spoiler: Olwyn, 15.5.18
2018-05-15 18:13:52 UTC
Well done that Olwyn!

2018-05-15 18:34:07 UTC
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!

Do you think it got through though?

By the very definition of "news," we hear very little about the dominant
threats to our lives, and the most about the rarest, including terror.
"LibertyMcG" alias Brian P. McGlinchey, 2013-7-23
Btms
2018-05-15 19:36:03 UTC
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
Ooooh! Must listen.
2018-05-15 19:51:38 UTC
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
2018-05-15 22:03:03 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
Helen will go and find her and get both parties to understand the other
- and what has happened to Kaz?
2018-05-15 22:28:42 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
Helen will go and find her and get both parties to understand the other
- and what has happened to Kaz?
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken
the hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
2018-05-15 23:46:18 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting
would they?
Helen will go and find her and get both parties to understand the other
- and what has happened to Kaz?
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken the
hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
Also, paradoxically, <languid wave>

They're equally as self-centred as a gyroscope.
2018-05-16 07:41:54 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting
would they?
Helen will go and find her and get both parties to understand the other
- and what has happened to Kaz?
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken the
hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
Also, paradoxically, <languid wave>
They're equally as self-centred as a gyroscope.
Oooh! Are they both spin-doctors?
2018-05-16 08:17:56 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting
would they?
Helen will go and find her and get both parties to understand the other
- and what has happened to Kaz?
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken the
hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
Also, paradoxically, <languid wave>
They're equally as self-centred as a gyroscope.
Oooh! Are they both spin-doctors?
I just listened again.
"She can refuse help, but not to the point where I allow her to refuse
what's good for her".. That was very bad and would Pat really say it?
Is she having some kind of crisis. Pat has had mental health problems,
hasn't she? Was it after John died? Maybe Pat is in some way equating
Olwen's not coping now and sel-destructive behaviour with her own
episode. It could be upsetting her as this is not some uneducated and
unlike her woman who is now homeless but someone who could easily be
herself.
2018-05-16 09:28:07 UTC
Post by Vicky
I just listened again.
"She can refuse help, but not to the point where I allow her to refuse
what's good for her".. That was very bad and would Pat really say it?
If she didn't say it, she would clearly think it. She has little insight
into others or herself.
Post by Vicky
Is she having some kind of crisis. Pat has had mental health problems,
hasn't she? Was it after John died? Maybe Pat is in some way equating
Olwen's not coping now and sel-destructive behaviour with her own
episode. It could be upsetting her as this is not some uneducated and
unlike her woman who is now homeless but someone who could easily be
herself.
Probably but this does not lead me to sympathise with her. The staff at
the drop in centre know that she is looking for Olwen, I would have
expected that someone might suggest to Pat that this isn't necessarily a
good idea and that her duties relate to cooking rather than social work
for which she is not trained.
2018-05-16 10:06:54 UTC
Post by LFS
Probably but this does not lead me to sympathise with her. The staff at
the drop in centre know that she is looking for Olwen, I would have
expected that someone might suggest to Pat that this isn't necessarily a
good idea and that her duties relate to cooking rather than social work
for which she is not trained.
I would have thought these days that the centre would have some pretty
strong safeguarding guidelines to ensure that staff do not abuse or take
advantage of the drop-er inerers?
2018-05-16 10:07:30 UTC
Post by Vicky
Is she having some kind of crisis. Pat has had mental health problems,
hasn't she? Was it after John died? Maybe Pat is in some way equating
Olwen's not coping now and sel-destructive behaviour with her own
episode.  It could be upsetting her as this is not some uneducated and
unlike her woman who is now homeless but someone who could easily be
herself.
Probably but this does not lead me to sympathise with her. The staff at
the drop in centre know that she is looking for Olwen, I would have
expected that someone might suggest to Pat that this isn't necessarily a
good idea and that her duties relate to cooking rather than social work
for which she is not trained.
Agreed. It would also have been incredibly bad practice (and pretty
improbable) for the drop in centre to tell Pat either that Olwen had
reappeared or to suggest where Pat might find her. It was a huge
invasion of Olwen's privacy.
Save the Earth - It's our only source of chocolate
Serena Blanchflower
2018-05-16 10:10:34 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by Jim Easterbrook
[...]
I suspect that that last point is a large part of the problem - for both
of them. I can quite see how it might be particularly difficult for
Olwen to accept help from Pat, given their previous acquaintance [1].
Much easier to accept help from a stranger, as there are fewer strings
attached and no demands for gratitude.

[1] I'm not sure that they were ever friends, as such.
"No one can defeat us unless we first defeat ourselves." - Dwight D.
Eisenhower
the Omrud
2018-05-16 08:05:27 UTC
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
Helen will go and find her and get both parties to understand the other
- and what has happened to Kaz?
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken
the hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
Olwyn doesn't want to be liked, so that's OK.

From my PoV she has been reasonably polite in the face of Pat trying to
mould her life into one which Pat herself would be able to tolerate.
It's only when politeness failed that she had to become more forceful.

No means no.
--
David

---
2018-05-16 09:22:54 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
Helen will go and find her and get both parties to understand the other
- and what has happened to Kaz?
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken
the hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
Olwyn doesn't want to be liked, so that's OK.
From my PoV she has been reasonably polite in the face of Pat trying to
mould her life into one which Pat herself would be able to tolerate.
It's only when politeness failed that she had to become more forceful.
No means no.
I agree. I think Pat is the type of intrusive volunteer do-gooder who
does more harm than good.

And I've only just discovered who Olwen's close friend is.
2018-05-16 10:56:26 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by the Omrud
Post by Vicky
Post by krw
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
Helen will go and find her and get both parties to understand the other
- and what has happened to Kaz?
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken
the hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
Olwyn doesn't want to be liked, so that's OK.
 From my PoV she has been reasonably polite in the face of Pat trying
to mould her life into one which Pat herself would be able to
tolerate. It's only when politeness failed that she had to become more
forceful.
No means no.
I agree. I think Pat is the type of intrusive volunteer do-gooder who
does more harm than good.
And I've only just discovered who Olwen's close friend is.
There was a story about how the Vicar of Ambridge (Alan?) befriended a
young man on the streets who took heroin but I can't remember if it was
Ambridge Extra. This young man didn't believe he was addicted to heroin,
he said that heroin was his friend because it helped him escape. Should
Alan have tried to 'rescue' this man from his drug-dependence?
the Omrud
2018-05-16 15:13:27 UTC
Post by LFS
And I've only just discovered who Olwen's close friend is.
The part clearly calls for Proper Acting.
--
David

---
SODAM
2018-05-16 18:09:52 UTC
Vicky <***@gmail.com> wrote:

<Snip>
Post by Vicky
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken
the hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
It’s a stupid storyline. No-one would persist in chasing after someone who
couldn’t have made it clearer they are uninterested in being friends. Olwen
would be a terrible friend anyway - no boundaries and no manners.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-05-16 18:32:16 UTC
In message
Post by SODAM
<Snip>
Post by Vicky
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken
the hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
It’s a stupid storyline. No-one would persist in chasing after someone who
couldn’t have made it clearer they are uninterested in being friends. Olwen
would be a terrible friend anyway - no boundaries and no manners.
Maybe Pat thinks she herself was like that once, and admires Olwen for
having stuck to it or feels ashamed for not having done so herself, or
both - without thinking of the fact that it's not actually a very nice
person to be.

Quantity is no substitute for quality, but it's the only one we've got.
Btms
2018-05-16 18:55:52 UTC
In message
Post by SODAM
<Snip>
Post by Vicky
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken
the hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
It’s a stupid storyline. No-one would persist in chasing after someone who
couldn’t have made it clearer they are uninterested in being friends. Olwen
would be a terrible friend anyway - no boundaries and no manners.
Maybe Pat thinks she herself was like that once, and admires Olwen for
having stuck to it or feels ashamed for not having done so herself, or
both - without thinking of the fact that it's not actually a very nice
person to be.
She met Rob! Surely she has has had her eyes widened a little. Different
scenarios but she should question herself a little more.
2018-05-16 18:55:52 UTC
Post by SODAM
<Snip>
Post by Vicky
I think Olwen is horrible and ungrateful, but Pat should have taken
the hint and not gone after her. I don't like either of them.
It’s a stupid storyline. No-one would persist in chasing after someone who
couldn’t have made it clearer they are uninterested in being friends. Olwen
would be a terrible friend anyway - no boundaries and no manners.
Especially no manners. I think the storyline would work if it had been
written less two dimensionally. It should have more dramatic irony.
2018-05-16 07:40:19 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
She has already denied even finding her to Hell-bent, so that indicates a
state of denial in my book.
2018-05-16 11:29:06 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
She has already denied even finding her to Hell-bent, so that indicates a
state of denial in my book.
I wondered (hoped) if that might be the beginning - for the moment,
anyway - of Pat washing her hands of Olwyn.

But I suspect not, given the prominence of Olwyn's best friend. Unless
your name is A. Hitchcock, you don't bring in a Big Name only to kill
them off in the first reel.

A. Top-posters.
Q. What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?
Nick Odell
2018-05-16 21:25:36 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
She has already denied even finding her to Hell-bent, so that indicates a
state of denial in my book.
I wondered (hoped) if that might be the beginning - for the moment,
anyway - of Pat washing her hands of Olwyn.
But I suspect not, given the prominence of Olwyn's best friend. Unless
your name is A. Hitchcock, you don't bring in a Big Name only to kill
them off in the first reel.
...or Francis Durbridge, The Scarf. (IIRC)?

or Troy Kennedy Martin, Edge of Darkness?

2018-05-16 22:05:21 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
She has already denied even finding her to Hell-bent, so that indicates a
state of denial in my book.
I wondered (hoped) if that might be the beginning - for the moment,
anyway - of Pat washing her hands of Olwyn.
But I suspect not, given the prominence of Olwyn's best friend. Unless
your name is A. Hitchcock, you don't bring in a Big Name only to kill
them off in the first reel.
And I think someone in the production team has been learning how rescuers
end up a victims.its like an epidemic in Ambridge atm.
2018-05-16 22:35:21 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
She has already denied even finding her to Hell-bent, so that indicates a
state of denial in my book.
I wondered (hoped) if that might be the beginning - for the moment,
anyway - of Pat washing her hands of Olwyn.
But I suspect not, given the prominence of Olwyn's best friend. Unless
your name is A. Hitchcock, you don't bring in a Big Name only to kill
them off in the first reel.
...or Francis Durbridge, The Scarf. (IIRC)?
or Troy Kennedy Martin, Edge of Darkness?
I can't remember who was the actress who appeared at the beginning of
"The Scarf" but we, the audience, assumed she was going to be in it for
the series. How wrong we were. But that was typical of Durbridge. And I
can't remember whether Joanna Whalley had had other successes before
Edge of Darkness but whether she Pottered before or after EoD, she
certainly became a big screen name later.

2018-05-17 05:44:25 UTC
I can't remember who was the actress who appeared at the beginning of
"The Scarf" but we, the audience, assumed she was going to be in it for
the series. How wrong we were. But that was typical of Durbridge. And I
can't remember whether Joanna Whalley had had other successes before
Edge of Darkness but whether she Pottered before or after EoD, she
certainly became a big screen name later.
Joanne Whalley was in EoD in 1985 and greased Michael Gambon in 1986.
According to IMDB she was in 5 of the 6 episodes of EoD, but seems to
have left no impression on me from them, which is extraordinary, given
that I thought she was absolutely stunning in TSD. That was the first
time I noticed her and I suspect was her big breakthrough. BIMBAM.
2018-05-17 06:06:06 UTC
Joanne Whalley was in EoD in 1985 and greased Michael Gambon in 1986.
According to IMDB she was in 5 of the 6 episodes of EoD, but seems to
have left no impression on me from them, which is extraordinary, given
that I thought she was absolutely stunning in TSD. That was the first
time I noticed her and I suspect was her big breakthrough. BIMBAM.
<languid wave> to all that.
2018-05-17 09:55:18 UTC
That was the first time I noticed her and I suspect was her big
breakthrough.  BIMBAM.
Stunning in "A Kind of Loving" in 1982 which was earlier still. But
then I am old.
2018-05-17 10:19:35 UTC
I can't remember who was the actress who appeared at the beginning of
"The Scarf" but we, the audience, assumed she was going to be in it
for the series. How wrong we were. But that was typical of Durbridge.
And I can't remember whether Joanna Whalley had had other successes
before Edge of Darkness but whether she Pottered before or after EoD,
she certainly became a big screen name later.
Joanne Whalley was in EoD in 1985 and greased Michael Gambon in 1986.
According to IMDB she was in 5 of the 6 episodes of EoD, but seems to
have left no impression on me from them, which is extraordinary, given
that I thought she was absolutely stunning in TSD.  That was the first
time I noticed her and I suspect was her big breakthrough.  BIMBAM.
Line of Duty killed off a biggish name in an early episode - Daniel
Mays? But he kept popping up in flashbacks, which presumably justified
the expense.

In the general run of whodunnits you look for the biggest guest star,
who nearly always turns out to have dunnit.
the Omrud
2018-05-17 16:06:34 UTC
Post by Kate B
In the general run of whodunnits you look for the biggest guest star,
who nearly always turns out to have dunnit.
Nearly always works for Death In Paradise, but we often fail to spot the
biggest guest star because we've never heard of them.
David
Nick Odell
2018-05-22 19:40:27 UTC
I can't remember who was the actress who appeared at the beginning of
"The Scarf" but we, the audience, assumed she was going to be in it
for the series. How wrong we were. But that was typical of Durbridge.
And I can't remember whether Joanna Whalley had had other successes
before Edge of Darkness but whether she Pottered before or after EoD,
she certainly became a big screen name later.
Joanne Whalley was in EoD in 1985 and greased Michael Gambon in 1986.
According to IMDB she was in 5 of the 6 episodes of EoD, but seems to
have left no impression on me from them, which is extraordinary, given
that I thought she was absolutely stunning in TSD.  That was the first
time I noticed her and I suspect was her big breakthrough.  BIMBAM.
In case anybody is interested, the whole Edge of Darkness BBC serial is
available to watch, free, over on dailymotion.com Don't expect 4K
images or stereo sound, will you? Just open the search box, type in Edge
of Darkness, ignore the references to Mel Gibson and Bob's your.. erme..

Peck????

2018-05-17 00:09:53 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
She has already denied even finding her to Hell-bent, so that indicates a
state of denial in my book.
I wondered (hoped) if that might be the beginning - for the moment,
anyway - of Pat washing her hands of Olwyn.
But I suspect not, given the prominence of Olwyn's best friend. Unless
your name is A. Hitchcock, you don't bring in a Big Name only to kill
them off in the first reel.
...or Francis Durbridge, The Scarf. (IIRC)?
or Troy Kennedy Martin, Edge of Darkness?
Nice pair of Nick Nicks.
2018-05-17 13:19:50 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
No. Pat will report it as "she's completely raving and really needs my
help". After all, no sane person would accuse Pat of poor parenting would
they?
She has already denied even finding her to Hell-bent, so that indicates a
state of denial in my book.
I wondered (hoped) if that might be the beginning - for the moment,
anyway - of Pat washing her hands of Olwyn.
But I suspect not, given the prominence of Olwyn's best friend. Unless
your name is A. Hitchcock, you don't bring in a Big Name only to kill
them off in the first reel.
...or Francis Durbridge, The Scarf. (IIRC)?
or Troy Kennedy Martin, Edge of Darkness?
Nice pair of Nick Nicks.
.... but quite brief.
2018-05-16 10:03:41 UTC
Well done that Olwyn!
Sincerely Chris
+1!
Do you think it got through though?
Of course not. She didn’t repeat it to anyone - yet