This is funny, posted on gransnet
2019-12-24 13:46:15 UTC
"ears ago we had a card from someone whose name we didn't recognise.
We found out later who it was from, but we spent so long wondering
about it we decided the following year to 'make up' a couple and send
a card from them to some friends. They worked out who the card was
from and the following year we got a card from the same 'made up'
names. They took on a life of their own, we'd receive postcards saying
they were on holiday, on a cruise, had split up, etc. They have
survived about 25 years now."

It was a thread about Christmas cards people get with just a signature
and no address or postcode on them, and how to guess who they are
from, especially as one gets older.
Mike
2019-12-24 14:26:21 UTC
"ears ago we had a card from someone whose name we didn't recognise.
We found out later who it was from, but we spent so long wondering
about it we decided the following year to 'make up' a couple and send
a card from them to some friends. They worked out who the card was
from and the following year we got a card from the same 'made up'
names. They took on a life of their own, we'd receive postcards saying
they were on holiday, on a cruise, had split up, etc. They have
survived about 25 years now."
It was a thread about Christmas cards people get with just a signature
and no address or postcode on them, and how to guess who they are
from, especially as one gets older.
Morcambe & Wise did a sketch in which Eric was writing his Christmas cards;
Ernie observed that Eric was writing brief messages in cards that he was
re-using. Ernie showed concern at this until Eric explained that he would
add words after the name of the person who has sent the card to Eric in the
first place. ‘You can’t do that Eric!’ ‘Why not said Eric?’ ‘Because that
card was sent to you by John Bartholomew!’ ‘Oh, that’s easy’ said Eric, ‘I
just add that he sends his regards.’

For some years, members of our family received cards including regards from
John Bartholomes....

Oh well, it seemed funny at the time.
2019-12-24 15:01:56 UTC
[...]
Wasn't Eric Morecambe's real name John Bartholomew?
Mike Ruddock
He just heldit atbay?
2019-12-24 16:40:55 UTC
It was a thread about Christmas cards people get with just a signature
and no address or postcode on them, and how to guess who they are
from, especially as one gets older.
Oh that drives me mad! If it's a couple it's usually easier, but we have
cards just saying "Mike", "Sue" etc. Do the senders really assume they are
the only people in the world with that first name? I usually put our
surname in brackets for those who might be in doubt, or the name of our
house.
2019-12-24 16:52:12 UTC
It was a thread about Christmas cards people get with just a signature
and no address or postcode on them, and how to guess who they are
from, especially as one gets older.
Oh that drives me mad! If it's a couple it's usually easier, but we have
cards just saying "Mike", "Sue" etc. Do the senders really assume they are
the only people in the world with that first name? I usually put our
surname in brackets for those who might be in doubt, or the name of our
house.
I agree with every word, I detest trying to work out who the sender really
is!
2019-12-25 01:26:35 UTC
It was a thread about Christmas cards people get with just a signature
and no address or postcode on them, and how to guess who they are
from, especially as one gets older.
Oh that drives me mad! If it's a couple it's usually easier, but we
have cards just saying "Mike", "Sue" etc. Do the senders really assume
they are the only people in the world with that first name? I usually
put our surname in brackets for those who might be in doubt, or the
name of our house.
I agree with every word, I detest trying to work out who the sender
really is!
I don't get enough cards to have to bother about working out who the
senders are.

You smug gits [1]
[1] :-)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-12-25 10:21:08 UTC
I agree with every word, I detest trying to work out who the sender
really is!
I don't get enough cards to have to bother about working out who the
senders are.
You smug gits [1]
I wish I had that few )-:.

Most of the ones I get are from neighbours I don't know. I appreciate
the thought and all that, and do feel I'm being a bit of a scrooge, but
really - it's not that I've lost touch, they're people I never _have_
known, to the extent I'd not know them if I met them in the street.

science is not intended to be foolproof. Science is about crawling toward the
truth over time. - Scott Adams, 2015-2-2
Jenny M Benson
2019-12-24 18:32:44 UTC
Oh that drives me mad! If it's a couple it's usually easier, but we have
cards just saying "Mike", "Sue" etc. Do the senders really assume they are
the only people in the world with that first name? I usually put our
surname in brackets for those who might be in doubt, or the name of our
house.
I have a spreadsheet which has been running since 1996 on which I record
all the Christmas cards I send and receive. I have only listed people
by forename and surname where I have more than one friend of the same
name and neither are half of a couple. In 2013 "Jenny" was added
because she sent me a card. In 2014 I received one from her and sent
her one. In 2016 I looked at the spreadsheet and wondered who on earth
Jenny was - no idea, so didn't sent one. Didn't receive one from her
that year or since, either. Still don't know who she was!
Wrexham, UK
Mike
2019-12-24 18:39:29 UTC
Oh that drives me mad! If it's a couple it's usually easier, but we have
cards just saying "Mike", "Sue" etc. Do the senders really assume they are
the only people in the world with that first name? I usually put our
surname in brackets for those who might be in doubt, or the name of our
house.
I have a spreadsheet which has been running since 1996 on which I record
all the Christmas cards I send and receive. I have only listed people
by forename and surname where I have more than one friend of the same
name and neither are half of a couple. In 2013 "Jenny" was added
because she sent me a card. In 2014 I received one from her and sent
her one. In 2016 I looked at the spreadsheet and wondered who on earth
Jenny was - no idea, so didn't sent one. Didn't receive one from her
that year or since, either. Still don't know who she was!
So your shadow has stopped sending you cards already?
Min
2019-12-24 23:42:05 UTC
I found a message from someone on FB, sent in November, last week. It had
gone into my non-friends bit, which was why I hadn't seen it. He asked if
I was 'Ginger' Lacey's daughter, so I confirmed I was - he described himself
as a 'fellow rogue' who had been in Hospital with him. He hen claimed to
have been in Dad's "beloved Army"(?) and that they had been together in
Hospital in the Isle of Wight. Which Dad wasn't. He claimed to have not
being allowed to attend Dad's funeral, and suggested I might like to investigate
this. I replied that I knew where father died, and it wasn't the Isle of Wight.
'Tis the Season To Be Jolly, so I didn't suggest he resumed taking his meds, but
wished him a Nice Life. He then said 'Yeah, have a nice life too', and
claimed that all the Heads of Service had visited Dad in Hospital.
Finishing 'Out'. He's been blocked, but sometimes you wonder what Really
Famous people have to go through...
Min
Joe Kerr
2019-12-24 16:55:56 UTC
"ears ago we had a card from someone whose name we didn't recognise.
We found out later who it was from, but we spent so long wondering
about it we decided the following year to 'make up' a couple and send
a card from them to some friends. They worked out who the card was
from and the following year we got a card from the same 'made up'
names. They took on a life of their own, we'd receive postcards saying
they were on holiday, on a cruise, had split up, etc. They have
survived about 25 years now."
It was a thread about Christmas cards people get with just a signature
and no address or postcode on them, and how to guess who they are
from, especially as one gets older.
I have often been tempted to send Christmas cards to random people
pulled out of the phone book and signed something like "Bob, Sue and the
kids" and leave them to wonder where the card came from.

A friend once held a party the day before my birthday. At midnight I was
presented with a card signed by everyone present. We never did work out
who one of the signatures was.
Ric
Mike
2019-12-24 17:00:16 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
The punch bowl maybe?
2019-12-27 12:20:54 UTC
"ears ago we had a card from someone whose name we didn't recognise.
We found out later who it was from, but we spent so long wondering
about it we decided the following year to 'make up' a couple and send
a card from them to some friends. They worked out who the card was
from and the following year we got a card from the same 'made up'
names. They took on a life of their own, we'd receive postcards saying
they were on holiday, on a cruise, had split up, etc. They have
survived about 25 years now."
It was a thread about Christmas cards people get with just a signature
and no address or postcode on them, and how to guess who they are
from, especially as one gets older.
Sometimes there's a useful clue in the card itself. Often, if feeling
particularly insecure or if it's going abroad, I put an address label on
the back. Also, since I always send ones I've designed myself, I rather
hope that people remember which Kate it is. We have a number of friends
called Jane, but only one of them designs *her* own cards :)

The oddest case we ever had, though, was on my husband's 90th birthday.
We got a very strange card. Nothing special about the card itself, which
was very generic, but both envelope and card were written in a weirdly
familiar yet indecipherable script. However, the number of the house and
the postcode were clear, so it was duly delivered. It took us ages and
much googling and wiki-ing to work out what the script was. We
researched Hebrew scripts and fantasy languages and hieroglyphs and
there was even an excursion into ancient Permian.... but it was the
suggestion of shorthand that finally led to the right source: it had
been written in George Bernard Shaw's reformed English script - and
indeed was signed as from George Bernard Shaw.

We never found out who sent it, it wasn't anyone we knew, as far as we
could ascertain. I suppose that there must be some outfit or person out
there that scans Who's Who for anyone reaching their 90th birthday, and
sends them one of these, but I've never been able to find out who it
might actually have been. Has anyone ever heard of this?
2019-12-24 18:12:09 UTC
"ears ago we had a card from someone whose name we didn't recognise.
We found out later who it was from, but we spent so long wondering
about it we decided the following year to 'make up' a couple and send
a card from them to some friends. They worked out who the card was
from and the following year we got a card from the same 'made up'
names. They took on a life of their own, we'd receive postcards saying
they were on holiday, on a cruise, had split up, etc. They have
survived about 25 years now."
Excellent!
Post by Vicky Ayech
It was a thread about Christmas cards people get with just a signature
and no address or postcode on them, and how to guess who they are
from, especially as one gets older.
There's the added need to give full details, as we all get older, that
even if the intended recipient would know exactly who you are, their
nearest and dearest may not. After my mother died (in November, twenty
years ago), one incentive for my brothers and I to make sure we let
everyone we could think of know what had happened, was the thought of
Christmas cards piling up for her. Despite our best efforts, three
cards got through.

Two were from near neighbours[1] who had managed to avoid hearing the
news and those were easily dealt with. The third was from someone none
of us had heard of before. Thankfully, there was a surname and address
on the back of the envelope, so I was able to write to them to tell them
about Mum's death. We never discovered who they were or how they knew
Mum though. I would have found it very upsetting if we hadn't been able
to make contact and would have hated the idea of cards arriving at the
house for the next few years, until the senders gave up.

[1] They'd been hand delivered, so we were pretty certain they must be
from locals and thought we knew who they must have been from. A close
neighbour, and friend, confirmed that we were right.
If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
conclusion. (George Bernard Shaw)
Penny
2019-12-25 09:27:39 UTC
On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 18:12:09 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
After my mother died (in November, twenty
years ago), one incentive for my brothers and I to make sure we let
everyone we could think of know what had happened, was the thought of
Christmas cards piling up for her. Despite our best efforts, three
cards got through.
I imagine that was helpful to you all.

My mother died in early December 1976 having already written all the
Christmas cards. My father didn't post them. I rather wish he had asked for
help with spreading the sad news - he already had all the addressed
envelopes. Consequently he continued to receive cards for a few years
addressed to them both.

I bought my current home in January, the previous owner had died in
December 13 months earlier. On our first and second Christmas here we
received a hand delivered card for the previous owner, I assume her son
could not work out who the card was from.