spoiler 18.11.20
2020-11-18 22:41:20 UTC
I spent a lot of time complaining about the way story lines were
allowed to die without closing properly. I did say I hope the Alice
one would develop properly but am not sure now I can listen after
tonight. It was just too much for me. Surely they could have conveyed
the way the story would go and given the public service information
without a scene that graphic and harrowing?

Also elsewhere it has been suggested that Chris should have phoned for
an ambulance. I thought perhaps he should have phoned the midwife or
the Maternity department. Even calling one of their mothers would have
been better than handing Alice more alcohol. And it was apparently
dangerous not to get some help or give her a drink.

Part of my complaint is that I think the listeners are struggling
enough with life at the moment without traumatic and horrible
episodes.
Anne B

Anne B
DavidK
2020-11-19 09:37:08 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Well, it wasn't entertaining, but it was educational. I didn't realise
that alcohol-dependency could be so physical, I had assumed it was
purely mental.

It may upset a lot of people, but I wonder how many people, especially
with lock-down causing stress, will drink less alcohol because they
worry that they might also become so dependent.
Peter
2020-11-19 15:09:02 UTC
I spent a lot of time complaining about the way story lines were
allowed to die without closing properly. I did say I hope the Alice
one would develop properly but am not sure now I can listen after
tonight. It was just too much for me. Surely they could have conveyed
the way the story would go and given the public service information
without a scene that graphic and harrowing?
Also elsewhere it has been suggested that Chris should have phoned for
an ambulance. I thought perhaps he should have phoned the midwife or
the Maternity department. Even calling one of their mothers would have
been better than handing Alice more alcohol. And it was apparently
dangerous not to get some help or give her a drink.
Part of my complaint is that I think the listeners are struggling
enough with life at the moment without traumatic and horrible
episodes.
How do you lock someone in a bathroom? The bathrooms I've used were
always lockable from the inside only.
--
When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally
recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to
Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays
Mike McMillan
2020-11-19 15:43:23 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
You might well ask, as did Toodles of Mrs. Toodles last evening. Can’t
think of any rational reason to lock a barfroom (see what I did there after
morning sickness) from the outside?!
2020-11-19 15:55:35 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I can remember my small brother and cousin locking themselves in the
"bathroom" and we had to do the classic trick of persuading them to take
the key out of the lock and push it under the door. It was an old house
and I can't remember if the real bathroom had a similar lock.
BrritSki
2020-11-19 16:29:29 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Mike McMillan
You might well ask, as did Toodles of Mrs. Toodles last evening. Can’t
think of any rational reason to lock a barfroom (see what I did there
after morning sickness) from the outside?!
I can remember my small brother and cousin locking themselves in the
"bathroom" and we had to do the classic trick of persuading them to take
the key out of the lock and push it under the door. It was an old house
and I can't remember if the real bathroom had a similar lock.
Eldest grand-daughter locked herself in our bathroom, but luckily she
was able to unlock and open the window so I could get in with a ladder.

I should have fixed the problem then, as a few weeks later the youngest
locked himself in and couldn't unlock window so I had to ask him to
stand back while I kicked the door in.

Luckily it was only the sliding lock that was broken and that was the
cause of the problem. For some reason it had a mechanism that would only
open in a very narrow range that wasn't at all obvious. It even baffled
an adult friend at one point.

The door is now not lockable from any side...

It won;t
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-11-19 16:41:22 UTC
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 16:29:29, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
wrote:
Eldest grand-daughter locked herself in our bathroom, but luckily she
was able to unlock and open the window so I could get in with a ladder.
I should have fixed the problem then, as a few weeks later the youngest
locked himself in and couldn't unlock window so I had to ask him to
stand back while I kicked the door in.
Luckily it was only the sliding lock that was broken and that was the
cause of the problem. For some reason it had a mechanism that would
only open in a very narrow range that wasn't at all obvious. It even
baffled an adult friend at one point.
The door is now not lockable from any side...
It won;t
(Not sure what happened at the end there.)

I've seen ones that lock to give reasonable privacy, but the bit you
turn has a thing like a huge screw head that turns on the outside, which
can be turned with a coin if a small child gets trapped (or a frail
person falls or otherwise needs help).

"Mary Poppins is a junkie" - bumper sticker on Julie Andrews' car in the '60s
Tony Smith
2020-11-19 18:38:08 UTC
At my grandparents' house in the '50s every door, including that of the bathroom, had a proper lock, keyhole and key.
Peter
2020-11-19 18:52:17 UTC
[...]
Such things are the Norm in 'otels.
Vicky Ayech
2020-11-19 21:34:40 UTC
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 16:29:29 +0000, BrritSki
Post by BrritSki
Post by DavidK
[...]
The daughter who didn't flood the bathroom and bathe my bedroom in
scent locked herself in the downstairs cloakroom. I think we talked
her into unlocking it eventually. The window was too small to get in
through.
Vicky Ayech
2020-11-19 19:32:12 UTC
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:43:23 GMT, Mike McMillan
Post by Peter
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Imagine you have a naughty toddler who tippy toes out of her bedroom,
having climbed out of the cot, and goes across the landing to the
bathroom. She puts the plug in the sink and turns the tap on. You are
downstairs andthe first you know of it is when you hear water dripping
down into the porch, which is under the bathroom.

Another day the same toddler goes into your bedroom and manages to
spill perfume.
You put a bolt on the outside of her bedroom door and on yours, high
up so she can't reach it. Luckliy the insurance pays for a new
bathroom carpet, as that was fitted and ruined.
Penny
2020-11-20 10:51:17 UTC
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 19:32:12 +0000, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Imagine you have a naughty toddler who tippy toes out of her bedroom,
having climbed out of the cot, and goes across the landing to the
bathroom. She puts the plug in the sink and turns the tap on. You are
downstairs andthe first you know of it is when you hear water dripping
down into the porch, which is under the bathroom.
Another day the same toddler goes into your bedroom and manages to
spill perfume.
You put a bolt on the outside of her bedroom door and on yours, high
up so she can't reach it.
I fitted bolts to the outside of both the children's bedroom doors and the
husgod cut and fitted little framed doors into the doors at adult height so
we could reach in and move things away from the door if it got blocked with
toys. This was partly because one of the rooms opened directly onto the
staircase and there wasn't room for a stairgate as well.

I never fitted a bolt to the outside of my bedroom door, the latch was too
high for a toddler - who wouldn't be able to get that far in the morning
anyway - but I did put one on the inside.
2020-11-20 11:24:44 UTC
[...]
We had the same daughters :)
They are fine upstanding citizens now. Second daughter has a little
climber though, very like she was. Even his expressions in photos are
similar to some of her's.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-11-20 12:15:21 UTC
You put a bolt on the outside of her bedroom door and on yours, high
up so she can't reach it.
I fitted bolts to the outside of both the children's bedroom doors and the
[]
OK, I've resisted as long as I can:

While the guard/parent had the door open, the prisoner/toddler made a
bolt for it.

(Kaboom ching. IGMC.)
Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you. -Richard
Nick Odell
2020-11-20 12:14:39 UTC
On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 10:51:17 +0000, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

<snip>
Post by Penny
I fitted bolts to the outside of both the children's bedroom doors and the
husgod cut and fitted little framed doors into the doors at adult height...
Would you say the husgod was more like Mr Barrowclough or Mr Mackay?

Nick
Tony Bryer
2020-11-22 08:35:21 UTC
I fitted bolts to the outside of both the children's bedroom doors and the
husgod cut and fitted little framed doors into the doors at adult height so
we could reach in and move things away from the door if it got blocked with
toys.
Here smaller toilets and bathrooms need to have their doors hung on lift-off
hinges. The pin on the frame part of the hinge only projects around 10mm and
the door is hung with an overside gap at the top. If someone collapses against
the door, it's still possible to remove it by wedging it up the 10mm so it
comes loose.
Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
Nick Odell
2020-11-22 13:33:42 UTC
On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 19:35:21 +1100, Tony Bryer
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Penny
I fitted bolts to the outside of both the children's bedroom doors and the
husgod cut and fitted little framed doors into the doors at adult height so
we could reach in and move things away from the door if it got blocked with
toys.
Here smaller toilets and bathrooms need to have their doors hung on lift-off
hinges. The pin on the frame part of the hinge only projects around 10mm and
the door is hung with an overside gap at the top. If someone collapses against
the door, it's still possible to remove it by wedging it up the 10mm so it
comes loose.
Now that seems like a sensible idea.

Nick
Peter
2020-11-22 21:28:06 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Penny
I fitted bolts to the outside of both the children's bedroom doors and the
husgod cut and fitted little framed doors into the doors at adult height so
we could reach in and move things away from the door if it got blocked with
toys.
Here smaller toilets and bathrooms need to have their doors hung on lift-off
hinges. The pin on the frame part of the hinge only projects around 10mm and
the door is hung with an overside gap at the top. If someone collapses against
the door, it's still possible to remove it by wedging it up the 10mm so it
comes loose.
Now that seems like a sensible idea.
Nick
Maybe it will catch on?
Mike McMillan
2020-11-23 08:47:37 UTC
Post by Tony Bryer
Post by Penny
I fitted bolts to the outside of both the children's bedroom doors and the
husgod cut and fitted little framed doors into the doors at adult height so
we could reach in and move things away from the door if it got blocked with
toys.
Here smaller toilets and bathrooms need to have their doors hung on lift-off
hinges. The pin on the frame part of the hinge only projects around 10mm and
the door is hung with an overside gap at the top. If someone collapses against
the door, it's still possible to remove it by wedging it up the 10mm so it
comes loose.
Now that seems like a sensible idea.
Nick
Maybe it will catch on?
Not during lockdown...
2020-11-19 16:12:41 UTC
Post by Peter
How do you lock someone in a bathroom? The bathrooms I've used were
always lockable from the inside only.
Oops, I pressed the wrong button and, initially sent my reply to Peter,
rather than the group. Second time lucky, I hope...

Older houses often have/had key-operated locks which can be worked from
whichever side has the key. I assume Chris and Alice's house has such
an old-fashioned door.
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned." (Buddha)
Chris McMillan
2020-11-20 16:15:31 UTC
Post by Peter
How do you lock someone in a bathroom? The bathrooms I've used were
always lockable from the inside only.
Oops, I pressed the wrong button and, initially sent my reply to Peter,
rather than the group. Second time lucky, I hope...
Older houses often have/had key-operated locks which can be worked from
whichever side has the key. I assume Chris and Alice's house has such
an old-fashioned door.
Can’t even think where they shack up. Was it another of the holiday things
on Home Farm like Krait blagged from Brine as she didn’t get a stake in the
farm?

2020-11-20 16:21:14 UTC
Post by Peter
How do you lock someone in a bathroom? The bathrooms I've used were
always lockable from the inside only.
Oops, I pressed the wrong button and, initially sent my reply to Peter,
rather than the group. Second time lucky, I hope...
Older houses often have/had key-operated locks which can be worked from
whichever side has the key. I assume Chris and Alice's house has such
an old-fashioned door.
Can’t even think where they shack up. Was it another of the holiday things
on Home Farm like Krait blagged from Brine as she didn’t get a stake in the
farm?
Sincerely Chris
Perhaps they live ‘over the forge’ - heating would not be a problem in the
colder times.
2020-11-20 16:34:21 UTC
Can’t even think where they shack up. Was it another of the holiday things
on Home Farm like Krait blagged from Brine as she didn’t get a stake in the
farm?
Yes. Jenny gave Kate and Alice a cottage apiece, when Brian shared the
farm between Adam, Debbie and Ruairi. This was then taken back (aka had
been forgotten about) when the partnership was formed but Alice and
Chris are still living in Alice's. Krait, IIRC, had opted to have hers
rented out, while she lived at Home Farm.
For all that has been, thanks. For all that shall be, yes. (Dag
Hammarskjold)
krw
2020-11-21 14:06:23 UTC
Can’t even think where they shack up.  Was it another of the holiday
things
on Home Farm like Krait blagged from Brine as she didn’t get a stake in the
farm?
Yes.  Jenny gave Kate and Alice a cottage apiece, when Brian shared the
farm between Adam, Debbie and Ruairi.  This was then taken back (aka had
been forgotten about) when the partnership was formed but Alice and
Chris are still living in Alice's.  Krait, IIRC, had opted to have hers
rented out, while she lived at Home Farm.
Alice and Chris owned theirs at one stage as it was used as security to
buy the forge (which I don't think is actually in the village). Any
lawyer would have advised against handing it back to take a small share
in a family partnership given the instability of such a structure.
2020-11-21 14:17:44 UTC
Yes.  Jenny gave Kate and Alice a cottage apiece, when Brian shared
Alice and Chris owned theirs at one stage as it was used as security to
buy the forge (which I don't think is actually in the village). Any
lawyer would have advised against handing it back to take a small share
in a family partnership given the instability of such a structure.
Do we know if the mortgage (is it called that when buying a business?
Loan, if not) to buy the forge (which I don't think is in the village
either; it was an established business, and I don't think is on any of
the maps [where _is_ it?]) has been paid off?

With the normal lack of financial information, I doubt we know - nor how
much of the cost of the business (a quarter? 90%?) was borrowed in the
first place.

"Bother," said Pooh, as Eeyore sneezed the crack all over Owl.
Sam Plusnet
2020-11-21 19:43:58 UTC
 Yes.  Jenny gave Kate and Alice a cottage apiece, when Brian shared
Alice and Chris owned theirs at one stage as it was used as security
to buy the forge (which I don't think is actually in the village).
Any lawyer would have advised against handing it back to take a small
share in a family partnership given the instability of such a structure.
Do we know if the mortgage (is it called that when buying a business?
Loan, if not) to buy the forge (which I don't think is in the village
either; it was an established business, and I don't think is on any of
the maps [where _is_ it?]) has been paid off?
Heisenberg's scriptwriting principle states that this will remain
inchoate, until a scriptwriter has a need to have the answer be:

"Yes"
"No"
or
"The loan paperwork was destroyed in a freak accident, but a forged set
of paperwork might be discovered at any moment now."
2020-11-21 22:57:01 UTC
[...]
I'm sure Chris could help with the forging ...

You make it from scratch?
Yep.
Do you make your own scratch?
"pyotr filipivich" in alt.windows7.general 2017-5-20
Mike McMillan
2020-11-22 08:55:51 UTC
[...]
When he has finished ‘cooking the books’.
2020-11-22 14:10:19 UTC
[...]
Yes Chris was celebrating being debt free at one point and so the
cottage could be magically handed back to Biriani for incorporation in
the new partnership. Quite why Krait gets the income from lets and not
the partnership I have not worked out.
2020-11-21 15:33:30 UTC
Can’t even think where they shack up.  Was it another of the holiday
things
on Home Farm like Krait blagged from Brine as she didn’t get a stake in the
farm?
Yes.  Jenny gave Kate and Alice a cottage apiece, when Brian shared
the farm between Adam, Debbie and Ruairi.  This was then taken back
(aka had been forgotten about) when the partnership was formed but
Alice and Chris are still living in Alice's.  Krait, IIRC, had opted
to have hers rented out, while she lived at Home Farm.
Alice and Chris owned theirs at one stage as it was used as security to
buy the forge (which I don't think is actually in the village).  Any
lawyer would have advised against handing it back to take a small share
in a family partnership given the instability of such a structure.
I don't think there's much doubt that, in this case, it was purely a
case of the scriptwriters (et al) having completely forgotten that the
cottages had previously been given to Kate and Alice.
Q. What will they do if the Forth Bridge collapses?
A. Build a fifth bridge.
Robin Stevens
2020-11-24 19:44:06 UTC
Post by Peter
How do you lock someone in a bathroom? The bathrooms I've used were
always lockable from the inside only.
Oops, I pressed the wrong button and, initially sent my reply to Peter,
rather than the group. Second time lucky, I hope...
Older houses often have/had key-operated locks which can be worked from
whichever side has the key.
Hence the old voyeuristic rhyme:

Land of soap and water,
Hitler's having a bath.
Churchill's looking through the keyhole,
Having a jolly good laugh

and numerous variants ever since.

And while searching for that, I note the existence of the following page
on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possible_monorchism_of_Adolf_Hitler