Tobes
2018-08-02 13:10:52 UTC
Tobes showing off to his dad. Reminds me of Tom’s empire.

2018-08-02 17:38:33 UTC
On Thu, 02 Aug 2018 13:10:52 GMT, Chris McMillan
Tobes showing off to his dad. Reminds me of Tom’s empire.
Sincerely Chris
I suppose we don't know how shakey the gin business is. We know the
pig one is pretty sound as Neil ran it and is supervising and we know
Rex is a steady worker, whereas Toby is not. He seems able to work
hard but not reliably. He does sound very like his dad. Bigs it up
and no substance. I am expecting dad's wine business to turn out iffy.
What will it be? Almost broke and needs sales? Rubbish wine? Dodgey?
Doesn't deliver after being paid?

I like AH so wanted him to be likeable :(
SODAM
2018-08-02 22:14:07 UTC
On Thu, 02 Aug 2018 13:10:52 GMT, Chris McMillan
Tobes showing off to his dad. Reminds me of Tom’s empire.
Sincerely Chris
I suppose we don't know how shakey the gin business is. We know the
pig one is pretty sound as Neil ran it and is supervising and we know
Rex is a steady worker, whereas Toby is not. He seems able to work
hard but not reliably. He does sound very like his dad. Bigs it up
and no substance. I am expecting dad's wine business to turn out iffy.
What will it be? Almost broke and needs sales? Rubbish wine? Dodgey?
Doesn't deliver after being paid?
I like AH so wanted him to be likeable :(
Sorry about that. He’s playing a mustachio-twirling villain under a thin
veneer of superficial bonhomie and charm. He is certainly the block that
produced the Toby chip.

One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Nick Odell
2018-08-02 22:51:49 UTC
On 02/08/18 23:14, SODAM wrote:
Can his gin business be
Post by SODAM
profitable if it is built on borrowed money?
There's an awful lot of FTSE100 executives all shouting "Yes!"

2018-08-07 13:52:15 UTC
Post by SODAM
Can his gin business be
Post by SODAM
profitable if it is built on borrowed money?
There's an awful lot of FTSE100 executives all shouting "Yes!"
Nick
About 110 of them at the last count (not that they can count).
2018-08-07 15:43:56 UTC
Post by SODAM
Can his gin business be
Post by SODAM
profitable if it is built on borrowed money?
There's an awful lot of FTSE100 executives all shouting "Yes!"
Nick
About 110 of them at the last count (not that they can count).
<grin> Nor can some of their accountants.
2018-08-07 15:49:18 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by krw
Post by SODAM
Can his gin business be
Post by SODAM
profitable if it is built on borrowed money?
There's an awful lot of FTSE100 executives all shouting "Yes!"
Nick
About 110 of them at the last count (not that they can count).
<grin> Nor can some of their accountants.
But they provide great advice on how to make things harder to count. And
how to hide the results of the counting.
2018-08-07 15:57:01 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Post by krw
Post by SODAM
Can his gin business be
Post by SODAM
profitable if it is built on borrowed money?
There's an awful lot of FTSE100 executives all shouting "Yes!"
Nick
About 110 of them at the last count (not that they can count).
<grin> Nor can some of their accountants.
But they provide great advice on how to make things harder to count. And
how to hide the results of the counting.
The definition of a consultant is: A person who requests to borrow your
watch so as to tell you the time.
2018-08-07 16:05:42 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by LFS
Post by krw
Post by SODAM
Can his gin business be
Post by SODAM
profitable if it is built on borrowed money?
There's an awful lot of FTSE100 executives all shouting "Yes!"
Nick
About 110 of them at the last count (not that they can count).
<grin> Nor can some of their accountants.
But they provide great advice on how to make things harder to count. And
how to hide the results of the counting.
The definition of a consultant is: A person who requests to borrow your
watch so as to tell you the time.
A moment of illumination.
Flop
2018-08-07 16:36:05 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by krw
Post by SODAM
Can his gin business be
Post by SODAM
profitable if it is built on borrowed money?
There's an awful lot of FTSE100 executives all shouting "Yes!"
Nick
About 110 of them at the last count (not that they can count).
<grin> Nor can some of their accountants.
Accountants are fine.

They are sufficiently professional that they can bury the money where
the auditors can't find it.

[In some cases the reverse is true. As in the high street stores and
construction companies, where there is no money but the auditors can
find it and declare the business to be well funded.
Until they become bankrupt.]
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
krw
2018-08-08 08:13:56 UTC
As in the high street stores and construction companies, where there is
no money but the auditors can find it and declare the business to be
well funded.
Until they become bankrupt
As an accountant I am so disappointed in my profession in recent years I
am not sure I want to be a member of the club any longer. No-one seems
to have taught this bunch any ethics. Or indeed that ethics exist. How
do you write a set of rules which portray businesses which fail as
profitable?

It is so disappointing.
2018-08-08 09:28:02 UTC
As in the high street stores and construction companies, where there is
no money but the auditors can find it and declare the business to be
well funded.
Until they become bankrupt
As an accountant I am so disappointed in my profession in recent years I
am not sure I want to be a member of the club any longer. No-one seems
to have taught this bunch any ethics. Or indeed that ethics exist. How
do you write a set of rules which portray businesses which fail as
profitable?
It is so disappointing.
Was it here I read of a client
asking their accountants what their accounts said about their business.
The answer? What do you want them to say?
2018-08-08 17:23:36 UTC
As in the high street stores and construction companies, where there is
no money but the auditors can find it and declare the business to be
well funded.
Until they become bankrupt
As an accountant I am so disappointed in my profession in recent years I
am not sure I want to be a member of the club any longer. No-one seems
to have taught this bunch any ethics. Or indeed that ethics exist. How
do you write a set of rules which portray businesses which fail as
profitable?
It is so disappointing.
I gave up my membership years ago. We've had a similar discussion in
the office regarding ethics of the companies that audit local
authorities. Given how spectacularly skint Northamptonshire are, it's
only now that KPMG no longer have the contract that they've issued a
report saying that there were no adequate controls and everything was
a steaming pile of poo.
2018-08-03 05:21:16 UTC
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
Fred

SODAM
2018-08-03 07:02:21 UTC
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
BTN!!
Fred
Seconded. (Tee hee)
Mike
2018-08-03 08:05:38 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
BTN!!
Fred
Seconded. (Tee hee)
It’s all in the mind of course, (please excuse me whilst I adjust my
garter) but yes, thirded.
2018-08-03 08:30:31 UTC
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
BTN!!
Accepted! Your first, I think, Fred.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Sid Nuncius
2018-08-03 09:22:30 UTC
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
BTN!!
Accepted!  Your first, I think, Fred.
I am most gratified - and also a little surprised. I thought that it
was probably MV.
2018-08-04 10:40:25 UTC
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
BTN!!
Accepted!  Your first, I think, Fred.
I am most gratified - and also a little surprised. I thought that it
was probably MV.
So did I.
Oooh! The BTM is at variance with the BTA Chief of Staff!
2018-08-04 12:18:53 UTC
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
BTN!!
Accepted!  Your first, I think, Fred.
I am most gratified - and also a little surprised. I thought that it
was probably MV.
So did I.
Oooh! The BTM is at variance with the BTA Chief of Staff!
Which one will tweet that the other has their complete support first?

2018-08-06 09:46:09 UTC
Oooh! The BTM is at variance with the BTA Chief of Staff!
Which one will tweet that the other has their complete support first?
john
Which mostly-retired UMRA official is going to come forward and ask for
someone's resignation, over the antiTobyism matter?

"The wish of the lazy to allow unsupervised access [to the internet] to their
children should not reduce all adults browsing to the level of suitability for
five-year-old." Yaman Akdeniz, quoted in Inter//face (The Times, 1999-2-10):
p12
Btms
2018-08-06 10:43:37 UTC
Oooh! The BTM is at variance with the BTA Chief of Staff!
Which one will tweet that the other has their complete support first?
john
Which mostly-retired UMRA official is going to come forward and ask for
someone's resignation, over the antiTobyism matter?
This could be difficult. The LSS only has self appointed, self deluded
over assertive candidates. I can’t think of anyone atm. Suggestions?
SODAM
2018-08-04 17:46:57 UTC
Oooh! The BTM is at variance with the BTA Chief of Staff!
You missed out the all-important words “self appointed” from the title BTA
Chief of Staff. So believe that such titles have less force than elected or
appointed posts.
SODAM
2018-08-04 17:50:40 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Mike
Oooh! The BTM is at variance with the BTA Chief of Staff!
You missed out the all-important words “self appointed” from the title BTA
Chief of Staff. So believe that such titles have less force than elected or
appointed posts.
I wrote ‘Ai’, not ‘so’. One does not normally begin a sentence with a
conjunction but my mail program did not know that.
Btms
2018-08-04 22:02:18 UTC
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
BTN!!
Accepted!  Your first, I think, Fred.
I am most gratified - and also a little surprised. I thought that it
was probably MV.
So did I.
Oooh! The BTM is at variance with the BTA Chief of Staff!
Differently correct, ITYM.
BTN Honestly, Sid! Poor girl has just had a baby.
Sid Nuncius
2018-08-03 09:20:30 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by SODAM
One of the many things that annoy me about Toby is that he still owes Pip
£4K and never mentions a plan for paying it back. Can his gin business be
profitable if it is built on borrowed money? Could Pip repossess it if he
doesn’t stump up?
AIUI, he was satisfactorily servicing his loan nine months ago but Pip
will now be unwilling to give relief or other easements.
BTN Honestly, Sid! Poor girl has just had a baby.
Which is, as Sodders says, the result of Toby stumping up nine months
ago. (An unnecessarily graphic and crude phrase for it, in my view, but
that's just what she's like.)
2018-08-03 08:51:47 UTC
[...]
And Dad doesn't know, even after last night, that Toby is not really
one of the family. Although #1 daughter's son's dad has been her ex
for 10 years now and is still very much one of the family.
Sally Thompson
2018-08-03 20:19:55 UTC
[...]
You've lost me here Vicky. Who is #1 daughter?
2018-08-03 21:10:39 UTC
On 3 Aug 2018 20:19:55 GMT, Sally Thompson
[...]
Sorry. My older daughter had a partner and they have a son, now aged
12. She moved out with her son when he was age 2 but mum and dad
share his care, half a week each and standing in for each other if
needed, as Capt Ex and I do when we are collecting grandson's sister
from nursery now, and did for grandson.

This sister is a half sister, by a different dad. But grandson's dad
is very much still part of the family and Capt Ex, #2 daughter and I
are very fond of him. I was comparing situations, thinking if Toby
behaves well he could still be a part of the Archers family in the
years to come, even if not Pip's partner.
Sally Thompson
2018-08-03 22:58:34 UTC
[...]
Oooooh! Penny drops. Coming straight after the comment about Toby I thought
you were still talking about the Fairbrothers and that Robin had a daughter
too.
2018-08-03 20:12:08 UTC
Sorry about that. He’s playing a mustachio-twirling villain under a thin
veneer of superficial bonhomie and charm. He is certainly the block that
produced the Toby chip.
Has anyone yet predicted that Mr F will buy the Home Farm house and
move in to take Brian's place as mustachio-twirling local bigwig,
giving Rex and Toby a long term home in the village? If not, I will
so OP.

Not that I've heard any of it, apart from his painful arrival late at
Brookfield last weekend.
2018-08-05 13:01:58 UTC
Post by Fenny
Sorry about that. He’s playing a mustachio-twirling villain under a thin
veneer of superficial bonhomie and charm. He is certainly the block that
produced the Toby chip.
Has anyone yet predicted that Mr F will buy the Home Farm house and
move in to take Brian's place as mustachio-twirling local bigwig,
giving Rex and Toby a long term home in the village? If not, I will
so OP.
Not that I've heard any of it, apart from his painful arrival late at
Brookfield last weekend.
We hadn’t. OP it, Fenny.

2018-08-05 13:01:58 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Good point, SODAM. Suspect Fairbrother snr will pay it off now he’s seen
how ‘well’ Tobes is doing.

2018-08-05 17:42:45 UTC
On Sun, 05 Aug 2018 13:01:58 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I don't think he has the money. He sounded desperate to sell some
wines to someone.
Chris McMillan
2018-08-06 18:15:38 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Nah, just wants to show off his riches to his new buddies

Fenny OP: If not Home Farm, buy Gay Grables?

2018-08-07 15:54:32 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Most businesses are, but most lenders would expect sensible repayment
terms and, as I think you're suggesting, the repayments would indeed
affect the business profits.

Could Pip repossess it if he
Post by SODAM
doesn’t stump up?
I was under the impression that she just handed over the cash with no
mention of repayment terms. But it would be foolish to expect his
"business" to bear any resemblance to normal business practice, nothing
in Ambridge does.

I do sometimes wonder how far the influence of soaps is responsible for
the high failure of new small businesses. The actual running of such a
business is never portrayed unless for dramatic effect (see Elizabeth's
sudden problem at Lower Loxley). No one ever consults an accountant,
keeps books or pays tax, as far as we know, and businesses are set up at
the drop of a hat by people with no prior experience who seem to manage
them alone. Anyone listening to TA or watching TV soaps could easily be
misled into thinking it's all a doddle if you have a bit of cash to get
going.
2018-08-08 08:17:24 UTC
the repayments would indeed affect the business profits.
Groans. Loans and repayment of them impact the balance sheet.

Profits are struck based on trading and generate the cash to repay the
loans.

Reducing loans require cash on the balance sheet and at the moment
surplus cash either pays Toby and his assistant or gets ploughed into
new stock.
2018-08-05 13:13:34 UTC
I like AH so wanted him to be likeable
The script he was given was execrable. He claimed to know both Brian
and David. Utter nonsense as he was never able to go to Brookfield (we
know he never spoke). You do not walk into a farmhouse kitchen if you
are a Dordogne owning wine trader and offer the owner a case of wine as
being up his boulevard.

I really think whoever was writing was starstruck by knowing it was to
be Mr Head (whose daughter appears to be dead in Emmerdale).
2018-08-05 14:42:07 UTC
I like AH so wanted him to be likeable
The script he was given was execrable.  He claimed to know both Brian
and David.  Utter nonsense as he was never able to go to Brookfield (we
know he never spoke).  You do not walk into a farmhouse kitchen if you
are a Dordogne owning wine trader and offer the owner a case of wine as
being up his boulevard.
I really think whoever was writing was starstruck by knowing it was to
be Mr Head (whose daughter appears to be dead in Emmerdale).
Exactly! And I do hope Fenny's suggestion that he buys Home Farm is not
taken up.
2018-08-05 14:54:34 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky Ayech
I like AH so wanted him to be likeable
The script he was given was execrable.  He claimed to know both Brian
and David.  Utter nonsense as he was never able to go to Brookfield (we
know he never spoke).  You do not walk into a farmhouse kitchen if you
are a Dordogne owning wine trader and offer the owner a case of wine as
being up his boulevard.
I really think whoever was writing was starstruck by knowing it was to
be Mr Head (whose daughter appears to be dead in Emmerdale).
Exactly! And I do hope Fenny's suggestion that he buys Home Farm is not
taken up.
But if he is a bit of a fraud, he might say lots of naff things 🧐
2018-08-07 13:57:24 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky Ayech
I like AH so wanted him to be likeable
The script he was given was execrable.  He claimed to know both Brian
and David.  Utter nonsense as he was never able to go to Brookfield (we
know he never spoke).  You do not walk into a farmhouse kitchen if you
are a Dordogne owning wine trader and offer the owner a case of wine as
being up his boulevard.
I really think whoever was writing was starstruck by knowing it was to
be Mr Head (whose daughter appears to be dead in Emmerdale).
Exactly! And I do hope Fenny's suggestion that he buys Home Farm is not
taken up.
But if he is a bit of a fraud, he might say lots of naff things 🧐
Fraudsters tend to be particularly careful so that their lies cannot be
exposed.

And I can report his daughter has been chained up and has been abandoned
for 4 days with no food or water and apparently she has never learnt to
pick a lock.
2018-08-07 15:01:38 UTC
Fraudsters tend to be particularly careful so that their lies cannot be
exposed.
The good ones are but round these parts folk are not convinced by him.
.
Chris McMillan
2018-08-05 15:27:27 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky Ayech
I like AH so wanted him to be likeable
The script he was given was execrable.  He claimed to know both Brian
and David.  Utter nonsense as he was never able to go to Brookfield (we
know he never spoke).  You do not walk into a farmhouse kitchen if you
are a Dordogne owning wine trader and offer the owner a case of wine as
being up his boulevard.
I really think whoever was writing was starstruck by knowing it was to
be Mr Head (whose daughter appears to be dead in Emmerdale).
Exactly! And I do hope Fenny's suggestion that he buys Home Farm is not
taken up.
It’ll be with hilarious (not) circumstances

Sincerely Chris
RC Mitchell
2018-08-08 22:28:48 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Tobes showing off to his dad. Reminds me of Tom’s empire.
Sincerely Chris
I suppose we don't know how shakey the gin business is.
It shouldn't be shakey at all. It should be shtirred.

RnT
BrritSki