COVID contact tracking
2020-05-04 12:03:35 UTC
https://contacttracing.mobi/download

We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one too
when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do with
it ? Serve ads ? Already got ad-blockers everywhere.

Anyway, worth it if it gets us out of lockdown earlier...
Chris J Dixon
2020-05-04 13:41:26 UTC
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one too
when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do with
it ? Serve ads ? Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Anyway, worth it if it gets us out of lockdown earlier...
As I am on PAYG, I am interested to know if these apps will use
data, and therefore cost me a small, but finite, amount?

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-05-04 13:58:22 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one too
when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do with
it ? Serve ads ? Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Anyway, worth it if it gets us out of lockdown earlier...
As I am on PAYG, I am interested to know if these apps will use
data, and therefore cost me a small, but finite, amount?
MTAAW. Also, as I understand it they use Bluetooth to seek out nearby
phones. Having Bluetooth on all the time won't do much for battery life.
2020-05-04 14:23:23 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one too
when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do with
it ? Serve ads ? Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Anyway, worth it if it gets us out of lockdown earlier...
As I am on PAYG, I am interested to know if these apps will use
data, and therefore cost me a small, but finite, amount?
MTAAW. Also, as I understand it they use Bluetooth to seek out nearby
phones. Having Bluetooth on all the time won't do much for battery life.
I have mine on all the time anyway. My phone has gone from 64% at 8 this
morning down to 45% now, which I guess is a bit more than normal.

I normally put my phone on a wireless charger stand but forgot last
night. Tomorrow I'll see what happens when I start with 100%...

There as something about Bluetooth on Toady this morning which I didn;t
catch fully but seemed to suggest there were some mods to BT to reduce
power usage.
BrritSki
2020-05-04 14:38:42 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by BrritSki
[...]
PS Jim - this software is open source and available on GIThub, so maybe
you can check it out for us ;)
John Ashby
2020-05-04 17:19:44 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by BrritSki
[...]
The Google/Apple app uses modifications to the OS which reduce the
battery usage of Bluetooth (though if they can do that now for this app,
why not before? Perhaps it's to do with range.) and to continue to
function when the phone sleeps. The NHSx app is presumed not to have
access to such low level modifications and will therefore use Bluetooth
at the normal rate and may require the phone to be always on and awake.

2020-05-04 18:56:00 UTC
I normally put my phone on a wireless charger stand but forgot last
night. Tomorrow I'll see what happens when I start with 100%...
There as something about Bluetooth on Toady this morning which I
didn;t catch fully but seemed to suggest there were some mods to BT
to reduce power usage.
The Google/Apple app uses modifications to the OS which reduce the
battery usage of Bluetooth (though if they can do that now for this
app, why not before? Perhaps it's to do with range.) and to continue to
Or conversation. When I half-heard something on the news to the effect
that it was doing something to reduce BlueTooth's battery usage, I at
first thought maybe it's receive only: then I realised that wouldn't
work! But maybe all it's doing is just the ID broadcast, the equivalent
of occasionally saying "Fred here", but not doing the interaction that
Bluetooth would normally do (the "'ullo Fred, how ya doin?" bit).

(I don't _think_ it'll be range: I don't think BT is much over 2m
anyway. Might be ~4m, but I suspect most 'phones don't have variable
power on BT anyway. BICBAM; it's a long time since I looked at the
spec..)

At the age of 7, Julia Elizabeth Wells could sing notes only dogs could hear.
Kate B
2020-05-05 09:29:01 UTC
(I don't _think_ it'll be range: I don't think BT is much over 2m
anyway. Might be ~4m, but I suspect most 'phones don't have variable
power on BT anyway. BICBAM; it's a long time since I looked at the spec..)
I didn't think it was much over 2m either, but I have a Bluetooth
speaker in the kitchen and we stream the Today programme to it from my
phone over breakfast (as long as I am up before 9am this works very well
:) ). Sometimes I forget to switch the speaker off when I go back
upstairs to my desk, only to find that phone calls are sounding loud and
clear at least 4m and two solid structural walls away.

That being said, the phone holds a charge for at least two days,
usually, especially these confined days. Samsung S8.
BT range is now 10M under normal conditions.
Chris B
2020-05-05 11:01:29 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(I don't _think_ it'll be range: I don't think BT is much over 2m
anyway. Might be ~4m, but I suspect most 'phones don't have variable
power on BT anyway. BICBAM; it's a long time since I looked at the spec..)
I didn't think it was much over 2m either, but I have a Bluetooth
speaker in the kitchen and we stream the Today programme to it from my
phone over breakfast (as long as I am up before 9am this works very
well :) ). Sometimes I forget to switch the speaker off when I go back
upstairs to my desk, only to find that phone calls are sounding loud
and clear at least 4m and two solid structural walls away.
That being said, the phone holds a charge for at least two days,
usually, especially these confined days. Samsung S8.
BT range is now 10M under normal conditions.
I believe both the NHS and the Apple/Google app are using the strength
of the BT signal as a proxy for distance in an attempt to get a better
estimate of "close" contact.
Chris B (News)
Mike
2020-05-05 12:34:00 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by BrritSki
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
‘I’m a blue Bluetooth, you’re a pink Bluetooth and we met at the bathroom
door...’

Oh err... sorry, I don’t know what came over me then.
Indeed, using the phone model to indicate what the expected range is.
BrritSki
2020-05-05 12:49:04 UTC
Post by Chris B
Post by BrritSki
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
Good discussion of the system here:
<https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/blog-post/security-behind-nhs-contact-tracing-app>
Mike
2020-05-04 14:36:02 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one too
when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do with
it ? Serve ads ? Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Anyway, worth it if it gets us out of lockdown earlier...
As I am on PAYG, I am interested to know if these apps will use
data, and therefore cost me a small, but finite, amount?
MTAAW. Also, as I understand it they use Bluetooth to seek out nearby
phones. Having Bluetooth on all the time won't do much for battery life.
My first iPhone (a 6 ISTR) eat battery power if bluetooth was turned on;
this doesn’t seem to be such a problem with iPhone 8+ I now use. Bluetooth
is ‘always on’ and usually gives me 2-3 days on a charge.
2020-05-07 18:17:30 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one too
when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do with
it ? Serve ads ? Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Anyway, worth it if it gets us out of lockdown earlier...
As I am on PAYG, I am interested to know if these apps will use
data, and therefore cost me a small, but finite, amount?
MTAAW. Also, as I understand it they use Bluetooth to seek out nearby
phones. Having Bluetooth on all the time won't do much for battery life.
My first iPhone (a 6 ISTR) eat battery power if bluetooth was turned on;
this doesn’t seem to be such a problem with iPhone 8+ I now use. Bluetooth
is ‘always on’ and usually gives me 2-3 days on a charge.
But mine being the junior needs charging every day, or I use it more, is
more likely

2020-05-04 14:19:31 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one too
when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do with
it ? Serve ads ? Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Anyway, worth it if it gets us out of lockdown earlier...
As I am on PAYG, I am interested to know if these apps will use
data, and therefore cost me a small, but finite, amount?
Hasn;t used any mobile data since I installed it this morning, but then
again I haven;t been out today :/

I wouldn;t expect this app to use much data as it is supposedly
Decentralised Privacy-Preserving Proximity Tracing, and works locally by
bluetooth but I suppose if I do get it and it needs to contact my
contacts there would be some cost at the point. I doubt if I'd care much
at that point though :)

The UK app with a centralised data collection point may differ though...
Joe Kerr
2020-05-04 14:50:19 UTC
[...]
I would expect it to have a preference for using wifi, if available, for
shunting any data about.
Ric
John Ashby
2020-05-04 13:50:25 UTC
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one too
when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do with
it ?  Serve ads ?  Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Quite.If you've got nothing to hide, you aren't leading an interesting
enough life.

2020-05-04 14:24:57 UTC
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one
too when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do
with it ?  Serve ads ?  Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Quite. If you've got nothing to hide, you aren't leading an interesting
enough life.
How true :) I've never thought it much of an argument for
authoritarian measures, but as I said before, I think the upsides are
worth the potential downsides for now.
Sid Nuncius
2020-05-04 16:06:46 UTC
https://contacttracing.mobi/download
We're both on this COVID tracking app and will sign up to Gov't one
too when it's out. Not worried about privacy - what are they gonna do
with it ?  Serve ads ?  Already got ad-blockers everywhere.
Quite.If you've got nothing to hide, you aren't leading an interesting
enough life.
Ha. Mine would show me almost never going out, but moving around the
flat trying to get away from the worst of the thunderous smashing on the
ceiling as the people[1] upstairs do hours of martial arts training all
day and evening.

[1]"People" is not the exact term we apply to them. There is no
soundproofing whatsoever, just a laminate floor laid on floorboards on
top of Victorian wooden joists. The continuous noise is frightful; our
windows, doors and pictures rattle, as do the pipes between their floor
and our ceiling and the impacts are just shattering. I have contacted
them politely about it and they have told me to - and I quote verbatim -
"Shut up." I do not know how we will survive this if it carries on for
months, as it probably will.
2020-05-04 23:32:05 UTC
On Mon, 4 May 2020 17:06:46 +0100, Sid Nuncius
[...]
Do they ever sleep?

Is that not the exact time you like to listen to Wagner through your
upward-facing, screwed-to-the-ceiling loudspeakers fed from your
40,000kw stadium-filling slave amp?

Nick
Joe Kerr
2020-05-04 21:15:13 UTC
[...]
That is exactly what I was thinking, only you phrased it better.
Ric
Kate B
2020-05-05 09:30:35 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I find Verdi's Dies Irae often does the trick.
2020-05-05 19:39:19 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
That is the difference between you and me, Kate. We both might think
of double orchestras but I go for loud, raucous and lots of brass and
you go for the divine.

2020-05-05 18:39:31 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Why not combine the two with Bruckner's Te Deum? Full orchestra, organ
choir and two brass bands. The sound from the loudest section set off
the fire alarms in the Sheldonian Theatre when I performed in it.

2020-05-05 20:06:42 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Merely the Wrath of God.
Post by John Ashby
Why not combine the two with Bruckner's Te Deum? Full orchestra, organ
choir and two brass bands. The sound from the loudest section set off
the fire alarms in the Sheldonian Theatre when I performed in it.
Oh fabulous!
2020-05-05 20:12:51 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by John Ashby
Why not combine the two with Bruckner's Te Deum? Full orchestra, organ
choir and two brass bands. The sound from the loudest section set off
the fire alarms in the Sheldonian Theatre when I performed in it.
Oh fabulous!
I think I'd go with the 1812, with real cannons. Loaded with shuriken
stars if they're into martial arts.
Peter Percival
2020-05-05 20:18:03 UTC
I think I'd go with the 1812, with real cannons. Loaded with shuriken
stars if they're into martial arts.
I can never see the words "martial arts" without reading them as
"marital arts".
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-05-05 22:00:34 UTC
Not every composer makes the Dies Irae loud and wrathful. In Michael Haydn's requiem for the late archbishop Sigismond it is gentle. Perhaps representing God's mercy.
Mike Ruddock
2020-05-06 07:48:19 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
john
. . . or the Grande Symphonie Funebre et Triumphale by Berlioz.

Mike Ruddock
Chris McMillan
2020-05-08 13:42:11 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Respect!!

McT has recorded in there.

2020-05-05 17:30:33 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Oh, how I'd love to. I was thinking of the opening of Bach's B minor
Mass, Zadok The Priest or, indeed, Voodoo Chile. The trouble is that it
would disturb others very badly whom I would not wish to disturb. Also,
it's not a tactic I'd really like to employ, however tempting. I
suspect that it would only make the situation worse and we'd lose any
moral high ground we might occupy if we have to try involving other
authorities.[1] Frankly, during the current lockdown I doubt whether
there's much we can do except try to endure.

[1]"But officer," <flutter of eyelashes> "we're only exercising to try
to stay healthy during this very difficult time for all of us, but that
maniac downstairs is blasting out music at 3.30am..."
2020-05-05 17:50:55 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
The rain, it falleth on the just, because the unjust having swiped the
just’s umbrella.
2020-05-05 18:21:31 UTC
The rain, it falleth on the just, because the unjust having swiped the
just’s umbrella.
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
(Charles Bowen)
2020-05-05 20:08:23 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
But more upon the just, because
the unjust hath the just's umbrella.

The things that stick in your head from earliest youth...
2020-05-06 07:40:57 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
I was umbrella about the exact wording; hence the poor paraphrased
rendition.
2020-05-06 05:12:44 UTC
On Tue, 5 May 2020 18:30:33 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Oh, how I'd love to. I was thinking of the opening of Bach's B minor
Mass, Zadok The Priest or, indeed, Voodoo Chile. The trouble is that it
would disturb others very badly whom I would not wish to disturb. Also,
it's not a tactic I'd really like to employ, however tempting. I
suspect that it would only make the situation worse and we'd lose any
moral high ground we might occupy if we have to try involving other
authorities.[1] Frankly, during the current lockdown I doubt whether
there's much we can do except try to endure.
This is the time to unleash your inner MacGyver! While you are turning
the flat upside-down and screwing those speakers to the ceiling you
might as well repurpose the rest of the furniture as sound insulation
for the benefit of the neighbours. You might be amazed at how
effective a wardrobe can be at cutting down the dBs once you have
filled it up with sand...
Post by Sid Nuncius
[1]"But officer," <flutter of eyelashes> "we're only exercising to try
to stay healthy during this very difficult time for all of us, but that
maniac downstairs is blasting out music at 3.30am..."
....but when the public health/ASB team come around looking for
evidence to support upstairs claim and they interview all those who
live around and who unanimously say they never hear a thing from your
home and what nice, quiet, model neighbours you are, you will gain
enormous satisfaction watching the people upstairs being taken away by
those nice young men in their clean, white coats...

2020-05-07 18:17:31 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Bit of Kraftwerk perhaps at their most raucous?

Sincerely Chris
steve hague
2020-05-06 09:50:56 UTC
[...]
I suggest wax earplugs. They work for me, and they did for Odysseus's crew.
2020-05-06 11:17:57 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
She doesn't need earplugs. It's me who needs them when she's in season!
Wrexham, UK
Mike
2020-05-06 11:31:38 UTC
She doesn't need earplugs. It's me who needs them when she's in season!
‘Tell me what you want, what you really really want...’
2020-05-06 11:55:22 UTC
It was Odysseus's crew not Odysseus screw.
Sam Plusnet
2020-05-06 23:41:26 UTC
Pardon?
She doesn't need earplugs.  It's me who needs them when she's in season!
That phrase "Season's Greetings" begins to take on quite a different
meaning.
2020-05-07 07:34:52 UTC
Pardon?
She doesn't need earplugs.  It's me who needs them when she's in season!
That phrase "Season's Greetings" begins to take on quite a different
meaning.
ITYM ‘Season’s Cravings’.;-)
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-05-07 08:43:27 UTC
Pardon?
She doesn't need earplugs.  It's me who needs them when she's in season!
That phrase "Season's Greetings" begins to take on quite a different
meaning.
It certainly takes on a different meaning in Glasgow.

2020-05-06 18:46:54 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
They don't keep out the shaking and shock of the impacts. They're also
less than ideal if one is trying to watch the TV or listen to the radio
or some music.
2020-05-06 20:08:14 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
It would be a dreadful shame if someone should accidentally post the
miscreants' names and address on a social medium such as, plucking an
example at random, a newsgroup dedicated to a venerable radio programme,
and then the denizens of said social medium should accidentally mail the
miscreants cease and desist letters, threats of environmental health
officers or invitations to the World Martial Arts Championships in New
Zealand next week.

2020-05-07 02:14:33 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
.... All acts which I am sure Chankel, late of this parish, would have
heartily endorsed.

2020-05-07 05:17:52 UTC
It would be a dreadful shame if someone should accidentally post the
miscreants' names and address on a social medium such as, plucking an
example at random, a newsgroup dedicated to a venerable radio programme,
and then the denizens of said social medium should accidentally mail the
miscreants cease and desist letters, threats of environmental health
officers or invitations to the World Martial Arts Championships in New
Zealand next week.
Get thee behind me, Satan...but stay within shouting distance, would
you, just in case?
2020-05-06 23:25:23 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
Noise cancelling headphones?

I know that it's not exigent on you to make the adjustments but it's what
I do (for not such a problem upstairs as you have, Sid) but it makes me
calmer . . .
2020-05-07 05:15:37 UTC
Noise cancelling headphones?
I know that it's not exigent on you to make the adjustments but it's what
I do (for not such a problem upstairs as you have, Sid) but it makes me
calmer . . .
We have a couple of pairs; they do help, but don't completely solve the
problem, and wofe doesn't get on well with them. We have a downstairs
kitchen; the other evening I could still hear the thumping while there
listening to music, two floors down and through headphones. Also, even
after 44 years together, we do still sometimes want to sit quietly in
our own home and have a chat.

Things are not quite as bad as they were before I contacted both
perpetrators and landlord, but they're still bad enough to leave wofe
shaking and in tears some days. We yearn for the day when the
gym/dojo/whatever reopens.
2020-05-07 18:17:31 UTC
[...]
If they’re renting get on to the Council. I see in our local rag a family
have bern turfed out of their house for noise levels.

Scumbags.

Sincerely Chris
steve hague
2020-05-08 08:48:37 UTC
[...]
Makes me realise how blessed we are. Our next door neighbours have four
kids, and we hardly hear a peep out of them. Occasionally we get an
apology for the amount of noise they make when playing in their garden
during daylight hours, but that's perfectly acceptable to us. It's a
pity not everyone is as thoughtful and considerate as they are.
2020-05-08 09:25:03 UTC
Post by steve hague
Makes me realise how blessed we are. Our next door neighbours have four
kids, and we hardly hear a peep out of them. Occasionally we get an
apology for the amount of noise they make when playing in their garden
during daylight hours, but that's perfectly acceptable to us. It's a
pity not everyone is as thoughtful and considerate as they are.
There are a couple of children who have a trampoline just the other side
of my garden wall and when I went out to feed and water my pear tree
last night they were on the trampoline, joining in the Twilight Barking
(1). As I've never heard it round here before, it rather I felt as
though I was being applauded for nurturing my plants!

(1) Copyright Jpeg, I believe
Wrexham, UK