Never give a Grundy an even break...
2020-11-21 08:26:49 UTC
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.

And as for Eddie losing his metal detector to David and ‘borrowing it’ from
David, well I hope it works better than David’s built in lie detector seems
to!
2020-11-21 09:11:16 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 08:26:49 GMT, Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
And as for Eddie losing his metal detector to David and ‘borrowing it’ from
David, well I hope it works better than David’s built in lie detector seems
to!
I missed the bit about the turkeys. I think David knew whose metal
detector it was.
Mike McMillan
2020-11-21 09:24:27 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 08:26:49 GMT, Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
And as for Eddie losing his metal detector to David and ‘borrowing it’ from
David, well I hope it works better than David’s built in lie detector seems
to!
I missed the bit about the turkeys. I think David knew whose metal
detector it was.
08:00 news on Radio 3 this morning, it would appear that very few large
turkeys are being ordered due to reduced size of family groups at the
dining table - small birds are the main requirement this year.
Steve Hague
2020-11-21 09:40:27 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 08:26:49 GMT, Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
And as for Eddie losing his metal detector to David and ‘borrowing it’ from
David, well I hope it works better than David’s built in lie detector seems
to!
I missed the bit about the turkeys. I think David knew whose metal
detector it was.
08:00 news on Radio 3 this morning, it would appear that very few large
turkeys are being ordered due to reduced size of family groups at the
dining table - small birds are the main requirement this year.
Aren't turkeys generally on the large size of enormous? We don't do
turkey, due to the blandness of the taste and the waste involved. Guinea
fowl's good though.
2020-11-21 10:30:20 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Aren't turkeys generally on the large size of enormous? We don't do
turkey, due to the blandness of the taste and the waste involved. Guinea
fowl's good though.
We haven't ordered a turkey yet as there is still a faint hope that
Norty Dorter will go to SoL's family in Italy for Christmas, in which
case we will have Xmas Lunch with BrratSki (and then leave on Boxing Day
for skiing).

However I asked the local farm who raises them a few weeks ago and they
said the sizes will be same as last year as they started growing them on
long before the second wave and lockdown were imposed.
Vicky Ayech
2020-11-21 11:07:26 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 09:40:27 +0000, Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Steve
Yes, they often have that in Sainsburys. We've had Guinea fowl now and
then.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-11-21 14:29:18 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
I missed the bit about the turkeys.
(So did I.)
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
08:00 news on Radio 3 this morning, it would appear that very few large
turkeys are being ordered due to reduced size of family groups at the
dining table - small birds are the main requirement this year.
I had been wondering what the lead time is; Brittski's post suggests too
long, i. e. turkey farmers will have a hard time of it as have already
started. I wonder if the growth can be changed - different diet or
something. (Maybe making better _quality_ meat? Though I don't know if
people will be willing to pay what they did for a big one, with pennies
being minded.)
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Steve Hague
Aren't turkeys generally on the large size of enormous? We don't do
I've always thought so - and not that fond of it anyway; especially as
served in canteens etc., where IME it tends to be very dry.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Steve Hague
turkey, due to the blandness of the taste and the waste involved. Guinea
fowl's good though.
Steve
Yes, they often have that in Sainsburys. We've had Guinea fowl now and
then.
My mum did duck at least once - and more than once, we just had a big
roast; on the whole, I'd prefer that (especially if it has crackling,
yum). Don't think I've ever had guinea fowl (or would even know what one
looks like).

Loved the Eccles cake crack - I thought it was McToodles! - but did
cause me to wonder, _is_ peacock edible? (Well, I'm sure it is in the
sense that anything is, but I meant is there anything special about it -
does anyone farm them? Or is there even some arcane legislation
preventing it [such as only the Royal family can, or similar]?)

"Bother," said Pooh, as Eeyore sneezed the crack all over Owl.
BrritSki
2020-11-21 14:39:26 UTC
My mum did duck at least once - and more than once
# All of a sudden a f***ing great pudden
Came flying through the air
Did she duck ?
Did she f***
It hit her fair and square
#
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-11-21 15:22:32 UTC
My mum did duck at least once - and more than once
OK, feedlines R us, though I honestly didn't mean to ...
Post by BrritSki
# All of a sudden a f***ing great pudden
Came flying through the air
Did she duck ?
Did she f***
It hit her fair and square
#
... and LOL!

How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work
of the devil? - Andy Hamilton on HIGNFY, 2010
Serena Blanchflower
2020-11-21 15:40:56 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
08:00 news on Radio 3 this morning, it would appear that very few large
turkeys are being ordered due to reduced size of family groups at the
dining table - small birds are the main requirement this year.
I had been wondering what the lead time is; Brittski's post suggests too
long, i. e. turkey farmers will have a hard time of it as have already
started. I wonder if the growth can be changed - different diet or
something. (Maybe making better _quality_ meat? Though I don't know if
people will be willing to pay what they did for a big one, with pennies
being minded.)
Yes, the birds will need to be pretty much full size by now, ready for
butchering. I heard something about it on the radio, a month or two
ago, with turkey farmers worrying about what they could do and cutting
down on the feed, so as not to fatten them up too much.
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary
John Finlay
2020-11-21 13:25:46 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I believe the Bull is offering peacock this Christmas in a bun. They're
calling them Eccles cakae.
Mike McMillan

N.
Chris McMillan

2020-11-24 16:30:09 UTC
Post by John Finlay
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Sorry, funny, but doesn't have that certain something.

Or is the mis-spelling of cakes deliberate and I've been whooshed again ?
Mike McMillan
2020-11-24 18:06:16 UTC
Post by John Finlay
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I think the non-veggie version leaves out the pea.
2020-11-25 13:24:44 UTC
Post by John Finlay
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I make those typos all the time, so it wasn’t for that. Bottoms was right.

Yes, she was, but about what in particular in this case ?
Chris McMillan
2020-11-27 13:43:31 UTC
Post by John Finlay
I believe the Bull is offering peacock this Christmas in a bun. They're
calling them Eccles cakae.
BTN please
Sorry, funny, but doesn't have that certain something.
Or is the mis-spelling of cakes deliberate and I've been whooshed again ?
I make those typos all the time, so it wasn’t for that. Bottoms was right.
Yes, she was, but about what in particular in this case ?
That what Bottoms said then still rings true. No criticism of you
Britters. Gives the rest of you a laugh anyway.

But what did she say ? That is the question....
John Ashby
2020-11-27 15:52:01 UTC
Post by John Finlay
I believe the Bull is offering peacock this Christmas in a bun. They're
calling them Eccles cakae.
BTN please
Sorry, funny, but doesn't have that certain something.
Or is the mis-spelling of cakes deliberate and I've been whooshed again ?
I make those typos all the time, so it wasn’t for that.  Bottoms was
right.
Yes, she was, but about what in particular in this case ?
That what Bottoms said then still rings true.
But what did she say ?  That is the question....
Wasn't that Pip's quandary over Rosie's paternity: Toby or not Toby?

:)
Chris McMillan
2020-11-29 18:34:58 UTC
Post by John Finlay
I believe the Bull is offering peacock this Christmas in a bun. They're
calling them Eccles cakae.
BTN please
Sorry, funny, but doesn't have that certain something.
Or is the mis-spelling of cakes deliberate and I've been whooshed again ?
I make those typos all the time, so it wasn’t for that. Bottoms was right.
Yes, she was, but about what in particular in this case ?
That what Bottoms said then still rings true.
But what did she say ? That is the question....
That I was too innocent to recognise a bad taste. As yet again I have
proved.

Sincerely Chris
John Finlay
2020-11-30 12:33:47 UTC
Post by John Finlay
I believe the Bull is offering peacock this Christmas in a bun. They're
calling them Eccles cakae.
BTN please
Sorry, funny, but doesn't have that certain something.
Or is the mis-spelling of cakes deliberate and I've been whooshed again ?
I make those typos all the time, so it wasn’t for that. Bottoms was right.
Yes, she was, but about what in particular in this case ?
That what Bottoms said then still rings true.
But what did she say ? That is the question....
That I was too innocent to recognise a bad taste. As yet again I have
proved.
Sincerely Chris
BTW - It was a typo. Fat fingers I'm afraid.

Vicky Ayech
2020-11-25 14:01:32 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 09:24:27 GMT, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 08:26:49 GMT, Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ?We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie? everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that?s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW?s didn?t even need to kick
you down this time.
And as for Eddie losing his metal detector to David and ?borrowing it? from
David, well I hope it works better than David?s built in lie detector seems
to!
I missed the bit about the turkeys. I think David knew whose metal
detector it was.
08:00 news on Radio 3 this morning, it would appear that very few large
turkeys are being ordered due to reduced size of family groups at the
dining table - small birds are the main requirement this year.
I saw a thread on ransnet this morning where people spoke about what
they will have for Christmas food. Many were not having turkey at all.
The pork Wellington sounded a nice idea.
krw
2020-11-25 14:33:48 UTC
I saw a thread on ransnet this morning where people spoke about what
they will have for Christmas food. Many were not having turkey at all.
The pork Wellington sounded a nice idea.
Now why would I read that as rantnet?
2020-11-25 18:26:45 UTC
I saw a thread on ransnet this morning where people spoke about what
they will have for Christmas food. Many were not having turkey at all.
The pork Wellington sounded a nice idea.
Now why would I read that as rantnet?
I meant gransnet, sorry. Two badly typed posts there. It will not be
good for Eddie if people are n ot having turkey but I suppose it is
good for David , Tony and Neil.
John Ashby
2020-11-25 18:36:34 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Is it allowed to comment on our East-West Divan Poster (with her Jewish
heritage and her Moslem marriage) considering pork for Christmas? Truly
ecumenical.

2020-11-25 19:04:37 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I saw them once - Barenboim's West–Eastern Divan Orchestra -
performing in the middle of a street in the middle of Buenos Aires in
the middle of winter.

The street was the Nueve de Julio, the widest street in the world, and
they had built an enormous bandstage over the central divide. It was
winter, Jim, but not as we know it. In fact, not even as porteños know
it - the temperature exceeded 30 deg C that afternoon. But we all had
a marvelous time.

2020-11-25 19:16:54 UTC
I saw a thread on ransnet this morning where people spoke about what
(IRTA ramsnet, though realised!)
they will have for Christmas food. Many were not having turkey at all.
The pork Wellington sounded a nice idea.
Is it allowed to comment on our East-West Divan Poster (with her Jewish
heritage and her Moslem marriage) considering pork for Christmas? Truly
ecumenical.
john
I haven't encountered that use of the word Divan before, so I wondered
if a Divan Poster might be a variation on a four-poster, or an Ottoman

Remembrance of things past is not necessarily the remembrance of things as
they were. - Marcel Proust
Sam Plusnet
2020-11-25 21:20:13 UTC
Post by John Ashby
they will have for Christmas food. Many were not having turkey at all.
The pork Wellington sounded a nice idea.
Is it allowed to comment on our East-West Divan Poster (with her
Jewish heritage and her Moslem marriage) considering pork for
Christmas? Truly ecumenical.
I haven't encountered that use of the word Divan before, so I wondered
if a Divan Poster might be a variation on a four-poster, or an Ottoman ...
The East-West placing of the divan intrigues me. Is this an aspect of
feng shui?
2020-11-25 21:33:55 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I didn't get East-West Divan either jpg. Divan as in bed?
Anyway, we tried to cover all bases and first daughter's godmother was
Anglican :). No ceremony but sort of kept in reserve.
Penny
2020-11-21 14:49:51 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 08:26:49 GMT, Mike McMillan <***@ntlworld.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
What happened to the butcher that Tom used to use - Maurice?
If he has a vacuum packer, which seems likely, he could get together with
Eddie and produce freezer-ready de-constructed turkey.
2020-11-21 15:28:23 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
What happened to the butcher that Tom used to use - Maurice?
If he has a vacuum packer, which seems likely, he could get together with
Eddie and produce freezer-ready de-constructed turkey.
Good idea. Though I don't remember Eddie ever doing a _collaborative_
venture of the sort that this would be - working together over a period.
He likes to be in control. Sure, he'll work with someone else, but has
to be defined phases: he'll buy stuff and then flog it (as with the
infamous dodgy meat quite a few years ago), but the sections of the
activity are separate - he wants control over the, say, selling.

Serena Blanchflower
2020-11-21 15:36:57 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
What happened to the butcher that Tom used to use - Maurice?
If he has a vacuum packer, which seems likely, he could get together with
Eddie and produce freezer-ready de-constructed turkey.
Yes, that would be the sensible option. Sadly, probably too sensible
for Eddie. It wouldn't surprise me though if we see a lot of turkey
portions on offer in the supermarkets in the new year.
I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.
Mike McMillan
2020-11-21 17:25:55 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
What happened to the butcher that Tom used to use - Maurice?
If he has a vacuum packer, which seems likely, he could get together with
Eddie and produce freezer-ready de-constructed turkey.
Yes, that would be the sensible option. Sadly, probably too sensible
for Eddie. It wouldn't surprise me though if we see a lot of turkey
portions on offer in the supermarkets in the new year.
Alice won’t be the only one going cold turkey then.
2020-11-21 18:04:58 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 17:25:55 GMT, Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
What happened to the butcher that Tom used to use - Maurice?
If he has a vacuum packer, which seems likely, he could get together with
Eddie and produce freezer-ready de-constructed turkey.
Yes, that would be the sensible option. Sadly, probably too sensible
for Eddie. It wouldn't surprise me though if we see a lot of turkey
portions on offer in the supermarkets in the new year.
Alice won’t be the only one going cold turkey then.
Turkey leg, breast, mince etc is on offer all year and has been for
years. The leg is for roast for maybe two people but has a tendon
along it which makes it harder to carve. The breast is seen as
schnitzels, not very good. The mince is lower calories than beef or
lamb.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-11-21 23:02:15 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 at 18:04:58, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
Turkey leg, breast, mince etc is on offer all year and has been for
years. The leg is for roast for maybe two people but has a tendon
along it which makes it harder to carve. The breast is seen as
schnitzels, not very good. The mince is lower calories than beef or
lamb.
There are also the various processed forms - the infamous turkey
twizzlers, which have recently reappeared (I'm sure to the despair of
some) but I've never had, and (I think they're a Bernard Matthews only
product; they seem to be rather rarely available) "Mini Kievs", which I
like.

You make it from scratch?
Yep.
Do you make your own scratch?
"pyotr filipivich" in alt.windows7.general 2017-5-20
Penny
2020-11-21 23:33:58 UTC
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 18:04:58 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Turkey leg, breast, mince etc is on offer all year and has been for
years. The leg is for roast for maybe two people but has a tendon
along it which makes it harder to carve. The breast is seen as
schnitzels, not very good.
And as a Turkey Crown - just the breasts - always the driest, least tasty
part of any fowl. When I lived above a restaurant, they always cooked the
Christmas turkey breast separately from the legs, which seemed sensible as
they really need different treatment or the legs got over-done.
Post by Vicky Ayech
The mince is lower calories than beef or
lamb.
And was served in school dinners for some years after the BCJ(?) scandal.
My children would have nothing to do with it.
Steve Hague
2020-11-23 10:01:27 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
What happened to the butcher that Tom used to use - Maurice?
If he has a vacuum packer, which seems likely, he could get together with
Eddie and produce freezer-ready de-constructed turkey.
Yes, that would be the sensible option.  Sadly, probably too sensible
for Eddie.  It wouldn't surprise me though if we see a lot of turkey
portions on offer in the supermarkets in the new year.
Poultry is strange. You can generally buy goose fat for roasting your
potatoes, but as far as I know, you can only get goose fat by cooking a
goose. So what happens to the rest of the goose? You don't see it for
sale in the shops. I asked a friend who's a recently retired butcher,
and he didn't know, but guessed it was sent overseas, but which part of
overseas he didn't know.
Mike McMillan
2020-11-23 10:12:30 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
It used to produce fruit ...... Gooseberries.
IGMG
2020-11-23 13:45:41 UTC
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 at 10:12:30, Mike McMillan
[]
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Steve Hague
Poultry is strange. You can generally buy goose fat for roasting your
potatoes, but as far as I know, you can only get goose fat by cooking a
goose. So what happens to the rest of the goose? You don't see it for
sale in the shops. I asked a friend who's a recently retired butcher,
and he didn't know, but guessed it was sent overseas, but which part of
overseas he didn't know.
It used to produce fruit ...... Gooseberries.
IGMG
You'll get your ... goat?

(Re Steve's enquiry, I was thinking "that's a good question" - obviously
Anne's suggestion, that it was the other way round [rather than
producing goose fat then having to figure out what to do with the rest
of the goose, maybe exporting it, we instead import the fat!] hadn't
occurred to either of us! I've never examined a jar to see where it
comes from, it being something I don't buy.)

Anybody who thinks there can be unlimited growth in a static, limited
environment, is either mad or an economist. - Sir David Attenborough, in
Radio Times 10-16 November 2012
Anne B
2020-11-23 10:56:21 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
I just assumed that is was only the fat that was imported, and that the
rest of the goose was eaten wherever it was produced?

Anne B
Serena Blanchflower
2020-11-23 11:22:16 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Certainly the jar of goose fat that I've got in my fridge describes
itself as having been packed in France. I assume that the rest of the
goose was both cooked and consumed there.
All people smile in the same language.
Penny
2020-11-23 14:22:04 UTC
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 11:22:16 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Anne B
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Ah, possibly a side product of paté de foie gras?
2020-11-23 14:43:21 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Along with confit goose and various other goosey goodies.
In baiting a mouse trap with cheese, always leave room for the mouse. (Saki)
Vicky Ayech
2020-11-23 18:46:36 UTC
On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 14:43:21 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Anne B
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I thought of the foie gras too.
When I was teaching in Spain for a year or so at Xmas we were treated
to a many courses lunch by one of the parents of the children in their
restaurant, and foie gras was one of the courses and I'd had chopped
liver but the foie gras was really delicious and in a different
league.
Chris McMillan
2020-11-24 09:00:19 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Just as Eddie is taking orders for Christmas Turkeys .... ‘We want a small
bird this year pleaase Eddie’ everywhere he goes ... small bird this
year... that’s Covid-19 for you Eddie, the SW’s didn’t even need to kick
you down this time.
What happened to the butcher that Tom used to use - Maurice?
If he has a vacuum packer, which seems likely, he could get together with
Eddie and produce freezer-ready de-constructed turkey.
Maurice, yes, and he had a vacuum packer thingy. Got a feeling Maurice
retired after Tom’s last sausage fiasco.