OT Summer Holidays
Tony Smith
2021-04-04 09:10:31 UTC
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?

We are planning a trip to Orkney.
krw
2021-04-04 10:54:20 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
May - Yorkshire & Northumberland

July - Rye

August - Cropredy

September - Buxton and Liverpool

Sept / Oct - Portugal

Xmas - Austria and Italy

Possible trip to Wales in September if the railways can start operating
normally rather than the proposed strange timetables and rules.
2021-04-04 11:30:09 UTC
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 11:54:20 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Possible trip to Wales in September if the railways can start operating
normally rather than the proposed strange timetables and rules.
Possibly not what you meant (and I no longer live on the line), but I know
the WLLR was running weekday trains to the end of September last year (and
weekends through October). They've made no promises beyond June so far this
year but I'm sure they will run through the summer if they can.
2021-04-04 21:29:00 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
Possible trip to Wales in September if the railways can start operating
normally rather than the proposed strange timetables and rules.
Possibly not what you meant (and I no longer live on the line), but I know
the WLLR was running weekday trains to the end of September last year (and
weekends through October). They've made no promises beyond June so far this
year but I'm sure they will run through the summer if they can.
Indeed it is on the list which is as follows:

Saturday:
WLLR & Llangollen Railway (assuming it has new ownership & is operating)

Sunday
Bala Lake Railway and Llanberis Lake Railway

Monday
Festiniog & West Highland - assuming both stop playing silly billies
only running over part of the line

Tuesday
Talylyn Railway and if running Fairbourne Railway

Wednesday
Aberystwyth Cliff Lift and VoR

Thursday
Gwili if running, I doubt Teifi will be running

Friday
Depends on what is running but would like to do Pontypool & Blaenavon
and the Brecon Mountain Railway, Suspect Barry Railway not possible.

Saturday
Dean Forest Railway and if running Perrygrove Railway.

Your challenge is to name the non-national Rail lines I am not planning
to cover.

Some pretty challenging driving needed too - hence the need for sensible
timetables.

For pretty obvious reasons the good lady wife is not joining me on this
jaunt.
2021-04-05 08:29:46 UTC
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 22:29:00 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
dust...
Post by krw
[...]
I think I'll pass on that.
Post by krw
Some pretty challenging driving needed too - hence the need for sensible
timetables.
You're not kidding! I hope you've assumed an average road speed of 30mph in
that schedule and pre-booked accommodation.
2021-04-05 10:00:29 UTC
dust...
dust...
Post by krw
Some pretty challenging driving needed too - hence the need for sensible
timetables.
You're not kidding! I hope you've assumed an average road speed of 30mph in
that schedule and pre-booked accommodation.
Not gone that far yet as I need sensible railway timetables to plan the
road journeys. I envisage starting the day having spent the night close
to the first line listed, catching the morning train, then moving on and
catching the last afternoon train and then moving to the booked
accommodation for the next day. But we shall see.
2021-04-05 14:18:31 UTC
On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 11:00:29 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Not gone that far yet as I need sensible railway timetables to plan the
road journeys.
Of course you may not be allowed in Wales at all...

I understand I am now allowed to venture further than the supermarket but
have not done so. I need a very good reason to go far from home around bank
holiday weekends.
steve hague
2021-04-05 15:37:15 UTC
dust...
dust...
Post by krw
Some pretty challenging driving needed too - hence the need for sensible
timetables.
You're not kidding! I hope you've assumed an average road speed of 30mph in
that schedule and pre-booked accommodation.
KRW is a master on these things. He spends more time on holiday than I
do at home.😊
krw
2021-04-06 15:48:34 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by Penny
dust...
dust...
Post by krw
Some pretty challenging driving needed too - hence the need for sensible
timetables.
You're not kidding! I hope you've assumed an average road speed of 30mph in
that schedule and pre-booked accommodation.
KRW is a master on these things. He spends more time on holiday than I
do at home.😊
Not in the last 12 months I regret to say. It is now well over a year
since I went on one of those flying things in the sky - oh yes aeroplane
- and planned trips to France (for both of us) and Israel (for the good
lady wife) have already been cancelled this year.

I am hopeful of getting to Yorkieland and Northumberland in May but I
see that come September the Third Wave will be killing us all off and we
will be locked up which will do for Portugal for a second time.
2021-04-05 12:15:23 UTC
the WLLR was running weekday trains to the end of September last year (and
weekends through October). They've made no promises beyond June so far this
year but I'm sure they will run through the summer if they can.
Your challenge is to name the non-national Rail lines I am not planning
to cover.
[]
I didn't spot the (Mount) Snowdon rack railway, assuming it still exists
(I went up in 197x).

Grief generates a huge energy in you and it's better for everybody if you
harness it to do something. - Judi Dench, RT 2015/2/28-3/6
krw
2021-04-05 13:11:05 UTC
the WLLR was running weekday trains to the end of September last year (and
weekends through October). They've made no promises beyond June so far this
year but I'm sure they will run through the summer if they can.
Your challenge is to name the non-national Rail lines I am not
planning to cover.
[]
I didn't spot the (Mount) Snowdon rack railway, assuming it still exists
(I went up in 197x).
Correct. The good lady wife has given instructions that I may only do
that with her in attendance.

There are a few other missing possibilities.
2021-04-05 15:50:13 UTC
dust...
Post by krw
[...]
Good luck with the Llangollen.

2021-04-06 15:52:06 UTC
Post by Chris
dust...
Post by krw
[...]
Sincerely Chris
They kept taking on contracts to rebuild steam locos to earn money.
Only either they were (allegedly) not very good at it or had no idea how
much rebuilding a steam loco might cost (I understand that you think of
a number before starting, take it apart, multiply the original figure by
pi, send bits to third parties who sound like the average car repair
shop whistling through their teeth and you double the second number you
thought of and then think about adding a 100% contingency. But if you
offer a fixed price overhaul as someone allegedly might have done then
the entire railway can go bust.
2021-04-06 16:05:59 UTC
Post by Chris
dust...
Post by krw
[...]
I read “Steam Railway”. LOL.

2021-04-06 21:09:16 UTC
On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 16:52:06 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Chris
Good luck with the Llangollen.
Sincerely Chris
They kept taking on contracts to rebuild steam locos to earn money.
Only either they were (allegedly) not very good at it or had no idea how
much rebuilding a steam loco might cost (I understand that you think of
a number before starting, take it apart, multiply the original figure by
pi, send bits to third parties who sound like the average car repair
shop whistling through their teeth and you double the second number you
thought of and then think about adding a 100% contingency. But if you
offer a fixed price overhaul as someone allegedly might have done then
the entire railway can go bust.
Rebuilding locos was something the lads at the Bredgar & Wormshill used to
do, after buying and transporting them from far-flung sugar plantations and
such. It's not a poor man's game. Big Bill died last year and I believe a
lot of the locos, cars etc have been sold, but Young Bill decided to take
on the property and they may be open for a few Sundays this year.
2021-04-07 11:25:00 UTC
Rebuilding locos was something the lads at the Bredgar & Wormshill used to
do,
One of many railways to which I have not been.
2021-04-07 11:52:42 UTC
On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 12:25:00 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Rebuilding locos was something the lads at the Bredgar & Wormshill used to
do,
One of many railways to which I have not been.
A very reasonable exclusion.
It was never a 'real' railway which had been restored and revived.
Pleasant place, lovely people, generous philosophy.
It also housed a large collection of Bean vehicles, including a steam bus -
I think they've all gone now.
Tony Smith
2021-04-04 14:25:47 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
<snipped>
Sept / Oct - Portugal
Xmas - Austria and Italy
<snipped>

That's further ahead than we have dared book. CORVID permitting I would like to be in Madrid in September and at a German Christmas market in December.
Tony Smith
2021-04-28 18:14:22 UTC
On Sunday, 4 April 2021 at 15:25:48 UTC+1, Tony Smith wrote:

<snipped>
The event in Madrid has been cancelled. :-(
Sid Nuncius
2021-04-29 04:55:28 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
<snipped>
Post by Tony Smith
That's further ahead than we have dared book. CORVID permitting I would like to be in Madrid in September and at a German Christmas market in December.
The event in Madrid has been cancelled. :-(
Sorry to hear that. Perhaps you could visit the Taj Mahal instead?
--
Sid

2021-04-29 17:48:47 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Tony Smith
<snipped>
Post by Tony Smith
That's further ahead than we have dared book. CORVID permitting I would
like to be in Madrid in September and at a German Christmas market in December.
The event in Madrid has been cancelled.   :-(
Sorry to hear that.  Perhaps you could visit the Taj Mahal instead?
BTN!!!
Yes.
<beam>
--
Sid
Tony Smith
2021-04-29 08:59:20 UTC
On Thursday, 29 April 2021 at 05:55:31 UTC+1, Sid Nuncius wrote:

<snipped>
It's only doing take-aways at the moment.
krw
2021-04-29 09:22:34 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
<snipped>
Post by Sid Nuncius
Perhaps you could visit the Taj Mahal instead?
It's only doing take-aways at the moment.
Now that did make me laugh. BTN!
2021-04-29 09:40:53 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
<snipped>
Post by Sid Nuncius
Perhaps you could visit the Taj Mahal instead?
It's only doing take-aways at the moment.
Now that did make me laugh. BTN!
There is a BBQ service....
2021-04-29 12:25:47 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by krw
Post by Tony Smith
<snipped>
Post by Sid Nuncius
Perhaps you could visit the Taj Mahal instead?
It's only doing take-aways at the moment.
Now that did make me laugh. BTN!
There is a BBQ service....
BTN!
Oh God, help us not to despise or oppose what we do not understand
(William Penn)
John Ashby

2021-04-29 18:46:52 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Tony Smith
<snipped>
Post by Sid Nuncius
Perhaps you could visit the Taj Mahal instead?
It's only doing take-aways at the moment.
Now that did make me laugh.  BTN!
There is a BBQ service....
BTN!
Yes
<beam>
It's not what happens to you; it's what you do about it that makes the
difference. (W. Mitchell)
Mike McMillan
2021-04-30 07:49:45 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Tony Smith
<snipped>
Post by Sid Nuncius
Perhaps you could visit the Taj Mahal instead?
It's only doing take-aways at the moment.
Now that did make me laugh.  BTN!
There is a BBQ service....
BTN!
Yes
<beam>
Do you want ketchup, onion or some mayo with your beam?
2021-04-29 12:18:37 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
<snipped>
Post by Sid Nuncius
Perhaps you could visit the Taj Mahal instead?
It's only doing take-aways at the moment.
Now that did make me laugh.  BTN!
Not quite there. Sorry but No.

2021-04-04 12:02:45 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
RG6 1HH and the occasional bus ride.
2021-04-04 13:10:04 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
RG6 1HH and the occasional bus ride.
I'm planning a trip to the deep south next month, with a visit to
Portsea Island for my second jab. Beyond that, I'm hoping for the odd
trip out as far as the post box.
Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals
(Winston Churchill)
Vicky Ayech
2021-04-04 17:08:31 UTC
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 14:10:04 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
RG6 1HH and the occasional bus ride.
I'm planning a trip to the deep south next month, with a visit to
Portsea Island for my second jab. Beyond that, I'm hoping for the odd
trip out as far as the post box.
I'm hoping to meet older daughter and her two children at London Zoo
when the second lot of tickets are released. We both joined last year
but members can only book once in each booking period and she's booked
once already.
Sid Nuncius
2021-04-05 07:21:42 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
RG6 1HH and the occasional bus ride.
I'm planning a trip to the deep south next month, with a visit to
Portsea Island for my second jab.  Beyond that, I'm hoping for the odd
trip out as far as the post box.
Blimey - life in the fast lane, Serena! I'll be happy if the people
upstairs go back to work, school and the gym and stop smashing on our
ceiling while practicing martial arts for hours a day so we can go into
the living room a bit more.
--
Sid
Tony Smith
2021-04-05 09:28:24 UTC
On Sunday, 4 April 2021 at 14:10:05 UTC+1, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
<snipped>
Post by Serena Blanchflower
trip out as far as the post box.
There are a couple of exotic post boxes I would like to see. One is in use in St Peter Port, the other in a museum in Dublin.
But they may never reach the top of my list.
Nick Odell
2021-04-05 12:59:44 UTC
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 02:10:31 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
My sole reason for travel has always been to visit people though I may
have taken some diversions on the way. So let's have a look at the
possibilities.

Argentina - closed
Australia - closed
Canada - closed
USA - sort-of open but c'mon now, you cannot be serious?

So for the time being it's Huddersfield.

2021-04-05 15:50:14 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
My sole reason for travel has always been to visit people though I may
have taken some diversions on the way. So let's have a look at the
possibilities.
Argentina - closed
Australia - closed
Canada - closed
USA - sort-of open but c'mon now, you cannot be serious?
So for the time being it's Huddersfield.
Nick
Oh dear. You have been sat on ‘the naughty step’, Nick

2021-04-05 20:52:22 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
My sole reason for travel has always been to visit people though I may
have taken some diversions on the way. So let's have a look at the
possibilities.
Argentina - closed
Australia - closed
Canada - closed
USA - sort-of open but c'mon now, you cannot be serious?
So for the time being it's Huddersfield.
At least the US has undergone a regime change.
steve hague
change.
Nick Odell
2021-04-07 10:49:35 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
My sole reason for travel has always been to visit people though I may
have taken some diversions on the way. So let's have a look at the
possibilities.
Argentina - closed
Australia - closed
Canada - closed
USA - sort-of open but c'mon now, you cannot be serious?
So for the time being it's Huddersfield.
At least the US has undergone a regime change.
From extreme right wing to slightly less right wing, so yes, a bit of a
change.
I view Biden as a Republican cast in the Eisenhower mould so not that
right wing at all. But it shows how the political landscape has
shifted to the right that modern Republicans look with contempt at
Biden as the next-worst thing to a Communist - a Socialist.

Nick
Tony Smith
2021-04-30 15:50:50 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
Weird. I think Pentland Ferries get their s/w from the Post Office's suppliers.

I have just tried to book my ferries on-line. When I printed the itinerary off, the dates were wrong. When I rang their office it turned out the booking number was also wrong but the booking itself (identified on their system by the car reg.) was itself correct. They sent me a new email with the correct details of travel and a different booking ref.
Jenny M Benson
2021-04-30 18:37:25 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Weird. I think Pentland Ferries get their s/w from the Post Office's suppliers.
Likewise Asda, I think.

I wanted a rosé wine box and they didn't have any, so I did a search for
"white wine box" and I was offered 3 choices. One was a Sauvignon, one
a Chenin and one was just called White Wine and came from one of the
South American countries. Not being a con-osser of white wines I rang
my sister for advice and sat for a while with the 3 offers showing on
screen while we discussed, and then I selected the White Wine.

It was only after the delivery driver had departed that I noticed that I
had been given the Red Wine version of the same brand as the White Wine.
I then checked my order and it did indeed include Red Wine. There's
no way I would have searched for or deliberately seleced red wine, but
there was no chance for error with only the 3 white wines being shown on
screen.

I can only assume a glitch in Asda's system which connected a click on
"White Wine" with their code for "Red Wine."

I e-mailed Asda to explain and complain but I got no response. So what
with all that plus no Sharwood's Mango Chutney, I 'm very dis-chuffed.
2021-04-30 19:11:20 UTC
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:37:25 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Tony Smith
[...]
I feel for you. At least you hadn't selected the red whereas I have
only myself to blame.

I was shopping at Asda pre-Christmas (a 2am excursion to the 24hr
store so I wouldn't have to breathe other people's Coronavirus
particles) and I decided it would be nice to have a wine box in the
kitchen and just help myself now and again[1] whilst cooking.

I wanted a red. The wine boxes that promised a specific variety were
ludicrously over-priced in my opinion. Then there was the box that
just said "Red Wine." It wasn't cheap either so how bad could it be?

The answer is: very bad indeed.

Many litres of highly spiced, mulled wine and an interminable number
of cooking sauces later I finally finished it off. Won't do that
again.

Nick
[1]And again, and again
Jenny M Benson
2021-04-30 22:00:35 UTC
I wanted a red. The wine boxes that promised a specific variety were
ludicrously over-priced in my opinion. Then there was the box that
just said "Red Wine." It wasn't cheap either so how bad could it be?
The answer is: very bad indeed.
Oh dear - I gave my unwanted box of Red Wine to my sister:-(
Min
2021-05-01 00:43:03 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Tony Smith
[...]
Did you try it with Coca-Cola?
Min
Nick Odell
2021-05-01 09:17:32 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Tony Smith
[...]
Erme - no. Should I have done?

Nick
Min
2021-05-06 03:17:21 UTC
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Tony Smith
[...]
It does make dodgy red wine taste more palatable - believe it or not!
Min
Sam Plusnet
2021-05-01 21:20:52 UTC
I wanted a red. The wine boxes that promised a specific variety were
ludicrously over-priced in my opinion. Then there was the box that
just said "Red Wine." It wasn't cheap either so how bad could it be?
The answer is: very bad indeed.
That reminded me of our earliest holidays in France many years ago.
Astonished at how cheap, cheap red wine could be, we bought the cheapest
the supermarket could offer.
The first glass tasted terrible. The second was... not as bad.
.
.
.
I don't remember much else about that holiday.
2021-05-01 22:21:51 UTC
I wanted a red. The wine boxes that promised a specific variety were
ludicrously over-priced in my opinion. Then there was the box that
just said "Red Wine." It wasn't cheap either so how bad could it be?
The answer is: very bad indeed.
That reminded me of our earliest holidays in France many years ago.
Astonished at how cheap, cheap red wine could be, we bought the cheapest
the supermarket could offer.
The first glass tasted terrible. The second was... not as bad.
.
.
.
I don't remember much else about that holiday.
:-)
Our first forays into France were during the booze cruise years and we
marvelled at the massive selection of wine at such affordable prices.
But which ones to buy? So we followed some of the local residents
around the wine section and whatever they bought, we bought too. It
turned out to be a pretty good plan and we even brought the
deposit-paid empties back next time.

Nick
Min
2021-05-01 23:58:53 UTC
I wanted a red. The wine boxes that promised a specific variety were
ludicrously over-priced in my opinion. Then there was the box that
just said "Red Wine." It wasn't cheap either so how bad could it be?
The answer is: very bad indeed.
That reminded me of our earliest holidays in France many years ago.
Astonished at how cheap, cheap red wine could be, we bought the cheapest
the supermarket could offer.
The first glass tasted terrible. The second was... not as bad.
.
.
.
I don't remember much else about that holiday.
Many years ago, my chap and I nearly had a stand up fight in an Off-Licence
in Paris, where we'd stopped to spend our (few) FF to geet snacks and booze -
until I pointed out that we had been vehemently arguing over a difference of
(about) 30p. We spent the entire (train and hovercraft) trip back pushing sugar
and/or sugar cubes into aforementioned red wine simply to make it palatable.
Min
Sally Thompson
2021-05-11 08:50:13 UTC
I wanted a red. The wine boxes that promised a specific variety were
ludicrously over-priced in my opinion. Then there was the box that
just said "Red Wine." It wasn't cheap either so how bad could it be?
The answer is: very bad indeed.
That reminded me of our earliest holidays in France many years ago.
Astonished at how cheap, cheap red wine could be, we bought the cheapest
the supermarket could offer.
The first glass tasted terrible. The second was... not as bad.
.
.
.
This reminds me of the holiday I had on one of the Greek islands many many
years ago with a friend. We ordered wine and it was undrinkable even for
us, so we left half the bottle/carafe (can't remember). The following
evening we went back to eat, and the waiter proudly produced the remainder
for us.
2021-04-30 19:30:49 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Tony Smith
What are rats and ratettes doing this summer?
We are planning a trip to Orkney.
Weird. I think Pentland Ferries get their s/w from the Post Office's suppliers.
I have just tried to book my ferries on-line. When I printed the
itinerary off, the dates were wrong. When I rang their office it turned
out the booking number was also wrong but the booking itself (identified
on their system by the car reg.) was itself correct. They sent me a new
email with the correct details of travel and a different booking ref.
A holiday on the HORIZON?