Lidl in a Welsh lockdown
2020-10-27 16:31:48 UTC
I was wondering what constituted 'essential' items as I drove down to the
store earlier (some supermarkets having made crazy selections).

The 'middle of Lidl' WIGIG racks were all full but turned to face each
other, I suppose they couldn't cancel the Sunday offers delivery. But I was
pleased to find their list of essentials included chocolate (including
special occasion versions), ice cream and alcohol.

The major bonus for me, compared with recent visits, was the general lack
of other customers and those there were were each on their own - no couples
or families. I think I like lockdown...
2020-10-27 22:24:07 UTC
I was wondering what constituted 'essential' items as I drove down to the
store earlier (some supermarkets having made crazy selections).
The 'middle of Lidl' WIGIG racks were all full but turned to face each
other, I suppose they couldn't cancel the Sunday offers delivery. But I was
pleased to find their list of essentials included chocolate (including
special occasion versions), ice cream and alcohol.
The major bonus for me, compared with recent visits, was the general lack
of other customers and those there were were each on their own - no couples
or families. I think I like lockdown...
My answer to your query from this end of Wales is... I haven't a clue!

Today I needed some ready mixed plaster (I was convinced I still had
some from last year, but after turning the place upside down I admitted
defeat).

Wofe 'instructed' me to go out and get some (after a few withering looks
over the missing plaster).
I pointed out that only shops selling essential items can open and this
could hardly be considered...

I checked. The local Screwfix _was_ open & I got my plaster[1].

Tampons? Evidently thought to be a borderline case.
Mixed Plaster? No problem!

[1] In the middle of nowhere & happily (for me) almost entirely empty.
2020-10-27 22:31:17 UTC
[...]
Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster.
2020-10-27 23:21:50 UTC
On 27 Oct 2020 22:31:17 GMT, Sally Thompson
[...]
I was trying to figure that one out. Was it some ill-informed male shop
minion or a corporate blunder? I did think it might be based upon VAT -
most essential essentials have none. You can buy the ingredients for
toffee, cake or biscuits with no added tax but I think the ready-made
versions are taxable (same applies to tampons but I think my mother was a
rare adopter of the roll-your-own).
Mixed Plaster? No problem!
[1] In the middle of nowhere & happily (for me) almost entirely empty.
Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster.
LOL
2020-10-28 08:55:45 UTC
[...]
I think the government website said health/medical/personal products
were 5 % taxed and it varied on those.
LOL
Serena Blanchflower
2020-10-28 10:50:32 UTC
[...]
Apparently, the actual reason for the aisle being blocked off was
nothing to do with Covid but due to a break-in. Several members of
staff though (both in store and in their customer support department,
from what I can gather) seem to have failed to engage brain and just
assumed that any restrictions should be blamed on Covid and the
government :(
If all goes well, this year's drama will be next year's anecdote
(Humphrey Littleton)
Serena Blanchflower
2020-10-28 10:53:30 UTC
[...]
Apparently, the reason the aisle had been blocked off was nothing to do
with Covid but was because of a break-in. It sounds as if multiple
members of staff (both in-store and in the customer support department)
failed to engage brain, and simply assumed that any restrictions could
safely be blamed on Covid and the government.

<https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesco-ban-sanitary-items-reason-19166826>
Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist,
but you have ceased to live.
John Ashby
2020-10-28 12:33:58 UTC
Post by Penny
[...]
Q. Who breaks into a supermarket to steal tampons?
A. I don't know, but you're going to want to be very careful trying to
arrest them.

2020-10-28 21:18:04 UTC
[...]
You missed the story about a woman in a (I think) Newport supermarket
who was told she couldn't buy tampons because they weren't on the list
of "Essential Items".

Yes. It did turn out to be a misunderstanding by the shop assistant -
but that didn't help the shopper.
Sjouke Burry
You can , but it wont be comfortable......
Penny
2020-10-28 10:11:47 UTC
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 00:49:04 +0100, Sjouke Burry
Post by Sjouke Burry
Wofe 'instructed' me to go out and get some (after a few withering looks
over the missing plaster).
I pointed out that only shops selling essential items can open and this
could hardly be considered...
I checked. The local Screwfix _was_ open & I got my plaster[1].
Tampons? Evidently thought to be a borderline case.
Mixed Plaster? No problem!
[1] In the middle of nowhere & happily (for me) almost entirely empty.
Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster.
You can , but it wont be comfortable......
Or healthy - what would get you first, the toxic shock or the lime burns?
Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
John Ashby
2020-10-28 19:36:02 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
Wofe 'instructed' me to go out and get some (after a few withering looks
over the missing plaster).
I pointed out that only shops selling essential items can open and this
could hardly be considered...
I checked.  The local Screwfix _was_ open & I got my plaster[1].
Tampons?  Evidently thought to be a borderline case.
Mixed Plaster?  No problem!
[1] In the middle of nowhere & happily (for me) almost entirely empty.
Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster.
You can , but it wont be comfortable......
Or healthy - what would get you first, the toxic shock or the lime burns?
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
YAMrsSlocombeAICM5MissBrahms

2020-10-28 19:38:42 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
Post by Sally Thompson
Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster.
You can , but it wont be comfortable......
Or healthy - what would get you first, the toxic shock or the lime burns?
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
POTUS might attempt a smash-and-grab raid.
--
Sid
2020-10-28 21:21:14 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
Wofe 'instructed' me to go out and get some (after a few withering looks
over the missing plaster).
I pointed out that only shops selling essential items can open and this
could hardly be considered...
I checked.  The local Screwfix _was_ open & I got my plaster[1].
Tampons?  Evidently thought to be a borderline case.
Mixed Plaster?  No problem!
[1] In the middle of nowhere & happily (for me) almost entirely empty.
Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster.
You can , but it wont be comfortable......
Or healthy - what would get you first, the toxic shock or the lime burns?
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.

(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
Did it involve a pyramid ?
Mike McMillan
2020-10-29 13:43:20 UTC
Post by Sjouke Burry
Wofe 'instructed' me to go out and get some (after a few withering looks
over the missing plaster).
I pointed out that only shops selling essential items can open and this
could hardly be considered...
I checked.  The local Screwfix _was_ open & I got my plaster[1].
Tampons?  Evidently thought to be a borderline case.
Mixed Plaster?  No problem!
[1] In the middle of nowhere & happily (for me) almost entirely empty.
Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster.
You can , but it wont be comfortable......
Or healthy - what would get you first, the toxic shock or the lime burns?
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
Did it involve a pyramid ?
Or shouts of ‘I don’t wish to be a Mummy yet!’
2020-10-29 10:13:04 UTC
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 21:21:14 +0000, Sam Plusnet <***@home.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
2020-10-29 13:45:10 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I should think tramping several hundreds of miles across hot barren ground
carrying a heavy load would be enough to dampen anyone’s ardour...
2020-10-29 19:43:26 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Steve Hague
2020-10-30 08:36:16 UTC
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
Steve
Nick Leverton
2020-10-30 08:55:54 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
This is Umra, surely we can lay our hands on some hippo howsit ...

2020-10-30 09:14:01 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
This is Umra, surely we can lay our hands on some hippo howsit ...
Nick
These days, I wouldn't be surprised if you had better luck with the
crocodile dung than the alum (or Alum): just buying plain chemicals is
quite difficult. (Most "chemists" no longer sell chemicals - assuming
you can actually find one anyway, that hasn't turned into a "pharmacy".)

"Let us endeavour so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker
will be sorry." Mark Twain according to Gyles Brandreth on Twitter, 2020-6-23.
Nick Odell
2020-10-30 18:40:17 UTC
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 08:55:54 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
This is Umra, surely we can lay our hands on some hippo howsit ...
I've got some elephant poo at home if that's any help?

2020-10-30 16:59:33 UTC
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 08:55:54 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
This is Umra, surely we can lay our hands on some hippo howsit ...
I've got some elephant poo at home if that's any help?
Nick
Do you need Jumbo toilet rolls for that?
2020-10-30 18:44:23 UTC
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 15:40:17 -0300, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 08:55:54 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
This is Umra, surely we can lay our hands on some hippo howsit ...
I've got some elephant poo at home if that's any help?
I've got some lion poo to discourage neighbourhood cats.
2020-10-30 18:58:43 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 08:55:54 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
This is Umra, surely we can lay our hands on some hippo howsit ...
I've got some elephant poo at home if that's any help?
I've got some lion poo to discourage neighbourhood cats.
I've got some shampoo if we run out of the real thing.[1]

[1]The old ones are the best.
--
Sid
2020-10-30 20:55:54 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 08:55:54 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
This is Umra, surely we can lay our hands on some hippo howsit ...
I've got some elephant poo at home if that's any help?
I've got some lion poo to discourage neighbourhood cats.
I've got some shampoo if we run out of the real thing.[1]
[1]The old ones are the best.
Then ther artificial soap: shambolic.
2020-10-30 21:20:03 UTC
I've got some lion poo to discourage neighbourhood cats.
Does cat poo upset lions?
2020-10-31 05:57:05 UTC
I've got some lion poo to discourage neighbourhood cats.
Does cat poo upset lions?
Probably. Their second album was rubbish.
--
Sid
2020-10-30 09:28:29 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
Which is surprising - with the pollution in the Nile there's been a run
on it.
Mike McMillan
2020-10-30 10:04:32 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
Steve
Just make a VERY LOUD NOISE in New Orleans and then wait by the river
mouth, there will be plenty.
2020-10-30 12:10:16 UTC
On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 10:04:32 GMT, Mike McMillan <***@ntlworld.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
Steve
Just make a VERY LOUD NOISE in New Orleans and then wait by the river
mouth, there will be plenty.
Is alligator dung the same, then?

DINTAFPOU?

I understand you can get both in Florida.
2020-10-30 21:21:36 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
Steve
Just make a VERY LOUD NOISE in New Orleans and then wait by the river
mouth, there will be plenty.
Is alligator dung the same, then?
DINTAFPOU?
I understand you can get both in Florida.
Yes, but think of the delivery charges.
2020-10-30 21:18:50 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
the dust...
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
Nobody wants a plastered pussy.
I understand that was very popular for Mummies in Egypt.
(Which reminds me of the ancient Egyptian birth control method.)
I'm aware of birth control for camels - did they also use it for people?
I believe it involved both crocodile dung and Alum - so we are almost
back to ready mix plaster.
Flipping supermarkets these days. You can never get crocodile dung when
you need it.
Try Waitrose, they might have the organic sort.
2020-10-28 08:03:52 UTC
Tampons? Evidently thought to be a borderline case.
Mixed Plaster? No problem!
Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster.
Ah - so *that's* why wofe was so upset with the Sainsbury's delivery
that time...
--
Sid
2020-10-28 08:21:11 UTC
[...]
The Usian version of that being:

Trust me, you cannot replace tampons with ready mixed plaster, period.
2020-10-28 19:46:44 UTC
[...]
BTN!

It was difficult deciding which post in the thread should get the
nomination but I decided that this was the best option ;)
Life wouldn't be worth living if I worried over the future as well as
the present. (W. Somerset Maugham)
BrritSki
Yes, the whole thread deserves one, incl. the late contribution from Sid.
Mike McMillan
2020-10-29 13:42:11 UTC
[...]
Some of the old style plasterwork included the use of rags in the mix.
2020-10-29 14:17:34 UTC
On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 at 13:42:11, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
I've heard of rag-rolling, but I thought that was in the context of
interior decorating. (Oh, but wait ...)

Grief generates a huge energy in you and it's better for everybody if you
harness it to do something. - Judi Dench, RT 2015/2/28-3/6
BrritSki
See above.
BrritSki
2020-10-29 15:46:46 UTC
BTNs for this thread are now closed. Enough already.
Mike McMillan
2020-10-29 19:01:53 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Some of the old style plasterwork included the use of rags in the mix.
BTNs for this thread are now closed. Enough already.
That posting was supposed to be informative, not BTN worthy!