Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 21st September 2018
2018-09-12 11:49:04 UTC

Peggy Woolley - June Spencer
Hannah Riley - Helen Longworth
Philip Moss - Andy Hockley
Lee - Ryan Early

Director : Peter Leslie Wild
Editor : Alison Hindell
Writer : Paul Brodrick

Spoilers:
Sunday 16th - Elizabeth breaks down and an old enemy causes trouble for
Harrison.
Monday 17th - Pip's gesture is rejected and Tom has a proposition.
Tuesday 18th - Brian's plotting continues and Philip throws down the
gauntlet.
Wednesday 19th - Johnny offers some home truths and Jolene tries to make
peace.
Thursday 20th - Tony reaches a decision, Emma is impressed by a former
acquaintance and Clarrie fears the worst
Friday 21st - Freddie contemplates his future, and there is a
breakthrough for Alistair.
2018-09-12 12:48:36 UTC
For the last few weeks (months?), there's been a formfeed after the
spoilers. Is there a reason?

Thanks for posting them anyway, lest anyone think I'm complaining - I'm
not! Just curious.

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011
carolet
2018-09-12 15:11:41 UTC
For the last few weeks (months?), there's been a formfeed after the
spoilers. Is there a reason?
Thanks for posting them anyway, lest anyone think I'm complaining - I'm
not! Just curious.
I construct and keep these postings in a word document. Until some
months ago I simply copied the required text from the word document into
the posting. The result looked fine to me, but at that point some people
mentioned that they had difficulties reading these posts. I think they
said that they had to go into some other mode to read them. At that
point, I started copying the required text into a text document and
saving it. This warns me that I am removing all formatting, which is
just what I was hoping for. I then reopen the text document and copy the
contents into the post.

I can only assume that this change coincided with the introduction of
the formfeed that you can see. Perhaps it is because I tend to do a
control-A to select the text, maybe I should select the text in a
different way, to avoid picking up any hidden characters at the end.

My aim is to make these postings as easily readable as possible, any
suggestions as to how to improve them will be considered. The posts that
come back to me all look like plain text, clearly that is not the case
to others, but I won't know unless you tell me.
2018-09-12 15:19:09 UTC
[...]
They all look fine to me in Thunderbird, and thank you for doing this
every week, much appreciated.
<languid wave>
Nick Odell
2018-09-12 17:32:27 UTC
<snip?
Post by LFS
Post by carolet
My aim is to make these postings as easily readable as possible, any
suggestions as to how to improve them will be considered. The posts
that come back to me all look like plain text, clearly that is not
the case to others, but I won't know unless you tell me.
They all look fine to me in Thunderbird, and thank you for doing this
every week, much appreciated.
<languid wave>
<languid wave> to that <languid wave>

2018-09-12 17:49:28 UTC
<snip?
Post by LFS
Post by carolet
My aim is to make these postings as easily readable as possible, any
suggestions as to how to improve them will be considered. The posts
that come back to me all look like plain text, clearly that is not
the case to others, but I won't know unless you tell me.
They all look fine to me in Thunderbird, and thank you for doing this
every week, much appreciated.
<languid wave>
<languid wave> to that <languid wave>
And another <languid wave>. I don't know what a formfeed is, but I see
nothing amiss using NewsTap.
2018-09-12 17:55:06 UTC
<snip?
Post by LFS
Post by carolet
My aim is to make these postings as easily readable as possible, any
suggestions as to how to improve them will be considered. The posts
that come back to me all look like plain text, clearly that is not
the case to others, but I won't know unless you tell me.
They all look fine to me in Thunderbird, and thank you for doing this
every week, much appreciated.
<languid wave>
<languid wave> to that <languid wave>
And another <languid wave>. I don't know what a formfeed is, but I see
nothing amiss using NewsTap.
Like hitting a return key I think, so the ‘carriage’ jumps down a line.
2018-09-12 18:17:17 UTC
<snip?
Post by LFS
Post by carolet
My aim is to make these postings as easily readable as possible, any
suggestions as to how to improve them will be considered. The posts
that come back to me all look like plain text, clearly that is not
the case to others, but I won't know unless you tell me.
They all look fine to me in Thunderbird, and thank you for doing this
every week, much appreciated.
<languid wave>
<languid wave> to that <languid wave>
And another <languid wave>. I don't know what a formfeed is, but I see
nothing amiss using NewsTap.
Like hitting a return key I think, so the ‘carriage’ jumps down a line.
Advances a page. When printing on fanfold (back in the day) it would
advance to just beyond the next set of perforations.<CR><LF>
<FF>

Like that.

john (there's probably a <Page Break> stuck on the end of CaroleT's file)
BrritSki
Or more precisely, the form feeds upwards...
Vicky Ayech
All fine in Agent and thanks from me too.
Fenny
2018-09-12 17:09:23 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
Wotshesed! All looks fine in Agent.
Jane Vernon

2018-09-12 15:33:11 UTC
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 16:11:41 +0100, carolet <***@btinternet.com>
For the last few weeks (months?), there's been a formfeed after the
spoilers. Is there a reason?
I can only assume that this change coincided with the introduction of
the formfeed that you can see. Perhaps it is because I tend to do a
control-A to select the text, maybe I should select the text in a
different way, to avoid picking up any hidden characters at the end.
My aim is to make these postings as easily readable as possible, any
suggestions as to how to improve them will be considered. The posts that
come back to me all look like plain text, clearly that is not the case
to others, but I won't know unless you tell me.
They are very clear and readable - thank you.

The only oddity I notice is on the last line which I have sometimes
wondered about but it doesn't detract from the post. Is that a form feed?
2018-09-12 18:58:18 UTC
For the last few weeks (months?), there's been a formfeed after the
spoilers. Is there a reason?
I can only assume that this change coincided with the introduction of
the formfeed that you can see. Perhaps it is because I tend to do a
control-A to select the text, maybe I should select the text in a
different way, to avoid picking up any hidden characters at the end.
My aim is to make these postings as easily readable as possible, any
suggestions as to how to improve them will be considered. The posts that
come back to me all look like plain text, clearly that is not the case
to others, but I won't know unless you tell me.
They are very clear and readable - thank you.
The only oddity I notice is on the last line which I have sometimes
wondered about but it doesn't detract from the post. Is that a form feed?
<languid wave>

It's worth adding though that, when I press "Reply", it doesn't add the
extra space, which is the only way that it might, otherwise, be a nuisance.
If you are going through hell, keep going. (Winston Churchill)
DavidK
2018-09-13 12:56:01 UTC
The only oddity I notice is on the last line which I have sometimes
wondered about but it doesn't detract from the post. Is that a form feed?
--
I'm surprised it's so big (multiple lines), but yes. I expect most of us
remember using a typewriter (I still have my slide-rule) and we'll

IBM, the biggest player in town at the time, had three non-typing
characters to reflect this and they were called 'bel','ff', and 'lf'.
The end of any line of text would be followed by 'ff' (form-feed) and
'lf' (line-feed). When that uppity newcomer Unix came to the play-ground
they decided that the the form-feed was unnecessary and just put a
line-feed at the end.

This caused no-end of fun when moving text from one system to another.
DavidK
2018-09-13 13:00:03 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
What a load of cobblers, sorry umrats, John Ashby is right, see lower
down. I was confusing cariage-return, line-feed and form-feed
(paper-throw). It's been a long time and ageing mother woke me at 4:30.
John Ashby
2018-09-13 14:26:18 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by DavidK
[...]
Well,that's saved me a "Harrumph".

2018-09-13 15:43:50 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by DavidK
[...]
:)

My first ever computing task in 1967 was writing a program to print P60s
for Rolls-Royce Bristol Engines Division a 5 minute walk from home in
Coventry.

This was on the new-fangled 3rd generation IBM 360/30 with a whopping
32K bytes memory !

The Systems Analyst had carefully used the IBM printed sheet to design
the forms had ordered several boxes of them.

What he didn't know was the the form-design sheet was designed to be
used for ALL IBMs printers, and he'd used the full width of 142
characters, but our printer could only handle 132 (plus the control
character).

Luckily the printer could handle the paper width and the platten could
be moved left and right under the print heads, so I had to write two
programmes, one to print the left-hand side and another to print the
right-hand side. The operators wouldn't have anything to do with it so I
became quite adept at printing a box full of paper and then putting it
through again after aligning it perfectly. I got it wrong a couple of
times, but I wasted a lot less paper than if we'd have had to scrap the
whole lot and order some new forms in of the right size.

What larks !

Sally Thompson
2018-09-12 17:46:13 UTC
<snip>
Post by carolet
Carol Tregorran - Eleanor Bron
<faints>

Someone's found the key to the Cupboard of the Silents!
p***@never.here
2018-09-13 08:42:49 UTC
On 12 Sep 2018 17:46:13 GMT, Sally Thompson
<snip>
Post by carolet
Carol Tregorran - Eleanor Bron
<faints>
Someone's found the key to the Cupboard of the Silents!
+ 1 When I first opened Agent this morning and opened "Radio Times"
and read Eleanor Bron's name I thought the following 14 comments would
be about her reappearance, but no, the first 13 were about a problem
I'd never experienced and never knew existed. Ah well, at least the
14th fulfilled my expectations <g>
Pete
Sally Thompson
2018-09-13 10:56:00 UTC
Post by carolet
Carol Tregorran - Eleanor Bron
<faints>
Someone's found the key to the Cupboard of the Silents!
+ 1 When I first opened Agent this morning and opened "Radio Times"
and read Eleanor Bron's name I thought the following 14 comments would
be about her reappearance, but no, the first 13 were about a problem
I'd never experienced and never knew existed. Ah well, at least the
14th fulfilled my expectations <g>
Ah yes, service with a smile:-)
(Down, Britters!)