Henry is bored
2018-08-23 21:04:23 UTC
Does anyone in Ambridge run any activities for children during term
time or in the holidays? I mean like Brownies, cubs, woodcraft,
ballet, karate?

Maybe Bridge Farm should set something up. Pat could do a Woodcraft
group, based on farming and animal skills and maybe let the kids do
gardening, growing things in a partch of ground. Henry could do it and
Ed and WIll's children too. And there must be others locally.

We know Hayley ran something at Lower Loxley, for schools and
visitors. Pat could do that and get Phoebe to help in the holidays and
..who else is around? Johnny maybe too. Mothers who bring the kids to
activities and wait in the cafe and spend money .
Fenny
2018-08-23 21:51:14 UTC
On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 22:04:23 +0100, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
Does anyone in Ambridge run any activities for children during term
time or in the holidays? I mean like Brownies, cubs, woodcraft,
ballet, karate?
Maybe Bridge Farm should set something up. Pat could do a Woodcraft
group, based on farming and animal skills and maybe let the kids do
gardening, growing things in a partch of ground. Henry could do it and
Ed and WIll's children too. And there must be others locally.
We know Hayley ran something at Lower Loxley, for schools and
visitors. Pat could do that and get Phoebe to help in the holidays and
..who else is around? Johnny maybe too. Mothers who bring the kids to
activities and wait in the cafe and spend money .
I'm sure there has been mention of Brownies in the past, even if only
so that Molly Button could have done something terrible.
2018-08-24 07:31:41 UTC
Does anyone in Ambridge run any activities for children during term
time or in the holidays? I mean like Brownies, cubs, woodcraft,
ballet, karate?
Maybe Bridge Farm should set something up. Pat could do a Woodcraft
group, based on farming and animal skills and maybe let the kids do
gardening, growing things in a partch of ground. Henry could do it and
Ed and WIll's children too. And there must be others locally.
We know Hayley ran something at Lower Loxley, for schools and
visitors. Pat could do that and get Phoebe to help in the holidays and
..who else is around? Johnny maybe too. Mothers who bring the kids to
activities and wait in the cafe and spend money .
We have plenty of ‘partched’ ground in our garden too;-)))
2018-08-24 07:45:09 UTC
Does anyone in Ambridge run any activities for children during term
time or in the holidays? I mean like Brownies, cubs, woodcraft,
ballet, karate?
Maybe Bridge Farm should set something up. Pat could do a Woodcraft
group, based on farming and animal skills and maybe let the kids do
gardening, growing things in a partch of ground. Henry could do it and
Ed and WIll's children too. And there must be others locally.
We know Hayley ran something at Lower Loxley, for schools and
visitors. Pat could do that and get Phoebe to help in the holidays and
..who else is around? Johnny maybe too. Mothers who bring the kids to
activities and wait in the cafe and spend money .
We have plenty of ‘partched’ ground in our garden too;-)))
Our local farm shop includes a children’s indoor climbing/softplay centre.
I am suspicious of the fruit and veg as anything local or even UK in
origin. I don’t mind but think it should be clearer. The food in the play
centre is poor and overpriced.

-- r
2018-08-24 15:24:30 UTC
Does anyone in Ambridge run any activities for children during term
time or in the holidays? I mean like Brownies, cubs, woodcraft,
ballet, karate?
Not in Ambridge, but the local school seems the most likely place for
after school or holiday activities.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Brownie group, or similar, was held in the
village hall, but that wouldn't help with looking after bored children
in the school holidays.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Maybe Bridge Farm should set something up. Pat could do a Woodcraft
group, based on farming and animal skills and maybe let the kids do
gardening, growing things in a partch of ground. Henry could do it and
Ed and WIll's children too. And there must be others locally.
We know Hayley ran something at Lower Loxley, for schools and
visitors. Pat could do that and get Phoebe to help in the holidays and
..who else is around? Johnny maybe too. Mothers who bring the kids to
activities and wait in the cafe and spend money .
I would imagine that Elizabeth found somebody to replace Hayley, it just
wasn't worthy of bringing it to our intention. To me, it sounded as if
these activities at Lower Loxley were very like the ones that I assist
with, in a voluntary capacity. We cater for school trips in term time,
'Hayley' leads the children in the educational activity that the school
has selected, with the aid of one or two of us volunteers, plus the
teachers and any helpers that they brought with them. In the school
holidays we ('Hayley' and several volunteers) provide a few free craft
activities for our visitors. It is an extra attraction that seems to
draw families in (sometimes more than once during a holiday). Family
groups drop in as they pass, we explain the week's activities, and the
children get stuck in to whichever ones they fancy, ideally with any
necessary help coming from their parents. The adults can sit and watch
their charges from a little distance, but can not wander off and leave
their children with us. Once the youngsters have created their
masterpieces, they can take them with them as the family moves on to
explore the place further.

I could imagine there being some limited play facilities in the corner
of the tea room, to occupy children while their parents look over them
and have a cuppa. That might draw some families in, but it might put
other customers off. The fact they it would take up room where they
might have a few more tables, would also need consideration.

Much as some people in Ambridge might like someone to entertain their
children during school holidays, I can't see any of the Ambridgites that
we know of starting a new child care venture. There is nobody around, at
present, who has the right training to consider doing this.
2018-08-24 15:58:56 UTC
Does anyone in Ambridge run any activities for children during term
time or in the holidays? I mean like Brownies, cubs, woodcraft,
ballet, karate?
Not in Ambridge, but the local school seems the most likely place for
after school or holiday activities.
I wouldn't be surprised if a Brownie group, or similar, was held in the
village hall, but that wouldn't help with looking after bored children
in the school holidays.
Didn’t Niggle set up some woodcraft projects and the like? Freddy could
work at that as community service work; later on of course, he could
introduce err... ‘medical services’ and there would then be absolutely no
bored children.;-)
2018-08-25 12:43:06 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Our Wunderkind and paid staff plus volunteers organise a whole range of
events every holiday and half term for school ages 5 up to teens, it
includes at least one off the estate trips for the teens. Her estate has
its own (part of the estate which is a 21st century build) community centre
and very well used. I don’t know about the surrounding area or the other
primary school but Adam’s school does a play scheme too. Many of the
volunteers may well do brownies etc as well. Hazel’s on maternity leave now
but she’s a qualified Brown Owl and her husband started his cub training
this year. One of his first plans was me talking to the group about
braille.

Sincerely Chris
Flop
2018-08-25 14:30:02 UTC
Our Wunderkind and paid staff plus volunteers organise a whole range of
events every holiday and half term for school ages 5 up to teens, it
includes at least one off the estate trips for the teens. Her estate has
its own (part of the estate which is a 21st century build) community centre
and very well used. I don’t know about the surrounding area or the other
primary school but Adam’s school does a play scheme too. Many of the
volunteers may well do brownies etc as well. Hazel’s on maternity leave now
but she’s a qualified Brown Owl and her husband started his cub training
this year. One of his first plans was me talking to the group about
braille.
Sincerely Chris
Wokingham Council have just built a new playground. 2 acres at a cost
[reputedly] of £250k.

It has everything. Mainly constructed of timber from the park.

I thought that the cost was quite high. But visiting it last week with
the grandchildren, the car park (~150places] was full; the overflow car
park (same sort of size) was full; and the overflow overflow was half full.

At £1.50 per hour for the car park, it should pay for itself in just
over a year.

By observation, none of the children will become obese. Just exhausted.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Mike
2018-08-25 15:08:37 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
It’s warming to know that some of our council tax is being relatively well
spent, we have had to campaign long and hard to see a return of (what is to
many in this area) a vital bus service that Wokingham decided not to
subsidize and thus denied us a year back. New bus service (19A and 19C)
starts on Sept. 3rd. Whoopee!
2018-08-25 16:17:03 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
I hope it get used sufficiently..
2018-08-26 18:11:48 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
What’s its name, Flop? Some children don’t get exhausted, only their
family!

Sincerely Chris
Flop
2018-08-26 21:00:54 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Dinton Pastures, Winnersh. Robin Hood Lane [opposite Sainsburys] and
just over the A329M.

Google 'dinton pastures' and see 'Images'.

And 'yes' chasing children around a 2 acre site is rather wearing :-(
Flop
Mike
2018-08-27 10:36:50 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Flop
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Discussed the new Dinton features with Wunderkind who reckons it is *far*
too big, this being on account of her having a very active 7 year old boy
with boundless supplies of energy and an insatiable desire to encompass
every square centimetre of prescribed space in as short a period of time as
is physically possible - then some! The expression she used was: ‘Hate it’
;-)
2018-08-27 17:21:48 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Flop
[...]
Walked past the newly renovated playground in Dulwish yesterday with
#2 daughter. Unfortunately it was raining too hard to stay and let 3
yr old grandson run off some energy before lunch but it looked quite
scary to me. There were rocky climbing areas and lots of wooden frames
to climb on as well as areas to turn on pumps so water comes out, for
older children. Daughter said grandson loves it and is fine on the
climbing areas. He is very...adventurous.
Fenny
2018-08-27 18:12:03 UTC
#2 daughter. Unfortunately it was raining too hard to stay and let 3
yr old grandson run off some energy before lunch but it looked quite
scary to me. There were rocky climbing areas and lots of wooden frames
to climb on as well as areas to turn on pumps so water comes out, for
older children. Daughter said grandson loves it and is fine on the
climbing areas. He is very...adventurous.
In the days before Safety Elves, nobody would have batted an eyelid at
such places being anything other than perfectly fine for kids to run
around and climb.
2018-08-27 20:03:15 UTC
#2 daughter. Unfortunately it was raining too hard to stay and let 3
yr old grandson run off some energy before lunch but it looked quite
scary to me. There were rocky climbing areas and lots of wooden frames
to climb on as well as areas to turn on pumps so water comes out, for
older children. Daughter said grandson loves it and is fine on the
climbing areas. He is very...adventurous.
In the days before Safety Elves, nobody would have batted an eyelid at
such places being anything other than perfectly fine for kids to run
around and climb.
Apparently the latest thinking is too safe is not good and they should
get tougher and learn to cope with risk.
Vicky Ayech
#2 daughter. Unfortunately it was raining too hard to stay and let 3
yr old grandson run off some energy before lunch but it looked quite
scary to me. There were rocky climbing areas and lots of wooden frames
to climb on as well as areas to turn on pumps so water comes out, for
older children. Daughter said grandson loves it and is fine on the
climbing areas. He is very...adventurous.
OOps! grandson is not even 2 until next month! Bad Granny! And
intrepid is a good word :)
SODAM
#2 daughter. Unfortunately it was raining too hard to stay and let 3
yr old grandson run off some energy before lunch but it looked quite
scary to me. There were rocky climbing areas and lots of wooden frames
to climb on as well as areas to turn on pumps so water comes out, for
older children. Daughter said grandson loves it and is fine on the
climbing areas. He is very...adventurous.
OOps! grandson is not even 2 until next month! Bad Granny! And
intrepid is a good word :)
It’s an excellent word.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Sam Plusnet
SODAM
#2 daughter. Unfortunately it was raining too hard to stay and let 3
yr old grandson run off some energy before lunch but it looked quite
scary to me. There were rocky climbing areas and lots of wooden frames
to climb on as well as areas to turn on pumps so water comes out, for
older children. Daughter said grandson loves it and is fine on the
climbing areas. He is very...adventurous.
Really pleased some more challenging play areas are being constructed. When
I was a young’un we played on bomb sites. FSimilarly, from the age of about
eight, I often carried a razor blade in my pencil case to sharpen my
pencils. Sometimes I got into trouble for this but often only I knew. How
often did I cut myself? Never. Living with risk, one learns to manage it.
Fenny
2018-08-28 17:27:59 UTC
Post by SODAM
Really pleased some more challenging play areas are being constructed. When
I was a young’un we played on bomb sites. FSimilarly, from the age of about
eight, I often carried a razor blade in my pencil case to sharpen my
pencils. Sometimes I got into trouble for this but often only I knew. How
often did I cut myself? Never. Living with risk, one learns to manage it.
I was given [1] my first penknife at the age of 7 and had already been
instructed on how to use one. We routinely used Pa's Stanley knife
when making Airfix models or cutting up bits of balsa wood. We also
had access to all the tools in the garage, as long as Pa had shown us
how to use them first - which he had done long before I was 7.

At the age of 8, we borrowed our class teacher's penknife to sharpen
our pencils in class. These days, if a junior teacher was known to
possess a penknife in school, they'd probably be struck off.

[1] Well, sold for a penny!
2018-08-28 17:31:35 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by SODAM
[...]
Might that make it a Penny Fenny Knife?!
the Omrud
2018-08-30 18:39:45 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by SODAM
[...]
I've been carrying a penknife since I was about six. I still do, unless
I'm flying. It's entirely legal and certainly should not be the cause
of any disciplinary action against a teacher, unless perhaps there is a
specific rule in their employment contract. I certainly take my
pockets, and hence my penknife, into school in my role as a governor.

Schools still have woodwork and metalwork classes, I think, so there are
far more dangerous implements around than penknives.
David
Penny
2018-08-27 12:42:34 UTC
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 22:00:54 +0100, Flop <***@flop.knot.me.uk> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Flop
Post by Flop
[...]
When half my grandchildren lived in Wootton Bassett we visited the large
play area at Lydiard Park. It was excellent, with well differentiated areas
for different ages of children (although keeping the intrepid younger child
out of the bit for the bigger children proved impossible).

It was a half mile walk from the car park which doubtless added to the
fitness potential. Parking was £2 for a couple of hours or £4 for the day -
it's a large park. Visiting the house and walled garden costs extra.