Interesting
2018-10-04 15:48:01 UTC
This has just arrived in my Inbox and I would welcome advice on how to
respond please:

Greetings.

I am looking to work with you to engage in a profit oriented venture in
your country and perhaps with your assistance, we could get good return
on investment (ROI) and low tax rates.

I have the directive of Mr. Mikhail Khodorkovsky to source for a partner
abroad who can accommodate fifty million dollars & one hundred and fifty
million dollars for Investments. The sums are derived from a project
carried out with Yukos Oil Company before the merged with Rosneft Oil
Corporation in Russia.

We shall re-assign the necessary documents to reflect your name and also
ensure payment is done by Rosneft. I guaranty we would implement this
under a legitimate arrangement without breaking the law.

More details will follow upon your reply.

Regards,

Alexander
2018-10-04 16:17:23 UTC
[...]
You might care to tell them from a spoofed e-mail address that the other
lower limb interests the local campanologists;-)
2018-10-04 21:09:26 UTC
[...]
LOL!

Sounds like a variation on what used to be referred to as the Nigerian
scam, or similar.

All humanity is divided into three classes: those who are immovable, those who
are movable, and those who move! - Benjamin Franklin
BrritSki
The words "touch" "don't" and "bargepole" come to mind.
Nick Odell
2018-10-04 16:47:28 UTC
[...]
...yet people still fall for it.

There is a third way. Like this, for instance: https://www.419eater.com/

"So what is scambaiting? Well, put simply, you enter into a dialogue
with scammers, simply to waste their time and resources. Whilst you are
doing this, you will be helping to keep the scammers away from real
potential victims and screwing around with the minds of deserving thieves."

The best ones IMO are those who've managed to arrange meetings with
scammers at far off and exotic locations and simply not turn up. And the
bestest of all are those who persuade the scammer that it was only bad
luck that they didn't run into each other in this far off and exotic
location and manage to persuade them to do it all over again.

But of course you'd need to be retired with a lot of time on your hands
to play that game.

Nick
Flop
2018-10-04 20:28:45 UTC
[...]
There is also an apocryphal story of someone who went along with the
scammer. Kept communications going until the scammer asked for an
upfront fee.
The response was that the 'victim' was waiting for funds to buy a job
lot of computers for which he had already had a buyer. The money from
the sale of the computers would then cover the upfront fee.

He was so convincing that the scammer sent him the money to buy the
computers :-)

A good story which you may or may not believe.
--
Flop

I find it ironic that the colours red, white, and blue stand for freedom
until they are flashing behind you
Clive Arthur
2018-10-04 16:56:30 UTC
[...]
You can actually make a lot of money from these schemes. There's a bit
of a trick to it, and I'd need some up-front funds before I tell you the
details.

Cheers
Clive
Steve Hague
2018-10-04 20:29:06 UTC
[...]
Definitely grasp it with both hands. It's not often an opportunity to
make such a vast amount of money comes along. Can I have your bank details?