Union Flag
2020-05-09 12:46:40 UTC
The people almost opposite but up the road a little have draped a large
Union Jack over their gate.

From here with the flagpost non-existent but in theory on the left
(which is I believe the standard) I think it could be upside down and
signalling distress.

From their side I suspect it looks correct.

Should I go and see if they are signalling distress or would my presence
distress them?
2020-05-09 13:13:08 UTC
On Sat, 9 May 2020 13:46:40 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
The people almost opposite but up the road a little have draped a large
Union Jack over their gate.
From here with the flagpost non-existent but in theory on the left
(which is I believe the standard) I think it could be upside down and
signalling distress.
From their side I suspect it looks correct.
Should I go and see if they are signalling distress or would my presence
distress them?
Last time I witnessed someone suggesting a union flag was upside down, he
(and I as part of the same group) was chucked out of the pub.
2020-05-09 18:39:43 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
The people almost opposite but up the road a little have draped a large
Union Jack over their gate.
From here with the flagpost non-existent but in theory on the left
(which is I believe the standard) I think it could be upside down and
signalling distress.
From their side I suspect it looks correct.
Should I go and see if they are signalling distress or would my presence
distress them?
Last time I witnessed someone suggesting a union flag was upside down, he
(and I as part of the same group) was chucked out of the pub.
So. We were driving from Hobart into Cygnet, my sister, brother-in-law
and I, when ex-soldier b-i-l slammed on the brakes and parked the car
in shrubbery just around the corner from the local primary school.
Stay here, he said, as he slipped out of the car checked the perimeter
and made his way around the school under cover of the hedges.

Eventually he made contact with the caretaker. Psssst - do you need
help? Shall I call the police?

Why would you want to do that? puzzled the caretaker. Everything is
fine, it is just a normal day.

You are flying the National Flag upside down (The Oz flag is a tad
less subtle when it is inverted) Thought you might have a hostage
situation in the school.

No worries, came back the caretaker. Stupid burke who ran the flag up
the pole this morning just did it all wrong. Everything is normal -
but thanks for checking anyway.

2020-05-09 13:28:45 UTC
The people almost opposite but up the road a little have draped a large
Union Jack over their gate.
From here with the flagpost non-existent but in theory on the left
(which is I believe the standard) I think it could be upside down and
signalling distress.
From their side I suspect it looks correct.
Should I go and see if they are signalling distress or would my presence
distress them?
Boy Scouts taught me to ensure the thicker white stripe is at the top of
the flag pole.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-05-09 13:31:51 UTC
I recently found out that the (Southern) Irish equivalent is flying the Ivory Coast flag.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-05-09 19:41:41 UTC
On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 06:31:51, Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
I recently found out that the (Southern) Irish equivalent is flying the Ivory Coast flag.
I just learnt (celebrity Mastermind) that the colours of the Irish flag
are supposed to represent the catholic and protestant parts, and the
harmony between them. (That's the best I can remember of the
explanation, anyway [it was "which country's flag ..."]. And no, I don't
think the contestant got it.)

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013
Peter Percival
2020-05-09 21:19:18 UTC
On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 06:31:51, Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
I recently found out that the (Southern) Irish equivalent is flying the Ivory Coast flag.
I just learnt (celebrity Mastermind) that the colours of the Irish flag
are supposed to represent the catholic and protestant parts, and the
harmony between them.
Harmony between then? That would mean the white bit should be a of zero
width!
think the contestant got it.)
Clive Arthur
2020-05-09 15:37:43 UTC
Boy Scouts taught me to ensure the thicker white stripe is at the top of
the flag pole.
Your honour.
--
Cheers
Clive
Sam Plusnet
2020-05-09 21:20:14 UTC
The people almost opposite but up the road a little have draped a large
Union Jack over their gate.
From here with the flagpost non-existent but in theory on the left
(which is I believe the standard) I think it could be upside down and
signalling distress.
From their side I suspect it looks correct.
Should I go and see if they are signalling distress or would my presence
distress them?
Dis-tress?

Is this a new way of indicating "Home barbering done here"?
2020-05-09 22:06:21 UTC
The people almost opposite but up the road a little have draped a
large Union Jack over their gate.
 From here with the flagpost non-existent but in theory on the left
(which is I believe the standard) I think it could be upside down and
signalling distress.
 From their side I suspect it looks correct.
Should I go and see if they are signalling distress or would my
presence distress them?
Dis-tress?
Is this a new way of indicating "Home barbering done here"?
Barbering is something desperately needed here.
2020-05-10 07:13:21 UTC
The people almost opposite but up the road a little have draped a
large Union Jack over their gate.
 From here with the flagpost non-existent but in theory on the left
(which is I believe the standard) I think it could be upside down and
signalling distress.
 From their side I suspect it looks correct.
Should I go and see if they are signalling distress or would my
presence distress them?
Dis-tress?
Is this a new way of indicating "Home barbering done here"?
Barbering is something desperately needed here.
‘Hair today..... still Hair Tomorrow’.
2020-05-10 07:15:56 UTC
The people almost opposite but up the road a little have draped a
large Union Jack over their gate.
 From here with the flagpost non-existent but in theory on the left
(which is I believe the standard) I think it could be upside down and
signalling distress.
 From their side I suspect it looks correct.
Should I go and see if they are signalling distress or would my
presence distress them?
Dis-tress?
Is this a new way of indicating "Home barbering done here"?
Barbering is something desperately needed here.
‘Hair today..... still Hair Tomorrow’.
Although, in my own case, it is more ‘naming of parts’ as it is a case of
‘that you have not got’. ;-)