OT: used Christmas stamps?
2020-12-24 17:49:00 UTC
I remember seeing collection bins for used stamps for charity; I think
the idea was they were bundled up, and sold as collection packs to
foreign stamp collectors (UK collectors used to be able to buy such
packs of foreign stamps, though I don't remember them being for
charity).

Does anywhere still do it? I suspect not (certainly the supermarket I
was in yesterday didn't) - presumably due to a combination of the
decline in that hobby (except for investment purposes), and the
increasing costs of labour and postage.

"Bother," said Pooh, as he fell off the bridge with his stick.
Mike McMillan
2020-12-24 18:29:29 UTC
I remember seeing collection bins for used stamps for charity; I think
the idea was they were bundled up, and sold as collection packs to
foreign stamp collectors (UK collectors used to be able to buy such
packs of foreign stamps, though I don't remember them being for
charity).
Does anywhere still do it? I suspect not (certainly the supermarket I
was in yesterday didn't) - presumably due to a combination of the
decline in that hobby (except for investment purposes), and the
increasing costs of labour and postage.
As they say, Philately will get you nowhere. (Sorry, IGMG)
Tony Smith
Until recently my village post office did. But we no longer have a village post office.
Tony Smith
2020-12-24 20:24:09 UTC
Perhaps Oxfam or similar charity shop. They took a handful of unspent coins I came home with from Belarus a few years back.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-12-24 20:54:00 UTC
I remember seeing collection bins for used stamps for charity; I think
the idea was they were bundled up, and sold as collection packs to
foreign stamp collectors (UK collectors used to be able to buy such
packs of foreign stamps, though I don't remember them being for charity).
Does anywhere still do it? I suspect not (certainly the supermarket I
was in yesterday didn't) - presumably due to a combination of the
decline in that hobby (except for investment purposes), and the
increasing costs of labour and postage.
Yes, the ME Association will take them happily :) You can see details
at <https://meassociation.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/easy-ways/>, if
you scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.
Penny
2020-12-24 23:25:17 UTC
On Thu, 24 Dec 2020 20:54:00 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
I remember seeing collection bins for used stamps for charity; I think
the idea was they were bundled up, and sold as collection packs to
foreign stamp collectors (UK collectors used to be able to buy such
packs of foreign stamps, though I don't remember them being for charity).
Does anywhere still do it? I suspect not (certainly the supermarket I
was in yesterday didn't) - presumably due to a combination of the
decline in that hobby (except for investment purposes), and the
increasing costs of labour and postage.
Yes, the ME Association will take them happily :) You can see details
at <https://meassociation.org.uk/get-involved/fundraise/easy-ways/>, if
you scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
As I still have the envelope I addressed in a previous year for them (I
don't get much post with stamps on), I suppose I should check if the
Freepost address is still
RTKX-RZCC-ZSCR
Stromness
Orkney
before I send it.
2020-12-25 04:07:47 UTC
[...]
I know some charities, though they have a FreePost address, still have
to pay for it (the envelopes say something like "freepost, but if you
put a stamp on it saves us ..."); I'd be worried, if they're of that
type, that what they get for selling the stamps - like you, I get very
little stamped mail, mainly Christmas cards (where the stamps are often
nice ones, too) - would be less than they'd have to pay to receive them.

It always amazed me, thinking back, that they (I forget who; was it Blue
Peter?) managed to fund guide dogs with posted-in tinfoil.

"Bother,"saidPoohwhenhisspacebarrefusedtowork.
Chris
2020-12-25 20:57:07 UTC
[...]
If you contact the rnib they’ll send a prepaid big envelope to you - but
they very fussy about how much paper to leave round the stamps - in fact
seeing how we put the stamps on it feels I should Chuck the whole envelope
in.

2020-12-25 21:24:07 UTC
Post by Chris
[...]
IRTA MIB (u,c, for emphasis) and wondered what the Men in Black wanted
with used stamps.

2020-12-26 11:22:19 UTC
Post by Chris
[...]
john
See what you mean. :). If anyone’s interested I have an address. It’s not
the every day one.

2020-12-26 04:22:32 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I know some charities, though they have a FreePost address, still have
to pay for it (the envelopes say something like "freepost, but if you
put a stamp on it saves us ..."); I'd be worried, if they're of that
type, that what they get for selling the stamps - like you, I get very
little stamped mail, mainly Christmas cards (where the stamps are often
nice ones, too) - would be less than they'd have to pay to receive them.
It always amazed me, thinking back, that they (I forget who; was it Blue
Peter?) managed to fund guide dogs with posted-in tinfoil.
If you contact the rnib they’ll send a prepaid big envelope to you - but
they very fussy about how much paper to leave round the stamps - in fact
seeing how we put the stamps on it feels I should Chuck the whole envelope
in.
Sincerely Chris
I'd be quite happy to do so. But I won't bother them this year - have
only three envelopes. But thanks for the tip.

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
CALVIN AND HOBBES, according to a @qikipedia tweet 2019-9-9.
Chris
2020-12-26 11:22:20 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
:). At your rate, it’d be the rest of your life. It’s a very large
envelope, post paid.