in those
days)
john
You had a yard? We dreamt of having a share in a window box - but we
also dreamt of having a window...
You wuz lucky.
We 'ad pipe dreams.
Pipe dreams? Luxury. When I were a lad we 'ad to make do wit' pipe clamps.

2020-02-21 08:22:19 UTC
WHen I was still a young thing,...... (we still had yards in
those days)
john
You had a yard? We dreamt of having a share in a window box - but we also
dreamt of having a window...
You wuz lucky.
We 'ad pipe dreams.
We wuz just told to ‘Pipe Down!’
2020-02-21 13:52:12 UTC
We wuz just told to ‘Pipe Down!’
Three things which I am really quite keen on are bagpipe music, men in
kilts and flash mobs.

YouTube got it spot on the other day when among its recommendations for
me was a flash mob by the pipers of a Scottish regiment in full dress
regalia.

Poor little Plum got quite worried as she is not used to seeing her
Mummy crying, but I was just so moved by the whole thing!
Wrexham, UK
BrritSki
2020-02-21 14:24:03 UTC
We wuz just told to ‘Pipe Down!’
Three things which I am really quite keen on are bagpipe music, men in
kilts and flash mobs.
YouTube got it spot on the other day when among its recommendations for
me was a flash mob by the pipers of a Scottish regiment in full dress
regalia.
Poor little Plum got quite worried as she is not used to seeing her
Mummy crying, but I was just so moved by the whole thing!
There are so many F'r'Us leads in there that I don't know where to start
! :)
Chris McMillan
2020-02-21 12:04:33 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I supped many a pint of Greene King IPA in the Panton during my two
years living in that city.
They did serve a good pint, didn't they?  It was well worth the
significant extra walk.
WHen I was still a young thing, too young to drink alcoholic beverages
legally, my sisters had a flat about 50 yards (we still had yards in
those days) down Panton Street. Many a pint of Abbot was quaffed.
Later there was The Rock when one sister moved to Blinco Grove, there
was always The Granta and occasionally the Fort St George. Years later
when future wife #2 was living in Tenison Road the Salisbury Arms was
just a step away.
john
Where’s LFF when you need her?

Sincerely Chris
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-20 23:45:04 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Sid Nuncius
And the unimaginably romantic setting of the Chemistry Department car
park on Lensfield Road was where wofe and I finally and irrevocably
got together, en route from The Panton to Lan Hong House, the 44th
anniversary of which was a couple of weeks ago.
That wasn't you and wofe, was it, getting together with abandon on that autumn
night, late enough for the lamp in the middle to be out, when I took a
short cut diagonally across Parker's Piece? No, I guess you were earlier
than that.
Good heavens, no! I didn't get where I am today by getting together
with abandon on Parker's Piece.[1]
[1]There was a good deal of getting together with abandon in more
private locations, mind you. ;o)
ISTR that in the wee small hours after the lamp in the middle was turned
out it's big enough to be quite private. It's not as if Cambridge,
outside May Week anyway, is exactly The City That Never Sleeps. And
especially not in September.

2020-02-21 06:40:24 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
That wasn't you and wofe, was it, getting together with abandon on that autumn
night, late enough for the lamp in the middle to be out, when I took a
short cut diagonally across Parker's Piece? No, I guess you were earlier
than that.
Good heavens, no! I didn't get where I am today by getting together
with abandon on Parker's Piece.[1]
[1]There was a good deal of getting together with abandon in more
private locations, mind you. ;o)
ISTR that in the wee small hours after the lamp in the middle was turned
out it's big enough to be quite private. It's not as if Cambridge,
outside May Week anyway, is exactly The City That Never Sleeps. And
especially not in September.
True, but a deserted Parker's Piece in the wee smalls was not an
advisable place to be. Understandably, given the attitudes and
behaviour of some students, some local residents were unkindly disposed
toward undergraduates and were not above administering beatings to those
caught alone in deserted locations. Abandon was safer (and a good deal
more comfortable) indoors.
2020-02-21 10:04:15 UTC
On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 06:40:24 +0000, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Understandably, given the attitudes and
behaviour of some students, some local residents were unkindly disposed
toward undergraduates and were not above administering beatings to those
caught alone in deserted locations. Abandon was safer (and a good deal
more comfortable) indoors.
Gay abandon in particular?
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-21 14:19:17 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Understandably, given the attitudes and
behaviour of some students, some local residents were unkindly disposed
toward undergraduates and were not above administering beatings to those
caught alone in deserted locations. Abandon was safer (and a good deal
more comfortable) indoors.
Gay abandon in particular?
Don’t tell Sid...
... Sell in December...

2020-02-18 20:48:42 UTC
On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 16:25:23 +0000, Rosalind Mitchell wrote:

[]
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
That's got me trying to remember the name of the basse-cuisine Cambridge
café that served hearty platesful of moussaka, spaghetti and chips
around 1981 (gosh, it's nearly 40 years since I lived there). Presumably
aimed at rugger/rowing types.
I went there in the late 70s - YUM! I can't remember the name either.
2020-02-18 22:07:44 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
That's got me trying to remember the name of the basse-cuisine Cambridge
café that served hearty platesful of moussaka, spaghetti and chips
around 1981 (gosh, it's nearly 40 years since I lived there). Presumably
aimed at rugger/rowing types.
I went there in the late 70s - YUM! I can't remember the name either.
The Chinese restaurant we went to as students in Sheffield had sweet
and sour and bread and butter and a pot of tea.
Sid Nuncius
2020-02-19 09:59:29 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
<ra> Ooooah NOOOOOOOah! </ra> That is sacrilege! It's not moussaka
without aubergine! Why???
That's got me trying to remember the name of the basse-cuisine Cambridge
café that served hearty platesful of moussaka, spaghetti and chips
around 1981 (gosh, it's nearly 40 years since I lived there). Presumably
aimed at rugger/rowing types.
The Eros in Petty Cury? Or The Whim on Trinity Street? Both served
pretty much the same stuff (allegedly with occasional cat/dog food
additions) in the mid-70s when I was a hungry student[1] and often ate
there, sometimes after having had an earlier dinner in college.

<drifts off into nostalgic reverie>

[1]But not a rugger or rowing type.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-19 19:39:54 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
<ra> Ooooah NOOOOOOOah! </ra> That is sacrilege! It's not moussaka
without aubergine! Why???
That's got me trying to remember the name of the basse-cuisine Cambridge
café that served hearty platesful of moussaka, spaghetti and chips
around 1981 (gosh, it's nearly 40 years since I lived there). Presumably
aimed at rugger/rowing types.
The Eros in Petty Cury? Or The Whim on Trinity Street? Both served
pretty much the same stuff (allegedly with occasional cat/dog food
additions) in the mid-70s when I was a hungry student[1] and often ate
there, sometimes after having had an earlier dinner in college.
The Whim sounds very plausible. I can't be sure at that distance but I
think you may have nailed it.

Rosalind Mitchell
2020-02-18 16:20:00 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Iceland's 'luxury' range of ready meals is pretty good a
Their Swedish meatballs are scrummy - we have th e most weeks, either
in toad-in- the-hole or with pasta, in a tomato&pepper sauce.
Meatballs as well as sausage in the toad in the hole, or instead of?
Sounds good to me either way.

Rosemary Miskin
2020-02-18 17:44:39 UTC
Rosie asked
Meatballs as well as sausage in the toad in the hole, or instead of?
Instead - we prefer them as they are less fatty than sausages, and the 'toads '
are better distributed in the batter.

Rosemary
Sam Plusnet
2020-02-11 20:38:37 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
But the one to avoid at all costs is Parsley Box.  Their meals are not
frozen but can be kept in the cupboard for a while.  However, the food
- and in particular the mashed potato - is *disgusting*.  And the
portions are very small too.
Thanks.  I'd been  wondering whether to try those.  I think I'll give
them a pass.
Good idea.
We bought some to take with us as quick & easy meals whilst in the
caravan. Disgusting isn't quite a strong enough word for some of their
offerings, but the cottage pie was truly vile.