OT: All very interesting but...
2020-03-17 19:13:59 UTC
I´m disappointed to see how umra is shying away from the real business
of the moment and indulging in displacement activities. Sorry, but
discussing mortality or the lack of it, moaning about Waitrose no
longer stocking ones favourite fois grass and so on is just avoiding
the inevitable.

Ladies and gentlemen, umrats all, we have to get to work and compile

The Coronavirus Song Book.

Obviously first on the list must be Bo Carter and his well-covered
1928 recording Corona, Corona.

Then I´d say Paul Simon taught us how to self isolate in 1965 with I
Am A Rock

And who was the visionary here? HG Wells or Jeff Lynn?
"The chances of anything coming from SARS...."

(I would add that we could include anything by that Wrecking Ball gal,
Miley Virus but I don´t enjoy her stuff that much)

Any other suggestions?

Clive Arthur
2020-03-18 09:22:38 UTC
Nick Odell <***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Nick Odell
Any other suggestions?
Four dead in Ohio.
--
Cheers
Clive
Clive Arthur
2020-03-17 17:23:58 UTC
[...]
My Corona by The Knack?
--
Cheers
Clive
BrritSki
Bat out of Hell.
Chris J Dixon
2020-03-17 19:17:51 UTC
Ladies and gentlemen, umrats all, we have to get to work and compile
The Coronavirus Song Book.
Obviously first on the list must be Bo Carter and his well-covered
1928 recording Corona, Corona.
Then I´d say Paul Simon taught us how to self isolate in 1965 with I
Am A Rock
And who was the visionary here? HG Wells or Jeff Lynn?
"The chances of anything coming from SARS...."
(I would add that we could include anything by that Wrecking Ball gal,
Miley Virus but I don´t enjoy her stuff that much)
Any other suggestions?
Keep Your Distance

Dimming of the Day

Rolling Home

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-03-17 19:39:14 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
Ladies and gentlemen, umrats all, we have to get to work and compile
The Coronavirus Song Book.
Obviously first on the list must be Bo Carter and his well-covered
1928 recording Corona, Corona.
Then I´d say Paul Simon taught us how to self isolate in 1965 with I
Am A Rock
And who was the visionary here? HG Wells or Jeff Lynn?
"The chances of anything coming from SARS...."
(I would add that we could include anything by that Wrecking Ball gal,
Miley Virus but I don´t enjoy her stuff that much)
Any other suggestions?
Keep Your Distance
Dimming of the Day
Rolling Home
All over Italy they know his concertina
Poppa Pangolino, Poppa Pangolino

Covid a-killed the radio star

Oxygene by JM Jarre
BrritSki
Every breath you take
Sid Nuncius
2020-03-17 20:03:17 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Congratulations, self-isolations...
Trains And Boats And...oh, nugger.
Joe Kerr
2020-03-17 20:56:03 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
You could try anything by Lou Rawls, but it can be difficult to find
these days.
Ric
Rosalind Mitchell
I'm Ill With The Ill Crowd - Dobie Gray
Sid Nuncius
2020-03-17 23:12:02 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
I'm Ill With The Ill Crowd - Dobie Gray
:o)

Dobie Gray's major hit may also be appropriate: Drift Away.

2020-03-18 11:53:16 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
That’s torn it then.
2020-03-20 17:39:15 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
So we can’t blame you for Evan Davis playing some bloke I’ve never heard of
singing this between the weather and next news prog .....

Poison Ivy - the lyrics.
Nick Odell
2020-03-18 16:01:17 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
Ladies and gentlemen, umrats all, we have to get to work and compile
The Coronavirus Song Book.
Obviously first on the list must be Bo Carter and his well-covered
1928 recording Corona, Corona.
Then I´d say Paul Simon taught us how to self isolate in 1965 with I
Am A Rock
And who was the visionary here? HG Wells or Jeff Lynn?
"The chances of anything coming from SARS...."
(I would add that we could include anything by that Wrecking Ball gal,
Miley Virus but I don´t enjoy her stuff that much)
Any other suggestions?
Keep Your Distance
Dimming of the Day
Rolling Home
We have got stranded people all over the place. Technically I am
stranded here in Argentina but I was never trying to escape. But my
son´s in-laws are in Peru with no reasonable opportunity of getting
home to Canada, Liliana´s younger daughter is trying to get back home
from Brazil and friends of her eldest daugher are in England after
hving been abandoned by their airline. There´is an empty house in
Huddersfield (quellle surprise?) and I have offered it in case that is
any help.

...which is all a big lead up to saying my Richard Thompson song of
the moment is...

When I get to the border.

2020-03-18 13:25:15 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
:-)

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-03-18 14:24:01 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
[...]

I went to the Bronco Lane at Tesco's [1] today but it was empty, apart
from Easter Eggs !

Nice to see though that the Food Bank deposit was full again today
(unless they never emptied it yesterday).

[1] If you are looking for pasta, go to the tills - there are packs
there that have been confiscated from hoarders :/
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-18 14:33:15 UTC
I went to the Bronco Lane at Tesco's [1] today but it was empty, apart
from Easter Eggs !
Yes, the chap who delivered my Tesco order, yesterday, said that the
shop was largely stripped bare, apart from huge heaps of Easter Eggs.
When I mentioned this, on FB, my niece posted photos from her recent
shopping trip with bare shelves, but lots of prossecco.
Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals
(Winston Churchill)
Jenny M Benson
2020-03-18 14:53:34 UTC
Yes, the chap who delivered my Tesco order, yesterday,
You're the second Umrat who has mentioned a very recent grocery
delivery. When did you order? I've looked at As, Sains, Tes, Morr &
Ice in the last few days and the earliest I could get a delivery was
Asda next Monday. Of the others, I just forget which was which but 3
had no slots available at all and the other had some starting from next
Tues.

I went to our local Spar-type on Monday for milk and bread and it seemed
quite well stocked.
Wrexham, UK
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-18 15:13:28 UTC
Yes, the chap who delivered my Tesco order, yesterday,
You're the second Umrat who has mentioned a very recent grocery
delivery.  When did you order?  I've looked at As, Sains, Tes, Morr &
Ice in the last few days and the earliest I could get a delivery was
Asda next Monday.  Of the others, I just forget which was which but 3
had no slots available at all and the other had some starting from next
Tues.
I went to our local Spar-type on Monday for milk and bread and it seemed
quite well stocked.
Because I routinely get an order every week and have a definite
preference for which slot(s) I like, I always book my delivery slots as
they become availabe, three weeks in advance. I then add or change the
contents nearer the time.

I've just checked with my local Tesco and they're now fully booked up
till Monday 13th April :(
Morality is doing what's right regardless of what you're told. Obedience
is doing what you're told regardless of what is right (H.L. Mencken)
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-18 15:15:40 UTC
[...]
I should have added that, as with the vanishing loo rolls, I'm sure some
of those will have been booked by people who aren't sure they acutally
need one but think they'd better book their slot, just in case.
Q. What song did Cinderella sing as she waited four months for her
photos to come back from the chemist?
A. 'Some day my prints will come!'
Mike
2020-03-18 15:44:56 UTC
[...]
Thus *wiping out* the opportunity for anyone else.
2020-03-18 23:32:48 UTC
[...]
It might be time to invest in one of those Bidet add-on kits which you
can attach to your loo.

Wash not wipe.
2020-03-18 15:51:22 UTC
[...]
It seems to me that it would make sense if they rejigged their delivery
schedules. Many more people would like home deliveries at the moment,
and many more are at home all day so may not be too bothered when it
comes. If they could re-order deliveries so that each delivery van is
full of deliveries to a certain part of town, rather than scattered all
over, then they ought to be able to squeeze in more deliveries per van.
People who say that they are happy for the delivery to come whenever
they are going to somebody else in the area could be offered a discount
on the delivery charge.
2020-03-18 16:29:15 UTC
It seems to me that it would make sense if they rejigged their delivery
schedules. Many more people would like home deliveries at the moment,
and many more are at home all day so may not be too bothered when it
comes. If they could re-order deliveries so that each delivery van is
full of deliveries to a certain part of town, rather than scattered all
over, then they ought to be able to squeeze in more deliveries per van.
People who say that they are happy for the delivery to come whenever
they are going to somebody else in the area could be offered a discount
on the delivery charge.
That's brilliant. Just the sort of weirdo off-the-wall cleverness that
Cummings is looking for. Have you applied ;)
Jenny M Benson
2020-03-18 16:31:35 UTC
It seems to me that it would make sense if they rejigged their delivery
schedules. Many more people would like home deliveries at the moment,
and many more are at home all day so may not be too bothered when it
comes. If they could re-order deliveries so that each delivery van is
full of deliveries to a certain part of town, rather than scattered all
over, then they ought to be able to squeeze in more deliveries per van.
People who say that they are happy for the delivery to come whenever
they are going to somebody else in the area could be offered a discount
on the delivery charge.
I umbrella which supermarket it was, but there certainly *used* to be
one in this area which showed which slots already had a delivery in the
area. I think it must have been Iceland because I used them quite
frequently a few years ago. Can't check now whether they still do that
because they aren't showing *any* slots available!

I think deliveries were free anyway (possibly if over a certain spend)
so the benefit was ethical rather than financial.
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-18 17:59:41 UTC
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 16:31:35 +0000, Jenny M Benson
[...]
I think both Tescos and Morrisons did this. Ok just checked Tescos. No
slots before 8/4! No green van option so it must be Morrisons that
is giving the option to fill the van.
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-18 18:12:29 UTC
I think both Tescos and Morrisons did this. Ok just checked Tescos. No
slots before 8/4! No green van option so it must be Morrisons that
is giving the option to fill the van.
Tesco has a Flexi Saver Option, where you can pick a 4 hour slot, with a
reduced delivery charge, and they'll tell you which 1 hour slot you will
receive your delivery in. I haven't tried that, so I don't know how
well it works in practice.
Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out of it alive. (Elbert
Hubbard)
Kate B
2020-03-19 17:52:53 UTC
I think both Tescos and Morrisons did this. Ok just checked Tescos. No
slots before 8/4!   No green van option so it must be Morrisons that
is giving the option to fill the van.
Tesco has a Flexi Saver Option, where you can pick a 4 hour slot, with a
reduced delivery charge, and they'll tell you which 1 hour slot you will
receive your delivery in.  I haven't tried that, so I don't know how
well it works in practice.
I'll tell you tomorrow - flexislot between 2 and 6. Last week it was
supposed to be between 12 and 1 and ended up at 2.15.
2020-03-18 18:20:27 UTC
[...]
Sainsbury's do that. They show a little green van against the slot, so you
can pick a "green" slot, but without any financial incentive - just an
environmental one.
2020-03-23 10:25:14 UTC
[...]
Over £35 via t’internet, £25 in the shop

2020-03-18 17:55:43 UTC
[...]
The supermarkets are planning to organise more delivery slots and more
shelf fillers. And they do have the option to agree to a delivery time
when a van will already be in your area and so fill the van.They've
always had that.
Vicky Ayech
2020-03-18 17:53:40 UTC
On Wed, 18 Mar 2020 15:13:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
[...]
I book well ahead too, 2-3 weeks. I can't manage a big weekly shop now
myself but was managing top up ones. I decided to get everything now
from the delivery but small potatoes from the one last night,
Morrisons, tend to be wet and rot quickly, or sprout too soon, so I
decided to go early this morning to Asda on my way to a walk.

I was there at 7 and the carpark was full, disabled bays too, with
badges as far as I saw. The store was rammed full and it was very
unpleasant and I felt quite upset and nervous. It is usually not at
all full at that time. There were queues even at the self service
checkouts, never mind manned ones, and I felt I was pushing through
crowds. I had only got 4 items including the potatoes and was inand
out in 8 minutes but felt really upset. I calmed down after a walk in
the park, but will not go there again.

Sainsburys have now said they will open with an hour for people who
are disabled or vulnerable or OAPs and presumably will re-stock before
the 7.a.m opening. I suppose if I really need something I would go
then, and they also have Lloyds, our designated chemist in that store.
I wonder if they will turn away people who are not in the category
catered for. How will they know who is? People are not considerate so
will take advantage of the re-stocking.
Kate B
2020-03-19 10:56:06 UTC
[...]
Our Tesco is only booking up exactly three weeks ahead. Yesterday
everything was booked solid up until April 7th. I woke up at 4 am
worrying about that and other things, got up and went online to see if
April 8th had become free and it had, so I booked a slot quickly. This
morning when I looked just now nothing was available.

Some supermarkets are saying they will prioritise the elderly and the
self-isolating, but although I have put this in the delivery information
box I see no obvious way to claim any priority. Serena, do they know
about you and give you special access at all? Or do you just book your
slots in the early hours too?
2020-03-19 11:30:21 UTC
Post by Kate B
Our Tesco is only booking up exactly three weeks ahead. Yesterday
everything was booked solid up until April 7th. I woke up at 4 am
worrying about that and other things, got up and went online to see if
April 8th had become free and it had, so I booked a slot quickly. This
morning when I looked just now nothing was available.
Some supermarkets are saying they will prioritise the elderly and the
self-isolating, but although I have put this in the delivery information
box I see no obvious way to claim any priority. Serena, do they know
about you and give you special access at all? Or do you just book your
slots in the early hours too?
I can see slots up to the 21st April free. I booked for 7th a few days
ago. I think I get priority booking because I have a delivery saver
deal. I pay for that.
Kate B
2020-03-19 17:55:37 UTC
Post by Kate B
Our Tesco is only booking up exactly three weeks ahead. Yesterday
everything was booked solid up until April 7th. I woke up at 4 am
worrying about that and other things, got up and went online to see if
April 8th had become free and it had, so I booked a slot quickly. This
morning when I looked just now nothing was available.
Some supermarkets are saying they will prioritise the elderly and the
self-isolating, but although I have put this in the delivery information
box I see no obvious way to claim any priority. Serena, do they know
about you and give you special access at all? Or do you just book your
slots in the early hours too?
I can see slots up to the 21st April free. I booked for 7th a few days
ago. I think I get priority booking because I have a delivery saver
deal. I pay for that.
I've now also got a Delivery Saver Deal, but nothing beyond April 8th.
Perhaps it varies between areas and London is too congested anyway.
2020-03-19 13:38:42 UTC
Post by Kate B
Some supermarkets are saying they will prioritise the elderly and the
self-isolating,
As today was my usual shopping day, and may well be the last
until the all-clear sounds (1), I thought I would take advantage
of the priority for the first hour, and go in a little earlier
than is my custom.

At 8:15 the car park (2) was well-filled, and the trolleys were
almost all in use. I got much of my intended shopping, but there
were indeed many of the expected shortages (3). The checkout
queues snaked up the aisles, making shopping tricky - you had to
keep leaving your trolley and diving into the melee.

It took the best part of 20 minutes to clear the checkout, making
something of a mockery of safe-distancing.

By the time I left, the queues were reducing and there was plenty
of space in the car park.

I popped into Tesco's nearby, found a couple of things I needed.
It was by then fairly empty, with tape marks around the checkout
to enforce safe-distancing.

The disappearance of stocks of flour of all kinds makes me wonder
exactly what everybody is going to be baking. Some folk must have
just grabbed whatever was left, in desperation, and may well get
interesting culinary results.

(1) I remember that in the 50s our local sirens were tested by
sounding the all-clear at IIRC 13:00 each Friday.

(2) Loughborough Sainsbury's, clockwise.

(3) No stockpiling for me, just replenishing store-cupboard items
as they have been used. Fortunately I generally do this well in
advance, so there is time to try again when stocks have
recovered.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-03-19 13:53:27 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Kate B
[...]
Chris
I have got stores of some things but not acquired recently. I always
keep stores just in case as was a mother of two with absent navy
husbad. And also I get deliveries weekly and the supermarkets I get
them from give offers that they notify you about when you book online.
I love offers. You would not believe how many jars of the sweetner I
use I have. As well as coffee which I think I mentioned. I got 4 jars
of chutney on Tuesday and B asked why. It was half price! The
supermarkets only yesterday said they would stop giving those offers,
which are a bit ridiculous if there is a limit of 3 items per
customer. And one offer a couple of months ago was the brand of
toilet paper we use. ;) Not bought any since.
Chris J Dixon
2020-03-19 14:23:52 UTC
I got 4 jars
of chutney on Tuesday and B asked why. It was half price! The
supermarkets only yesterday said they would stop giving those offers,
which are a bit ridiculous if there is a limit of 3 items per
customer.
We use quite a lot of tinned chopped tomatoes in our bulk
cooking, so I was pleased that two four-packs were acceptable
(1). I also had 4 x 2 pint milk containers, simply because the 4
pint ones are so unwieldy and also hard to fit in the fridge.

(1) Not only that, one of then qualified for 60 extra Nectar
points online.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2020-03-19 14:49:28 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 13:53:27 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
I have got stores of some things but not acquired recently. I always
keep stores just in case as was a mother of two with absent navy
husbad. And also I get deliveries weekly and the supermarkets I get
them from give offers that they notify you about when you book online.
I love offers. You would not believe how many jars of the sweetner I
use I have. As well as coffee which I think I mentioned. I got 4 jars
of chutney on Tuesday and B asked why. It was half price! The
supermarkets only yesterday said they would stop giving those offers,
which are a bit ridiculous if there is a limit of 3 items per
customer. And one offer a couple of months ago was the brand of
toilet paper we use. ;) Not bought any since.
I too usually keep good stocks but looking around I'm not as well-stocked
as I thought I was. I chucked out 2 'blown' tins of baked beans* this week
- they don't tin things like they used to - and some other stuff is well
out-of-date, including flour. I tend not to bake just for me - I'd only eat
it leaving no room for 'real' food. For reasons I can't explain I have 3
full bottles of Fairy liquid yet canned fish stocks are very low.

*Not something I usually buy, I probably got those in for Ray when I was
going off to stay with a daughter. I think he brought his boys up on baked
beans and extraordinary stews.
2020-03-19 22:08:05 UTC
[...]
I´ve never actually seen a "blown" tin in recent years. Does it still
happpen or were those really really ancient tins?

2020-03-19 19:33:18 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 19:08:05 -0300, Nick Odell
I too usually keep good stocks but looking around I'm not as well-stocked
as I thought I was. I chucked out 2 'blown' tins of baked beans* this week
- they don't tin things like they used to - and some other stuff is well
out-of-date, including flour. I tend not to bake just for me - I'd only eat
it leaving no room for 'real' food. For reasons I can't explain I have 3
full bottles of Fairy liquid yet canned fish stocks are very low.
*Not something I usually buy, I probably got those in for Ray when I was
going off to stay with a daughter. I think he brought his boys up on baked
beans and extraordinary stews.
I´ve never actually seen a "blown" tin in recent years. Does it still
happpen or were those really really ancient tins?
I think the BB date was 2012, I probably bought them in 2010. I would have
been less surprised had they been the ring-pull variety which I don't
really trust.
2020-03-19 14:39:03 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 13:38:42 +0000, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
(1) I remember that in the 50s our local sirens were tested by
sounding the all-clear at IIRC 13:00 each Friday.
I remember ours in the village near Watford where I grew up. I couldn't say
which day or time it was sounded, I was very small at the time.

The other regular sound of my childhood was the Ovaltine factory hooter
every morning - we lived next to the Ovaltine farm (mostly chickens but a
few pigs), the factory was about a mile away (now the other side of the
M25).
2020-03-19 16:54:21 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
(1) I remember that in the 50s our local sirens were tested by
sounding the all-clear at IIRC 13:00 each Friday.
I remember ours in the village near Watford where I grew up. I couldn't say
which day or time it was sounded, I was very small at the time.
The other regular sound of my childhood was the Ovaltine factory hooter
every morning - we lived next to the Ovaltine farm (mostly chickens but a
few pigs), the factory was about a mile away (now the other side of the
M25).
Until I left work 10.00am on the first Tuesday of each month was testing
for the sirens that would signal a radioactive release from Harwell. Two
things came from that - a) what would happen if there was a release at
10.00am on the first ..., and b) memo to self, don't arrange meetings
with external visitors for the first Tuesday....

john
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-03-19 17:42:44 UTC
(1) I remember that in the 50s our local sirens were tested by sounding
the all-clear at IIRC 13:00 each Friday.
I remember ours in the village near Watford where I grew up. I couldn't
say which day or time it was sounded, I was very small at the time.
The other regular sound of my childhood was the Ovaltine factory hooter
every morning - we lived next to the Ovaltine farm (mostly chickens but
a few pigs), the factory was about a mile away (now the other side of
the M25).
A landmark on the train too and from Liverpool, no less.

Anne B
2020-03-19 20:44:45 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
(1) I remember that in the 50s our local sirens were tested by sounding
the all-clear at IIRC 13:00 each Friday.
I remember ours in the village near Watford where I grew up. I couldn't
say which day or time it was sounded, I was very small at the time.
The other regular sound of my childhood was the Ovaltine factory hooter
every morning - we lived next to the Ovaltine farm (mostly chickens but
a few pigs), the factory was about a mile away (now the other side of
the M25).
A landmark on the train too and from Liverpool, no less.
We were kept to time by the hooters of Don Bros weaving factory, which
we referred to as 'the bummers', They sounded several times a day.

Anne B
Nick Odell
2020-03-19 22:06:23 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 13:38:42 +0000, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:
<snip>
Post by Chris J Dixon
The disappearance of stocks of flour of all kinds makes me wonder
exactly what everybody is going to be baking. Some folk must have
just grabbed whatever was left, in desperation, and may well get
interesting culinary results.
I keep well stocked up with all kinds of flour. If, for instance, I
couldn´t get strong flour I have a couple of recipes for bread and
pasta that work pretty well with ordinary plain flour and a pizza base
which uses self-raising flour.

2020-03-20 03:01:14 UTC
On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 13:38:42, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:
[]
Post by Chris J Dixon
The disappearance of stocks of flour of all kinds makes me wonder
[]
I had a shopping run into Ashford this afternoon; I went to Lidl and
Tesco. (This isn't despicable bulk-buying; I usually go to Lidl for the
main shop, then Sains or T for things Lidl doesn't have - usually Sains
as they have a caff, but that's shut for the moment.)

No milk or bread - not UHT, not even powdered. (I don't know if you can
still _get_ powdered - my mum used to keep a "bottle" of it in case she
ever ran out.) Even teacakes. The stores weren't particularly busy - and
people being very polite. (The checkout people told me it'd been hectic
earlier in the day - and also that the shelves had been full.)

What I found just as interesting was the things that _were_ there - i.
e. what people _weren't_ buying. I could have had as many strawberries
as I wanted (currently from Spain), or raspberries; a lot of vegetables
_were_ out (e. g. baby plum or cherry tomatoes), but there were plenty
of radishes (I buy radishes); in ready meals and the like, the vegan
options were plentiful; in microwave popcorn, the cinnamon box was full.
Plenty of limes, peaches/netarines. In breakfast cereals in Lidl, their
box of Shreddies-alike was nearly full, with most of the others gone.
Plenty of beef steaks, but very little pork (I guess that's on price).
Lots of Pot Noodle type products. Very little in tins (baked beans ad
the like). Plenty of vitamin B variants, and multivitamins, but no C.
Even ibuprofen (plenty of Nurofen, but even some Tesco own-brand), but
no paracetamol (or I think aspirin). Cold powders no blackcurrant, but
lemon. Lots of cakes, but no buns of any sort - except hot-cross in Lidl
(wish I'd got some; I wanted teacakes though, which I knew Lidl didn't
have anyway). The "free from" aisle well stocked (I'm guessing as it
costs more; I don't know, as I have no need for such). Soft drinks - the
2 litre bottles - mostly cola in its various incarnations (though I
think full-sugar wasn't evident, only diet). Quite a lot of Easter eggs.

"I hate the guys that criticize the enterprise of other guys whose enterprise
has made them rise above the guys who criticize!" (W9BRD, former editor of
"How's DX?" column in "QST")
Penny
2020-03-20 08:18:17 UTC
On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 03:01:14 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
No milk or bread - not UHT, not even powdered. (I don't know if you can
still _get_ powdered - my mum used to keep a "bottle" of it in case she
ever ran out.)
I *only* buy dried milk, unless I'm expecting a family visit.
2020-03-20 23:15:25 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
No milk or bread - not UHT, not even powdered. (I don't know if you can
still _get_ powdered - my mum used to keep a "bottle" of it in case she
ever ran out.)
I *only* buy dried milk, unless I'm expecting a family visit.
I thought I ought to get some - can you tell me what it looks like these
days (I mean packaging, maybe a brand name - not the product itself,
which I presume is still a white powder!) - and maybe what aisle it's
in? When my mum used to buy it, it came in a plastic "bottle", but that
was decades ago.

I saw a cartoon of Arnold Schwarzenegger with a big pack of toilet rolls
on his shoulder, saying where he found it: "Aisle B. Back."

IGMC ...

I don't have an agree that our language torture is a quality add
- soldiersailor on Gransnet, 2018-3-8
Min
2020-03-20 23:42:53 UTC
I struck Gold tonight! Wandering into the Co-Op (both) for
Something Else, I found not only Warburtons Thins (at Full
(Exorbitant) price) but a 4 pack of Andrex!
Min
Penny
2020-03-21 00:04:33 UTC
On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 23:15:25 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
No milk or bread - not UHT, not even powdered. (I don't know if you can
still _get_ powdered - my mum used to keep a "bottle" of it in case she
ever ran out.)
I *only* buy dried milk, unless I'm expecting a family visit.
I thought I ought to get some - can you tell me what it looks like these
days (I mean packaging, maybe a brand name - not the product itself,
which I presume is still a white powder!) - and maybe what aisle it's
in? When my mum used to buy it, it came in a plastic "bottle", but that
was decades ago.
Marvel is the only brand name I know. It comes in a fat blue cardboard tub
with a plastic lid. I think Tesco packaging is similar but the label is
red. I usually get mine in Morrisons in a plastic resealable pouch - and
then fold it down and keep that inside one of the empty tubs, decanting a
little at a time into a smaller container for daily use. But I use less
than a teaspoonful a day unless I'm making pancakes. You can mix it up and
keep it in a jug (or washed milk bottle, I suppose) 4.5 heaped tablespoons
to a pint of water, I think, but instructions will be on the label. If
using it in a hot drink, sprinkle the powder on the drink before stirring
it in or it clumps.
2020-03-21 01:13:34 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 at 00:04:33, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:
in? When my mum used to buy it, it came in a plastic "bottle", but that
was decades ago.
Marvel is the only brand name I know. It comes in a fat blue cardboard tub
I remember that one now. I think the "bottle" might have been
Sainsbury's OB.
Post by Penny
with a plastic lid. I think Tesco packaging is similar but the label is
red. I usually get mine in Morrisons in a plastic resealable pouch - and
then fold it down and keep that inside one of the empty tubs, decanting a
little at a time into a smaller container for daily use. But I use less
than a teaspoonful a day unless I'm making pancakes. You can mix it up and
keep it in a jug (or washed milk bottle, I suppose) 4.5 heaped tablespoons
to a pint of water, I think, but instructions will be on the label. If
using it in a hot drink, sprinkle the powder on the drink before stirring
it in or it clumps.
All noted, thanks.

...Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
Joe Kerr
2020-03-21 12:40:29 UTC
Marvel is the only brand name I know. It comes in a fat blue cardboard tub
I remember that one now. I think the "bottle" might have been
Sainsbury's OB.
Very possibly. It had an orange lid.
Ric
steve hague
2020-03-21 13:10:58 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
You can get it in Aldi, but it's called Coffee Whitener.
2020-03-21 13:16:01 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 13:10:58 +0000, steve hague <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by steve hague
Post by Penny
Marvel is the only brand name I know. It comes in a fat blue cardboard tub
with a plastic lid. I think Tesco packaging is similar but the label is
red. I usually get mine in Morrisons in a plastic resealable pouch - and
then fold it down and keep that inside one of the empty tubs, decanting a
little at a time into a smaller container for daily use. But I use less
than a teaspoonful a day unless I'm making pancakes. You can mix it up and
keep it in a jug (or washed milk bottle, I suppose) 4.5 heaped tablespoons
to a pint of water, I think, but instructions will be on the label. If
using it in a hot drink, sprinkle the powder on the drink before stirring
it in or it clumps.
You can get it in Aldi, but it's called Coffee Whitener.
Coffee whitener is not dried milk.
2020-03-21 09:18:47 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I thought I ought to get some - can you tell me what it looks like these
days (I mean packaging, maybe a brand name - not the product itself,
which I presume is still a white powder!) - and maybe what aisle it's
in? When my mum used to buy it, it came in a plastic "bottle", but that
was decades ago.
Not much chance of that now! They even removed the milk I had checked
out for Tuesday from my order and the long life or powdered I tried to
order were not available. Not checked Sainsburys but Tescos have none,
nor Morrisons.
Sally Thompson
2020-03-21 12:28:37 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I thought I ought to get some - can you tell me what it looks like these
days (I mean packaging, maybe a brand name - not the product itself,
which I presume is still a white powder!) - and maybe what aisle it's
in? When my mum used to buy it, it came in a plastic "bottle", but that
was decades ago.
Not much chance of that now! They even removed the milk I had checked
out for Tuesday from my order and the long life or powdered I tried to
order were not available. Not checked Sainsburys but Tescos have none,
nor Morrisons.
Is there no milkman/woman in your area still? We have always got our milk
delivered, and still do thank goodness.
2020-03-21 18:23:59 UTC
On 21 Mar 2020 12:28:37 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I thought I ought to get some - can you tell me what it looks like these
days (I mean packaging, maybe a brand name - not the product itself,
which I presume is still a white powder!) - and maybe what aisle it's
in? When my mum used to buy it, it came in a plastic "bottle", but that
was decades ago.
Not much chance of that now! They even removed the milk I had checked
out for Tuesday from my order and the long life or powdered I tried to
order were not available. Not checked Sainsburys but Tescos have none,
nor Morrisons.
Is there no milkman/woman in your area still? We have always got our milk
delivered, and still do thank goodness.
Does panic-buying milk involve hijacking the horse and cart?

2020-03-21 17:13:19 UTC
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 15:23:59 -0300, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Does panic-buying milk involve hijacking the horse and cart?
You probably didn't hear the Now Show, Nick, but one of the 'audience'
situation went something like "I realised we were out of milk and then
remembered we have un-weaned foals.".
Paul Herber
2020-03-21 21:01:58 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Does panic-buying milk involve hijacking the horse and cart?
You probably didn't hear the Now Show, Nick, but one of the 'audience'
situation went something like "I realised we were out of milk and then
remembered we have un-weaned foals.".
Nothing wrong with dog milk, full of goodness, full of vitamins, full of marrow-bone
jelly.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Chris McMillan

Oh it's OK. Perhaps a bit more seasoning...
Paul Herber
2020-03-23 14:55:53 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Does panic-buying milk involve hijacking the horse and cart?
You probably didn't hear the Now Show, Nick, but one of the 'audience'
situation went something like "I realised we were out of milk and then
remembered we have un-weaned foals.".
Nothing wrong with dog milk, full of goodness, full of vitamins, full of marrow-bone
jelly.
BTN!
Not intended at BT.
You need to be a Red Dwarf fan.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Chris McMillan
2020-03-23 16:07:59 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Does panic-buying milk involve hijacking the horse and cart?
You probably didn't hear the Now Show, Nick, but one of the 'audience'
situation went something like "I realised we were out of milk and then
remembered we have un-weaned foals.".
Nothing wrong with dog milk, full of goodness, full of vitamins, full of marrow-bone
jelly.
BTN!
Not intended at BT.
You need to be a Red Dwarf fan.
Whoosh. But the late BTMS reckoned I didn’t understand them.

2020-03-22 03:41:23 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
Does panic-buying milk involve hijacking the horse and cart?
You probably didn't hear the Now Show, Nick, but one of the 'audience'
situation went something like "I realised we were out of milk and then
remembered we have un-weaned foals.".
I´ll try and catch that. In the UK I usually use other means to listen
again to BBC Radio but out here I can listen to BBC Sounds without
having to sign in.

2020-03-22 08:36:07 UTC
On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 00:41:23 -0300, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Does panic-buying milk involve hijacking the horse and cart?
You probably didn't hear the Now Show, Nick, but one of the 'audience'
situation went something like "I realised we were out of milk and then
remembered we have un-weaned foals.".
I´ll try and catch that. In the UK I usually use other means to listen
again to BBC Radio but out here I can listen to BBC Sounds without
having to sign in.
It was hard work without an audience, unlike The Last Leg which had a noisy
enough crew to make up for it.
2020-03-20 08:57:39 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I had a shopping run into Ashford this afternoon; I went to Lidl and
Tesco. (This isn't despicable bulk-buying; I usually go to Lidl for the
main shop, then Sains or T for things Lidl doesn't have - usually Sains
as they have a caff, but that's shut for the moment.)
No milk or bread - not UHT, not even powdered. (I don't know if you can
still _get_ powdered - my mum used to keep a "bottle" of it in case she
ever ran out.) Even teacakes. The stores weren't particularly busy - and
people being very polite. (The checkout people told me it'd been hectic
earlier in the day - and also that the shelves had been full.)
Once again this morning Sainsburys was very busy between 7 and 8 a.m,
the designated hour for disabled and OAPs etc. I went past at 7.45
and it was not as full as yesterday, but i expect it might have been
at 7. Still so many vulnerable people in the area! Will this continue
to empty the shelves early daily? Since many disabled and sick get
deliveries of main shops, being unable to do them, I am surprised the
place was so full. I don't go by later, but could when I walk the dog.
Mike Ruddock
2020-03-20 11:16:19 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
I thought the designated crumblies hour was just for yesterday.

Mike Ruddock
Penny
2020-03-20 11:26:00 UTC
On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 11:16:19 +0000, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
I thought the designated crumblies hour was just for yesterday.
Some supermarkets have been limiting it to certain days of the week but it
wasn't a one-off.

My typing is getting worse - when chatting to my daughters yesterday I
tried to use the word 'crumblies' but it came out as 'crumbkies' which I
thought sounded like broken biscuits. D#1 suggested biscuit crumbs on a
keyboard.
For Tesco's it's 9-10 Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays iirc.
Anne B
2020-03-20 21:13:38 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Vicky Ayech
Once again this morning Sainsburys was very busy between 7 and 8 a.m,
the designated hour for disabled and OAPs etc.  I went past at 7.45
and it was not as full as yesterday, but i expect it might have been
at 7.  Still so many vulnerable people in the area! Will this continue
to empty the shelves early daily? Since many disabled and sick get
deliveries of main shops, being unable to do them, I am surprised the
place was so full. I don't go by later, but could when I walk the dog.
I thought the designated crumblies hour was just for yesterday.
For Tesco's it's 9-10 Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays iirc.
yrc. They have been advertising that ad nauseam on Classic FM today.

Anne B
Anne B
2020-03-20 21:12:16 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
The disappearance of stocks of flour of all kinds makes me wonder
[]
I had a shopping run into Ashford this afternoon
I ventured into Morrisons (anticlockwise) in Inverurie on the way home
this afternoon.

I got all the things I wanted except Camembert, and I had to take a
2-pint bottle of milk because there were no single pints.

The flour, pasta and toilet roll shelves were all empty.

There was plenty of most varieties of fresh fruit and veg, and in-store
bakery products, but no branded bread at all. I noticed no other major
gaps on the shelves.

It felt more or less normally busy, with the usual number of trolley
collisions and people blocking aisles while they were consulting
shopping lists, but I didn't have to wait in a queue at the checkout.

I think there may have been some things I forgot to look for, but I have
forgotten what they were, if indeed there were any at all.

I expect the village co-op will be able to supply stuff to fill in any
gaps in my larder.

I could probably survive for a month on the accumulated chutneys and
relishes in my store cupboard, and I found a half of a pack of dried
peas that I am almost sure I brought with me when I moved in here 37
years ago.

Anne B
Serena Blanchflower
2020-03-19 13:59:17 UTC
Post by Kate B
Some supermarkets are saying they will prioritise the elderly and the
self-isolating, but although I have put this in the delivery information
box I see no obvious way to claim any priority. Serena, do they know
about you and give you special access at all? Or do you just book your
slots in the early hours too?
So far, I haven't had a problem and have got slots booked for the next
three weeks. Beyond that, I don't know. I've been wondering how to get
myself on their list of priority customers because I'm still some way
short of 70 so, if they're just going on dob I won't count. That will
be true for a large tranche of the self-isolating though, so I would
hope that they will be thinking about that.
No society can legitimately call itself civilised if a sick person is
denied medical aid because of lack of means. (Aneurin Bevan)
Jane Vernon
2020-03-19 17:45:12 UTC
Post by Kate B
Some supermarkets are saying they will prioritise the elderly and the
self-isolating, but although I have put this in the delivery
information box I see no obvious way to claim any priority. Serena, do
they know about you and give you special access at all? Or do you just
book your slots in the early hours too?
So far, I haven't had a problem and have got slots booked for the next
three weeks.  Beyond that, I don't know.  I've been wondering how to get
myself on their list of priority customers because I'm still some way
short of 70 so, if they're just going on dob I won't count.  That will
be true for a large tranche of the self-isolating though, so I would
hope that they will be thinking about that.
I don't know who you shop with but Waitrose in Henley are snowed under.
I phoned and explained that my parents are 91 and 92 and have been
getting their shopping delivered, but he had no suggestions :( I don't
think Waitrose have a priority list.
--
Jane
BTME

2020-03-19 22:03:51 UTC
On 19-Mar-20 10:56, Kate B wrote:

<swerve>

Wofe received an email from Yodel which said they would still deliver to
the self-isolated, but would leave stuff in your indicated spot & not
hand it over to you.

Good idea! So she tried to indicate where we would want things to be left.

Snag: You are only permitted to select an item from their list of
suggestions, and since we don't have a garage, and... etc. etc. she was
unable to give any usable instructions.

Splendid idea ruined by poor execution.
Min
2020-03-20 00:03:28 UTC
<swerve>
Wofe received an email from Yodel which said they would still deliver to
the self-isolated, but would leave stuff in your indicated spot & not
hand it over to you.
Good idea! So she tried to indicate where we would want things to be left.
Snag: You are only permitted to select an item from their list of
suggestions, and since we don't have a garage, and... etc. etc. she was
unable to give any usable instructions.
Splendid idea ruined by poor execution.
In my (limited) experience of Yodel, they have left stuff exactly where
it suited them!
Min
krw
2020-03-23 10:25:15 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
McT has done something for Iceland where we recently set up home delivery.

2020-03-23 13:04:04 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
I had an email from Sainsbury's saying that I would be given a priority
slot today, and then another first thing saying the slots were open. I
thought I'd let the rush die down, with the inevitable result that I can't
get in. I'm okay for most things but was hoping to get some fruit and veg,
and possibly some frozen veg.
2020-03-23 13:38:39 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
I note that the Iceland.co site now only displays up to Friday for ‘all
booked up’ so presumably, they intend to change the set up shortly. I have
‘declared’ on the site and await the next message...
2020-03-18 15:53:50 UTC
Yes, the chap who delivered my Tesco order, yesterday,
You're the second Umrat who has mentioned a very recent grocery
delivery. When did you order? I've looked at As, Sains, Tes, Morr &
Ice in the last few days and the earliest I could get a delivery was
Asda next Monday. Of the others, I just forget which was which but 3
had no slots available at all and the other had some starting from next
Tues.
I went to our local Spar-type on Monday for milk and bread and it seemed
quite well stocked.
I ordered from Waitrose on Thursday for delivery Tuesday (that was the
first slot available).
2020-03-18 17:56:41 UTC
On 18 Mar 2020 15:53:50 GMT, Sally Thompson
Yes, the chap who delivered my Tesco order, yesterday,
You're the second Umrat who has mentioned a very recent grocery
delivery. When did you order? I've looked at As, Sains, Tes, Morr &
Ice in the last few days and the earliest I could get a delivery was
Asda next Monday. Of the others, I just forget which was which but 3
had no slots available at all and the other had some starting from next
Tues.
I went to our local Spar-type on Monday for milk and bread and it seemed
quite well stocked.
I ordered from Waitrose on Thursday for delivery Tuesday (that was the
first slot available).
I just saw announced Ocado closed their website and ap until Sunday to
rejig it. Is your delivery via that or actual Waitrose?
Sally Thompson
2020-03-18 18:20:27 UTC
On 18 Mar 2020 15:53:50 GMT, Sally Thompson
Yes, the chap who delivered my Tesco order, yesterday,
You're the second Umrat who has mentioned a very recent grocery
delivery. When did you order? I've looked at As, Sains, Tes, Morr &
Ice in the last few days and the earliest I could get a delivery was
Asda next Monday. Of the others, I just forget which was which but 3
had no slots available at all and the other had some starting from next
Tues.
I went to our local Spar-type on Monday for milk and bread and it seemed
quite well stocked.
I ordered from Waitrose on Thursday for delivery Tuesday (that was the
first slot available).
I just saw announced Ocado closed their website and ap until Sunday to
rejig it. Is your delivery via that or actual Waitrose?
Actual Waitrose. Ocado don't deliver to our postcode.
2020-03-20 17:39:17 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Lots of people still trying to get home from the Alps having been stranded
after hotels and ski slopes were closed down.

Sincerely Chris
Paul Herber
2020-03-17 20:39:20 UTC
[...]
After the Ordeal - Genesis
Farewell, Farewell - Fairport Convention
This Flight Tonight - Joni Mitchell (for those trying to get home)
Silence is Golden - Tremeloes (the roads in Spain/France et al)
Deserted Cities of the Heart - Cream (ditto)
Hope You're Feeling Better - Santana
Five Percent For Nothing - Yes (for those who have lost on the stock markets)
Give me Strength - Eric Clapton
Better be Home Soon - Crowded House
Headache Tonight - The Eagles
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2020-03-20 16:55:47 UTC
On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 20:39:20 +0000, Paul Herber
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Joe Jackson - Not Steppin´ Out

2020-03-20 17:39:16 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Last Train to Clarkesville
6.5 Special (or Six Five?)

2020-03-17 21:58:49 UTC
On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 16:13:59, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Someone on twitter posted the following list - seemed to be a picture of
a poster somewhere in the Met(ropolitan Police). Some have already been
thought of by otherrats:

--~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sneazy like Sunday morning
All by myself
covid 19 (come on Eileen)
You give me fever
I would wash 500 hands
(Don't) Stand by me
Bye, Bye, Bye
Virusstarter
My Corona
Land of soap and glory
I'm Ioving hand-gel instead
Killer clean
We are the self-isolation society
We will wash you
Can't touch this
Feeling hot
Everybody Was Kung Flu Fighting
Can't get flu outta my head
Tainted glove
Coughing all over the world
Talkin bout my isolation
Stuck in the middle with flu
I will survive
You're the one that I don't want
Staying Alive
Smells like clean spirit
You're so clean, I bet you think this song is about you
The germs on the bus go round and round
I got flu babe
The Macorona
If your healthy and you know it, wash your hands
Flu York, Flu York
Shake and cough
Never gonna give flu up
The viral countdown
You can leave your mask on
Don't cough back in anger
Covid-eo killed the rado star
Saturday night fever
Don't wanna hold your hand
and
Anything by The Cure

I rather liked the clip (even made it onto BBC News) of Gloria Gaynor
washing her hands to her greatest hit.

Another clip I _really_ liked was the one of two lady violinists who
appeared - complete with life-jackets! - in an (empty) bog-roll aisle,
and played (very nicely, too) "Nearer My God to Thee".

I want to know who would mow Wales if we lost all the sheep. - Penny in
uk.media.radio.archers (in an environmental/ecological thread), 2020-1-1
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-17 22:24:50 UTC
On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 21:58:49, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 16:13:59, Nick Odell
The Coronavirus Song Book.
Someone on twitter posted the following list - seemed to be a picture
Don't wanna hold your hand
and
Anything by The Cure
I rather liked the clip (even made it onto BBC News) of Gloria Gaynor
washing her hands to her greatest hit.
Another clip I _really_ liked was the one of two lady violinists who
appeared - complete with life-jackets! - in an (empty) bog-roll aisle,
and played (very nicely, too) "Nearer My God to Thee".
And after Status Quo (I think it was they) cancelled a tour - their new
album, Quarantinia.

Joe Kerr
2020-03-17 22:34:34 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 at 16:13:59, Nick Odell
The Coronavirus Song Book.
Someone on twitter posted the following list - seemed to be a picture
Don't wanna hold your hand
and
Anything by The Cure
I rather liked the clip (even made it onto BBC News) of Gloria Gaynor
washing her hands to her greatest hit.
Another clip I _really_ liked was the one of two lady violinists who
appeared - complete with life-jackets! - in an (empty) bog-roll aisle,
and played (very nicely, too) "Nearer My God to Thee".
And after Status Quo (I think it was they) cancelled a tour - their new
album, Quarantinia.
Are you perhaps thinking of the album by the rather appropriately named
band The WHO?
Ric
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-03-17 23:19:29 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
And after Status Quo (I think it was they) cancelled a tour - their
new album, Quarantinia.
Are you perhaps thinking of the album by the rather appropriately named
band The WHO?
Sorry, yes, I was. Much fun had on Twitter about the Who following the
WHO's advice (as they are all well into the relevant age bracket). (And
of course I think Quadrophenia was theirs.)

All I ask is to _prove_ that money can't make me happy.
Sam Plusnet
2020-03-17 23:31:36 UTC
[...]
Home Alone - the soundtrack album.