TKC - Chocolate
2020-11-07 10:41:15 UTC
The Kitchen Cabinet (Radio 4 now) is discussing chocolate.
THBAPSA.
2020-11-07 19:27:05 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
The Kitchen Cabinet (Radio 4 now) is discussing chocolate.
THBAPSA.
And biscuit dunking (or not)
Sincerely Chris
I always believed that dunking was strictly only for Ginger Nuts and was
amazed to find that there are people who dunk all sorts of biscuits. To
me, that is just plain WRONG.
Wrexham, UK
Serena Blanchflower
2020-11-07 19:49:25 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
The Kitchen Cabinet (Radio 4 now) is discussing chocolate.
THBAPSA.
And biscuit dunking (or not)
Sincerely Chris
I always believed that dunking was strictly only for Ginger Nuts and
was amazed to find that there are people who dunk all sorts of
biscuits. To me, that is just plain WRONG.
I'd add plain digestives or rich tea to the list but, beyond those, I
agree with you. I really don't understand the idea of dunking anything
with chocolate on it; I can't see that improving either the chocolate or
the tea.
Q. Why did the nurse creep into the cupboard?
A. So as not to wake the sleeping pills
Sam Plusnet
2020-11-08 01:41:13 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
The Kitchen Cabinet (Radio 4 now) is discussing chocolate.
THBAPSA.
And biscuit dunking (or not)
Sincerely Chris
I always believed that dunking was strictly only for Ginger Nuts and
was amazed to find that there are people who dunk all sorts of
biscuits.  To me, that is just plain WRONG.
I'd add plain digestives or rich tea to the list but, beyond those, I
agree with you.  I really don't understand the idea of dunking anything
with chocolate on it; I can't see that improving either the chocolate or
the tea.
I agree - especially with that last item, but Wofe will dunk any biscuit.
She also cannot understand why I object to her leaving chocolate
biscuits somewhere warm. She is quite particular about taste, but
seems to have a blindspot where the texture of chocolate on biscuits is
concerned.
2020-11-08 08:39:41 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Just for the record, we store our choccie stash (70% or greater cocoa) in
the ‘fridge; as commented on in TKC, there is a crunch factor added to the
experience - but some prefer the taste during the softening of the
chocolate in the mouth to be better if stored at room temperature - you
pays yer money .... (and if you close your eyes, I’ll nick the lot!).
2020-11-08 09:19:32 UTC
On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 08:39:41 GMT, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Just for the record, we store our choccie stash (70% or greater cocoa) in
the ‘fridge; as commented on in TKC, there is a crunch factor added to the
experience - but some prefer the taste during the softening of the
chocolate in the mouth to be better if stored at room temperature - you
pays yer money .... (and if you close your eyes, I’ll nick the lot!).
Are you quite sure Chris prefers cold hard chocolate or might she just
be a nice wife and accommodating to your preference?
Mike McMillan
2020-11-08 10:19:42 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Just for the record, we store our choccie stash (70% or greater cocoa) in
the ‘fridge; as commented on in TKC, there is a crunch factor added to the
experience - but some prefer the taste during the softening of the
chocolate in the mouth to be better if stored at room temperature - you
pays yer money .... (and if you close your eyes, I’ll nick the lot!).
Are you quite sure Chris prefers cold hard chocolate or might she just
be a nice wife and accommodating to your preference?
I’ll let SWMBO to reply!
2020-11-08 10:25:13 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Just for the record, we store our choccie stash (70% or greater cocoa) in
the ‘fridge; as commented on in TKC, there is a crunch factor added to the
experience - but some prefer the taste during the softening of the
chocolate in the mouth to be better if stored at room temperature - you
pays yer money .... (and if you close your eyes, I’ll nick the lot!).
Are you quite sure Chris prefers cold hard chocolate or might she just
be a nice wife and accommodating to your preference?
Certainly not, Vicky. We’ve always kept chocolate in the fridge from the
day we got married and kept cooking chocolate in the fridge so it was hard
for melting or grating.

2020-11-08 11:59:17 UTC
On Sun, 08 Nov 2020 08:39:41 GMT, Mike McMillan <***@ntlworld.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Mike McMillan
Just for the record, we store our choccie stash (70% or greater cocoa) in
the ‘fridge; as commented on in TKC, there is a crunch factor added to the
experience - but some prefer the taste during the softening of the
chocolate in the mouth to be better if stored at room temperature - you
pays yer money .... (and if you close your eyes, I’ll nick the lot!).
I quite like milk chocolate* straight from the fridge, particularly Wispa
and Flake (and, before I went off them completely, Mars) but proper dark
chocolate is IMO much better dissolved slowly on the tongue from room
temperature.

* which I mostly avoid these days as it's too sweet and just makes you want
another one.
2020-11-08 09:17:20 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
I am happy to dunk biscuits with chocolate and B likes chocolate and
choc biscuits left inthe fridge so as not to get soft but I don't. Is
it like men prefer cooler houses and women warmer in general?

WHen WW stopped their own choc digestives, 1 point, I chcecked other
brands which were 2 or 3 points and then found nice biscuits, rich
tea, malted or shortcake biscuits(no fruit in them please) are all 1
point like the WW were. I have come to like allthose plan ones very
much. Oh, and ginger biscuits are 1 point too. Shortcake are the best
but not all places have them without fruit.
Mike McMillan
2020-11-08 08:33:07 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
The Kitchen Cabinet (Radio 4 now) is discussing chocolate.
THBAPSA.
And biscuit dunking (or not)
Sincerely Chris
I always believed that dunking was strictly only for Ginger Nuts and was
amazed to find that there are people who dunk all sorts of biscuits. To
me, that is just plain WRONG.
That’s hair colour discrimination!
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-11-08 14:36:50 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
The Kitchen Cabinet (Radio 4 now) is discussing chocolate.
THBAPSA.
And biscuit dunking (or not)
Sincerely Chris
I always believed that dunking was strictly only for Ginger Nuts and was
amazed to find that there are people who dunk all sorts of biscuits.  To
me, that is just plain WRONG.
I have never forgiven United Biscuits for changing the recipe for Ginger
Nuts in the 1970s so that they were less hard and more inclined to
crumble into the tea when dunked.

Meanwhile, deprived this year by Covid of my thrice-yearly trip to
London where my meetings were punctuated by coffee with the sublime
products of the Island Bakery of Tobermory, I managed to find a
selection of Island biscuits in my Waitrose order. Maybe they're only
available in Scotland. The lemon melts are particularly to be commended
but the chocolate gingers are excellent too. Mind you, it's hard to beat
the dark chocolate gingers by Border Biscuits of Lanark. I wouldn't want
to dunk any of the above.