O/T R4 Relativity
2019-01-25 11:40:00 UTC
Friday 11:30 ... was this written by an Umrat???!!!
2019-01-25 21:11:11 UTC
On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 11:40:00 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Friday 11:30 ... was this written by an Umrat???!!!
I think that suggestion is a bit of a red herring.
2019-01-26 10:48:37 UTC
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Friday 11:30 ... was this written by an Umrat???!!!
I think that suggestion is a bit of a red herring.
I liked the idea of typing an email then packing up the laptop to post it
so the recipient could read what had been typed, then write a reply and
post the laptop back!
2019-01-26 15:19:33 UTC
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 10:48:37 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Friday 11:30 ... was this written by an Umrat???!!!
I think that suggestion is a bit of a red herring.
I liked the idea of typing an email then packing up the laptop to post it
so the recipient could read what had been typed, then write a reply and
post the laptop back!
:)
I must listen again, I missed that bit.

I read yesterday of somebody's mother who, when told to reboot her computer
by turning it off and on again, switched off the monitor, waited a bit then
switched it back on.
2019-01-26 15:23:37 UTC
in the dust...
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Friday 11:30 ... was this written by an Umrat???!!!
I think that suggestion is a bit of a red herring.
I liked the idea of typing an email then packing up the laptop to post it
so the recipient could read what had been typed, then write a reply and
post the laptop back!
:)
I must listen again, I missed that bit.
I read yesterday of somebody's mother who, when told to reboot her computer
by turning it off and on again, switched off the monitor, waited a bit then
switched it back on.
That worked with our Amstrad PCW 8512’s!
2019-01-27 07:51:32 UTC
in the dust...
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Friday 11:30 ... was this written by an Umrat???!!!
I think that suggestion is a bit of a red herring.
I liked the idea of typing an email then packing up the laptop to post it
so the recipient could read what had been typed, then write a reply and
post the laptop back!
:)
I must listen again, I missed that bit.
I read yesterday of somebody's mother who, when told to reboot her computer
by turning it off and on again, switched off the monitor, waited a bit then
switched it back on.
That worked with our Amstrad PCW 8512’s!
With ours, too! I sometimes long for the simpler days when an Amstrad
was the most sophisticated technology in our house.

Yesterday, as I watched my friend in Chicago entertain my baby
granddaughter through the medium of my phone, I wished my dad could have
seen it. I still have the handheld calculator he was so proud of, that
printed onto little rolls of thermal paper.
2019-01-27 09:20:46 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Penny
in the dust...
in the dust...
Post by Mike
[...]
When we got our first PC we also had a cd player for music. We were
techi advanced! I listened to a cd of music and wanted to change to
another and went to the cd player to expell the cd but the music went
on. I ....I am now wondering if it was the other way round as I
remember thinking the computer was haunted and meant to keep playing
the cd to show disapproval of that kind ofmusic. Whichever friend
came to my assistance pressed the button on the computer to eject the
cd, from a little shelf I'd not noticed, so it must be the other way
round. It's the way I tell them......

Speaking of stand-up, I am still loving Mrs Maisel. We're almost
through series 2 now and I don't want it to end. I love her whole
family, especially the almost ex. I like how nobody is black or
white. They are all mixtures of good and horrible.
LFS
2019-01-27 09:43:16 UTC
Speaking of stand-up, I am still loving Mrs Maisel. We're almost
through series 2 now and I don't want it to end. I love her whole
family, especially the almost ex. I like how nobody is black or
white. They are all mixtures of good and horrible.
I still have withdrawal symptoms from Mrs M (the almost ex is *so*
good!) but I recently found Shtisel on Netflix, a rather unusual soap
about an ultra Orthodox family. There have only been only two series and
I only have one episode left. And I've almost finished Grace and Frankie
but I think that's gone off slightly.
2019-01-27 11:17:58 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Vicky Ayech
Speaking of stand-up, I am still loving Mrs Maisel. We're almost
through series 2 now and I don't want it to end. I love her whole
family, especially the almost ex. I like how nobody is black or
white. They are all mixtures of good and horrible.
I still have withdrawal symptoms from Mrs M (the almost ex is *so*
good!) but I recently found Shtisel on Netflix, a rather unusual soap
about an ultra Orthodox family. There have only been only two series and
I only have one episode left. And I've almost finished Grace and Frankie
but I think that's gone off slightly.
I did find Shtisel but haven't watched it as it looked too..ethnic? I
had to give up Grace and Frankie after about 6 episodes. Like
Transparent. Too obvious and wasted the talent of four good actors.
Jane Vernon
2019-01-27 13:39:54 UTC
Post by LFS
but I think that's gone off slightly.
Yes, I'm on episode 9 and also thought it has gone off a bit. I wonder
if it's the last ever series. Grace is admitting to being 80, which is
Jane Fonda's age. Not sure what else they can do with it and there is a
feeling of tying off loose ends.
--
Jane
BTME

2019-01-27 10:15:34 UTC
Speaking of stand-up, I am still loving Mrs Maisel.
We're all different. I gave it a go but just didn't see any merit in it
at all.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Vicky Ayech
2019-01-27 11:21:53 UTC
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:15:34 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Speaking of stand-up, I am still loving Mrs Maisel.
We're all different. I gave it a go but just didn't see any merit in it
at all.
I suspect it might be a niche thing, Jenny. I don't know anyone
completely like any of the characters but I know someone like every
bit of each of them :). There are very culture intensive books or
programmes. I have a gf who writes detective stories and she is
orthodox Jewish and sets them in that world. I read one and as a
detective story it was good enough but I didn't want to hang out in
that world.

To be fair that can happen with other authors too. I want to be able
to spend my time with their characters. Am currently re-reading The
Grand Sophy, Georgette Heyer, as one of the books I read and time with
her books is like eating chocolate.
Vicky Ayech
2019-01-27 11:46:03 UTC
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 10:15:34 +0000, Jenny M Benson
Speaking of stand-up, I am still loving Mrs Maisel.
We're all different. I gave it a go but just didn't see any merit in it
at all.
Big Bang Theory is sort of like Mrs M in the way that is is a minority
culture :). I came to it late and we have lots more to watch, luckily.
I love it and recognise all sorts of situations and behaviours.
John Ashby
2019-01-26 18:45:24 UTC
in the dust...
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Friday 11:30 ... was this written by an Umrat???!!!
I think that suggestion is a bit of a red herring.
I liked the idea of typing an email then packing up the laptop to post it
so the recipient could read what had been typed, then write a reply and
post the laptop back!
:)
I must listen again, I missed that bit.
I read yesterday of somebody's mother who, when told to reboot her computer
by turning it off and on again, switched off the monitor, waited a bit then
switched it back on.
I was once visited by a Health and Safety inspection at work where the
department representative waggled a power lead and hard rebooted my
computer. Ane this was before the days of autosave.

2019-01-26 23:53:26 UTC
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 18:45:24 +0000, John Ashby <***@yahoo.com>
I read yesterday of somebody's mother who, when told to reboot her computer
by turning it off and on again, switched off the monitor, waited a bit then
switched it back on.
I was once visited by a Health and Safety inspection at work where the
department representative waggled a power lead and hard rebooted my
computer. Ane this was before the days of autosave.
I may well have told this tale before...

Many years ago I used to input the customer account data on a luggable at
home when childcare allowed, then print the invoices at the end of the
month. At the end of the day I would save the work I'd done and then back
it up onto large floppy discs, all of which took half an hour or so.

I usually worked in the little front room but we had just acquired a new
kitten and I didn't want her in there so I set up my work on the dining
room table (there's a pic of her asleep in my in tray somewhere). When my
3 year-old was dropped off from nursery I had just a few more entries to
make so, having found my daughter a drink and a snack I sat back down at
the table to finish off and start the save process.

My daughter was not happy about this and after a couple of "In a minute."s
from me she walked up to the table and pulled the plug out of the back of
the computer :(
Clive Arthur
2019-01-26 18:51:59 UTC
in the dust...
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Friday 11:30 ... was this written by an Umrat???!!!
I think that suggestion is a bit of a red herring.
I liked the idea of typing an email then packing up the laptop to post it
so the recipient could read what had been typed, then write a reply and
post the laptop back!
:)
I must listen again, I missed that bit.
I read yesterday of somebody's mother who, when told to reboot her computer
by turning it off and on again, switched off the monitor, waited a bit then
switched it back on.
Did she write "click" on the desk top?

Cheers
--