UMRA birthday info for 1 October 2020
Birthday Monitor
2020-10-01 06:25:52 UTC
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
2020-10-01 08:09:01 UTC
On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 06:25:52 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
Many happy returns, young Chris! I hope the day holds many good
things.
Sid Nuncius
2020-10-04 13:01:14 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
Many happy returns, young Chris! I hope the day holds many good
things.
And from me!
Methinks the Sainted Jill may not be so lucky for whatever Lizzie and
Freddie have planned. With the rule of six, why haven’t we heard of a Zoom
event?

2020-10-04 19:52:34 UTC
Methinks the Sainted Jill may not be so lucky for whatever Lizzie and
Freddie have planned. With the rule of six, why haven’t we heard of a Zoom
event?
It would have to be renamed. Can't have advertising on the BBC.

2020-10-05 18:25:56 UTC
Methinks the Sainted Jill may not be so lucky for whatever Lizzie and
Freddie have planned. With the rule of six, why haven’t we heard of a Zoom
event?
It would have to be renamed. Can't have advertising on the BBC.
....except beyond the UK where the bbc.co.uk website automagically
morphs into bbc.com and starts advert-flinging. Perhaps they could
produce an international version of TA like they did in the old days
only this time incorporate product placement and sponsored stories.

2020-10-05 21:01:28 UTC
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 15:25:56, Nick Odell
Methinks the Sainted Jill may not be so lucky for whatever Lizzie and
Freddie have planned. With the rule of six, why haven’t we heard of a Zoom
event?
It would have to be renamed. Can't have advertising on the BBC.
....except beyond the UK where the bbc.co.uk website automagically
morphs into bbc.com and starts advert-flinging. Perhaps they could
produce an international version of TA like they did in the old days
only this time incorporate product placement and sponsored stories.
Nick
Interesting thought: what sort of products _could_ be product placed in
TA? I suppose agricultural machinery (Massey Ferguson, John Dere ...),
livestock drugs, things you put on crops (if legal in England). Can't
think of _much_ more, for a prog. set in England. (Miscellaneous
household products probably wouldn't have recognisable names abroad -
unless the international version was _extremely_ crass. Which it could
be; I've heard some such [such as the Spanish-language station broadcast
from, I think, Ascension during the Falklands; subtle, it wasn't].)

I remember there being some coverage, quite a few years ago, of a series
being made set somewhere else - I _think_ it was Afghanistan - and TA
being consulted for advice. Not sure who was making it, though BBC World
Service seems most likely.

If you can't construct a coherent argument for the other side, you probably
don't understand your own opinion. - Scott Adams, 2015
Nick Odell
2020-10-06 00:23:38 UTC
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 22:01:28 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Search Google for that well-known umra expletive, Rruga me Pisha!

2020-10-05 22:03:05 UTC
I remember there being some coverage, quite a few years ago, of a series
being made set somewhere else - I _think_ it was Afghanistan - and TA
being consulted for advice. Not sure who was making it, though BBC World
Service seems most likely.
It was indeed the World Service, making a kind of Afghan Archers in
Pashtun, to encourage sustainable farming through cheerful and sometimes
rather subversive (or at least when my friend Bruce was writing them)
stories. I'm fairly sure Bruce never took advice from anyone associated
with TA, but I imagine the people who commissioned him did.
2020-10-06 07:33:05 UTC
[...]
I think you may be referring to Ruga my Pisha? (Speling???)
2020-10-01 10:53:36 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
Happy birthday Chris and enjoy your visit to the chocolate café :)
Q. Are you a piece of string?
A. No, I'm afraid not.
Sam Plusnet
2020-10-01 19:27:24 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
Happy birthday Chris and enjoy your visit to the chocolate café :)
Followed by a visit to the chocolate bunker.

Happy hippos!
Min
2020-10-02 00:50:54 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
Happy birthday Chris and enjoy your visit to the chocolate café :)
Followed by a visit to the chocolate bunker.
Happy hippos!
Belated Happies from me and the Hounds!
Min
Mike
2020-10-02 13:48:27 UTC
Post by Min
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
Happy birthday Chris and enjoy your visit to the chocolate café :)
Followed by a visit to the chocolate bunker.
Happy hippos!
Belated Happies from me and the Hounds!
Yeap, the whole day went very well indeed; chocolate was consumed in Henley
and the sun shone for a walk along the Thames where a Mr. Whippy 99 with
flake was purchased and consumed by each of us and the icing on the cake
was that ERNIE coughed up 50 quid for Chris and 125 quid for me!
2020-10-02 18:15:53 UTC
On 02-Oct-20 14:48, Mike wrote:
<snip>
Post by Mike
a walk along the Thames where a Mr. Whippy 99 with
flake was purchased and consumed
<snip>

No wonder she's still with you after all these years Mike.
You really know how to treat a girl to the finer things in life.
2020-10-03 07:10:54 UTC
<snip>
Post by Mike
a walk along the Thames where a Mr. Whippy 99 with
flake was purchased and consumed
<snip>
No wonder she's still with you after all these years Mike.
You really know how to treat a girl to the finer things in life.
Well, fortunately, we were able to really splash out ‘cos we used our bus
passes to travel to HOT!
2020-10-04 13:01:15 UTC
<snip>
Post by Mike
a walk along the Thames where a Mr. Whippy 99 with
flake was purchased and consumed
<snip>
No wonder she's still with you after all these years Mike.
You really know how to treat a girl to the finer things in life.
Yeah, in 2007 he even let me vanish into China on a guided tour! :)

2020-10-03 10:44:08 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
Happy birthday Chris and enjoy your visit to the chocolate café :)
The menu has been simplified, thsnks to Covid but we still had a window
table, and apparently is now known as “The Chocolate Theatre Cafe”. The
nearby am dram company is (not making it up) The Kenton Theatre.

2020-10-03 10:44:07 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
We escaped Reading for the first time for “The Chocolate Cafe” in Henley
which reopened recently. A cup of hot Belgian dark melted chocolate drops
each with our lunch has boosted our choccie ration for the day.

Being the Chinese Mid Autumn moon festival day, I’ve not only had a steamed
pork bun for breakfast but will have a similar steamed bun filled with red
bean paste for a late tea.

A walk along the Thames in Henley, with an ice cream, and a flake, has
completed our day.

2020-10-03 11:57:58 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
We escaped Reading for the first time for “The Chocolate Cafe” in Henley
which reopened recently. A cup of hot Belgian dark melted chocolate drops
each with our lunch has boosted our choccie ration for the day.
Being the Chinese Mid Autumn moon festival day, I’ve not only had a steamed
pork bun for breakfast but will have a similar steamed bun filled with red
bean paste for a late tea.
A walk along the Thames in Henley, with an ice cream, and a flake, has
completed our day.
Sincerely Chris
You mean I treated a girl twice?!
Toodle Pipe
Chris McMillan
2020-10-05 12:27:59 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 1 October: Robin Parkinson RIP and Chris
McMillan.
We escaped Reading for the first time for “The Chocolate Cafe” in Henley
which reopened recently. A cup of hot Belgian dark melted chocolate drops
each with our lunch has boosted our choccie ration for the day.
Being the Chinese Mid Autumn moon festival day, I’ve not only had a steamed
pork bun for breakfast but will have a similar steamed bun filled with red
bean paste for a late tea.
A walk along the Thames in Henley, with an ice cream, and a flake, has
completed our day.
Sincerely Chris
You mean I treated a girl twice?!
:). It did need a second ‘yes’, so you did.