confession
2020-12-29 12:26:28 UTC
The official unofficial fb group were talking about their place being
the only onewhere moderators don't let authority go to their heads and
stop threads of delete them. They've been on other groups about TA,
as I have. They said they'd never stray again. And I posted this

It is possible to belong to this and also enjoy other places to chat
about TA. There has been a usenet group about TA since about 1990
where there is no moderation., It was pre-WWW. There are no photos as
it's not ..is the word binary? Those of that group even met annually
at a BBQ for many years. If any trolls joined they either got bored or
settled down nicely, like Peggy's second Jack ??. Occasionally in
summer members of that group would have a coach trip, virtually, to
another usenet group to chat, and then go home. If you would like a
coach trip from here and are usenet enabled the group is
UK.MEDIA.RADIO.ARCHERS . UMRA. I don't think I am the only Umrat here.
I hope inviting visitors won't cause problems, but you seem to all
know how to behave ??

I hope this is ok. No responses yet and not many will be usenet
enabled.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-12-29 12:40:24 UTC
[...]
Certainly OK by me. Though sadly, these days, most won't just not be
usenet enabled, they will have no idea what usenet - newsgroups - even
is/are. (Yes, binary is what it isn't - sometimes referred to as
text-only. And UMRA started in 1995.)

I don't think I can actually remember any UMRA trolls at all! Even spam
has been pretty minimal, and some of what there has been has been better
targeted than many - I remember one about archery (toxophily), and I
think one about garden furniture/barbecues.

If this power [television] is ever brought to mechanical perfection, there is
little reason, except the desire to be gregarious, that anyone but a few
should go in person to any place of entertainment again. - BBC yearbook 1930
Steve Hague
2020-12-29 13:18:24 UTC
Certainly OK by me. Though sadly, these days, most won't just not be
usenet enabled, they will have no idea what usenet - newsgroups - even
is/are. (Yes, binary is what it isn't - sometimes referred to as
text-only. And UMRA started in 1995.)
I don't think I can actually remember any UMRA trolls at all! Even spam
has been pretty minimal, and some of what there has been has been better
targeted than many - I remember one about archery (toxophily), and I
think one about garden furniture/barbecues.
We've had the occasional troll, but they've either gone away because we
don't feed them, or found they like the company and changed their behaviour.
2020-12-29 13:19:19 UTC
I don't think I can actually remember any UMRA trolls at all!
What about Peter Percival ?

I have had him kf'ed for year and I know somerats are more tolerant than
me, so I see some of his posts. Hard to describe his recent comments
about that evil bastard George Blake as anything but trolling.

YMMV
Steve Hague
2020-12-29 13:49:22 UTC
I don't think I can actually remember any UMRA trolls at all!
What about Peter Percival ?
I have had him kf'ed for year and I know somerats are more tolerant than
me, so I see some of his posts. Hard to describe his recent comments
about that evil bastard George Blake as anything but trolling.
YMMV
He used to troll here as Frederick Williams, but I think his recent
behaviour has been reasonable. I disagree with him, but not to the point
of kf yet.
2020-12-29 14:39:02 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I don't think I can actually remember any UMRA trolls at all!
What about Peter Percival ?
I have had him kf'ed for year and I know somerats are more tolerant
than me, so I see some of his posts. Hard to describe his recent
comments about that evil bastard George Blake as anything but trolling.
YMMV
Yes, he might be a troll. I had memories of having kfd him somewhere.
Post by Steve Hague
He used to troll here as Frederick Williams, but I think his recent
behaviour has been reasonable. I disagree with him, but not to the
point of kf yet.
Steve
Yes, same here. I haven't got to the point of kfing here; like you, I
disagree with some of what he says, but that's all.

"The people here are more educated and intelligent. Even stupid people in
Britain are smarter than Americans." Madonna, in RT 30 June-6July 2001 (page
32)
DavidK
2020-12-29 17:34:46 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
He used to troll here as Frederick Williams, but I think his recent
behaviour has been reasonable. I disagree with him, but not to the
point of kf yet.
Steve
Yes, same here. I haven't got to the point of kfing here; like you, I
disagree with some of what he says, but that's all.
I looked and found I had five kill-file entries for umra. I had
forgotten them, except for that madman who sued everyone standing, such
as the prime-minister.
Steve Hague
2020-12-29 18:29:38 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Steve Hague
He used to troll here as Frederick Williams, but I think his recent
behaviour has been reasonable. I disagree with him, but not to the
point of kf yet.
Steve
Yes, same here. I haven't got to the point of kfing here; like you, I
disagree with some of what he says, but that's all.
I looked and found I had five kill-file entries for umra. I had
forgotten them, except for that madman who sued everyone standing, such
as the prime-minister.
I don't remeber him. I have only two people kf'd on usenet, neither of
them on umra.
Mike Headon
2020-12-30 14:43:01 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
He used to troll here as Frederick Williams, but I think his recent
behaviour has been reasonable. I disagree with him, but not to the
point of kf yet.
Steve
Yes, same here. I haven't got to the point of kfing here; like you, I
disagree with some of what he says, but that's all.
But why would you want to knicker-flash him? ( /s as they say on some
other apps).
--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R
2020-12-29 18:35:52 UTC
I don't think I can actually remember any UMRA trolls at all!
What about Peter Percival ?
I have had him kf'ed for year and I know somerats are more tolerant than
me, so I see some of his posts. Hard to describe his recent comments
about that evil bastard George Blake as anything but trolling.
YMMV
I have him kf'ed too and only see his posts if someone answers and quotes
him.
2020-12-29 22:33:08 UTC
I don't think I can actually remember any UMRA trolls at all!
What about Peter Percival ?
I have had him kf'ed for year and I know somerats are more tolerant than
me, so I see some of his posts. Hard to describe his recent comments
about that evil bastard George Blake as anything but trolling.
YMMV
He reappears from time to time, starts off with a few innocuous posts,
and gradually shifts into troll-mode.
That is certainly more insidious than the more common batsh!t trolls who
have turned many newsgroups into deserts.